Re: User Names twinmom 11/02/04 13:33
Re: User Names Tio 11/02/04 14:32
Re: User Names Cthulhu 11/02/04 15:21
Re: User Names zandy 11/02/04 15:27
Thread Split griddlers_team 24/02/12 08:08
User Names
Answer
02/02/04 20:19
OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?

As for me, my kids consider me a good cook, so they developed the moniker. They also like the idea of calling their own dear mother something that sounds a lot like monster! D The 2 is just a lagging reminder of my former days with AOL. Can you believe that I couldn't be just plain Chefmomster or Chefmomster1 as they were already taken?

What is your story?
Chefmomster2

Re: User Names
Answer
03/02/04 18:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?
>
>As for me, my kids consider me a good cook, so they developed the moniker. They also like the idea of calling their own dear mother something that sounds a lot like monster! D The 2 is just a lagging reminder of my former days with AOL. Can you believe that I couldn't be just plain Chefmomster or Chefmomster1 as they were already taken?
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Easy.....I'm from Sandy Eggo so came up with the name of Sandyeggan (San Diegan).

Answer
03/02/04 21:12 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Sure I'll share!

My given name is Tally, and I love animals. When I tried to think of an animal name to use, I couldn't decide which I liked the best, so I just added animal to my name, to recognise all living creatures. (accept cockroachs. As I said, I love all animals, therefore I decided that cockroachs are not real animals.)

Also my middle name is Haya, which means alive in hebrew, but also means animal. So, another good reason.

I hope more people will let us know how they decided on their nicks

Talanimal
(I thought it sounds better then Tallyanimal)

Answer
03/02/04 22:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Here comes cruinne's story -)

Well... I spent some time in Ireland when I was younger, and I *really* got to love that country, so similar to my Galicia.

So I use "cruinne", which is "world" or "universe" in Gaeilge (Irish) as a sort of reminder of my good times there by the shores of the river Shannon.

Just that -)

Cruinne.

Answer
04/02/04 11:54 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'd like to say that there is some great story behind my handle but it is actually kind of silly. Eli is my nickname and my son (four years old at the time) suggested apple because I happened to be eating one at the time. It was easy to type so the name stuck. Guess I should be glad I wasn't eating a bratwurst!

Eli

Answer
04/02/04 13:59 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I'd like to say that there is some great story behind my handle but it is actually kind of silly. Eli is my nickname and my son (four years old at the time) suggested apple because I happened to be eating one at the time. It was easy to type so the name stuck. Guess I should be glad I wasn't eating a bratwurst!
>
>Eli

elibratwurst, hmm...
I'm simply Jan Dvo?�k and JanDvorak is already taken everywhere, so I am JannDvorakk. I just don't know why people think I'm a girl.

Answer
04/02/04 16:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I love these little stories!! Mine isn't a story, it's just the name of my favourite band Dream Theater. I don't think many of you will have ever heard of a band called Dream Theater unless you are a fan of hardrock/heavy metal.

Maarten

Answer
04/02/04 19:15 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I love these little stories!! Mine isn't a story, it's just the name of my favourite band Dream Theater. I don't think many of you will have ever heard of a band called Dream Theater unless you are a fan of hardrock/heavy metal.
>
>Maarten

I really can't add anything to this forum topic because as you guessed my mother gave that name -------- years ago. I have no imagination. But I'm really having fun reading everybody elses stories. Thanks Chef for bringing up the topic.

Answer
04/02/04 22:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>What is your story?
>>Chefmomster2

My middle name is Maria and my last name is in english "Stonebush".( It's in finnish Kivipensas.) I don't like bush so much and I took only the stone. I think that Maria is quite lame name and so I cut it shorter.( Mari is common name in Finland too.)
Maristone

Answer
05/02/04 00:52 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>I'm simply Jan Dvo?�k and JanDvorak is already taken everywhere, so I am JannDvorakk. I just don't know why people think I'm a girl.

Jan,

I don't know about other English-speaking countries, but here in the USA, Jan is a fairly common nickname for girls- short for Janice, Janelle, or Janet. Jan is rarely used for a guy here. Maybe that explains the mix-up! )

Chef

Answer
05/02/04 01:59 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>What is your story?

Oddly enough, "Llyra" is my name. ) (it's not the name I was born with, however; I had it legally changed recently)

Answer
05/02/04 05:47 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>Jan,
>
>I don't know about other English-speaking countries, but here in the USA, Jan is a fairly common nickname for girls- short for Janice, Janelle, or Janet. Jan is rarely used for a guy here. Maybe that explains the mix-up! )
>
>Chef

Seems I should live with it, because JannDvorakkTheBoy is too long.

