Re: Curiouser and Curiouser! qwerty_strikes 02/07/07 18:12
Re: Curiouser and Curiouser! Hawkmoon 15/11/07 19:49
Re: Curiouser and Curiouser! Tike 15/11/07 21:26
RE: Curiouser and Curiouser! sus95 10/08/13 20:36
RE: Curiouser and Curiouser! azngrl513_jm 13/08/13 06:33
Curiouser and Curiouser!
Answer
18/06/04 02:11
First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!

Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?

Tell me! Tell me!
Thanks!
Chef D

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser!
Answer
19/06/04 00:18 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a single mum of two young children aged 3 (a girl) and 6 (a boy). Obviously my time is spent looking after the children, and the home but that is by day.........................

At night, when the children are in bed and sound asleep it is mums time !!!!!

Griddlers help me to relax, and do something I enjoy doing. It also helps keep my brain ticking over. For no matter how much I enjoy my children, I need some stimulation.

So thank you griddlers team for saving my sanity.

>First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!
>
>Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
19/06/04 01:00 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a stay at home mom, too. My son is only a few months old.
When he's asleep, I play Griddlers to keep my brain alive.

Answer
19/06/04 01:19 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi.

I'm a college student earning a degree in physics, and eventually engineering. I solve griddlers to relax after class, but also keep my brain active so I'm not bored silly when there's no homework to do (which isn't often. ;))

NS1

Answer
19/06/04 01:45 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a software developer. I solve griddlers and triddlers every now an then throughout the day (mostly when I'm waiting for something to complet, such as when I'm compiling something). I also solve them in my free time at home.

I like the challenge and stimulation of them, and I try to keep up with the triddlers as best as I can. So far, I've been successful at completing every triddler that has been created and keeping up with all of the new ones. With all of the griddlers and the amount of new ones every day, I've given up the hope of solving every one of them any time in the foreseeable future. -(

I even like to create a puzzle every now and then and currently have 6 up on this site (3 gridders and 3 triddlers).

Answer
19/06/04 02:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am basically a stay at home mom. I have four girls, 1, 4,5, and 7. I am attending college to get my accounting degree. I am only getting the degree so if something happens to my husband we have a back up plan. My life is devoted to my kids.
I solve both griddlers and triddlers in the morning while kids watch their cartoons and at night to relax.
Dolphin

Answer
19/06/04 02:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a kindergarten teacher. I love working puzzles of any kind and I especially love Griddlers! Some days, I feel as though I may scream after dealing with 20 5&6 year olds during the day! Griddlers relaxes me and keeps me sane!

>First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!
>
>Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
19/06/04 02:44 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Another teacher here! I teach ESL ( English for Second Language Learners) to K5 through 5th Grade youngsters during the regular school year. This summer I am teaching reading and math to at-risk 4th Graders for our Summer Academy. Griddlers is both relaxing and mind stimulating. But, at this time, it's an avoidance technique. I should be finishing my master's thesis and inservice program. However, I find that working the Griddlers clears my mind so that I can concentrate and be more productive...is this a rationalkization for my wasting time or what?!?! No, I do not use Griddlers with my students. Most of them have enough trouble with basics.

Linda
Lebanon, PA USA

Answer
19/06/04 05:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Retired physician. Have always loved numbers. I spend most of my time in my woodshop, playing poker, and in the yard. My wife is an early to bed (1100) person and I stay up another few hours and spend some of that time on this site.

Another plug for the Griddler Team. I would like to see more stars. At this time, there are 67 users on line and only 2 stars. I would like to see this site go a lot faster, but the team cannot do it without some help from more of us.

Answer
19/06/04 06:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a Mental Health Counselor currently working with convicted sex offenders, the majority of whom were recently released after many years incarceration. I print off the 50X50 griddlers and work on them when I need a break from the some of the intensity of the job. I find that carrying a clipboard of griddlers also makes me look like I'm busy with paperwork ;) They also come in handy for killing time when I've got 'down time' (e.g. waiting to testify in court, during over-extended administrative meetings, etc.) And then in the evenings and weekends, I always make some time to solve a few on line.

Answer
19/06/04 07:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
> >I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs.

Well that's me! I have a bachelor's in math, and love to read all that I can on the subject. I'm working on another degree in women's studies. I do all sorts of volunteer work for local non-proftis, that social service category. Here's the thing, my favorite job was working with young women, in an after-school program, definetly a service oriented job. The thing is I love school so much I'll probably end up in some sort of academic feild.

Griddlers keep me thinking, and I love that.

