Yhdistelmä näkymä Sisentämätön näkymä Puunäkymä
Viestiketjuja [ Edellinen | Seuraava ]
toggle
Mistake Correction?
Vastaus
16.8.2006 1:59
When I catch something that must be an error, I always have the same conversation with myself:

"Aw, dangit! That can't be right. Okay, so I'll put it here... But then that makes this one over here wrong, which makes that one over there... Grr! Forget it! I'll just start over!"

The only way I know how to fix things is by backspacing a ton and undoing half the puzzle.
:oops:

So my question is this:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks that help them correct mistakes?

Re: Mistake Correction?
Vastaus
16.8.2006 20:05 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
[quote="Moonsun6"]So my question is this:

The best tips is: Don't make mistakes emoticon

Vastaus
16.8.2006 21:06 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Of course Ildjarn is right, but I'm usually having troubles with doing this myself. :evil:

With the easy puzzles I might just try and 'fix' it by changing a few cells to what seems to be ok. But I usually work on those puzzles that take a few hours to solve, I won't take any risks of spending all those hours to find out that I took a wrong direction at one point and fixed it the wrong way. When I discover that I've made a mistake, the first thing I'll do is start looking for the place where it originated. If I can find it, I'll use the backspace to go back to the exact spot where I made it. If I can't find it, or it's very obvious that the mistake didn't effect too much of the clues I put there afterwards, I'll just clean out the area around it. And yes, it has happend that I had to delete a saved puzzle after too many hours of solving, because I just couldn't find the mistake. :crybaby: It's all part of the game...

Jelga

Vastaus
17.8.2006 22:11 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
emoticon Thanks. I feel a little better knowing that even the pros have trouble sometimes.

I do try to be careful, but sometimes I can't help but try to match the median time. :?

Vastaus
4.9.2006 14:57 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
[quote="Moonsun6"]
So my question is this:

One thing I'm trying and have some success is to leave the mistake and go to another part of the puzzle. At the end you will have incomplete rows and columns. Then look for the mistake where these bad rows and bad columns intersect. Might not be the best, but works sometimes, especially if you find the mistake towards the end.

Instead of just deleting the whole puzzle, just erase the row or column with the mistake and the neighboring rows/columns. This also might help correct the error without having to start over.

Vastaus
15.9.2006 17:11 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
I do what Petsmom does. Sometimes I'll just erase a few spaces around where the problem is. Sometimes (groan) I have to start over.

Vastaus
17.9.2006 6:21 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
[quote="salos"]I do what Petsmom does. Sometimes I'll just erase a few spaces around where the problem is. Sometimes (groan) I have to start over.

I think I have the record for starting a puzzle over emoticon the triddler "Dolphin in Moonlight" ... I think I must have started that one about 20 times.
I am glad that I finally finished it and can now start on a different puzzle.

Vastaus
26.11.2006 12:16 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Although I like to complete a puzzle completely by logic, occasionally I can't see a logical choice, but can see that it has to be 1 of 2 different places. Before 'guessing' which 1 it might be, I ALWAYS save the puzzle at that point, then if the guess proves wrong, quit & reload.

Vastaus
27.11.2006 13:37 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
[quote="IpsQuaker"]occasionally I can't see a logical choice, but can see that it has to be 1 of 2 different places. Before 'guessing' which 1 it might be, I ALWAYS save the puzzle at that point, then if the guess proves wrong, quit & reload.

somtimes both options don't "provoke" mistakes so you can't really tell one from another, (this indicates most of the time that this clue has little effect on the outcome), so i choose the option that seems best and go on as much as i can with the puzzle if it was the wrong choice it will pop at some point and then you just need to correct it.

basically, save alot and only when your absolutly sure you're right so far.
good luck

Nadav

Vastaus
22.12.2006 14:31 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
I usually make mistakes when I go too fast. So I always try to pace myself, even if I've suddenly discovered the long-expected opening after a long search. Also I don't guess, but when a certain block is obvious because of the picture I keep an eye on it, and use it as a check-point: the logic should lead to coloring that block. This (hopefully) helps to spot mistakes early.

Vastaus
23.12.2006 1:50 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Years ago, when the Rubik's cube came out, I found myself frustrated by not being able to solve it pronto. As a result I developed some stickers which I would use to paste over those naughty non-conforming squares and, voila, the thing is done.

For Griddlers I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I have little stickers that I adhere to my screen which changes the original number of squares of a particular color to that which I've actually done. Then I send a note to "Error in Puzzle" (submitting digital photo of my screen) and await changes.

This hasn't worked very well, yet, but I have high hopes.

Sean

ps: Yes, I'm working on my second $million. I found the first one too hard to do so decided to skip it and just move on to the second.

Vastaus
3.7.2007 22:51 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Oops...
I had this problem just now, I was doing a puzzle for more than one hour (instead of going to sleep :roll: ), and at the end I had some mistakes, some single cubes missing and some two's who must be singles...
So I thought: I'll take a look here on the forum if somebody had tips, I pressed 'pause' and after I read this page... I discovered... I didn't need anymore to worry about the problem, because my wrong-solved, was dissepeared, I forget to save it... So I'll try the same one the next time... But indeed it is very frustrating when at the end you have some mistakes and can't find the corrections...

When you manage to correct it at the end, by doing some adaptions, I find it always funny...

Vastaus
11.10.2007 17:43 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Hi. I do the same as IPS Quaker, and save when I'm sure that I've got it right, before going on to the areas where I'm going to be guessing. Then if it goes wrong, I can go back to the saved state and make another try.

Leaving it overnight helps, too; I've lost track of how many times I've been stumped, quit for the night, and when I come back the next day, see a move that's so obvious, I can't imagine how I missed it the day before.

Vastaus
18.10.2007 20:21 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
[quote="FredTheYounger"]Years ago, when the Rubik's cube came out, I found myself frustrated by not being able to solve it pronto. As a result I developed some stickers which I would use to paste over those naughty non-conforming squares and, voila, the thing is done.

For Griddlers I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I have little stickers that I adhere to my screen which changes the original number of squares of a particular color to that which I've actually done. Then I send a note to "Error in Puzzle" (submitting digital photo of my screen) and await changes.

This hasn't worked very well, yet, but I have high hopes.

Sean

ps: Yes, I'm working on my second $million. I found the first one too hard to do so decided to skip it and just move on to the second.

hehe i can solve a rubiks cube

Vastaus
1.12.2007 11:55 vastauksena Moonsun6:aan.
Backspacing? thanks I didn't know that one.

Foorumin moderaattorit: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.