Combination View Flat View Tree View
Tråde [ Tidligere | Næste ]
toggle
User Names 2
Answer
11-02-04 15:57
There is no big story behind my name. Before this one, I used name flower, but people were always trying to find out if I'm hippy. So I decided to change it.
Then I used Livien - it's from one small argument about some TV character called Vivien. A lot of people know this name of mine, so when I was trying to become more name-less (or faceless) I had to find a new one.
Liw is only shorter and modified version of my first name Livia. My friends had always a lot of problems with finding a nicer or shorter form of name. So I decided to cut off last two letters. But this name was already taken in many sites (I guess it is short form of some english name), so I changed v to w - because it's pronouced the same way in my language.
That's why...

Re: User Names
Answer
11-02-04 17:10 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?
>
>As for me, my kids consider me a good cook, so they developed the moniker. They also like the idea of calling their own dear mother something that sounds a lot like monster! D The 2 is just a lagging reminder of my former days with AOL. Can you believe that I couldn't be just plain Chefmomster or Chefmomster1 as they were already taken?
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

My story is this seven years ago our daughter Devi, aged 14 months, died of pneumonia. At her funeral we only wanted sunflowers, and the 500 people that attended all brought one or more. It was very impressive; a mountain of sunflowers on top of her coffin. So in her honour I am Sunflower.

Answer
11-02-04 17:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>What is your story?

Well, I'm afraid I don't have a very interesting story, but Hagit seems to really like my name, whocanitbenow75, and wanted to know where I got it. Nothing more than this...I was getting completely frustrated because every name I chose that had something to do with me was already taken...not on this site, but elsewhere. So in pure frustration I typed "Who can I be now" and then it sounded so much like that old song that I used to like so much, who can it be now. "I come from the land down under" (I don't) can't remember the group that did it.
Well, I was still frustrated and impatient, and I didn't want to try whocanitbenow just to find out that it's been taken, along with version 1, 2, 3, on and on. So I added 75, which is the year I graduated from highschool. (By the way, I was born in 57 and graduated in 75...my husband was born in 56 and graduated in 75, not 65.) I don't know how often this happens, but not very.
So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Nancie

Answer
11-02-04 17:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I LOVED your story. I love that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. I loved that book. I had borrowed from the library a few of Doug Adams books on tape, with him reading them. They are hilarious, especially with him reading. He died shortly after. If I ever see those tapes for sale, I will buy them. They are priceless.
Now, if we can only figure out the question.
Nancie

Answer
11-02-04 18:22 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>What is your story?

Sam was the name of one of my grandfathers, and also the name of a very dear female friend. It starts with the same letter as my real first name, is easy to type, and gives no clue as to my gender!

Thanks to all for explainations, most of which are more interesting than mine.

S.

Answer
11-02-04 18:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
First off ... whocanitbenow75 ... the song was by Men At Work.

My username (rusman) goes back to my teen years. My younger brother and his friends would either call me Rusman (since my name is Rusty) or Big Rusman. That name has gone away, but its memory hasn't. My brother mostly now calls me Rus. (In case it matters to anyone, Rusty is my real name, not Russell or Russ. The story goes that my dad always liked the name Rusty & when I was born with red hair, they thought it was a perfect name for me. I agree.)

Answer
11-02-04 18:36 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My daughters call me The Big Smelly Ogre, or Ogre for short, I guess because I'm big and intimidating. I'm not sure where the smelly part came from (I do bathe regularly). They swear that my grandchildren will call me Ogre instead of Grandad, Pop-Pop, or something else normal.

Answer
11-02-04 21:55 as a reply to chefmomster2.
The reason I am geom_00 is this story. When I was in 10th grade I thought my GEOMetry grade would end up being an "F." Therefore, a score of 00 would be used. Hence the name geom_00

geom

Answer
11-02-04 22:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
First My english is not good.
A lot of people (my family and friends) tell me this way from I was a little girl. In my language (basque language) it means bite, but I dont know what they decide tell me Koska.... I�m not dangerous....

Answer
11-02-04 22:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'll start this off by mentioning that I'm an avid science fiction fan. One of my favourite authors is Larry Niven. One thing that I like about him is that he manages to get the science right on any of the concepts that he comes up with. One of the stories that he wrote, as part of his Known Space series, is called Ringworld. He has, since followed this book up with two more Ringworld Engineers and Ringworld Throne. I must say that the concept of a ringowrld is a very practical one. Unlike a Dyson sphere, you don't need gravity generators. You spin the thing for 'gravity'. (High walls along both rims keep the air in.) And you place a ring of shadow squares in a smaller orbit between the main ring and its sun for the day and night cycles. (Try that with a Dyson sphere!) It is inherently stable along its axis, and attitude jets keep it stable in its plane.

But, I digress. I'm here to tell you about my nick. One of the main characters in the Ringworld books is a man called Louis Wu. In all three books, he and his party meet many of the natives on the ringworld. Some of the Ringworld natives that they met in the first two books called him by a phonetic form of his name Luweewu. I like to use that, without any numbers, as a nick whenever it's not already taken. (I have a couple of other nicks that I use in the event Luweewu is taken.) Now you know.

Answer
11-02-04 23:04 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I LOVED your story. I love that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. I loved that book.
>Now, if we can only figure out the question.
>Nancie
The question can also be found in one of the HHGTTG books What do you get when you multiply six by nine? Funny enough, this actually works out if you use numbers in base 13, but apparently Douglas Adams vehemently denied that that was intentional. (Sort of explains Arthur Dent's comment, upon finding out what the question is, about him always wondering why he had a sense that there was something inherently wrong with the universe, though. -) )

Answer
11-02-04 23:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?

Actually, my name is frajalo. Well, not exactly. My "real" name is FRAncisco JAvier LOpez. This name is very common in Spain but I use this form in e-mails, forums and chats and I never find another one with the same. I suppose I'm lucky. (Yes, I know, this is a boring history...)

Answer
12-02-04 00:27 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I had never used a username on the net outside of business before - so had to think up my first one. As my favorite name for these puzzles is nonogram, and I am a big fan, and that is why I am here - I came up with nonogramfan.

Answer
12-02-04 01:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a fan of Phantom of the Opera (though I've never actually seen it on Broadway), so I wanted to use Phantom as my screen name (elsewhere, not here). As you can probably imagine, Phantom is a common enough name and is already in use by somebody on most systems. Since at the time I was a teller for a local bank (I have since moved on to a credit union), I figured I could add "Banker" to my signon.

Answer
12-02-04 04:02 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My father gave me my name when I began to learn to play the banjo. As a derivation of Jon Bonjovi, Dad began calling me Bob Banjovi.

Answer
12-02-04 04:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I chose Willow because I'm a huge Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan )
Willow is my favorite character ;)

Answer
12-02-04 04:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>.won yltneulf sdrawkcab etirw nac i
>
>?ti si ,stxet drawkcab daer ot ysae ton s'ti tub

.epyt ot ysae os ton tub ,daer ot ysae s'tI

Answer
12-02-04 05:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>>.won yltneulf sdrawkcab etirw nac i
>>
>>?ti si ,stxet drawkcab daer ot ysae ton s'ti tub
>
>
>.epyt ot ysae os ton tub ,daer ot ysae s'tI

I like many others have enjoyed reading these stories, and so decided to add my own, (.gnitirw sdrawkcab eht ot gniylper retfa yllaicepsE).

A few years ago my husband and I started going to rock shows (the kind where people trade in minerals.) At first I wanted to buy spheres, but would usually balk at the price, so when I found a pretty onyx egg I bought it, and continued buying eggs. After awhile I decided I liked eggs better than spheres. My favorite one is made from ocean jasper (Which comes from Madagascar).

When I was looking for a new handle I decided to use the name of one of my favorite rocks and was pleased that it's not something other people are using. I hate using random letters and numbers because they carry no meaning to me.

Answer
12-02-04 05:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I chose Willow because I'm a huge Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan )
>Willow is my favorite character ;)

Me too! Spike is my fav. though =)

Answer
12-02-04 06:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>The band was Men At Work. How can you forget them????

>> So in pure frustration I typed "Who can I be now" and then it sounded so much like that old song that I used to like so much, who can it be now. "I come from the land down under" (I don't) can't remember the group that did it.

Answer
12-02-04 12:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm lazy man and I like puzzles so I created my nick simply from my name.

Milan Fedor -> Mil.. F.... -> ....F ..liM -> flim

Answer
12-02-04 13:20 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>.epyt ot ysae os ton tub ,daer ot ysae s'tI
.enif skrow yek rosruc tfel ruoy fi drah sa ton s'tI

Answer
12-02-04 15:14 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well,
when my boyfriend found this site for me - he checked me in,
and gave me this nickname which he's been calling me reacently(

evilrita (Rita is my real name)

Answer
12-02-04 16:38 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well, of course the band was Men at Work. I knew that, I just couldn't remember it. Because in my poor, disorganized head I get Men at Work confused with Village People, who look like men at work.
Nancie

Answer
12-02-04 21:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>I chose Willow because I'm a huge Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan )
>>Willow is my favorite character ;)
>
>Me too! Spike is my fav. though =)

Me three! Buffy and Xander are my faves )

Anyway, when I first started using the internet and had to pick a screen name I couldn't think of anything. Well I happened to be drinking koolaid at the time and voila! I've been using this name or variations of it ever since.

