Vista combinada Visión Plana Vista de árbol
Threads [ Anterior | Siguiente ]
toggle
New Applets
Respuesta
9/01/07 11:23
I have been checking out the new Applets - and love the new features.

I have been finding one problem. It seems to be running very slowly.

When I am trying to solve a puzzle sometimes I need to click in a square 4 or 5 times before the colour will appear. Is there some way that I can correct this?

I have noticed the speed when I am selecting puzzles as well. When I click to show only solved puzzles, it can take several attempts before the dropdown list activates. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: New Applets
Respuesta
9/01/07 12:05 en respuesta a bjwalke.
Hi

new applet uses Java technology and its performance depends on Java and overall system configuration. Maybe you just don't have enough memory, applet loads a lot of things into memory, for instance puzzle list and Java likes to eat it too.

You can try to use new version of Java - 6, e.g. JRE 1.6 . It is downloadable form site http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp , download button in section : Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 .

Respuesta
9/01/07 21:26 en respuesta a bjwalke.
Hi!
I have another question!
I have the pleasure to play with the new IGridd applet, but i have something I can't understand.
You say in the IGridd Applet - FAQ that we can see (and play?), in the new applet, the puzzles we saved in the old applet. I know I have several puzzle I have not finished and which are saved in the old applet.. But where seeing my "old" saved puzzle in the new applet?
Thanks for your help I hope it is not a stupid question. I'm really stress to know that I can lost my "work" at the 20th...
Thanks! You make a really good job, i'm very very happy to be a suscriber, i love your site for years and don't want you to stop your work!

Respuesta
9/01/07 21:45 en respuesta a bjwalke.
Hi djaya,

Puzzles you saved in the old applet will be available as saved puzzles in the iGridd Applet on January 20th. Meaning, you cannot find your saved puzzles yet, but after the 20th you will be able to see them in the new applet. There is no danger of loosing them on this date in any way, no need to worry.

Jelga

Respuesta
9/01/07 22:18 en respuesta a bjwalke.
Oh, thanks a lot for your fast reply! I'm really happy to see I have not to be worry at the time!

Ok, so, I can say there is a problem with the translation in French!! emoticon
There is what I can see in the FAQ => Les puzzles que vous sauvegardez depuis l'ancienne Applet sont disponibles dans l'Applet iGridd jusqu'au 20 janvier.

You can do the translation, you will understand the mistake! So you should correct this if you don't want your french players dead due to heart failure ahah emoticon
Seriously, I was very surprised you give a such little deadline to recover our saved puzzle...

Thanks for your answer, I will wait the 20th with impatience! emoticon

Respuesta
10/01/07 7:32 en respuesta a bjwalke.
The new version of Java seems to have worked. I'll give it a good test tonight.

Thanks

Respuesta
10/01/07 12:33 en respuesta a bjwalke.
I've been trying the new applet and I've come across two issues.
1) I created 7 saved lists two days ago. Today, only the first list is working. When I click on any other list, nothing happens. I wait several seconds for the list to appear, but nothing. I can easily choose a section under Griddlers and the list changes, and go back to my first saved list, but none of the other saved lists are working.
2) My saved list that is working does not save the sort order. If I choose my filters then sort the list before saving it, the filters, of course, are there when I return to the list, but not the sort order.

Respuesta
10/01/07 15:12 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="puny1"]I've been trying the new applet and I've come across two issues.
1) I created 7 saved lists two days ago. Today, only the first list is working. When I click on any other list, nothing happens. I wait several seconds for the list to appear, but nothing. I can easily choose a section under Griddlers and the list changes, and go back to my first saved list, but none of the other saved lists are working.
2) My saved list that is working does not save the sort order. If I choose my filters then sort the list before saving it, the filters, of course, are there when I return to the list, but not the sort order.
Puny,
I checked your Saved Lists. All are stored correctly. Try to use WebStart - the new feature we launched a few moments ago. It may solve the problem.
Hagit

Respuesta
11/01/07 0:36 en respuesta a bjwalke.
I tried the Webstart and it didn't fix my saved lists problems. So, I deleted all the lists and rebuilt a few. They seem to be working alright so far. I'll let you know if they break again.