Answer
05/02/04 06:50 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My first name is Rastislav, in short form it is Rasto. In Slovak the number 100 we spell 'sto' . So Ra100 you can read Rasto.

There is also user Ra200 - Question for him Why ?

Bye Ra100

Answer
05/02/04 17:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Thanks to everyone for your stories! They're terrific! I really hope that more people let us know the origins of their names.

Chef

Answer
05/02/04 20:43 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>My first name is Rastislav, in short form it is Rasto. In Slovak the number 100 we spell 'sto' . So Ra100 you can read Rasto.
>
>There is also user Ra200 - Question for him Why ?
>
>Bye Ra100

You probably have a fan )

Jan, I always thought you were a guy. If it had been one n, I think I'd have thought you were a girl tho. If it makes you feel better, the "lizard" part of my name makes people think I'm a guy all the time.

My name is pretty simple. Lizard is a nickname most girls named Elizabeth get at some point (lizard breath). I decided I could get angry on a daily basis about it, or embrace it. I took it on as my personal symbol.

When I first got online, freshman year of college, a friend set me up to use a BBS, and I had to think of a name quickly. I chose magenta lizard, because at the time I was into the movie/experience The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and there is a character named Magenta. Maglizrd is a shortened version of Magenta Lizard, fitting the old standard of 8 letters for a name. I've been using one version or the other of the name pretty much constantly since.

Answer
05/02/04 21:21 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>
>Seems I should live with it, because JannDvorakkTheBoy is too long.

Jan,

For a while in elementary school, there was a girl Leor in the same class as my son Leor. We did say Leor the boy and Leor the girl. ^)

My first name is Pat (well really it is Patricia but Pat fits me better than Patricia or a Patty or whatever so I use Pat). Pat was taken on another site so like you I just doubled up the last letter to get patt.

I work in a mostly male field and "Pat" gives no clue of the gender of its owner so from time to time people who only know me from email reflectors use pronouns assuming I am male. It usually results in the poor person getting stomped on with corrections from people in the know and feeling embarrassed, but I try to treat them gently as it is an understandable mistake.

Answer
05/02/04 22:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
qwerty = too lazy to type a real name so I use qwerty whenever possible. Whenever qwerty is already taken I add 42 = the answer to life the universe and everything.

So qwerty42 = the lazy answer to life the universe and everything -)

Answer
06/02/04 03:30 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My cyber birth occured at the early nineties. Back then only few were permitted to use the internet governmental offices, educational and medical institutions, etc. That's how it was in my country (Israel) +/- 15 years ago. It was a special event for me. I regarded it gravely. Choosing my first cyber name was taken by me as solemnly as getting the gate to the outer world.

DayStar was my first handle.
DayStar is a real star. It rises at dawn, glimmers - only few minutes of twinkling - and ebbs into the day. My presence in the web seemed DayStarish to me here I am, a small star, one of zillions stars in the endless skies.

One day I decided that time had come to change my name. The web granted me with sites and insights. It also increased my appetite for more More info. More entertainment. More knowledge...

MorSight was born.
"You have a typo!" you might say. "More should be written with E."
Aha! I forgot to mention an important ingredient the web has Fun. What fun would it be if I am a plain MoreSight?

A major change took place in the late nineties. The internet became work for me. All of a sudden I had to get into places - sites, ftp and email accounts, tamplates - names, passwords... I couldn't remember who I was in what place.

A second before having a drain bamage I decided to have ONE name to ALL accounts hagitm.
Hagit is my real name. M is the first letter of my family name.

Hagit Maor

P.S. A couple of month ago a NightSun participated in one of the Chat Meetings. S/he didn't stay for long. When I realized that the handle was my opposite reflection Day vs Night - Star vs Sun, s/he fled away. NightSun, would you please tell me who you are?

Answer
06/02/04 17:01 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I met my partner, he and some friends were playing an online game and kept talking about it over and over... Since I had no clue what they were talking about I thought it would be a nice thing to play that game...
(I also learned "klaverjassen" (cardgame), "risk" and other games...)
I had to come up with a so called "mage name" to play and to be on message boards, guilds and chats...
After to seconds of looking around, thinking of a name, my boss asked me about the EAN-code for bread (or something).
After giving him the number, I thought I'd go with EAN as name.
After 5 years, I am still using it!

Oh, and EAN means European Article Number ;)

ps. I still play the game, after a long period of server shut down, a very, very good copy of it opened at www.the-reincarnation.com
If you'd like, come join the game called Archmage, I can tell you all about it, it has nothing to do with PBN! Mostly men are playing it, it is kinda a war game with alot of magic and stuff.