Answer
12-02-04 22:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.

maryfbcat = Mary + FB + cat
Mary is my first name
FB is the name of my cat.
So, what does FB stand for? Fourteen years ago, we adopted an abandoned kitten. My husband suggested the name "fleabag", an apt description then. But I thought she would be embarassed to have such a name. So it was shortened to FB. Nowadays it is more likely to stand for "Furry Baby".

By the way, thanks for starting this topic. I have enjoyed reading the replys. Mary

Answer
13-02-04 08:56 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I chose Willow because I'm a huge Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan )
>Willow is my favorite character ;)

For me Willow is, and always will be, a short dwarven-like wannabe magician that travels with a small child to save the world. (There's a movie named Willow that predates the Buffy series.)
http//www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/
if you're interested in reading some more about this wonderful movie. )

Answer
13-02-04 20:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.

Mine is a fairly simple explanation. I've always been fascinated by spiders, partly because it seems odd to me that so many people are terrified of them. I can understand being scared of deadly spiders, but I live in England - we don't have any venomous spiders here! I sort of collect spiders (ornaments etc, not real ones!) and one of my friends at university gave me the nickname spiderqueen. I've been using it ever since; if it's already taken I add 27 to the end - my birthday is 27th June.

I love reading everyone's stories, keep them coming!

Answer
14-02-04 08:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name is very easy.

DI are the second two letters of my first name

SCH are the second three letters of my Familyname

and 79 is the year i was bord

Answer
14-02-04 15:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My nick is quite simple, mammashell. Obviously, I am a mother. I have 3 girls, 2 of which are teens. My last name is Shell. However, some days, the other version (mammas hell) is quite appropo.

Karen

Answer
15-02-04 18:40 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who told your stories here! I am so very appreciative of your willingness to share a portion of yourself here. I laughed and cried and had a completely WONDERFUL time.

Gratefully yours,
Chef

Answer
16-02-04 14:37 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My user name is very simple. It is my first initial and then my middle name.

Answer
17-02-04 00:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My grandfather gave me the nickname of Pinky when I was very small, and my lucky number is 5. Very simple really. Everyone has a story and they are all interesting.

Answer
17-02-04 09:37 as a reply to chefmomster2.
It's my surname! There's not many of us around, tho' I've had to modify it occasionally. for email i use a combination of my first name (heather) and surname, to give hevbug, again, unique, and quite memorable!

Answer
17-02-04 17:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm totally into Pegasus, the flying horse. It symbolizes many forms of freedom to me. As well as, spirituality, power, and the sheer joy of living.

Okay, I admit, it's probably more of an obsession, which I seem to have a few of. Well, maybe more than a few. Well, maybe a lot. Well, maybe more than a lot. *sigh* I guess that explains why I'm here replying in this forum. ) I really enjoy this site. Okay, maybe more than enjoy. *sigh*

Anyway, as I said, I'm into Pegasus. Of course, nowadays, so are a lot of others. Trying to come up with a form of Pegasus turned out to be pretty hopeless. Especially when dealing with AOL.

My first name is Kim. So adding flight to it finally got accepted and now most of my user names include some form of flying.

I've enjoyed reading about the user names. Thanks chefmomster2!

Oh, and I'm totally into "Buffy" too.

Kim

Answer
17-02-04 23:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Ok Chefmomster, my name is not Tinky, I have nothing to do with the Teletubbies also. Most of the time I use the name Tinka as a password, and most times that works ok. So not here, there was another Tinka already, so I became Tinky. And that is all there is to say about it.

Answer
17-02-04 23:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Nothing special on my user name. My first name is Pat and my last is Forcade therefore - pforcade. The last name is unusal so people often think it is something other than a name. My husband uses 4kd which I really like. I have considered using p4kd, but I have a terrible time finding numbers on the keyboard, so just take the lazy way out.

Answer
19-02-04 10:27 as a reply to chefmomster2.
For me it's simple Dafni is my first name. I guess in
correct english it should be Daphne. But I prefer Dafni,
it's shorter and it represents better the greek version
of the name.

It's nice to read all the other stories - now I wish I
had written a nickname instead of just my name.

Dafni

Answer
20-02-04 01:17 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>My username comes from a 6 year old boy, way back at school when I was only 8 years old. He said that I reminded him of Miffy the Rabbit (from the childrens books by Dick Bruna). I told my parents that night when I got home and the name stuck.

I am now 34 years old and my Mum still calls Miffy when she wants to speak to me, and sad though it may be lol I still answer to the name.

Hopefully my ears are not that big, my complexion a shade pinker, and my nose a little more Roman than Miffys !!!!!

OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?
>
>As for me, my kids consider me a good cook, so they developed the moniker. They also like the idea of calling their own dear mother something that sounds a lot like monster! D The 2 is just a lagging reminder of my former days with AOL. Can you believe that I couldn't be just plain Chefmomster or Chefmomster1 as they were already taken?
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Answer
20-02-04 01:22 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>kkarovdnnaj gtw
oot ti od nac I won

.won yltneulf sdrawkcab etirw nac i
>
>?ti si ,stxet drawkcab daer ot ysae ton s'ti tub

Answer
20-02-04 06:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Makarios means happy or blessed in ancient Greek. It is the word used in the bible for blessed, for instance in "blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth". I consider myself very blessed indeed, so I liked the name.

Answer
20-02-04 17:48 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

my user name is really quite simple--first 3 letters of forename and first 2 letters of surname--thank goodness my forename isn't Sue !!!!

Answer
21-02-04 12:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?
>
I always use my name as my nickname.. But someone else picked it (BEga) before I do, so I had to find a new one... I saw TNT in the users list and thought maybe I could choose DNA which is directly related to the subject I am studying, Genetics.

BEga.

Answer
21-02-04 12:23 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My username is actually a shorter version of one of my husband's nicknames Sabelette. Sabelette is a pokemon that looks like a weasel and loves sand but I don't have any idea of its English name. "sand"= "sable" in French and "weasel"="belette". The story goes back to the time when he used to play beach volley and spent a lot of time in the sand to catch the ball. Even if I'm not keen on Pokemons (neither on volleyball) , I found the name funny and made it shorter to use it as a username (Sabelette was often already taken in French sites, don't know why...). That's all, good luck for the Great Username Challenge.
Nathalie.

Answer
21-02-04 14:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Sabelette is a pokemon that looks like a weasel and loves sand but I >don't have any idea of its English name.

My sons, both Pokemon addicts, Love your name! The English form is Sandshrew. "Burrows deep underground in arid locations far from water. It only emerges to hunt for food." 40HP

Thanks for your addition to the thread! Love it!

Answer
22-02-04 02:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I got my first email address, I wanted something unusual that I could easily remember. I have been using it ever since and have yet to find a website that already has it used (unless I am already registered there and forgot).

ky => first 2 letters of my first name, Kylie (like the pop singer)
sue=> short for my middle name, Suzanne
br=> short for "bunny rabbit", a nickname I got in high school because of the way I crinkle my nose when I concentrate

Answer
22-02-04 18:52 as a reply to chefmomster2.
To those who figured out the origins of my nickname prior to reading this, then you are that much "closer to fine!".

I am a die hard, never "tried to be true", fan of the Indigo Girls. I have travelled all over California over the past 13 years to see them live in concert - and am up to (I think) 45+ concerts attended.

My license plate is "NDGOGAL" (a gift from my husband who is also a big fan - and indulges me in my obsession!) - hence the NDGO part of the nickname.

A Couple of years ago when I went to the netscape webmail page to create an account, NDGOGAL was already taken, as were many other variations on the theme. I figured that since my now 8 year old son is number one on my list of priorities - yes, even more so than Amy & Emily - he deserved recognition, too - hence the MOM part. I tend to now use "NDGOMOM" as my log in ID whenever one is needed.

Good thread!

Answer
25-02-04 22:02 as a reply to chefmomster2.
kara means black in turkish and it is also my surname,

at the time i was looking for a good nick, i was doing a paper on the word destiny. it was fun to explore and try to explain the concept.

just combined the two and it seemed nice to be used as a nick...

Answer
25-02-04 23:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi
Hagit asked me to write the origins of my name - Elegant Crap
It all started about 3 years ago a friend and I started writing short stories, which had a common theme - they were all writen with "big" and classy words, using a very high language - but had absolutly no point.
We sought a name which would be symbolic - and we found "Elegant Crap" - as those stories were very elegant - but they were crap -)
We stopped writing, yet I still keep the name on various internet places.
Other names I use online are "Jordin" - which was the brand name of my first electric guitar, and "Rising Superstar" - which is how I misheard the name of a spanish soccer team called "Racing Santander"
those "Elegant Crap" stories can be found (in hebrew) at http//www.stage.co.il/Authors/ElegantCrap
and if anyone is interested in reading some of them which I translated to english - you can send me a message.
bye bye

Answer
26-02-04 06:27 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2
I like racing (NASCAR) as well as puzzles and my favorite driver is Kevin Harvick and his car number is 29.

Answer
26-02-04 21:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Mine is really simple; Beck was my fathers childhood nickname for me and Lenay was my mothers college roommate.