Answer
19/06/04 07:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a PhD student in molecular biology. I don't have time to griddle at work, but (almost) every evening at least a part is spent at griddlers. And I have to admit I get up an hour earlier just to do some griddlers before I go to work....
Marije

Answer
19/06/04 08:02 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Chef, you curious cat! )

I work as an editor in the largest Slovak publishing house (which is not large in comparison to the largest publishing houses in the rest of Europe LOL). I never quite liked maths back at school, but I always loved logical puzzles of all sort. A couple of years ago (well, some 7 years ago, to be precise) I discovered griddlers in a newspaper and I became addicted almost instantly. So when I discovered this site, it was quite normal that I have become a regular visitor to this site.

I do most of griddlers at home - just for the fun of it (and as a relax). But when I'm fed up with my work (which isn't often) I do griddlers even at work. When I need a break, I make some coffee and griddle ).
I gave up teaching it other people unless they ask me. Most of the people I know think I'm "strange" when they see me filling empty squares but I don't mind. They don't know what fun is hidden behind it, do they? LOL

But Chef, you didn't reveal YOUR story. Will you do it for us? We're curious too!

Dominika.

>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
19/06/04 13:38 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a work at home mom. I have a degree in computer science and now do mostly ColdFusion web development. I have 3 kids, all under 5, and sometimes I griddle and triddle to escape. I usually do a few in the morning to help my brain wake up, and will work on a really hard one at night - the kind where you go over and over it, trying to find just one more box to mark - to help me fall asleep. I first discovered these puzzles in Games Magazine, and got their book. I worked and then erased those puzzles until the paper was worn out! I am very grateful to have a virtually unlimited supply now!

Carol in Gatesville, TX

Answer
19/06/04 13:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>But Chef, you didn't reveal YOUR story. Will you do it for us? We're curious too!
>

Sorry, Dominika, what was I thinking?

I was a teacher for several years working with 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English and History students, but at that time I didn't even know Griddlers existed. More recently my time has been spent with 2-5 year olds as a Media Center Paraprofesional- mostly reading stories and teaching library skills. (Not much use for Griddlers with the 2year old set, I'm afraid!) but, while working at the school I got to know one of our teachers for the Gifted.

I had an absolutely wonderful time one day when I made arrangements to go into her classroom and teach Griddlers to her 5th and 6th grade students. It was fabulous! Some of them had no use for Griddlers- it's more than just IQ, it's also drive and persistence and many of these kids feel the need to succeed instantly or they give up. However, there were a precious few who ask me about Griddlers to this day.

I also substitute teach at the school and now that we have the minimalist puzzles and the super-easy kiddlers, I intend to keep a ready supply with me. You never know when extra activities will come in handy when you're called upon to fill in for a teacher at the last minute!

I can see SO many uses for Griddlers with children and young adults! Not only for teaching logic, but what about maps of continents, states or nations? Great works of art or historic persons or buildings? What a way to involve the students and get them to really take a detailed look at the subject!

Not surprisingly I'm seeing a lot of stay-at home moms (as I was for 6 years. Anything to keep your mind above the level of a screaming 2-year old! You know you're in trouble when you find you're humming the latest songs from Sesame Street instead of the latest Top 10 hit!

Thank you to all of you who have responded so generously with your ideas.
Chef )

>

Answer
19/06/04 14:21 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I told my boss I was pregnant he got very angry and told me he would do everything to get me sacked. He also said that I would most probably miscarry since close to 40% of every pregnancy ends with a miscarriage. Five weeks later I miscarried...

Today I am unemployed and use Griddlers to keep my mind going. Griddlers is one of the reasons I turn on my computer almost every day. And I make use of the time to e-mail my friends, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise...

But hey... I'm glad I don't have to see my boss anymore anyway! -)

Answer
19/06/04 15:27 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Leave it up to you, Chef, to come up with another great link.

I am a licensed Medical Technologists who will within the next few months be changing from managing a 5 doctor physicians office laboratory to a 34 doctor, 17 office laboratory. Doing griddlers helps relieve some of the stress of this transition. I have always had a passion for puzzles especially logic or mind games. I came across griddlers in game magazine and immediately fell in love with them so I was thrilled when I found this site. I do griddlers at work, both on paper and on line during lunch or any other slow time. I don't have as much time to do them now as I have in the past, but I still try to get in an hour or so in the evening. I always have a few 50 X 50 griddlers with me to work on. I have found that this site is not only a great site for griddlers but also a great site to make friends. I have made some really great friends and with the message capabilities it's so easy to keep in touch with them. You have to figure that the people on the site have the same interests as you do. How often in the "real" world do you find that?

Love ya Chef,
Barb

Answer
19/06/04 18:26 as a reply to chefmomster2.
First of all, Griddlers has nothing to do with my job. I work for JLG Industries ( for those of you who are unfamiliar with them, we make Diesel and electric powered boom lifts - the second largest supplier globally). Griddlers for me is just a natural extension of a lifelong passion for logic puzzles. I have always found that working my brain is the best way to relax and unwind. As for possible uses, I had a trig teacher years and years ago who used logic puzzles for extra credit work.