Regards,
EAN

Answer
06/02/04 17:16 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Well (sigh) I feel I must contribute not matter how embarassing.

Back in university my school friend and I also worked at the same place. We were issued uniforms. My pants were too tight. So my friend gave me the nickname "wiggles" because of the way I walked in them. Gotta love friends. The nickname also kinda goes with my last name (Wegman).

The usage filtered out after I left university but 10+ years later I happened to come upon this web site. I had to make up a nickname. I didn't want to use my own, so I used my old nickname. After all, I thought, I'm not going to come here THAT often -- what do I care?

Now that I have pre-schoolers I also see that it's the name of a (very young) kids rock band from Australia. I do love the Wiggles. They've got catchy tunes (Mooo-oooove like a emu moves da duh na na da duh na na) and get the kids to get up and move rather to just sit and watch TV. I am proud to share my name with them. We saw them on their world tour and...but I digress...

That's my story.

Heidi

Answer
06/02/04 17:39 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I have just finished a degree at KEELE university near Stoke-on-Trent, England, but I originally hail from (and support the football team) GILLingham in Kent, England.

Answer
06/02/04 20:17 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>>
>>Jan,
>>
>>I don't know about other English-speaking countries, but here in the USA, Jan is a fairly common nickname for girls- short for Janice, Janelle, or Janet. Jan is rarely used for a guy here. Maybe that explains the mix-up! )
>>
>>Chef
>
>Seems I should live with it, because JannDvorakkTheBoy is too long.

Janndvorak
You could have used jannDboy have a nice ring to it, don't you think? ;-)

Answer
06/02/04 21:36 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Zebadee - a character from "the magic roundabout". I don't know why i called myself that, don't even remember ever watching the magic roundabout, although i think i must of done when i was younger. I think he's a spring or something ???

Zebadee

Answer
06/02/04 22:17 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>OK, I must admit it! I am intensely curious about some of the user names I see here each time I log in. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get your name?
>
>As for me, my kids consider me a good cook, so they developed the moniker. They also like the idea of calling their own dear mother something that sounds a lot like monster! D The 2 is just a lagging reminder of my former days with AOL. Can you believe that I couldn't be just plain Chefmomster or Chefmomster1 as they were already taken?
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

OK here is my story.

Puzzle in Dutch means puzzel. That is about the first part.
The second part is something Hagit asked about a while ago, it is used in my country if something is smaller. So my username means something like - little puzzle -

Answer
07/02/04 01:23 as a reply to chefmomster2.
My user name comes from, surpise, surpise my cat's name. I have a habit of naming my pets really original names like fishey and puppy so when I got my first kitten I name her ... Kitten. But about that time there was a song by the Pretenders that had the lines "Little robbers are in my hair, little robbers are everywhere" and it seemed to describe her perfectly. Since she was already Kitten I kept singing in my head "Kitten Littles are in my hair. Kitten Littles are everywhere." Her official name became Kitten Little. As most know AOL only allowed 8 letters so I became Kitlittle. My beloved cat has been dead for many years but I keep the name in honor of her.

Patricia
Just as a side note.. I was Patty in school, Tricia when I moved away, and Pat in my business life. You can actually tell how people know me by what they call me!

Answer
07/02/04 02:45 as a reply to chefmomster2.
by the way, your nick always reminds me of cruithne, earth's second moon.

(it's a faraway rock that somehow orbits us in a strange way, but they say it fits into the title "moon"..)

>
>Here comes cruinne's story -)
>
>Well... I spent some time in Ireland when I was younger, and I *really* got to love that country, so similar to my Galicia.
>
>So I use "cruinne", which is "world" or "universe" in Gaeilge (Irish) as a sort of reminder of my good times there by the shores of the river Shannon.
>
>Just that -)
>
>
>Cruinne.

Answer
07/02/04 02:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.
ah, no levels here? oh well.

anyway, i started off as simply "^Galia" on DALnet. actually, I started with HTML chats and ICQ, but i was always Galia - which is my first name. I couldn't find a nickname i'd be happy with, and would "represent" me.
then, one day we had a really bizarre chat where we wrote everything backwards.
at the days i had a slow modem with a bad line while others had better lines or even fast internet. so when my name / nick became "I lag" when written backwards, i found it pretty amusing.