Answer
26-02-04 22:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I got the nickname picazzo more than 10 years ago playing online games. It was an abbreviation, but I don't remember of what...
When trying to get registered at a website I found out that Picazzo was already taken, so I changed the character o for a zero and thought it looked good, so I kept it that way.

Answer
26-02-04 22:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Its my surname! (Initial A).

Always causes amusement when asked to give my name.

A.Smoothey

Answer
27-02-04 00:49 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Sure.. Here's my story.. I'm a fan of Manowar Band(one of heavy metal bands).. And Battlehymn refers to their first album name...

Answer
27-02-04 09:21 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I once knew a fairy, her second name was Nuff, and every time I saw her I said "That's FairyNuff" (fair enough). It's just an old, old joke from my childhood. o)

Answer
27-02-04 14:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Quellious is the goddess of tranquility in EverQuest. Usually worshipped by human monks.
Well I played EverQuest for almost 4 years, and I really liked that name, and it became my 'formal' alias in many sites and forums -)

Answer
29-02-04 02:09 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name is made up of 2 of my old cats names - wotsit and gizmo. I have used that name on various sites for about 3 years now! At the time, I was trying to register on a site, but every name I thought of was taken and I just happened to look round and see my cats and combined their names!!

Answer
29-02-04 23:41 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>What is your story?

I just joined the website yestserday. How I got my name is that chefmomster2 is my mom. She is helping with the new "Kiddler" page for kids. So to combine the two, I chose chefkiddler. (CK for short!) I'm looking forward to the kid page. It should be a lot of fun.

Answer
01-03-04 02:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hello, all!

I'm a recently retired math professor. When I discovered this PBN site a few years ago, I was still teaching and used "Mathman" on everything.

I hang out at a number of math homework-help sites. At most the name "Mathman" was already taken. So, at those places I go by the handle "Soroban".

It's a private little joke. You see, my parents came from Japan years and years ago. (The only thing Asian about me is my face -- I look like "Mr. Miyagi".) Anyway, "soroban" is the Japanese word for "abacus". { Get it? A Japanese calculator! ... HaHaHa! ... Am I the only one laughing?)

Answer
02-03-04 09:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
> It's a private little joke. You see, my parents came from Japan years and years ago. (The only thing Asian about me is my face -- I look like "Mr. Miyagi".) Anyway, "soroban" is the Japanese word for "abacus". { Get it? A Japanese calculator! ... HaHaHa! ... Am I the only one laughing?)

Actually, I laughed too. Maybe mostly because I got this picture of Mr. Miyagi sitting with an abacus counting his pupils wash-on/wash-off moves... I love those Karate Kid movies. )
/Zandy

Answer
18-04-04 19:33 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2
When I was young my family had a friend who liked to twist the things we said. Once my mother responded to something ridiculous I had said with "Oh, bugfuzz". This in my family was equivalent to "oh, baloney" and other less kid-friendly exclamations. The friend overheard the comment, and I was Bugfuzz to him from that day forward. The second "z" was dropped years ago when I first got on the internet. Certain double letters were censored to avoid bad words. This same friend overheard my mother exclaim that my room was as bad as the wreck of the Hesperas. Out of that came another nickname, Hessy. What are friends for?

To both Mathman and That Math Girl I too am a math fanatic. I majored in math, tutor math and buy math books (for Algebra to Calculus) to work the problems for fun. In my next life I would like to edit math books.

Answer
14-05-04 19:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>My user name comes from the purfume I wear. (Lucky You - by Lucky Brand.) I don't know why I added the "_". I guess I just assumed it was supposed to be one whole word, with no spaces - like some user names have to be.

Thanks for contributing lucky_brand! It's been a long time since we've had a post and I still enoy learning more about our members names!

) Chef

Answer
14-05-04 22:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
i had to laugh when i red your post
a math and physics teacher at our school is named mattmann and i always have to think of him when i read your nick in the online-list......
and now i now that he really has EXACTLY the same kind of humour as you... i would have said you ARE him if you haven't mentioned you look asian *lol*

nati

Answer
14-05-04 23:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.

first of all, i LOVE all these stories (it took me hours to get through all of them ) )

mine is far not as interesting as some others

my first name is Natalie and i was called always nati by a friend in a chat a few years ago ( my nick in that chat room (nervensaege) can be translated into " a nag" and although i had taken it just because of irony i didn't want to take it when i again started visiting chatrooms recently...)

but nati is never free .....
in german it's usual to add an "i" when you like sth/someone (see Schumi for Michael Schumacher ;) ) , i think in english it's the same with "y"
-lein is also a german ending for sth small and cute (like -tje in dutch) so my nick is a double minimization *lol* this fits as i'm not very tall )

natilein was free so i took it.....

nati

Answer
21-05-04 13:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>What is your story?

Vics is short for Vicki, my first name. I have been called Vics or VicVic over the years, but that is not the only reason why I chose this for my user name.

As a child I got a lot of colds and flus that would settle in my lungs and make it hard to breathe. Vics Vapor Rub and Steam became a big part of my childhood. I never really minded being sick, it meant I could stay home from school! ;)

One year I was recovering from a rather bad case of something or other, and I decided to see how many jigsaw puzzles I could make before the doctor cleared me as healthy enough to return to school. As I would finish a puzzle I would slide it carefully onto the hardwood floor in my bedroom. I eventualy filled up just about every square inch of space on the floor I even put them under my bed. The only space I left was a narrow path from the door to the bed. The puzzles on the floor became themselves giant puzzle pieces as I tried to arrange them in such a way that there were no gaps between them. Of course all of this activity was happening while the wonderful smell (at least to me) of Vics was in the air.

So, when contemplating what to use as a user name for a puzzle site, Vics seemed the obvious choice. )

Also

I would like to say thank you to JynxMom for adding the www address with the pictures of her "babies." I really enjoyed looking at the pictures, and can hardly wait for my (human) children to wake up so that I can show them. "Ahhhh's" and "ohhhh's" will fill the air. )

Answer
21-05-04 14:31 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My first name is Mary and my middle name is Elisabeth. Most people call me Beth. When I was younger, Mommy and Daddy would call me Mary Beth. I got to like this name and Mommy still uses it sometimes.

Answer
24-05-04 01:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My user ID is a simple amalgam of my names. Unix systems of the late 80's and early 90's would, in many cases, limit the user ID to eight characters. When I signed up for an Internet account at my college, I was assigned a user ID based on my first initial, middle initial and last name. I felt fortunate that my last name was six characters, so that it just fit into the ID. So, John Daniel Ashton = jdashton.

Bonus Explainer Like my father, his father and (now) my son, I always go by my middle name, and abbrieviate the first.

J. Daniel Ashton
http//Daniel.AshtonFam.org

Answer
24-05-04 04:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I picked my ID, Boychild, because that's what my Daddy calls me sometimes.

Answer
27-05-04 12:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
hi! im a 15 years old boy from israel...
in israel we have a great comedian that has a character named Luba
that is realy funny and wich I like!
so thats how I called myself - Luba Boy (because iwm a boy!)
thats it!

Answer
27-05-04 14:40 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>hi! im a 15 years old boy from israel...
>in israel we have a great comedian that has a character named Luba
>that is realy funny and wich I like!
>so thats how I called myself - Luba Boy (because iwm a boy!)
>thats it!

I liked this show too, and Luba in particular. -)
Me Ba Be LuBa, LuBaBoy?
Hagit

Answer
28-05-04 10:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I enjoyed reading all this stories. I can add this;

I came up with this nick at a time I was playing an online science quiz. You could play against two other people and the faster you answered correctly the more points you scored. I got pretty good at this game and thought it would be more humiliating if the others would be 'beaten' by the most unintelligent living thing I could come up with. An Amoebe (Dutch for amoeba) is a single cell micro-organism for those who don't know.
Used it ever since.

G.

Answer
09-06-04 23:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

I graduated from college with a math degree in May 2003, and I got a job at the same college working in the math department. I didn't want my students to be able to get ahold of personal info, so I started a new name, that math girl, that I can use (for instant messenging) at work and not worry about it. And it's easy to remember, since it describes me perfectly! o)

I love reading all your stories! Please keep them coming!

Answer
09-06-04 23:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Very nice idea, chefmomster - reading the stories made the people behind the nicks somehow more "real" for me. So here�s the story of my name

When I was a child I saw the big green anaconda on TV and instantly fell in love with her - the shimmering skin, the beautiful coloured pattern, the smooth moves - well, I thought (and still think) the anaconda an extremely gracious and beautiful animal.
In German the snake�s name is written with a `k� instead of the `c� Anakonda. And because I like to play with words, I also like the idea that if you add just one more letter and a blank, the snake�s name changes into something like a woman�s name.
That is how I became Anna Konda. (I also thought about `Granny Weatherwax� and `Nanny Ogg� from Terry Pratchett�s Discworld, but Anna Konda won -) )

Greetings to everyone who told their stories here -
Susanne

Answer
10-06-04 03:56 as a reply to chefmomster2.
In college, the dorm rooms had a small name plate on the door for the names of the inhabitants.

One night, my neighbor had a few too many beverages and decided that he needed to rename my roommate and me. He changed my name on the door to Braf Rebersnokk. We decided to leave it there for the rest of the year.

Now, whenever I need to give a user name on a website, I use Braf Rebersnokk.

I did ask my neighbor where the name came from, but he doesn't remember ever changing the name.

