Palette coloring on MultiGriddlers

Kombinovaný pohled Klasický pohled Stromové zobrazení
Vlákna [ Předchozí | Další ]
toggle
Palette coloring on MultiGriddlers
Odpověď
16.5.11 21:36
The Problem
I'm nearing completion of a rather large multigriddlers that features the Starship Enterprise NX-01. It's a beautiful result--I commend the author.

However, it's also clear that the author took an original picture, converted the entire picture to 8 colors, then divided the resulting picture into 24 squares. The result is a 24-part MultiGriddler that forms a picture with a little color oddness. Convert a sizable picture to 8 colors and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or just solve the NX-01 with me. emoticon

The Solution (READ THIS SECTION)
If the original picture were first divided into 24 parts and then each individual part were scaled down to 8 (or even fewer--5 or 6) colors, the resulting picture would have a much more natural look to it.

Why does this work?
In most pictures, similar colors tend to be grouped together. In the example puzzle, the Enterprise features an orange color on its nacelles (its engines)--this orange consumes an entire color for all 24 pieces, even though its only used in 3 or 4 pieces. As a result, some pieces only use 2 colors because the other 6 colors are too different from what's needed. If these pieces were converted separately, the could use 5 to 8 colors that suited their need. The resulting complete picture would meld together to show an Enterprise composed of well over 20 distinct colors, even though individual puzzles used 5 to 8 each.

Is it really that simple?
Well, it's obviously a lot more work to do it this way. And I'm not sure how the Griddlers creation software works. If it's already doing the conversion to 8 colors on the entire picture for you, then it may not support the solution here. If that's the case, a software tweak would result in cleaner pictures with no extra work for the users. In fact, I'd be willing to lend a hand in tweaking the software if that's the case.

RE: Palette coloring on MultiGriddlers
Odpověď
17.5.11 13:10 jako reakce na Kayvon.
The option to validate and submit single parts and bundle them into a whole multi is already given in the workshop.

I suggest to visit our workshop page and read the options provided by the Griddlers workshop.

I also recommend to look and solve, if you like, the multi Riddle: What Book is She Reading? Even though there is an 8-color limitation that particular multi has 40 color.

RE: Palette coloring on MultiGriddlers
Odpověď
17.5.11 14:31 jako reakce na hagitm.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. I guess the conversion has to be done before submitting.

I'll try that (quite large!) puzzle and see how it looks. Thanks.

Moderátoři fóra: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.