I stayed galia on dalnet, i sometimes switched to ailag though. and i started registering new nicks as ailag, since it was nicer, and it wasn't taken by other galia's )

so here i am.

within time, people also tried talking backwards to me (on chats and forums) so my ability to write backwards has really improved.
.won yltneulf sdrawkcab etirw nac i

>
>
>What is your story?
>Chefmomster2

Answer
07/02/04 17:02 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Janndvorak
>You could have used jannDboy have a nice ring to it, don't you think? ;-)
Or honnza?

Answer
07/02/04 17:09 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>.won yltneulf sdrawkcab etirw nac i

?ti si ,stxet drawkcab daer ot ysae ton s'ti tub

Answer
08/02/04 14:05 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I'm an avid reader and decided to use a character name. My first choice was taken so decided on Acorna. Couldn't decide how to say it, so added the 'i' to make it something I could pronounce. If you do a search using acornia, will find this spelling got used. Think it's why in one of the later books, we got a phonetic spelling on how to say Acorna. And the slosuzy one is a childhood nickname as am slow to start but once I get going, look out. These are two handles that I use when on line. Acornia is usually for chats, and slosuzy for game playing. Not quite awake or wouldn't have given both. lol

Answer
08/02/04 21:09 as a reply to chefmomster2.
This is really a cool idea - the nicks stop being only a couple of letters but real people... -)

Anyway, the story of my nick is not very interesting. My real name is Dominika, and everybody at home (and some of my friends, too) call me Nika. My boyfriend didn't know at first how to call me, so he started to call me Domi. Since then I use this nick on internet. I soon realized that this nick is used by too many people, so I added 77 to it. (It's not my age ;-) but the year of my birth.) And that's it!

Dominika

Answer
09/02/04 00:25 as a reply to chefmomster2.

I had worked at a chinese restaurant before working at another restaurant later on. .Because of this my bosses dad started to call me china. My boss said that I didn't need to answer to that name. But I told him that I liked it. When asked if we would like to go by our real name or nickname at a new place ,I think about going by china but I use my given name instead. Tami, spelled differently because my mom wanted it to be different, named after the song
tammy's in love.

Answer
09/02/04 01:10 as a reply to chefmomster2.
I've used my Nickname for quite some years now. Earlier on I allways had the word penguin in my name. But since penguins are such adorable creatures everybody wants to be associated with them. So it usually took me hours to get my usernames accapted at the different forums. So i dicided to change it.

I was reading "silmarillion" by tolkien at the time. So i chose a caracter from there. And the only name that is seldom used. was the name of the evil god Melkor. Even though its before he turned evil. (There are plenty who uses his evil name, wonder why). Neverthe less. its now seldom that I can't keep my nick.

Tim

Answer
09/02/04 07:35 as a reply to chefmomster2.
As with Barbara, I don't have much imagination. My name is Ronald E. Smith and RESmith types so very easily, maybe easier than Qwerty.

I did enjoy reading the stories. Now I have some picture of the people behind the name when I see Wiggles and Talanimal and Chefmomster. Thanks for sharing

Answer
09/02/04 13:53 as a reply to chefmomster2.

My name is obvious, a color - a mixture of blue and green. I'm a diver and some years ago me and my husband wanted to register a scuba related site and i like this color very much, so we chose this name. it is also the name of a stone which is known as Turkish stone, well, suits me. Same word exists in turkish but the spelling is different (turkuaz). If you come across a Turquoise in a serious discussion on underwater photography, digital cameras, etc. it is not me, my husband -)

Zeynep

Answer
11/02/04 00:32 as a reply to chefmomster2.

Well I have sugar Gliders, they are my kids, one of them is Jynx, therefore i am JynxsMom!! their website is www.members.shaw.ca/jynxsmail if anyone would like to see what they are )

Answer
11/02/04 07:31 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Interesting thread!

Just a comment or 2, RESmith, I thought it was because you were an expert using RESEdit, and hagitm already knows this from a chat session but, I really thought she was a man for some reason. As for my name...gemfire is the name of my favorite game for the original 8-bit Nintendo system. Haven't played it in years but at the time I first needed a user name for the www, I was addicted to it. So, I've been using it ever since.

Answer
11/02/04 12:32 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>Interesting thread!
>
>As for my name...gemfire is the name of my favorite game for the original 8-bit Nintendo system.

If that's the game I remember I used to love it!

Eli

Answer
11/02/04 13:33 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Mine isn't all that original. I'm a mother of twins! I've tried to use this screen name for years but it's NEVER available. Imagine my surprise to find a site where it wasn't already in use! Normally, I end up with some version of my name, since it isn't all that common.