So, I guess my name came from some sort of drunken stupor.

Answer
13-06-04 16:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I was small I loved Star Wars. Luke Skywalker, at Tatooine, had a friend called Camie. Because it sounds similar (ok, the story is longer, but not crucial) I had a nick kamyk (pebble in polish), but it suggested that I am a male (it was quite funny on IRC) and was quite popular among people with their last name e.g. Kaminski, so oftenly it was taken. I hate adding numbers, so I wanted another nick, not so popular.
As that time I was re-re-re-reading "Trollkarlens" series (I don't remember how it's translated to english, so I wrote the original name, it's a group of books by Tove Jansson) . The main character has a friend who is always going somewhere, not taking care abuot time and so on. I always liked him, but having a nick "w?�czykij" would be impossible for many people to read because of typically polish letters. So I thought about a synonym and I found one. Not a very well-known, old-fashioned word in Polish, powsinoga.
Exactly powsinoga means "leg through the country" and it describes a person who likes to disappear for hours, a dreamer, someone who will usually be found in most overgrown places, kind of tramp.

powsinoga

Answer
13-06-04 20:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
This is a great question... and I love the way ppl come up with there nics... Alot or so comical!

My nic has been changed since I first started using it.

It started with Kel-lassy... but i dropped the "-" ... seemed easier without it. Kel= Kelly (my real name) Lassy (Irish Gal - I am part Irish)... and if you say it Real Quick.... It sounds "Classy" Hehehehe ;)

~Kel~

Answer
14-06-04 05:42 as a reply to chefmomster2.
ShauRobi...

Is the first 4 letters of my first & last name (Shaun Robinson). Got it when I was working at Marathon Canada here in Calgary & it has just stuck with me cuz its so easy to remember. OK, I admit, major lack of imagination here! LOL!

>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Answer
19-06-04 09:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I just discovered the forum topic yesterday and it lasted till now that I had time to read all the answers. As I really enjoyed this, I decided to answer to it.

In my case, Astrid is my first name - so for the story behind it, you would have to ask my parents... It is a nordic name which can be translated as beautiful goddess -) I think the translation does not really fit me, and I am sure my parents didn't know this meaning when they gave me my name...

Although the name is not that common here in Austria, I have never before found a site where I could use it as a nick, because it was always already taken. I was really happy when I could use it on griddlers net without any numbers which refer to my birthday or other useless attachments...

For people who don't know the name - it's a girl's name!

Thanks for all your interesting stories,

astrid

Answer
19-06-04 14:48 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name is PlantationLily9.

I had my own landscaping business for five years so I wanted the name of a plant.

A PlantationLily is a weed. I figured that fit the spot. -)

Answer
20-06-04 16:10 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>> I just don't know why people think I'm a girl.
Hi Jan,

In some countries, "Jan" would be a short form of Janet or Janice, for instance, which are girls' names. That may be why.

Answer
20-06-04 16:14 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My husband calls me Punkin which, for those of you who are not familiar with US nicknames, is a form of the word "pumpkin", and I'm in the UK. PunkinUK

Answer
20-06-04 16:16 as a reply to chefmomster2.
oops, guess I should've read all the messages before posting a reply to Jan, cos I've just said the same thing. At least Jan now has at least two messages with the same explanation!!

Answer
20-06-04 16:42 as a reply to chefmomster2.
It's not boring frajalo. I used to be sukalo for exactly the same reason - first two letters of my three names. But I kept getting called "sulako" which apparently is some kind of spaceship? That was all in a former life - my name has changed since then and PunkinUK suits me better anyway!

Answer
20-06-04 20:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hello, I'm Brenda... also known as kennebec.

My name comes from the river I live next to - the Kennebec, in Bath, Maine, USA. I grew up a bit closer to the Atlantic Ocean, in Phippsburg, Maine, along the Kennebec. BEC are my initials, so it made sense to become kennebec...

I have been quite surprised to find that in many places on the web, there is already a kennebec, so I have had to become kennebec1. But I am the first kennebec at griddlers! -)

Brenda (Ellen) Cummings... kennebec

Answer
21-06-04 08:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
lisya is my real name, not very creative but i really love it )

Answer
21-06-04 13:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
This is so much fun!

I'll try to make a long story as short as possible...

Years ago, a group of us decided we needed an excuse to get together on a regular basis, other than just drinking beer and watching movies (fun but getting rather dull). Since we all love playing games and reading fantasy novels, we thought we'd try Dungeons and Dragons, which none of us had ever played but were all very curious about.

Almost 15 years later, we still get together once or twice monthly as our busy schedules allow, and are currently deeply involved in a fascinating adventure using the third edition of the game. It's been a wonderful and unique experience to be able to get to know each other in such a creative way, as well as a chance to escape the stresses of real life (and get together for gossip and good food!).

My very first character was a halfling (or hobbit) thief named Bitzi, who may not have been very intelligent (6 out of 18) but was fairly wise (13 out of 18) and very dexterous (17 out of 18). She got our party into a lot of trouble, but somehow was able to sneak away before getting seriously hurt! Bitzi rapidly became my alter ego, and I will always carry this fun, curious, gutsy little character around with me.

-lu

Answer
22-06-04 00:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I was given my name from my grandchildren. As a result of divorces, my grandchildren have 4 grandmothers. They are twin boys, and when they were about 9 or 10 we were discussing dog and wolf behavior. They immediately showed me that understood by telling me (confidentially of course) that I am their ALPHA Nana.

Alphanana

Answer
25-06-04 17:23 as a reply to chefmomster2.
So, back in 2000, when I first started looking at various forums, I was also
doing a lot of homebrewing. Because of this, I tried to use brewmaster or
beermaster, but these were always taken. As it happened I had also been
making meads so I decided to try meadmaster and this one wasn't taken.
I've used this at pretty much every forum since then.

Unfortunately for the past few years I've lived in an apartment with a
terrible kitchen so I haven't brewed in that time. I'll be moving accross
town next month to a much better place with a good kitchen (and central
air 'cause Baltimore summers suck!!) and will be starting back on the
path of enlightenment by brewing up a batch of apple-mead.

That's about it.

later

Steve 'meadmaster' Z.

Answer
15-07-04 11:55 as a reply to chefmomster2.
The origin of my user name is a 2-step story.

When I was born, if I had been male I was going to be called Robin - which personally I think is a wussy name for a lad but a cool name for a girl (with the differrent spelling). However, I got called something else (being female) and have always liked the name Robyne.

Just under 2 years ago I started playing Dark Age of Camelot (an online role-playing game). Consequently, I called my first character I ever created Robyne. In the game, when you get to level 10 (level 50 is maximum), you can pick a surname for your character. At the time my husband who had got me playing the game also had a character called Seelk. We were levelling them together, so decided to go for the same surname that suited both the character names - hence Hud.

Answer
17-07-04 17:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hey there everybody!

Well, I named myself after the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" Season 5 finale.
It's the episode where she finally realises that she making the ultimate sacrifice by giving up her life will save the world from collapsing into parallel deamon dimensions. Shw realises that her vision of the first slayer telling her that "Death is Her Gift" meant that she is the only one who can actually make a difference...

Hence my Username The Gift -)

Answer
19-07-04 14:37 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When my parents had to think of a name for me, they took the names of both my grandmothers and called me Jeltje Geertruida, but combined them as well, so it's Jelga in real life.

I have never met anyone else called Jelga. I used to think I was the only one and I was very disappointed when I found out I wasn't. But maybe because it's quite an unique name I never had the urge to look for a fantasy nickname.

When I started to write in forums on the internet, I didn't want it to be too easy to find out who I was, Jelga from Rotterdam is still unique (I hope). So I took my official first name, which is Jeltje. It still sounds like 'me' and by now there are even people in real life who call me by that name!

Great stories, everyone!

Jelga

Answer
06-08-04 16:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
First, I want to thank all of you who so generously shared yourselves through your wonderful stories. They add so much to my enjoyment of the site and to my sense of being in a real community here.

Now, I'd like to ask that our many new members, and of course you old members who "never got around to it", to add your tales. Each of them is so very precious and none is too simple or boring.

Looking forward to seeing your name here!
) Chef

>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Answer
07-08-04 12:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi, I decided to share the story behind my nickname "Chemical"

First of all, in 1994 I started studying chemistry at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. In my first years i was involved in writing a sort of soap in the monthly magazine of the chemistry department, "Chemicals & Chemistry".
Of course we also wanted to publish our stories on the internet, which was just starting to get known for the general public in the Netherlands at that time.
On a site it was possible to obtain a free emailadres, but the name could not be longer than 8 characters. So we just took the first 8 chars from the title, so are emailadres was chemical@dds.nl
In that period i also discovered IRC. I joined a channel, in which your emailadres minus the @domain-part became your nick.
That;s how it all started with my nick, now the email-adres is dead, I finished my study, and I also stopped doing IRC, but my nick will never die!!!!

Greetings Chemical

Answer
07-08-04 14:06 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I guess it's rather obvious - i LOVE The Rocky Horror Picture Show!!! emoticon

Answer
13-08-04 21:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
... very simple.....
redhead - for my orange hair color...
;)
aaaaaaaaa.