As always, great thread chefmomster!

Becklenay

Answer
19/06/04 18:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Griddlers relax me, and sharpen my mind. I can often be found with the site open at work... finishing "just one more" puzzle at lunch. When I am overwhelmed with people, questions, projects and responsibilities... griddlers are a chance to focus on thinking my way through to a beautiful outcome.

I work in the Community Development office of the small city of Bath, Maine in the US. Community Development means... we write lots of grants! for housing programs, environmental clean-up, businesses, and more. My favorite recent successful grant is for ArtWorks, a summer arts outreach program (think art teachers with a van full of supplies).

In my spare time, I make mosaics from scrap glass and tile - a project not unlike solving a griddler!

Brenda (kennebec) ... by the way, my name comes from the river I live next to - the Kennebec. BEC are my initials, so it made sense to become kennebec...

Answer
19/06/04 19:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I can truly identify with Chandcar. Several years ago I became the stay-at-home parent, and started a subscription to Games magazine and found the PBN puzzles. I too bought the book, and did every single one!

Then, after doing an online search for Paint By Numbers, I ran across the PBN site, and was reading an old forum post which brought me to Griddlers. I've been here ever since!

I find that Griddlers satisfy a life-long passion I've had for jigsaw puzzles, without needing to take up space on a table, or look for lost pieces. I think the largest jigsaw I ever did was 10,000 pieces. (Never again!)

While at home, I've taken on some extensive volunteer projects at my son's school, the biggest of which is a world geography study program. 400 students at this school are learning the locations of countries around the world. I am very proud of the what I have helped these kids accomplish, and I enjoy finding people from some of these places on this site. How many Americans do you find who know that Yugoslavia is now Serbia and Montenegro? What has been particularly interesting is how much the kids have taught their parents!

Now, I will be returning to work as a Software Engineer (my husband is taking over the at-home parenting responsibilities) I will certainly not have as much time to spend on the Griddlers site, but I will still be here!

Keep up the fine work, Griddlers!
Kay in Beaverton, OR (USA)

Answer
19/06/04 21:44 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a legal secretary and part time software beta tester for various companies. I've always been analytical and I love a challenge so grids are perfect. I used to buy PBN books years ago and when I finished all the puzzles, I'd buy the same one again if there wasn't a new one out yet. Talk about obsessive!!! Now my obsession is griddlers. It doesn't directly help my work but I can pretty much do a grid and completely clear my mind, relax and get a mental break from the everyday stuff. I do grids at work and home. I've gotten one daughter addicted and my other daughter thinks they're a waste of time. Can you tell which one inherited the analytical DNA from me. =)

Answer
19/06/04 22:26 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Here's my two cents. I am a Java Developer who writes online certification management software. It's fun work, mostly, but I do need the occasional "illicit" break. And that's where Griddlers comes in.

Doing the puzzles is a great distraction for me, and when I've had enough of writing code and tracking down bugs, a puzzle with a beautiful picture at the end of it is just what I need.

Thanks for this great site, gang!

Sacker

Answer
20/06/04 04:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I use griddlers to relax before bed. I originally found this type of puzzle when I was looking for online coloring pages for a kid, and the term 'paint by number' brought up a site that did this type of stuff. That was about 3 years ago. I migrated here because a) griddlers is up more often than that site, and b) there's more than just black and white grids. )

As far as work, I answer phones for a credit card company. Customer service work. Nothing fancy.

Answer
20/06/04 07:40 as a reply to chefmomster2.

Hi Everyone,
I now manage the information centre in a growing market town in England (current pop. around 33,000) and have a staff of volunteers, which has been a very new, interesting and rewarding experience. I love the job, always work extra hours and don't really mean the grumbles about being so tired! Every day there are "problems" to solve working out the right journey itinerary, filling in a complicated form for someone, finding out where an American visitor's family used to live, answering things like "I know it's a long shot, but do you know Jock?" (and we found the guy!) I love a challenge and I love not knowing what's going to happen at work today.
I've been doing this job for 3 years and before that I ran a language centre (courses and translation/interpreting service) in Germany for 12 years - yup, I too was a teacher!
Ever since I can remember, I've enjoyed solving puzzles & brain teasers. I first got addicted to PBN through books and always brought an armful back from holidays in the US. And then one day I found this wonderful, friendly site. I am constantly on the lookout for unusual sites for a feature I do once a week on BBC Radio called "WWWW - weird, wacky and wonderful websites". I haven't featured griddlers.net on there yet, but it's on the associated website as one of the places I spend an awful lot of my time! I do the puzzles at home - there's no time at work - and I frequently fall asleep in front of the screen - no, not because griddlers are boring, but because it's 4 a.m. and I really ought to be in bed! I solve griddlers rather than triddlers because I know where I am with those. I haven't really had a go at triddlers yet, but I know I will soon.
My name, by the way, is punkinUK - my husband calls me Punkin and I'm in the UK.