Thanks

Respuesta
11/01/07 9:24 en respuesta a bjwalke.
I have tried the new Java install, and the new webstart. I am still having problems with it intermittantly running slowly.

My computer is a few years old, but has a 64 bit processor and 1GB RAM so it should run everything OK.

Any other ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks

Respuesta
11/01/07 10:24 en respuesta a bjwalke.
Loving the idea of the applet - I've subscribed already. emoticon
:dontknow: My only problem is visual - is it my screen or am I missing a setting. I find it very hard to distinguish between a 5 and a 6. Also the grid is considerably smaller than the "old" applet. Are there settings that I can change???

Respuesta
11/01/07 19:14 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="Buggins"]Loving the idea of the applet - I've subscribed already. emoticon
:dontknow: My only problem is visual - is it my screen or am I missing a setting. I find it very hard to distinguish between a 5 and a 6. Also the grid is considerably smaller than the "old" applet. Are there settings that I can change???
Hi Buggins,

I think the basic grid is one size smaller then it is in the old applet. But you can resize it both ways by clicking on the magnifying glasses at the top. It might take a second or two before the effect shows up, so don't click too much at one time.
Something else might help as well: The top bar with the pause button etc (which does use more space then you were used to) can be moved. You can make it a floating box or move it to one of the sides. This might help you to see a couple more clues at the top.

I've always had troubles with 5's and 6's in the old applet, to me the numbers are better now. But there is a strange phenomena: at one point some numbers improve if you make the puzzle one step smaller. Also changing the colors helps a lot, if the clues have been made too small.

I hope this helps!

Jelga

Respuesta
11/01/07 19:31 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="bjwalke"]I have tried the new Java install, and the new webstart. I am still having problems with it intermittantly running slowly.

My computer is a few years old, but has a 64 bit processor and 1GB RAM so it should run everything OK.

Any other ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks
My computer is quite old (close to antique according to some opinions) and I notice the lack of memory a lot with the new applet. Everytime some other program 'did' something, it interfered with the puzzle. So I started checking what the other processes were running at the same time. Like Word, it makes a backup of your document every 5 minutes and that's what slows the applet down. Now I just make sure I close all other programs before I open the applet. Also, Mozilla seems to use much more memory then IE, so I started to use IE again when I want to visit Griddlers. Not having to open any browser at all with Webstart is a nice improvement!

Another nuisance turned out to be my virus-scanner, that checked for updates way too often. Now it only does that when I start it.

So my advice is to close all other programs and just enjoy Griddlers!

Jelga

Respuesta
11/01/07 23:16 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="Buggins"]Loving the idea of the applet - I've subscribed already. emoticon
:dontknow: My only problem is visual - is it my screen or am I missing a setting. I find it very hard to distinguish between a 5 and a 6.

I thought it was just me and my poor eyesight! Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty, but glad I'm not alone.

I have trouble distinguishing the 5 & 6 also. The 5 being used for the MCR has a very closed tail, the tails of the 5's in the color palette and original clue lines are open more and easier to tell from 6's.

S.Slug
Adjunto

archivos adjuntos: MCR fives.JPG (31,3k)

Respuesta
14/01/07 11:42 en respuesta a bjwalke.
5 and 6 were changed. We need your input to know if they're better.
Hagit

Respuesta
14/01/07 19:43 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="hagitm"]
Hagit

The 5's in my MCR's still have nearly closed tails. When will the change take effect?

Respuesta
15/01/07 0:03 en respuesta a bjwalke.
[quote="hagitm"]
Hagit

Much better 5's. Thank you!
Adjunto

archivos adjuntos: MCR fives revised.JPG (44,7k)

Respuesta
16/01/07 14:04 en respuesta a bjwalke.
The numbers on the MCR are now much clearer. Also very many thanks for making it possible to see the MCR and the frozen clues at the same time. Brilliant.

A couple of more requests (aren't we all greedy?!!). Can the 5's and 6's in the clues be made as clear as those in the MCRs.

Also I thought it would be fun to print our a puzzle that I was doing to show people how I spent so much of my time. All I got was a blank puzzle. Great shame.

Thanks again for all your hard work and a marvellous site.

Sieska

Moderadores del foro: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.