Answer
18-08-04 12:59 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Here is my story

some years ago I listened to some guys making fun on the French president in a radio-show. Instead of "Jacques Chirac" they called him "Sack Chirac".
"Sack" is the German word for "bag" (of course they rather meant something like "dirtbag" in this case ;-))

I was nearly rolling on the floor laughing, when I heard that - and so I started using this nickname -))

Stefan

P.S Just to let everybody know (especially the french griddlers ;-)) I do NOT dislike frenchmen or their president (in fact I live 30 minutes away from france and go there from time to time) - I just think that this is a funny name -)

Answer
26-09-04 20:59 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Has anyone out there noticed the huge number of new Griddler players online here lately? Welcome to all of you!

Please take a moment to let us get to know you better by telling us the story behind your User Name. We'd all love to hear it! (And read the many threads of this post to get to know all of us a bit better too!)

Thanks and Happy Griddling!

Answer
27-09-04 02:42 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I have been a member here for a bit....my name Blitzen comes from my first cat, oh so long ago. I had never had a cat, but my boyfriend and I wanted a pet, and as he was in a band, we were gone overnight alot. We were living in Germany at the time. We got a kitten, and she was quick and hyper...always running, jumping, pouncing. Well, I did not know that ALL kittens are like that! We named her Blitzen, the German word for lightning, because she was as quick and powerful as a lightning bolt. She moved with us to the US, and over four different states before she died at the age of 16. I have had (and still do have) other cats and dogs too, but she was my first kitty love, my first animal kindred spirit.
Barb (Blitzen)

Answer
01-10-04 14:31 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Shark is one of my favourites animals. He is a depredator like me, but I eat griddlers and triddlers.
I have several T-shirts with sharks, and as shark I met my wife via internet six years ago.

Answer
01-10-04 20:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Mine is not very original. It is the name of the town I live in. Kokomo is in Indiana--midwestern USA.

Answer
02-10-04 07:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
FG Fairy Godfather

When the Tombraider series produced the Level Editor a number of web sites made games available that had been made by ordinary people and a Forum started for members to help others trying the same game. I helped and was helped by people the world over finding the right way and one young lady in Australia called me her Fairy Godfather so I was that name on the Tombraider site however I began to get bored with TR and found this marvellous griddler site and naturally called myself the shorter version.

Answer
02-10-04 17:22 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My real name is common enough that all the typical combinations are taken. So I started trying unique names. This one, goshenmike, has worked everywhere I've gone since coming up with it years ago.

Goshen, the town closest to where I live; and Mike, my first name.

My favorite psuedo name is Llorac Cajim crafted using my real name. Goshenmike, however is much easier to use online.

>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Answer
02-10-04 17:26 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Howdy neighbor! I drive through Kokomo many times every year. In fact I'll be at IUK on Tuesday. Of course my username is derived much the way yours is.

>Mine is not very original. It is the name of the town I live in. Kokomo is in Indiana--midwestern USA.

Answer
03-10-04 05:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.
aaaIs that Goshen, NY?

>Howdy neighbor! I drive through Kokomo many times every year. In fact I'll be at IUK on Tuesday. Of course my username is derived much the way yours is.
>
>>Mine is not very original. It is the name of the town I live in. Kokomo is in Indiana--midwestern USA.

Answer
04-10-04 09:28 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Tiptop was THE best ice cream cone ever in Swedish history, but unfortunately they sold of the machine that made them and it will never come back on the market, so I like to remember it. Of course Tiptop is quite a usual name on different websites so I usually add the 08 in the end since the 8 has always been my lucky number.

Answer
05-10-04 01:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My given name is Adva.
when I was in 1st grade the thought that my name is Hedva. most of the people still call me Hedva instead of Adva, and my friends call me Hedy, which is shorter then Hedva. and I like this name so I took it as a nickname.

Answer
05-10-04 10:33 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well, I enjoy browsing through dictionaries and encyclopedias. Sometimes I find a nice sounding or interesting word that could be used as a nickname for instance. The word I like best is galactophagist which means "feeding on milk", but I think it's too long for a nick. When I was loking for something more suitable, I found levanter. It means "eartern". As I live in Poland (which as some may not know is in middle-eastern Europe) it quite fits.

Answer
05-10-04 16:50 as a reply to chefmomster2.
just first name with another two first letters fo family name

Answer
05-10-04 19:58 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Seems I should live with it, because JannDvorakkTheBoy is too long.

Hehe I got such a giggle reading this! You poor guy... Well, now we know!!! *wink* Perhaps now you'll be referred to as a girl less and less....

~SunnySara~

Btw, my grandmother called me 'Sunshine' as a young girl. She passed away five years ago and shortly after that I was trying to think of a nickname to use online. My name is 'Sara' and 'Sunshine' was already taken, so I put them together, and voila!... 'SunnySara' it is!!!

;o}

(I love reading these stories!!!!!!!!! Keep 'em coming!)

Answer
06-10-04 08:58 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Sunny I loved your story...I used to have a CB and my "handle" was Sunshine. Let me tell all of you the truck drivers treated me so well. I remember once when my tire blew out, how one truck driver came to my rescue in the middle of the night. And another time when I was driving from NY to Fl and it was raining so hard you could hardly see out your window...2 truckers got in front of me and behind me and rode with me all the way from VA to FL. Truckers are wonderful people.

>
>>Seems I should live with it, because JannDvorakkTheBoy is too long.
>
>Hehe I got such a giggle reading this! You poor guy... Well, now we know!!! *wink* Perhaps now you'll be referred to as a girl less and less....
>
>~SunnySara~
>
>Btw, my grandmother called me 'Sunshine' as a young girl. She passed away five years ago and shortly after that I was trying to think of a nickname to use online. My name is 'Sara' and 'Sunshine' was already taken, so I put them together, and voila!... 'SunnySara' it is!!!
>
>;o}
>
>(I love reading these stories!!!!!!!!! Keep 'em coming!)

Answer
06-10-04 20:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My mother wrote (now three years ago) as short form for my son (Elias), my nickname (Lollo); Loll from me and -ias from my son.

Answer
23-12-04 03:44 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a huge dragon fan - therefore I am also a huge Anne McCaffrey fan. When I first came on line (all those years ago) I wanted to be Ramoth, the golden queen dragon. You would NOT believe how many Ramoths there are out there. So, I picked another dragon name, Nemorth (also from Anne McCaffrey's Dragon tales). Then, I met another dragon fan online, moved to America from Scotland to be near him, and on 9-11-04 we got married. He chose my name, nem- (from Nemorth) lee- (my real name is Lee) - and I have used nemlee ever since. I love it, and my darling husband sometimes actually calls me "nem" for real, and that is very special. In fact, in October 2004 he had a serious accident, and finished up in the hospital for two months after brain surgery - I knew he was coming back to me when he looked at me in the intensive care unit and called me "nem" - so this nick means a lot to me, and I will never change it!

Answer
28-01-05 22:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I love reading these stories too.
My own is this. I have always liked all kinds of cats, ordinary pets(we have two), lions and tigers etc. And i'm lion in one horoscope and tiger in another (chinese i think). And i have always thought that there is something 'catlike' in me emoticon . So when i had to decide what nickname to take, it was easy. In my own language (finnish), lion is 'leijona'. So you could translate my nickname (leij0na) to li0n.

Answer
29-01-05 13:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I was born there were three aunts already dead and my parents had not yet given there names to a child. So they solved the problem in one time: Josephina Marghareta Gijsbertha is my full first name. emoticon
Fine is from Josephina, and in Holland we use the -ke to indicate something that is small. Nowadays I am not small at all emoticon but I never wanted to change it.
And because the name is only common in Holland I can often use it on the internet.
Fineke

Answer
01-04-05 17:57 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I have a dog named Sprite, who is (in my opinion) the cutest and smartest dog in the world. emoticon (My brother named Sprite after the drink, in case you were wondering) Anyway, I thought my dog was really the coolest thing in the world when I first got him, which is why my username is coolsprite. emoticon

Answer
01-04-05 17:59 as a reply to chefmomster2.
OK, OK, so I'm just bumping my own forum item! :oops:

I can't help myself.

I keep seeing so MANY new faces around here and I'd love to know more about the new names.

If you haven't already, how about adding your story here?

:hello:
Chef

Answer
13-07-05 18:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
[quote="chefmomster2"]If you haven't already, how about adding your story here?
Chef

so i will ;)
maybe a late reaction to a message from the 1st of april, but i registered on the 7th or 8th of june, 2005 and i started to post replies a few weeks ago ;)

my story: my first nickname was Domino2000 (i chose that one in the year 2000 ;) )
i got tired of that one a few years later, so i wanted a new nickname.
but i'm not very good in names (that also goes for music, because i'm a musician, so i make my own music and i never can think of a title for the songs i compose ;) but that's not important)
but i really liked to say the letter 'Q' back then
and a friend of mine started to call me 'mister Q'
and i liked that name so i thought of 'Mr.Q', i made a lot of avatars for msn, but i like mistrq better than Mr.Q ;)
that's my story.
cheers, Dominic

Answer
15-07-05 16:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Thanks for adding your stories here and under the avatar subject and "How did you get here?".

It's never too late to add this info because we love to learn about the Users on the site.

If a subject is ever truly too "old" for responses, we lock it.