Answer
20/06/04 15:42 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Yep, I'm another one of the "tech" group.

I am a "business analyst" - at my company that's a systems analyst who was never a programmer. I have learned some programming along the way, but I got this job because of my logic skills along with my business experience.

There's no way to use griddlers in my business, but I guess they do keep my mind working.

Some people may want to get away from their work at lunch time, but I like to do griddlers then. Even if it's more of the logical thinking, it is a break for me.

Answer
20/06/04 16:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I never answered the nickname question.. Just brainstormed it up when I couldnt get an e-mail account setup....

Now, my occupation.... well, you could say that I am a 'Jane of All Trades"
The majority of my working years I have been a Financial Controller.. for many different types of businesses from a casino to cellular phone company to an interior plantscape company. And dont forget the 5 years at the CPA firm... Now for the other occupations, I was a bartender, did a talk radio show and managed a couple of bands... Currently, I work for one of the largest upscale gentlemen's clubs in the USA... No, not dancing, I am responsible for the cash handling procedures and also am one of the club's hosts....

Now..... when you add all my occupations up, it is the reason I am a member here.... ADHD.. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. These along with logic puzzles have helped me tremendously with my ADHD to train my mind to take a task from start to finish....

I love these puzzles and have the most respect for all the people behind the scenes. I have chatted with many of them and they are all quick witted and helpful.

Lisa
aka HastaLaLisa

Answer
20/06/04 17:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.
It seems there are a lot of teachers here, and a number of stay at home moms. I'm a little of both. I am always involved with children. I've worked as a preschool director, preschool teacher, and day care worker, also home day care. I've homeschooled my children. Now I am a stay at home mom with 2 medium ones, 8 and 10, that we are adopting. I have 4 of my own, along with 8 grandchildren. (Well, it'll be 8 this December.)
Anyway, I stumbled across Griddlers and love them, I've done them in Games magazine and did a search. I typed in games.com--big mistake--it was a porn site! Anyway, I finally found this site. I now have a subscription for Games magazine, and I am here at Griddlers everyday. I had the idea to start with the easy ones and just progress on through to the hardest ones, but I never get off of page one, because there are so many new ones everyday!
I just love to do them, I love to do puzzles, I love numbers, sometimes I just count for no reason. I go to sleep by counting the days in the months to find out what day Christmas will fall on this year, and stuff like that. Weird!
Who can it be now?
Nancie

> >Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?
> >Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
20/06/04 23:23 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a stay at home mother of two (William Boychild, and Beth MaryBeth). We home school our children, and are in the process of finishing 5th grade. I majored in history and behavioral science in college, and minored in art. I love to sew, crochet, needlepoint, and garden. I enjoy the logic of basic math, algebra, and geometry. At one point I loved accounting because I could add up rows and rows of neatly printed numbers and write delicately consistent cursive words on big 13 column worksheets. When my teacher put me on a computer, I suddenly lost all interest. The machine took away everything I loved about accounting.

When I first met my husband (Daniel jdashton), he was saddened by my fear and loathing of computers (especially as he was a computer science major). Being the very wise man that he is, he quickly got me hooked on computer games. He knew I loved puzzles, so the first game he introduced me to was Tetris. I loved it! Over the last 14 years (this coming thursday -) ) he has introduced me to many more games, paint programs, and even HTML. I have managed to make friends with the computers in my life, and do a large amount of school and household work on them too. Several months ago Daniel found this site and showed it to me. I have enjoyed it immensely and have spread the word to many of our friends and neighbors.

I do use griddlers in school. When the kids get done with school early they can play school related computer games. Griddlers, is one of their favorite choices. I have seen a definite increase in their problem solving ability, and it crosses over into many different classes and life situations. I am planning on mentioning this site at my next home school evaluation.

I solve and create griddlers whenever I have a spare moment. During school it gives me something to do after I have explained an assignment, while the kids are working quietly. I am nearby, doing something that is not too distracting (as long as they can't see the screen! lol) I nearly always work one during our lunch break, and again in the evening whenever I can. I sometimes print them out to take with us when Daniel and I have music rehearsals.

Something that has just occurred to me is that most of the people we have introduced to griddlers are musically inclined (I can only think of two that aren't, out of 12 or more people). Of these musical people the majority play more than one instrument... and sing. Music is very mathematical I wonder if there is a connection.