Alisa

Answer
11/02/04 14:32 as a reply to chefmomster2.
When I first needed a nickname I was loggin on to some chat with my friend Mie=Mio and so I decided that Trine (my name)=Tio. Simple as that

Answer
11/02/04 15:21 as a reply to chefmomster2.
Oh my... This a long and crazy story. Well, here goes.

First of all it will probably make things easier to understand if I say I'm a roleplayer. And so are a lot of my friends. And yes, roleplayers are sometimes (quite often) really weird. (oh, and listen to a lot of rock and metal, yes I do indeed know DreamTheater.)

H. P. Lovecraft wrote "The Call of Cthulhu". Cthulhu is a sort of squid-headed man, hard to describe or explain. But it's got tentacles. Lots of them. Hold on to that.

Right, so I was hanging out at a major roleplaying festival, or fair, or whatever you call something where people meet up, have fun with their hobby, buy stuff, give awards, etc. I was actually a member of the Info-crew, but somehow the guys from the cleaning-squad had managed to persuade the Info, that they could rent me for a day... No, not what you think, but believe me, the jokes wouldn't take an end!

This cleaning-squad, bearing the name of DirtBusters, is a bunch of, ah, well, can't say too much, I'll bet you their commander is going to read this! They do a lot of things involving brooms and mops, and black plastic bags, and a lot of green bottles and loud metal... And they have funny hairstyles. Which is the important part.

Someone had the brilliant idea, that I should have spikes. Let me put it like this, I'm not even 1.60 m myself, and my hair would add another meter in the height... If things had worked the way they wanted, I guess it would have been a very amusing sight, and very annoying for me to try to get through doors! But it didn't work, mostly because they got to bored holding a meter of gelatine-soaked locks of hair. So they just let the strands hang. And then they dried up.

You can't even imagine... It was like having sticks hanging down your back, sticks tied to your hair always pulling where it hurt the most. But most of all, the "sticks" weren't totally stiff, they were rubberish and could bend slightly, and were all in all rather much like tentacles.

They had had real trouble finding a nickname for me (they all have one), and had used 'Rental' till then. But of course my lovely tentacles now earned me the name of 'Cthulhu'.

Guess I should add, that I really like these guys, and so I've come to cherish the name they gave me. And if any of you ever got to read the web cartoon called "Hello Cthulhu" (before some %&"#�& crashed their site), you would know that Cthulhu isn't an entirely bad monster.

Sigrid

By the way, slosuzy, Ancorna was my nick for some years...

Answer
11/02/04 15:27 as a reply to chefmomster2.
>When I first needed a nickname I was loggin on to some chat with my friend Mie=Mio and so I decided that Trine (my name)=Tio. Simple as that

Mio is the name of a male character in a book we have here in Sweden (by the same woman that wrote Pippi Longstockings). Tio is the Swedish word for ten. )

>I'm simply Jan Dvo?�k and JanDvorak is already taken everywhere, so I am JannDvorakk. I just don't know why people think I'm a girl.

I assumed male, because for me "Jan" is a male name, and with the Dvorak I assumed you weren't English, where I know that Jan is female (often). Jan is, and most often will be, male. )

I got my nickname when I was posting in a newsgroup for fans of David Eddings. A lot of people chose a nickname based upon the characters in his various books. I did the same. I went for Zandramas which is long and tedious to write, so it became Zandy. Sometimes I used different forms of that name. If Zandy already was taken, Zandramas is often free. Which is handy. I guess not that many want to be a raving looney that kidnaps children and tries to take over the world.. Or something along those lines..

I've had several handles. All has had some strange connection to me, or just been random hacking on the keyboard... A few of those are
* Talia (changed form of our phonecompany which is called Telia, later I found out this was a common abbreviation of Natalie).
* Alva (The Swedish word for fairy is �lva. � doesn't often work, so I removed the dots. Later I realised that it is a common Swedish female name, and also an American surname, as lots of people started asking me if I was a skateboard fan and liked Tony Alva).
* Shiar - Male roleplaying character.
* Norwin - Male roleplaying character.
* Aleia - Female roleplaying character.
* Irinda/Urinda - name that I use in hack'n'slash MUDs.
* Loreli - no idea where this came from. Eagle-Eye Cherry released a song called "When Mermaids Cry" which features a Lorelei. In Gilmore Girls there's two (three) Lorelai. But I think I'm alone with this spelling of it, more or less. I use this as e-mail adress at some places. And it's also my "Community" name for those pesky communities you have to be a member on to be able to "talk" to your younger sisters that spend all their time there.. *grins*

/Zandy - known by many names.

Thread Split
Answer
24/02/12 08:08 as a reply to chefmomster2.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.