Thanks again!
emoticon Chef

Answer
28-07-05 02:40 as a reply to chefmomster2.
"RadarJ" is short for RadarJunkie, which became my common-use login for websites when I discovered someone else was also using RadarQueen. So really the story is about RadarQueen, and it's probably as disappointing as it is unusual.

I work in software. I starting working in 1996 on a product called SilkRadar, a small but effective bug-tracking tool. By the time I left that company in 1999, I was wearing Development, Testing, Tech Support, Sales Support, and IT hats for Radar -- in other words, I had become the only person working on it full-time, any more. At some point before I left, though, someone brought me one of the little paper "crowns" that kids could get at Burger King back then, and labeled me "RadarQueen". It stuck.

Then I went to work for another company. Within 6 months they bought Radar and as we gained users world-wide I was supporting 4 continents' worth of users in this little dinky teeny -- but critical -- bug database. I also helped coworkers here get Radar installed at other companies when they left here. By the time I needed to replace RadarQueen as a username, "RadarJunkie" just seemed appropriate somehow.

And now RadarJ it is.

Answer
28-07-05 16:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
In the forum I call myself Romya, but actually my parents called me Rumya (the 'u' like double 'o' in English I always had problems with writing this name because my teachers always called me Ramya).
When my father opened an E-mail adress for me (I didn't know how to do this) he wrote my name with 'j' instead of 'y' (those letters are sometimes changing in some languages). After that (I don't know why), he wrote '2'.
When I logged into this site I didn't have any idea for username so I wrote this name (but I dont't like it :confused3: ...)

Romya

Answer
31-07-05 09:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hiiiiiiiiiiii emoticon

My name is Bepklep.It's the name I chose when I started chatting, about 2 years ago and there lies its background. It means when I'm in a good mood, I hardly can stop talking, laughing or joking :oops: Well at least I'm honest :roll:

Bye Bye emoticon

Answer
11-08-05 09:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name is a mispronouncing of the name of my oldest son by a little boy. In the Netherlands it's used as a cheerfull expression. When I first logged into griddlers it wasn't taken yet.
The funny part is that the english speaking part of the world thinks it has something to do with Joe, so it's often thought i'm male emoticon

I have given away some clues:
living in the Netherlands
At least one son
female
and my avatar must give an indication of my age

joepi

Answer
26-10-05 19:45 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My username isn't very original either: it's the first part of an automated e-mail adress I got a while ago. It's sort a nonsense combination, and wasn't taken yet. Besides, it gave me the opportunnity to stay anonymous.
But, since this is a truly great site (I've been spending over 162 hours here in 80 days), and I really want to contribute to the site, I guess it's only fair you know my real first name: Evana.
It's a very unusual name here in Belgium (I'm pretty sure I'm the first one given that name here). It was made up by accident (or should I say by good luck. Later we discovered there's a character called 'Evana' in on of A.E. Van Vogt's books (SF series).

Answer
02-11-05 06:06 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Chef, you seemed somewhat shocked :shock: (maybe dismayed emoticon ), that I would want to find a slug for an avatar pic, so maybe some explaining is in order.

S. Slug is what I picked when I needed a camp name for Girl Scouts.

I'm a biologist by passion and education. While in college, one of my friends was talking about a field class she had taken. By the end of the day, she said, she certainly didn't look like a sex goddess, if anything she looked like a sex slug.

As most of our group was female and taking some sort of bio classes with great field trips (the kind where you don verrry old clothes and go mucking in swamps :toothy7: ), that term "sex slug" took on a life of its own.

When you came back from a day in the field, wearing your jeans with the holes, wind-blown hair, sunburned nose, and mud that was lodged under your fingernails, slug became the phrase of the day.

Fast forward many years.... I was volunteering at Girl Scout camp and needed an appropriate camp name. I thought back to that phrase we had used "slug". I had always had an affinity for the Invertebrates and thought some of the nudibranchs (sea slugs) were just gorgeous.

But "Slug," that seemed too plain. Just adding an S. seemed to add pizazz. S. could be many things depending on the mood of the day. S. is for: Sherri, super, stupendous, serious, and slow (among others).

After finding this site, I was very excited :toothy8: and wanted to get registered quickly so I could get to all those puzzles! I needed a user name and I needed it fast, so sslug was born.

So you see, being a slug isn't all that bad.

S. Slug

P.S. I was just looking for logic puzzles but found a great community!

:thumbup:

P.P.S. Another S (from the avatar): surfing slug!

Answer
02-11-05 12:45 as a reply to chefmomster2.
A wonderful story and very cute avatar! Thanks. I will never think of slugs in the same way again!

emoticon Chef

Answer
12-11-05 21:48 as a reply to chefmomster2.
[quote="RedHead_Noa"]... very simple.....
redhead - for my orange hair color...
;)
aaaaaaaaa.

yea, another redhead.

Answer
12-11-05 21:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
well now that i read all the others, i guess it time for mine. the pic is the first clue.
i am irish.
ive collected unicorns for some time now.

Answer
20-11-05 22:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
hi there,

my name is a mix out the city i´m living in (duesseldorf-germany) and my first name kathrin, for some reason i put an extra s at the end 8)

Answer
27-12-05 00:37 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My nick comes from the initial of my first name Malgorzata (English equivalent Margaret and my middle name Elzbieta (English equivelent Elizabeth). I used the English version of my name because I needed a nick for a yahoo chat and Melzbieta isn't that nice in my opinion. Although, some people in the yahoo chat called me Elizabeth, but fortunately griddler-chatter do pay attention to every letter ;) Btw, Hagit, Hi Me would really look funny, but I wouldn't mind calling me Me emoticon. But, of course, Mel is the most common shortening and it quite suits me, as L is the initial of my third name Laura. I was once thinking about calling myself MelG (as my family name is Gabler) but at that time one of the Spice Girls, Mel B. got married and changed her name to Mel G. emoticon It would be funny to take a name of someone famous but it wouldn't be that original. Melizabeth is not very often met, although in some places the nick is already taken emoticon

Answer
28-12-05 02:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Chefmomsters' curiosity dragged me here in the last chat. I probably wouldn't have found this "personal" section of the forum if it wasn't for her ;-) Simply never got around to scrolling further down before.

My nick goes back to highschool: in the pre-internet, pre-mobiles, pre-msn, pre-sms and pre-lotsofthings era, we made a sport out of it to shorten all words to the point where it was just (or just not) comprehensible. We held complete monosyllabic conversations. Of course, names were shortened too. My name's Esther, which was shortened to "ez" for some reason (probably since our code already included "es").
When we driven this too far for ourselves to be workable any longer, we shifted to building new words by adding random suffixes. Mine became "ezzums".
The whole episode lasted for about 6 months, which is a complete era in puberty, and after that I forgot all about it, until I had to choose nicks and handles. I quite like it, since it doesn't immediately give away things like gender or age.

My favorite choice would be the ultimate shortening of my name as pronounced in dutch:
S*
But that's not very userfriendly, I'm afraid.

As for the additional "s"-s:
The first years of WWW involved a lot of unstable websites, hopeless connections and my old computer. So it happened quite a few times that my digital world crashed at crucial moments, like when registering a nick. When retrying the website would persist my nick already existed, but wouldn't let me use it.
I use all my fingers when typing and tend to miss the numbers, so extra letters are easier than numbers. My nicks do vary in the amount of z/m/s that's in them.

Answer
11-03-06 13:18 as a reply to chefmomster2.
As ordered emoticon by Chef earlier today, here's the explanation of how I came to choose my nickname:

I'm a hughe fan of Fantasy novels and at the time I needed a nickname, I was reading Lyonesse by Jack Vance.
Of course there are lots of other great(er) books I could have chosen (from), but as it happened, my boyfriend (now husband)'s last name is Van Leeuwen, litteraly translated in English: "of Lions". Lions -> Lioness -> Lyonesse, so lyonesse it was (saves me one whole keystroke emoticon ).

Unfortunately, lyonesse isn't always available and as I don't like numbers in my nickname, I then use dubbelleeuw (since we're now married emoticon ) or RottSenner: mix some Rottweiler with Berner Sennen (Bernese Mountain Dog) and our big, boisterous but very loving 45 kilos of lapdog Sam is what you get. emoticon
And yes, Sam comes from LotR, but pronounced 'Dutchstyle': a bit like 'Some'.

Answer
13-04-06 02:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I chose this nickname years ago, and because it's so easy to use the same nick (almost) everywhere I use it here too.

It came from one of my hobbies: my MR2 car. In England some people call it Mr (mister) Two.
The prototype of the MR2 model I own now was called MR-S.
That, and the fact that I'm a woman made me think of Mrs Two.

The Japanese emblem has capitalized MR with the S in italic and in a different position. You will see it when my avatar has been approved.
That's not so easy to reproduce in most forum names, but a small s is fine by me.

The people in the Dutch MR2 fora only see the meaning MR-S, they don't realize I also use Mrs in the meaning of woman.
On non-MR2 fora people probably haven't got a clue what I mean emoticon

Answer
13-04-06 07:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My nick comes from university login

when I was given mail address at the university - then policy was to give 1st letter of first name and 5 letters of last name - in my case it should be 'twozni', but it was already ocupied, so I was given 'twoznia'

since that time I am using that nick in every place where it is needed, as I remember that ;)

Tomek

Answer
03-06-06 03:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name is a combination of my own love for roses and a tribute to my great-great grandmother whose name was Rose.