Much thanks to the team for creating a site that fills so many creative, logical, fun, and escapist needs for so many people. )

Vicki "Vics"

Answer
21/06/04 02:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I teach (part-time) in the School of Business at a California State University campus -- teaching statistics. I am a Mom of two grown kids -- one in grad school (animal behavior) and one finishing up an undergraduate degree in bioengineering. My husband is a professor, too -- statistics, methodology, psychology. So, yep, I guess we're academic and numbers-oriented. My husband and I both really enjoy Griddlers ... but fairly new to the site. I hope someday to create my own puzzles, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks again for a great website, and to the many of you out there -- give a little back to the site. See "Donations" at the bottom left of your screen.

Peggy Berger (pegberger)

Answer
21/06/04 05:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Since I'm a relative newcomer, I'll share that Alphanana was bestowed upon me by my grandchildren. Due to divorced and remarried grandparents, they have 4 grandmothers, but they have told me (confidentially of course) that I'm their ALPHA nana.

I am a Realtor, and Griddlers and Triddlers are the most incredible stress relievers I've ever found! Since I found you guys, I'm sure my neighborhood bar is hurting. Who wants to fuzzy up the brain when you have new Triddlers waiting?!

Thanks for all you do,

Alphanana

Answer
21/06/04 17:26 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a biochemist in pharmaceutical research. I am definitely analytically-minded. I usually do a puzzle on my lunch break, and there are days when I have to stay late just because I HAD to finish the puzzle and took a long lunch! I like to do a puzzle or two before bed, too. I (like so many others) got addicted to PBN puzzles in Games magazine and another website, and when I solved every puzzle on the site, I went looking for a new one! I love Griddlers. Thanks for the hours of enjoyment!
~Kelly, Norristown, PA, USA

Answer
21/06/04 18:50 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I realized what a dumb thing I said before, that I was always on page one. What I meant was that no matter how many griddlers I solve (51 pages of them) I still haven't made a dent in the total number to go (72 pages). You'd think I'd be almost half done, but more come on everyday than I can solve in one day.
Anyway, I love them, and I solve them till my butt aches.
Nancie

Answer
22/06/04 16:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Currently I'm a stay at home wife (not a mom yet), but by trade I am a mechanical/manufacturing engineer. When I was working I would always have a Games magazine with me, and would use a crossword or paint by number as a way of calming down and refocusing myself when things got too stressful. Now I use this site as a way to keep myself thinking.

Answer
23/06/04 02:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
i am currently a stay-at-home single mom, who is also a full time student going for my Bachelor's in Political Science with a minor in Mass Communications. i do them because i enjoy them and they're a good stress reliever when the kids are acting up (3 ages 5, 4, and 2).

ShortMama

Answer
23/06/04 05:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I majored in Mathematics and Music in college. I have a true love for number logic and most of my hobbies center around creative uses of logic and numbers. For the last 10 years I have stayed at home to raise my kids, but I tutor math students (Jr. High through College) on the side. Also, I coach instrumental and vocal music students, play for weddings (on one of many instruments) and play for church.

I always have a puzzle with me. When I go to competitions with students, I entertain myself with puzzles. The students often look over my shoulder and question me on how to solve "griddler-like" puzzles. This allows me an opening to encourage them to love mathematics. I really believe there are not many students who, given proper instruction, can't master most basic math concepts. Logic style puzzles can show them the entertaining side of math.

>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
23/06/04 13:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a college Student. A science major with plans to obtain my PhD. I have always been interested in Logic puzzles and was first introduced to Griddlers as Japanese Crosswords. There was a sample in the back of my logic puzzle magazine. I immediately fell in love and began searching for them on the internet. That is how I found this site.
I think Griddlers would be an excellent tool to use in the classroom, perhaps at the Midddle School level. Often teachers have little creative thinking exercises or "fun" homework and give out crosswords or word finds...why not griddlers? They are fun and make you think and use problem-solving skills.
-HSpring

>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Answer
27/06/04 09:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Something that has just occurred to me is that most of the people we have introduced to griddlers are musically inclined (I can only think of two that aren't, out of 12 or more people). Of these musical people the majority play more than one instrument... and sing. Music is very mathematical I wonder if there is a connection.

Hi Vicki,

That's a very interesting point - maybe the start of a new thread? I learned recorder at school because everybody did back then. I play the piano, have a great interest in percussion and I sing alto. I also like to compose little pieces just for the fun of it and I've written a couple of songs.

I bet there's also a common link with languages!

Susan (PunkinUK)

Answer
27/06/04 19:31 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I don't work as I have a medical condition that I am trying to get under control at the moment but when I have worked I have done a variety of things which include being a factory-hand in the area of quality control (eg. building car gearboxes and making sure your canned foods aren't contaminated), nursery-hand, packer, shop assistant............ in other words whatever legit job I can get where I can keep a roof over my head, food on my table and the net connected so I can visit griddlers and chat to friends lol.

I know I'm addicted cos I've even made it my home page!!! rotflmao

Anybody else as addicted as that?

