Yhdistelmä näkymä Sisentämätön näkymä Puunäkymä
Viestiketjuja [ Edellinen | Seuraava ]
toggle
Re: Thought for newbies
Vastaus
8.8.2003 15:20 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I couldn't agree more! When I first began, even puzzles of 1000 or 2000 points were tough! Over time you learn more strategies which help to make the bigger ones possible to complete without having a nervous breakdown!

Thought for newbies
Vastaus
11.8.2003 0:44
Just thought I might share this for newcomers. I've always solved the puzzles by doing the least difficult for quite some time. Lately I've worked up the courage to try harder ones.....and surpisingly....I find that the more difficult ones were easier for me to solve and even more fun!! Just a suggestion.

Vastaus
11.8.2003 0:44 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
>I couldn't agree more! When I first began, even puzzles of 1000 or 2000 points were tough! Over time you learn more strategies which help to make the bigger ones possible to complete without having a nervous breakdown!

Yeah, I found I could solve the more difficult puzzles with more logical deduction and the easier ones sometimes there was nothing left to do but guess!

Vastaus
6.1.2005 15:44 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
When I first started solving griddlers, I tried to do them in chronological order. But because there were so many being added, I had to try a new tactic. I discovered how to list the puzzles in reverse difficulty order, but it seemed like I never got anywhere--puzzle makers were faster than I was! :help:

Then I decided to do certain authors, but the same "up-the-down-escalator" thing happened--besides, I found that I enjoyed almost all the authors equally! :roll:

Now that "themes" has been added, I am in heaven! Between that and the various sorting tools, I can choose the griddler that exactly fits my mood! :happy6:

Thanks Team (and authors) for giving us this most fantastic website! :thumbup:

--Lu Miller
(bitzi3)

Vastaus
6.1.2005 17:45 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I totally agree! And thank you soozascii for bringing up this topic! :thumbup:

I was a member of this wonderful site for more than one year before I decided to do larger griddlers. In fact, I was very afraid to start solving the large ones (50x50) because they rarely worked out for me on paper. :roll: But one of the team members (Ra100 :hello: ) encouraged me to try out the "Last Supper" multi by TNT. It was one of my first 50x50 puzzles and also one of my first multis to try out. I was very afraid it would be again one of the sort I would not finish because of the high difficulty. So I started with the easiest ones, and one by one, step by step I finally finished it! I was soooo proud of myself :laughing5:

Since then I try to solve the most difficult puzzles - or the largest multis on the site (though I am still struggling with the Untitled - there are parts which are a bit too difficult for me :sad2: but after completing the Last Supper I am convinced I will be able to finish it one day).

Domi

Vastaus
7.1.2005 2:02 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
[quote="domi77"]
Since then I try to solve the most difficult puzzles - or the largest multis on the site (though I am still struggling with the Untitled - there are parts which are a bit too difficult for me :sad2: but after completing the Last Supper I am convinced I will be able to finish it one day).

Domi

I hate to admit that I am also struggling with the untitled multi, I have finished the elvin thieve, but there are several parts of the untitled multi that I have done already 4 times, but still have not been able to solve. :oops:
I like the black/white puzzles the best, so most of the time I am trying to solve them first, but when there is a puzzle that is rated very high (for example the chemical puzzles of Asterix and Obelix) I will try those as well.
At the moment I have to divide my time between solving and making puzzles, and it is hard to choose sometimes, because I really like both of them a lot.

Maarten

Vastaus
11.12.2005 2:54 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I just found this site and have been trying various puzzles on it most of the day. I agree, sometimes higher difficulty levels puzzles can be easier to solve than lower difficulty ones. Besides the fact that people are different, I think I read (in the FAQ?) that the computer-determined difficulty won't always match how hard it is for a human.

In general, I've been sorting puzzles by difficulty, trying some of the lowest ones first, then jumping up a bit. Mostly I've been playing at somewhere around 100 or less. Being so new, I don't have the instincts and skills more experienced people do, so I've got to settle for working from the bottom up. emoticon

Vastaus
9.4.2006 21:47 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I've been griddling for just a couple of days and have now worked myself up to 3 or 4 colours, medium sized grids and difficulty ratings of up to 700. I thought that was good until I saw the ratings go up to hundreds of thousands!!

Oh well, I guess it will keep me busy... emoticon

Vastaus
2.9.2006 21:50 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I have to agree completely. But I must say, Im suprised at the amount of people who dislike or are scared of multi coloured griddlers: I love them and am scared of the black and white ones. I find it hard to look at a row or column of hints and find where I am with them.

Anyways, I digress. I agree completely with what you originally said: there's no need to be afraid of big griddlers just because they're big.

Vastaus
5.8.2007 15:32 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I'm still quite a newbie but I have found the best way to sort into similar difficulty is by using "Mid-time" rather than by "Points". At the moment I find a mid time of about 4 minutes gives me a reasonable challenge and can normally solve completely by logic. Needless to say my actual solving time is somewhere between 2.5 to 3 times longer than stated mid-time!

Vastaus
13.9.2007 23:15 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
i've seen people suggest in comments boxes by some puzles that they are easier if you change the colours while you are solving it (for example where 2 or more very similar shades are used) - how do i do this? i'm working on a puzzle which has 7 different shades of grey and its making my eyes water!

Vastaus
13.9.2007 23:54 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
[quote="fallenangel42"]i've seen people suggest in comments boxes by some puzles that they are easier if you change the colours while you are solving it (for example where 2 or more very similar shades are used) - how do i do this? i'm working on a puzzle which has 7 different shades of grey and its making my eyes water!

Double click on one of the colored clues, or background clues. A table or bar will come up, depending if you are using iGridd, or regular solving, where you can change the color.

RE: Re: Thought for newbies
Vastaus
8.10.2008 23:28 vastauksena Derekhm:aan.
Derekhm:
Needless to say my actual solving time is somewhere between 2.5 to 3 times longer than stated mid-time!

*Sighs deeply with relief* Heh, I have been on this site for a couple of weeks now I suppose. I've been working on Griddlers for a few months before that, so... I thought I was doing alright. Then, after stepping into this site, and seeing the mid time of all the puzzles I was solving, I thought I was terribly inexperienced at griddlers! It was so aggravating, and even discouraging to see that the mid time was usually 2-3 time less than mine. I thought it was just because I sucked at doing them. But finding this post, and others in this thread was very nice. It seems it's true what they say, practice makes perfect. The largest one I've ever been able to solve was a 32x32 one of a lion (ID:5691) I felt sooooo good when I got that one done! The biggest one yet! I guess you just have to work up from the bottom up. Coming into this site with the thought I had, that I could start solving 50x50 and big color ones isn't good. It may be true for some, but it's much better to go into this site moving at a slow, easy pace, and take achievements, like solving your biggest puzzle yet, with great accomplishment! Just move one little step at a time. I'm sure with time, I'll be able to tackle those big ones! Heh... there's my advice from a newbie to any newbies out there. XP

And even better advice: Become a registered member! Hee! The iGridd application makes solving, organizing, and finding the best puzzles so much easier! It's not really all that much for a year subscription. $3.33 a month, or $0.75 a week. Come one, that's really not that much! ^^ It's really worth it if you want to achieve more from this wonderful, fun and addictive site! :toothy10: :toothy7: :toothy10:

RE: Thought for newbies
Vastaus
12.11.2008 3:52 vastauksena soozascii:aan.
I've been doing these puzzles for a few years now and I can't seem to get past 14 million points . I can't imagine solving a 50 million point puzzle. I guess I should finally read some tips. I've learned a lot browsing the forum tonite.

Foorumin moderaattorit: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.