Answer
27-07-06 22:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
This isn´t very long story.PJA means Paavo and Annika. In finish and is ja. So it is my boyfriend´s name with my name.

Answer
28-07-06 01:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My name comes from a place I used to work..for email names they used the 1st 2 and last 2 letters of a person's last name and then the 1st 2 and last 2 letters of the first name. That made my name LadyRose, I liked that name and decided to use it for my screen name, on one website I had to add the numbers because the name was already in use. The 59 is the last 2 numbers of my house.

Answer
03-10-06 00:20 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well im from the netherlands.
The v means woman (vrouw) ande the rest of the name cable you know just a cable hihihi.
Put that together and you have vcable emoticon

Answer
14-10-06 17:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm from Israel, and my name is Barak (it means 'lightning' in Hebrew, and that's also the name of my first griddler)

Between the nick and my name there isn't connection at all.
Shadow is one of the robots from an old and very good computer game called OMF2097 (OMF= one must fall). the shadow was my favorite robot there (it's like mortal combat, but you can switch your robot...).
I really experted in that game. You can understand now also the meaning of '2097', the year in which the game takes place.

my nick is shadow/shadow2097 anywhere.. is more than a nick it's a way of life.
and one of my goals in life is to live until this year (pretty difficult task, considering that I born at 1988, what means that I want to live until the age of 109)...

Answer
14-10-06 22:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
hihihi you have a lot of years to go then shadow lollll emoticon

Answer
14-10-06 22:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My real name is Katherine, but my family always called me Nooky Noo. No idea why. By my teenage years it had become just Nook, and a lot of people know me only as this. Often nook is taken, so I always use nook71, as I was born in 1971!

Answer
02-07-07 18:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I like combat strategy games quite a lot.

I also like the first six letters on my keyboard.

So it's qwerty's turn to attack now.

Answer
23-09-07 22:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My favotite band is U2. The fourth song of the album Rattle and Hum is called Hawkmoon 269, so I decided to use Hawkmoon as a nickname.

Erik de Bont.

Answer
05-10-07 05:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
mine is pig latin for Cafe, the first username I ever used on the internet, and the one I used to meet my hubby in 1994 (yep all the way back then when it was just text)

Now I feel REALLY old emoticon

Answer
10-11-07 19:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I just use my real name, nothing fancy about it.

Answer
07-02-08 21:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I was much younger, I used the name No Way on BBSes. Then, when I started using the internet thing I didn't like the name, and decided I needed a new one. Of course, I was something like 15 and thought I knew everything, so I went with big_genius. But then I found that on some sites somebody else already had that name (the nerve of some people!), so I bounced around usernames for a while. When I went to University in 2001 I was given the userid lmdemasi for e-mail and such. It's the initials of my first and middle names followed by my last name. I started using it everywhere and I've never had a problem with my user name being taken since then -- Unless I try and sign up somewhere I already have an account and have forgotten about it.

Answer
07-02-08 21:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
ok, after two years on this puzzling site, here is my name-story:
once upon a time we went in holiday and leave our empty domicile with lots of blanc white walls allone with my mad brother. his madness made him paint funny pigs around the power-sockets. but he was still boring and so he paint a big evil frog above our dartboard. and because the little middle of the dartboard is called bull (`s eye), the evil heavymetal frog become two bullhorns and so the name bullfrosch was born.
so there is only one little question:
why a frog (in german = frosch) ?
well this was and still is my nikname specialy given by the person who shared now for nearly 15 years every night the bed with me, but this is a completly different story.
to bad that the only photo of this first bullfrog is missed 8(

now we have a very big dragon and a 2 meters high magus on the walls, to bad that we soon will move to a new house and can`t take the wallpapers with us....
i wonder what and who will paint the new empty walls?

Answer
07-02-08 23:52 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Count me among the boring. Osadczuk was my maiden name, and well, unless my sister has beaten me to a site, no one *ever* uses it. Conveniently, even in the Ukraine it is a rather uncommon name and it is usually anglicized to "Osadchuk".

Answer
08-02-08 01:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a big science fiction fan, and one of the first non-Star Trek science fiction novels that I read, apart from assigned readings in high school, was Larry Niven's Ringworld. In it, one of the main characters is named Louis Wu. When he and some other characters landed on the Ringworld, he found many of the locals there calling him by the more phonetic form of his name, Luweewu.

I figured that that was easier to type than the previous online name, Advanced LIFEform, that I had been using in the online forums at university so I adopted the new moniker and have been using it wherever it has not already been taken. (Fortunately, it wasn't already taken here, or I'd be known here by the nickname that I use as a backup, Yuri LaPlace, which is a character name that I came up while I was in a local Star Trek club. But I digress.)

Regards,
luweewu

Answer
08-02-08 04:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
In high school on papers I didn't have to turn in I would just write the first half of my first name-Jeanette and first half of my last name. I have been using it ever since. In other forums people have assumed I was sharing my user name with my husband and they would ask if I was Jean or Pete. I am always suprised when I have to add something to the end because someone else is already using it. Who else is using it and what's their story??

Answer
09-02-08 00:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
What a great topic! Thanks to everyone for sharing.

My username dates back to the first time I ever went into a chatroom, and I've just stuck with it.

I didn't want to give too much away re name/gender, hence the 'Mel', which I actually dislike as a nickname in non-virtual life.

Then wanted something that said a little about my personality. I'm generally cheerful by nature. (When I was vice-captain in high school, the younger kids used to call me "Captain Smiley".) So, the 'chuckle' was a snap decision. Not overly creative, but it's stuck.

Melissa emoticon

Answer
09-02-08 01:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Add 1 to the boring side for names. My name is just that.... my name :shock:

Answer
09-02-08 04:03 as a reply to chefmomster2.
[quote="gemfire"]... and hagitm already knows this from a chat session but, I really thought she was a man for some reason.

For the longest time, I too, thought hagitm was male. That is, until I saw her in the photos taken at those meetings that took place a while back. The nick is a bit like the name, Hagrid, from the Harry Potter series, so I guess that's probably why everyone thinks she's male.

Answer
09-02-08 05:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Sigh. I would have chosen better if I'd realized that Forum was a community, not just a place for tech help emoticon "glllop" does stand for something, and I use it on registration forms (online), but it's not the most elegant name :oops: . I'll answer to it if called, but I'd rather you call me...

JC

Answer
10-02-08 00:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Many moons ago when I 1st signed onto AOL it made me pick a user name. A user name - what's that - I thought. So I clicked help - it said usually a hobby or something you can remember. So I thought and looked around my room -- A HA!!! I LOVE :love7: to read and am an avid collector of all things GOOFY (Disney). Therefore, I became readergoof. I wanted to be Becca, but someone has always chosen it.

Now here's the funny part. My mom thought it was REbecca A DEeR GOOF. Only my mom :sign5:!

Enjoy! Bec.

Answer
10-02-08 06:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
No imagination here. I usually use my real name Alma at every place I post, so I don't have to remember lots of different user names. It wouldn't let me use Alma here, so I decided to go by my other name, mom, and last initial b.

Answer
10-02-08 19:20 as a reply to chefmomster2.
my nick name at high school was crusty because it sounds like my first name Kirsty and goes well with my maiden name Callam. Mr husbands name is Richard, I needed a username that did not contain my name for something when we were still just going out and decided to use the phrase crusty4rich and have stuck with it ever since.

On the issue of gender people often assume that I am male, and odly where usernames are genderless I mostly assume the person is male, but I have no idea why.

Answer
11-02-08 20:36 as a reply to chefmomster2.
[quote="chefmomster2"]Thanks to everyone for your stories! They're terrific! I really hope that more people let us know the origins of their names.

ChefI came by the persona MomWiz quite by accident, but it stuck! When searching for an online name for my first AOL account in 1994, after trying so many versions of my real name, I typed in MomWiz because I had become known for intellectual pursuits. As I said "How about that one?" I was shocked that it was accepted, and so Momwiz became an online personna and then my website name and business since 1996. Never know what can happen!

Answer
12-02-08 02:18 as a reply to chefmomster2.
For 20 or so years my brother and I worked together. We always called each other Mr. Sullivan; one of our employees wondered why we were both so stodgy with the Mr. Sullivan bit. We told her that it was because we were both named Fred and that was the only way we could tell each other apart.

She didn't get the joke. But just couldn't do the "Mr." bit.

She started calling me Fredtheyounger. She called my brother ThatA**. emoticon

Sean

Answer
13-02-08 02:20 as a reply to chefmomster2.
ROTFL!! Sean, you always make me laugh, but this story is the best!!

Answer
15-02-08 19:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
So the story of my name probably isn't that interesting. When I was about 3 years old my father was reading me a story while I was taking a bath. He kept turning the book around to show me the pictures and at one point asked me if that was what my nursery school teacher did with the yiladim. Then he asked me what yiladim meant in English and I apparently responded pumpkins. (Yiladim is Hebrew for children). So ever since then my father has called me pumpkin and since he originally created my aol username way back it became my username as well. 81 is the year I was born. and I posted this in the wrong place and dont know how to move it -- yey me

Answer
15-02-08 20:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
[quote="pumpkin81"]and I posted this in the wrong place and dont know how to move it -- yey me
No problem - some of us have the power to move and merge you posts.