And just so you know I'm in Australia

Siobhan

Answer
28/06/04 01:46 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Very wierd guys- I studied piano for 5 years, guitar for 2, and have had voice and classical compostion instruction. I also forgot to mention that prior to my children coming along I was attending college for my degree in secondary education (math and computer sciences). I wonder how big a band we could start? LOL

Becklenay

Answer
28/06/04 15:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hello Susan and Becklenay,

Languages also seem to be a common thread with our friends that we have introduced to griddlers. While I am not fluent, I can understand Spanish and some German. Most of the other people can speak two or more languages.

A griddler band! Wonderful! -) I play string bass, recorder, and bass clarinet. My children play violin and piano, my husband plays violin, viola, string bass, piano, recorder, trumpet, trombone, tuba, . . . well, he plays nearly everything. Griddling friends I know of play violin, viola, cello, recorder (soprano to great bass), trombone, french horn, tuba, baritone, piano, organ, harpsicord, flute, oboe, clarinet, hand bells, percussion, and I am probably forgetting something! (I am also running out of breath! LOL)

>>Something that has just occurred to me is that most of the people we have introduced to griddlers are musically inclined (I can only think of two that aren't, out of 12 or more people). Of these musical people the majority play more than one instrument... and sing. Music is very mathematical I wonder if there is a connection.
>
>Hi Vicki,
>
>That's a very interesting point - maybe the start of a new thread? I learned recorder at school because everybody did back then. I play the piano, have a great interest in percussion and I sing alto. I also like to compose little pieces just for the fun of it and I've written a couple of songs.
>
>I bet there's also a common link with languages!
>
>Susan (PunkinUK)
>
>Very wierd guys- I studied piano for 5 years, guitar for 2, and have had voice and classical compostion instruction. I also forgot to mention that prior to my children coming along I was attending college for my degree in secondary education (math and computer sciences). I wonder how big a band we could start? LOL

Answer
28/06/04 15:49 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>A griddler band! Wonderful! -)

Piano here. But I think I will not get permission to attend rehearsals if the cost is being away from Griddlers.net. LOL

Hagit

Answer
29/06/04 01:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>A griddler band! Wonderful! -)

Sorry! I'll have to spend my time in the audience! I took piano lessons for about a year and can play three songs Chopsticks, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Pop Goes the Weasel! I also took guitar with even less spectacular results.

I could enroll my kids though- chefkiddler plays clarinet, my middle son plays alto sax and my daughter can sing like a bird if you ever need some vocals!

)

Answer
29/06/04 05:51 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a programmer - although with older technolgy than most I others I see here. I even have extensive cobol/mainframe experience -)

There is no use fror griddlers in my job - other than keeping my wits sharp.

I love puzzles of every kind - addicted since at least 5 years old - starting with jigsaws and these are my latest most lasting addiction allong with the jigsaws which never go away.

And with the variety of puzzles here - I can be challanged, relaxed, destressed, entertained, etc, depeding on my moods.

THANKS creators.

Since I am between jobs right now, i have become obsessed with the top solver list - and am amazed at all the difficult puzzles I was finally able to do -)

evalyn

Answer
01/07/04 20:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>>A griddler band! Wonderful! -)
>
>Sorry! I'll have to spend my time in the audience! I took piano lessons for about a year and can play three songs Chopsticks, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Pop Goes the Weasel! I also took guitar with even less spectacular results.
>
>I could enroll my kids though- chefkiddler plays clarinet, my middle son plays alto sax and my daughter can sing like a bird if you ever need some vocals!
>
>)

I'm going to have to join Chef in the audience (no complaint there). I play the piano-badly, the guitar-badly, and the dulcimer-badly and my voice---well all I can say is that I hurt my own eardrums when I sing in the shower so you can imagine what I do to other peoples ear drums. You will need a cheering section though and you'll have it from us.

Barb

Answer
15/07/04 06:09 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO?

I'm a manager for the leading provider of cell phone insurance in the US. When I was on the phone full time, I printed Griddlers to keep my mind occupied while talking. Between them and my jigsaw puzzles, my desk became a great place to stop on your break to chat so I got to know my coworkers. Since my last promotion I haven't spent much time on the phone so Griddlers are only at home.

As a side note, the internet access from the computers at work is so restricted that I cannot access Griddlers.net there. Maybe it's better that I get the work done anyway...

Answer
15/07/04 11:55 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm an Information person (not IT!) in the NHS here in the UK - I analyse figures and produce reports. I have a logical and analytical mind, which is partly why I love doing Griddlers. However, I also love the fact that you are building a picture rather than just doing a logic puzzle - Griddlers also satisfy the small art-streak I have since I can also create my own pictures as well.

