Vista combinada Visión Plana Vista de árbol
Threads [ Anterior | Siguiente ]
toggle
iGrid Applet
Respuesta
8/01/07 22:41
All:

This is just way too useful and fun. Earlier today I *finally* finished "Fantasy Aphabet: Z" and I can now learn that it took me seven months and nearly twice the mean time emoticon !
My recent project has been to finish all of the multis I had started before I took on anything new. I'd hunted through the "only solved" lists and really thought I had most of them...but... :shock: I have a LOT more to do.
Many, many thanks to the Griddlers team for putting this together.

Sean

Re: iGrid Applet
Respuesta
9/01/07 1:35 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I've already sent in my subscription money as well, and am finding the new tool useful. If I may, I have a feature request I'd like to see pertaining to multi's. I'd like to see a stat column for "Completion Mid Time", which would basically be the total mid time of all pieces minus the times for the ones I've completed. That way if I sorted by this column, I'd have an ordered list of which puzzles would be quickest to complete. For example, if a puzzle had 4 parts with mid times of 1:30, 3:30, 5:00, 10:00, it'd have a total time of 20:00. But if I've already done the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th parts, I'd be able to see I've only got 1:30 left in that multi (and thus could get it off my TODO list easier).

Thanks for all the features though. It's nice to have printing as well. This way I don't need to buy a book of puzzles, half of which I may have already solved online. I can just go through and find ones to print on my own.

Respuesta
9/01/07 3:25 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I'm excited by the new look and features.

Just a little disappointed that I can't sort multi's by individual points - only by total multi points.

I'll put that in the suggestion box.

Good job, though.

Respuesta
9/01/07 5:29 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I've just tried out the new iGridd applet and I must say that I'm very impressed by the new features. I especially like the 3 drawing modes (free/line/area) (no more ALT key - yeah ), the locked clues (no more of the constant scrolling) and the Square Counter (no more smudging my monitor with my finger as I try to count squares).

My one major complaint is the colour on the blank grid. There just isn't enough contrast between this shade of grey and the colour white (which is a common background colour). I also found that when solving a puzzle with grey in it (even when there was enough contrast), it was very difficult to figure out if a grey cell belonged to the blank grid or was part of the puzzle. A possible solution might be to add some "texture" to the blank grid - perhaps using the "?" which is currently used or a dot in the middle of an empty cell.

Another small complaint is the use of X and O. As in the current applet, I can add an X or O to a cell, but I cannot remove them (unless I use CTRL-Z which is not very practical after I've made other moves that I do not wish to undo). The same happens when I place an X or O on a clue.

Other than this, I just love all the new features of this new applet and I hope to be subscribing to it soon.

Great job!
emoticon emoticon

Respuesta
9/01/07 5:33 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I have been playing with new applet and like what I see so far. My only problem is my saved puzzles are not saved in the new applet. Is there anyway to solve this?

Respuesta
9/01/07 6:22 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Hi

because new applet has some new features, for instance different markers, the data format is not compatible with old applet. Now I am working on one way convertor of saved puzzles which will be finished soon.

Bye Ra100

Respuesta
9/01/07 8:16 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Thank you very much Ra emoticon This site is the greatest.

Respuesta
9/01/07 11:47 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
[quote="elayne"]My one major complaint is the colour on the blank grid. There just isn't enough contrast between this shade of grey and the colour white (which is a common background colour).

Another small complaint is the use of X and O. As in the current applet, I can add an X or O to a cell, but I cannot remove them (unless I use CTRL-Z which is not very practical after I've made other moves that I do not wish to undo). The same happens when I place an X or O on a clue.

Hi Elayne! Thanks for the nice comments.

When you enter the iGridd applet there is a homepage on the right. It has two buttons on it. The one on the right is "Learn How to Use It". In that section you'll find the answers you need and more!

Read under Help: Solving Window: Griddlers and you'll find this. emoticon

Solving Area Color:
If you want to change the color of the solving area - Double Click on the number [ 0 ] in the Palette Panel.
The system sets this color to be your preference for all the puzzles. Use the Reset Colors (under the View menu) to go back to the system's default color.

The info you need about X's and O's and the new option for using both at one time is covered in Section 3: The Puzzle Area.

Hope this helps!

Chef emoticon

Respuesta
10/01/07 1:26 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I love the new applet and I am exploring the new features.

Can I still play with the old applet? I have saved puzzles and I don't want to wait until the 20th.

Keep up the good work.

Corinna

Respuesta
10/01/07 1:42 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Sure you can! The old applet is not going away. emoticon It will be there and continue to be free, although no major upgrades will be made to it and the number of puzzles you can save there will be gradually reduced to 2.

Feel free to solve those puzzles!

Chef

Respuesta
10/01/07 4:13 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
I've been having a LOT of fun with this tool of my dreams. What I really like is being able to "lock" the clues in as I solve thus alleviating a lot of motion sickness.

Yeah, there is a however. My eyesight continues to deteriorate and I usually magnify the puzzle a couple of times -- hey, this is why I've been able to solve all the small ones.

With the new applet, when I lock the clues in I can not get the "Magnifying Clues Reader" (the marginal representation of the clues for horizontal and vertical). Sure, the clues are there on the field amongst all the other clues but I have a hard time differentiating between lines & columns even with the enhanced highlighting.

When solving I double check the cursor placement then consult the MCR line (often times with my nose against the screen) because that is what I can easily see. I was thinking about ways to put griddlers together with either tonal or tactile clues but realized that madness may ensue.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or if using both MCR and Clue Lock is not supported.

I'm having fun nonetheless!

Best,
Sean

Respuesta
10/01/07 12:25 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Congratulations to all involved with the new applet. Like many others, I always considered making a donation as the site gives me a lot of pleasure, but never got round to it.

As another 'oldie' with fading eyesight, I reinforce everything that Sean says. I would dearly like to use MCR and Clue Lock simultaneously.

Sieska

Respuesta
11/01/07 22:11 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Thank you: now I realise why I can't see the MCR - I didn't pick up from the Help and How to Use etc that MCR and Locked Clues were an either ... or. I didn't see anything that indicated I couldn't have both!

Respuesta
14/01/07 11:39 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
[quote="Sieska"]As another 'oldie' with fading eyesight, I reinforce everything that Sean says. I would dearly like to use MCR and Clue Lock simultaneously.
Sieska

Now you have it! The Locked Clues options has MCR. The MCR is selective - you can choose to show or to hide it.
Enjoy! :-)
Hagit

Respuesta
15/01/07 5:53 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
[quote="hagitm"][quote="Sieska"]As another 'oldie' with fading eyesight, I reinforce everything that Sean says. I would dearly like to use MCR and Clue Lock simultaneously.
Sieska

Now you have it! The Locked Clues options has MCR. The MCR is selective - you can choose to show or to hide it.
Hagit

My eyeballs thank you. This hasn't miraculously changed me into a master solver but at least now I can see when I'm being foolish.

Respuesta
15/01/07 19:24 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
[quote="hagitm"][quote="Sieska"]As another 'oldie' with fading eyesight, I reinforce everything that Sean says. I would dearly like to use MCR and Clue Lock simultaneously.
Sieska

Hagit

When I open the new applet from inside of a browser I can use MCR with Clue Lock. However when I use webstart this change does not seem to be working. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling webstart with no luck. Is there a way to update the applet in webstart?
Naomi

Respuesta
15/01/07 19:30 en respuesta a FredTheYounger.
Please wait a couple of hours while I make a new version of WebStart. There will some more additions as well.

Moderadores del foro: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.