Nice story!

Jelga

Answer
21-02-08 22:21 as a reply to chefmomster2.
The story behind my user name

When I was a teen I loved to go to the dancing school with my friends. The lessons were not the main thing, we went there nearly every Saturday night for the party.
Seeing back, the summer when the movie Dirty Dancing came to the movies may have been the top of that time. We were all crazy about the film and the mambo and took extra lessons to get it. We saw the film several times, in the cinema and later on video.

About two years later, when I started work, there was a hidden computer game my colleagues loved. It was called "Dungeons of Doom", a Rogue-like one. You had to collect books and potions and weapons and fight agains monsters.
I needed a name for that game that described me and decided for "DirtyDancer". I also used it in the high scores of our 3D-Tetris.
But it never was my official login or e-mail address!

Later, after I changed work, everybody worked on a separate PC and more and more former free decidable names were set under administrative control (we now have regularities for everything - accounts, computer names, etc..) the name fell into oblivion. I even haven't used it in private any more. As my husband administrates our computer he often sets things without asking.
I even forgot the name when choosing our ebay-account! It now is phantomcolumn, after a Square Dancing figure we learned about that time.

I detected griddlers on paper, there's a monthly P.M. magazine called "Kreativ-Trainer". After it got too boring to write columns of dots for the same colour I was looking for an online alternative. The 3 examples on the P.M. page were a starter, but got even faster boring.
Then I found this page. I didn't spend much time as a guest, but decided soon, that I need a login. And at that time I finally remembered my old computer game name and I chose it again.
So now I'm here - DirtyDancer. The friends from former dancing times are mostly away, also most of the dancing itself. Now I've about 30kg more - thank you, kids, that remained after the pregnancies! - and if I dance at all it's not "dirty" any more. But the name lives again.

DirtyDancer (Anke)

Answer
24-02-08 10:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I started using this name ages ago. J. and T. are the initials of my first and last names, and at the time that I chose this name, my favorite flower was the daisy. :flower: (Though over the years, my favorite flower has changed to the orchid.)

RE: User Names
Answer
21-08-08 21:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Mine is pure (ish) and simple. Torchwood is my favourite TV programme, it is my user name on most places. And... thus. This account was born.

It's just my favourite TV programme actually, I am addicted to it.

Torchwood is a more adult spin off of the British Sci-Fi programme Doctor Who for those of you who haven't heard of it.
If you haven't heard of Doctor Who, shame on you. Where have you been for the last 45 years.

RE: Re: User Names
Answer
21-08-08 21:12 as a reply to chucklemel.
It's odd, I just read your user name as Chuck Lemel. Which made me think of the whole 'If life throws you lemons....' thing.

That's... about it really. Made me laugh though.

Answer
27-08-08 22:56 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My story about my nickname is quite simple. May be too simple.
My given name is Roy (which means king in old-French spelling and red in Celtic, my favorite color), and the number of my very first and very own apartment was 464. My nickname goes around the internet for such a long time now, so I keep the nickname although I really do have bad memories of my first apartment.

But please, just call me Roy. Thanks.

Answer
28-08-08 15:57 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Sitting at the computer one day a long time ago, my son, who is over a foot taller than me , patted me on the head and said " you're just like an elf mum". :idea:

Nicki

Answer
13-03-09 17:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I first registered here I wanted to use a new nickname (don't know why). And it is in cyberspace, right? When you pronounce cyber it sounds like it's spelled sajber in swedish. And my real name starts with 'S' as well. But i think that 'Z' is cooler (and usually use nicknames that starts with Z). So.. ZajberZ it is!
PS. I guess it doesn't tell... I'm female.
PPS. The real reason why i started use Z is because my family had two girls from Congo staying with us for a while, and they saw my name written (Stina) before they heard it, and when they pronounced it it sounded like Zetiina. After they left my dad continued to call me "baby Zetiina". If you bounce into a zetiina somewhere else, or email it, it's probably me!

Answer
13-03-09 20:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My story. NICK: VTIPKARJOPE. Collect anecdote (VTIPKAR). My Name is Jozef Peťovský. (JOPE).

Neovládam angličtinu. Ahojte. vtipkarjope emoticon

Answer
13-03-09 22:38 as a reply to vtipkarjope.
My full first name is Jan Harm, but often called Harm Jan or just Harm.
When i needed a nickname a thought Harmless would sound nice,
I found out this name was already in use, so i added my year of birth '52

Answer
15-03-09 09:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My boring user name came about when the boyfus wanted to sell some mountain bike parts on EBay, but he didn't have a computer let alone email. So the idea was, I would set an account up and manage the online stuff for him. I tried to choose a name he would remember when he could take over the account - the abbreviated name of his mountain bike club, plus the obligatory number. However, he has never taken it over, and I got tired of thinking up acceptable new user names, and now use amtbc1 in all sorts of places as my own. It's cool though - I'm a mountain biker too. 8)

Answer
27-03-09 15:41 as a reply to amtbc1.
Not a very exciting story for me - my name is david and my birthday is the 25th July 1987. As in the UK we writed dates day/month/year mine is 25/7/87. I originally had david25787 but got a bit annoyed at writing the 7 twice so shortened it to david2587!
It's a pity I wasn't born the same year as my brother (1984) because then I could be david2584 - the 18th Fibonacci number! (and as a maths student (soon to be a PhD student) that would have been pretty cool...)

Answer
28-03-09 12:39 as a reply to david2587.
david2587:
...my birthday is the 25th July 1987. /--/ It's a pity I wasn't born the same year as my brother (1984) because then I could be david2584 - the 18th Fibonacci number! and as a maths student that would have been pretty cool...

I was born on 25th July 1984! Now that is cool emoticon

Answer
28-03-09 22:41 as a reply to Jenny84.
Glad to be of some help! Maths geekery can be useful once in a while... emoticon

Answer
15-04-09 20:04 as a reply to david2587.
im from slovakia my first name is jana .Januska is miniature from my name and 123 because only januska is nothing special

Answer
19-04-09 00:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I love cats and by year zodiac sign I am a cat, hence the avatar ... But it has nothing to do with my nickname. Well, its teh first letter of my first name (nato) and my family name (kirvalidze). In Georgia many names end in "dze" (means 'son') or in "shvili" (meaning 'child'). I should also say that I am very often mistaken for a boy asmy name ends in "o" which is all right in Georgia emoticon but confusing to outside world. Nato is a Georgian version of Natalia.

I wondered about teh nicknames and found stories very interesting.

Regards to all,

Natalia :roll:

Answer
24-04-09 15:44 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi!

Lusta is my nickname. In English: lazy. My husband called in on this name,
when got acquainted. And I called him: lusti. The lusti in the Hungarian language
an indulging expression, while the lusta sounds rather firmly.
Everything familiar was surprised, when he like this called in, and expressed it
even with the emphasis, as if would take it seriously. We had to make our
apologies steadly of course, that only joke all of it.
Many years passed since it, and we summon each other rarely so already,
mainly, since we call each other a father and a mother.

lusta33

Answer
28-04-09 20:10 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi, my name is Martina and my nick mitulka is from my surname for free - Mitkova. My friends called me "Míťa" or "Míťulka".

Although I am married I still use this nickname.

mitulka

Answer
23-05-09 09:16 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I too have enjoyed reading about the different names. Mine is one of the boring ones - simply my initials. I occasionally use characters from my favourite fantasy novels, and usually need to add a number to them, but nobody else seems to share my initials, so it's an easy one to remember. Keep up the great stories, please!

Answer
23-05-09 21:49 as a reply to chefmomster2.
So here comes the story of my name:

I probably should start with the language and meaning of it. "Akatsuki" is Japanese and means "dawn". By the way, you wouldn't pronounciate it as written, but leave the "u" out, so that you get "Akatski".

Now you might think that I'm a morning person, but no, I'm not. I got the name because I am more like a night owl and come home in the morning.
And I like the symbolic behind dawn: The merge of light and darkness represents romantik and in psychology the "floating between two worlds". It stands for the beginning of something new that will end in a good way and therefore dawn is a symbol of hope for solving problems.

Now to answer the question why I chose Japanese instead of German, my mothertongue. Morgendaemmerung (dawn in German) is quite a long word, as every other German word with a similar meaning is. At the time I tried to fing a good nickname a friend of mine started learning Japanese, got to know of my problem in finding a name and gave me the solution to it by translating Morgendaemmerung.
I liked the sound of it and so I became "Akatsuki".

Later on I found out that "Akatsuki" is also an evil organisation in the Japanese manga "Naruto".
That's were I got my avatar from; it's their symbol.

Akatsuki

Answer
24-08-09 20:13 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well, I'm not very original... My name is Zosia (actually Zofia but nobody calls me like that). This nick was already taken so i chose Zosiak - the name which only my dad calls me emoticon

Sorry for my English - zosiak

Answer
26-08-09 18:34 as a reply to chefmomster2.
FantasyAngel just popped in my head when I was searching for a nickname on another forum. NOw I use it on every forum I'm on. XD

Answer
04-06-11 10:04 as a reply to chefmomster2.
it's from horoscope.akrep means scorpion.75 is my birthyear.ppp is available emoticon)

Thread Split
Answer
24-02-12 08:22 as a reply to chefmomster2.

Forum Moderatorer: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.