I try and log on as much as I can - with working all day and a house to look after, I don't get that much spare time - but as much as possible is spent doing Griddlers. I am hoping to start a family within the next couple of years and am looking forward to being on maternity leave and spending even more time solving griddlers!

Answer
01/10/04 13:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I've found that Griddlers keep me thinking logically, which is important to me as a programmer. Logic is one of the basic foundations of code development, and being able to predict what will happen and make educated assumptions is key.

I've also found that Griddlers often distract me from the task at hand. There are things that I need to do around the house and at work, but there always seems to be time for one more Griddler )

Answer
03/10/04 05:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I agree with JGouldie (which by the way is my real name initials..JG). This site helps me to sharpen my mind and helps me to get my mind off of other things. I have recently went through 4 hurricane scares and 2 direct attacks...this site helped me through the horror by offering me something else to think about. Plus the operators of this site are among the nicest people on this planet. They actually care about you which is so unusual for websites.

>I've found that Griddlers keep me thinking logically, which is important to me as a programmer. Logic is one of the basic foundations of code development, and being able to predict what will happen and make educated assumptions is key.
>
>I've also found that Griddlers often distract me from the task at hand. There are things that I need to do around the house and at work, but there always seems to be time for one more Griddler )
>
>

Answer
05/10/04 02:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I don't have a job because I'm only in the 9th grade (sometimes I do babysitting but it doesn't count). but I think that when I'll be old enough to have a job, It will be something that has to do with math and logic.

Answer
15/12/04 19:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well, thanks to the new forum, I finally got to read all the messages in this topic! Great stories all. :thumbright:

I'm working at a non-profit organisation for nature-protection. I'm the one who looks after the databases we've got, especially the membership-administration. Making complicated selections to get 50.000 adresses devided in about fifteen different groups who all need to get a different letter to ask them to give some money, that sort of thing. Much like solving a griddler really, logic thinking and concentrating on looking for the exeptions.
Another part of my job is the administration of our properties, we've got about 80 nature-reservates and we've go a beautiful geographical information system where we can store all the information about them. Making good looking maps is also fun!

I love music, though I only play the recorder and not very often. I bought a harmonica two years ago, but still can't play a lot of songs. Should be practising more in stead of solving griddlers I'm afraid :oops:

I'd love to hear some more stories!

Bye, Jelga

Answer
16/12/04 12:16 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Like most people, I do a bit of everything. I'm a Mum who does bookkeeping, loves maths, languages and music.
I used to do similar puzzles called Descartes Enigma but recently discovered this site, and now I'm addicted.

Answer
18/12/04 23:49 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Let's see. What do I do?

For money, I do tech support and a little bit of systems administration.

From time to time, I'll barter some graphic design or web site design, usually for baked goods. emoticon

I'm a mycophile (I like to go out into the woods and pick mushrooms of all sorts -- this year the chanterelles were just AMAZING), I knit obsessively (usually my own designs), I sing all the time (currently singing soprano with a group called the Market Street Singers), I do other sorts of puzzles...

Oh, and the one hobby I've got that I would be really surprised if anyone else here shared: I spin fire.

Answer
19/12/04 09:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I have to say that it has been great to read all the stories here. And with this new forum I managed to read all of them. :book: Since I have enjoyed reading them I think it's just fair to tell my own story. :hello:

I'm first year student in college in business and economics. Main subject is in financing and accountancy. And it actually is interesting, more interesting than it sounds. emoticon As you can see in my profile I'm older than college students usually. I didn't have any idea after high school what to do. Or more likely what to study really. So I did other interesting things and I have to say I enjoyed it! Last thing I did was graduating from vocational school as dressmaker. Studies took three years so it would be the real study for someone but for me it was just great hobby, one interesting to do, one dream to fullfill.

Studying something as theoretic as business and economy it's nice to have something totally different as hobby. Every kind of handicrafts fill my leisure time. Hmm.. what there is left after griddlers... emoticon Knitting, sewing, bead works, embroidering, just name it.

Coming to think of it I can find the more logic part and the creative part in griddlers too. Solving needs logic but the result is beautiful picture. And of course creating new puzzles is great. :toothy8:

Some of our lessons are with computers and since there is internet access I find it sometimes quite difficult to focus on the subject when there are so many griddlers to solve... I also showed griddlers to couple of my friends and now they are addicted too. :angel12: Obviously we have been making them quite often as our teacher in computer skills already knows what this site is about. Someone asked on beginning of the lesson what we were doing and our teacher came to watch what is so interesting and said 'Oh that one again...' :mrgreen:

Answer
19/12/04 16:36 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well, again another teacher, Biology this time. Puzzling has been my hobby for as long as I can remember. I use Griddlers in my lessons to help pupils think in a logical way: "If that piece is red then...." Another good way to train logic is with Logigrams!
I spend too much time on this site, I prefere Triddlers, because I already made a lot of griddlers on paper. And I still do that when there is no computer around.
Fineke

Answer
22/12/04 15:11 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Telecommunications Analyst, former COBOBL programmer here.

I work for a VERY large entertainment company in the United States. Central Florida.

Have subscribed to Games magazine since their first time around - probably starting in the early 80's when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. Now I have hundreds of them all over my house. Paint by numbers became my favorite, and sad;y it looks like they are being phased out of GAMES. Fortunatley, I found this place and currently on my desk have Vol 3 of the igridd book printed and out, hole punched, and in a binder I carry with me all day to meetings emoticon

Bob V

Answer
02/01/05 16:29 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a widdow and a mother to 3 great sons (ages 10,12,14). We always loved logic puzzles and tried to drag our kids to solve them with us. We came across griddlers in a magazine several years ago, but never became addicted.
A few months ago I've been abroad and bought myself a magazine at the airport, it had a lot of griddlers and I hardly touched them before I got back home. My two youngest sons asked me what I was doing and immediately got hooked on the idea. I searched for a site for them (they are computer addicts more than anything else) and came across conceptis. It was the English version and my kids didn't like the idea of having to use a foriegn language while trying to have fun, so they searched for themselves. The first site they found was this one, they both registered and started solving griddlers only a few days later they remembered to tell me about it and the rest is history emoticon

I started as a computer programmer and became software manager and worked for several companies (telcom and datacom) during about 20 years, always in the teal-time world. I've been unemployed for a bit over a year now. I'm about to start a new job soon, Hopefully I will still have time to visit this site.

Answer
01/04/05 22:58 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I don't have a job, (8th grade) but I get really good math and science grades. (My highest math grade this year was 109%) When I do eventually get a job, I want to be either a math teacher or a english teacher. emoticon

Answer
11/11/05 01:31 as a reply to chefmomster2.
video games 23/7

Answer
25/12/06 01:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Recently, I've become a teacher of English. Apart from that I'm studying English (I have a BA, now heading towards MA emoticon). Any bit of logic thinking I possess comes from the fact my dad taught me to play chess when I was a kid and for some ten years I've been playing and training it a lot. But my passion are foreign languages: I love learning them (and spending almost all of my time with Haruna who has the same passion doesn't help :winkemoticon

Answer
25/12/06 13:24 as a reply to chefmomster2.
well, first time i got to read this post,
it is great to put some personality behind "famous" members in this community.
so here is me :
i'm currently on my second year to a b.sc. in physics.
my two biggest passions are music and math (mostly practical math such as griddlers making or solving)
i've been playing the drums since i was 12 and recently took a year study in producing music on my PC.
(i guess if someone would make an arrangment and people would send me recorded tracks i could mix them into a griddler anthem...).
i have been doing griddlers for many years but just a couple of years ago my brother showed me this site and i'm hooked ever since !!!

Love this site!!!
Nadav

Answer
26/12/06 17:41 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I am a retired state employee. I have a degree in accounting with a minor in computer science. I am so logical I have no artistic talent whatsoever. That is why I'm only a solver and never a creator. But I am just totally amazed by the talent of all the creators on this site and love solving the puzzles to see the beautiful pictures. Thanks go to all the creators.

Tj

Answer
02/02/07 22:20 as a reply to chefmomster2.
i work in an office at a plasterboead and fibre cement distributor. Fun stuff.

Answer
03/02/07 12:38 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I work in an office for a Building, Maintenance and Refurbishment company. I have a lot of spare time on my hands at work so i surf the net a lot hence the reason I came across Griddlers and they introduced me to my favourite puzzle Triddlers. As I have a lot of spare time this is where I do 99% of my puzzling.

Answer
02/07/07 18:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm a school student.
I havent even started GCSE level yet.
So as you can imagine, the time I'm not doing my homework I like to do some Griddlers.
Keeps my intelligence up. I can feel it rotting away during such lessons as P.E. and when I'm at home watching T.V.

Answer
15/11/07 19:49 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I work in in warehouse or store. I work part time.
I like music and my favourite band is u2
when i,m not solving griddlers I like to play guitar and one a week I spend a few hours to build guitars.

Hawkmoon

Answer
15/11/07 21:26 as a reply to chefmomster2.
As I already told in another topic, I work for a municipal and deal with request from invalide people for wheelchairs and things like that. But I don't know an english word for it.

RE: Re: Curiouser and Curiouser!
Answer
12/03/12 11:20 as a reply to punkinuk.
I'm a bored student who fiddle with composing music.

RE: Curiouser and Curiouser!
Answer
10/08/13 20:36 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Hi,

I'm a college student and I just got into university in economics. I have been using Griddlers for so long I can't even remember. It helps me relax and just give my brain something to do.emoticon

Susana, Portugal Lisbon

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.