« Back to Tips for Better Solving

Puzzle larger than screen

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Re: Puzzle larger than screen
Answer
12/28/02 10:03 PM as a reply to TallyHo.
>I'm new here, maybe this question was raised
>before, but I couldn't find it.

The old forum, in which you could've found it, maybe, was erased the very same date this one appeared, or maybe a day before that. So I don't know if it was raised before or not, but I'll try to answer it. )

>Larger puzzles don't fit in the window provided,
>and there are no slider buttons. How do you view
>the complete puzzle. I understand the +/- zoom,
>but if you zoom out enough to present the entire
>puzzle, it becomes too small to see or maneuver.

I dunno what you use, but I have sliders on the side, the normal Browser-type of sliders, but a lot of people here print the puzzle and then input their paper solution into the window here to get the score. )

>Hoping there is an easy answer. For now. I can
>only work smaller ones.

I know the feeling, this monitor only permits 30x30, and those are also a bit of a pain. But I have a bigger monitor elsewhere that I can use! *grin*

Answer
12/28/02 10:41 PM as a reply to TallyHo.
>I dunno what you use, but I have sliders on the side, the normal Browser-type of sliders, but a lot of people here print the puzzle and then input their paper solution into the window here to get the score. )

The puzzle appears in an "Applet Window" which is not part of the browser. There seems to be no way to get to the bottom of the puzzle.
>
>
>I know the feeling, this monitor only permits 30x30, and those are also a bit of a pain. But I have a bigger monitor elsewhere that I can use!

This is a nice 19" flatscreen; shouldn't that be enough? I will experiment with higher resolution.

Thanks

Answer
12/29/02 9:54 AM as a reply to TallyHo.
>>I dunno what you use, but I have sliders on the
>>side, the normal Browser-type of sliders, but a
>>lot of people here print the puzzle and then
>>input their paper solution into the window here
>>to get the score. )
>
>The puzzle appears in an "Applet Window" which
>is not part of the browser. There seems to be no
>way to get to the bottom of the puzzle.

Yes. It does appear in an Applet, but nevertheless it does have sliders, at least for me, might be different for different browsers and windows.. I've used IE6 and Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 98.. And all those has had sliders, if there need to be one. If the whole puzzle fits there won't be any sliders. At least that's my experience..

Answer
12/29/02 5:08 PM as a reply to TallyHo.
>This is a nice 19" flatscreen; shouldn't that be enough? I will experiment with higher resolution.
>
>Thanks

I am using a 17" screen, and my resolution is on 1280 x 1024. I can make almost every puzzle, there are only very few which I have to size down one step. This resolution works fine for me, I also use it for all other applications (although my boyfriend complains everything is too small, so I guess it takes a little time getting used to it). I would definitely try this with your 19" screen.

Marije

Answer
12/31/02 3:09 AM as a reply to TallyHo.
What browser are you using? I'm using Internet Explorer 5.1 for Macintosh and there's a "slider button" to make the screen as large or small as you want.

>Hi -
>
>I'm new here, maybe this question was raised before, but I couldn't find it.
>
>Larger puzzles don't fit in the window provided, and there are no slider buttons. How do you view the complete puzzle. I understand the +/- zoom, but if you zoom out enough to present the entire puzzle, it becomes too small to see or maneuver.
>
>Hoping there is an easy answer. For now. I can only work smaller ones.

Answer
1/1/03 1:03 PM as a reply to TallyHo.
>What browser are you using? I'm using Internet Explorer 5.1 for Macintosh and there's a "slider button" to make the screen as large or small as you want.

I am using I.E. 5.50. Regular windows have the sliders, but the applet window has only a plain frame around it. I can stretch the window, as well as maximize it, but the most rows I can make visible are 25. and the most columns 35. Sometimes less, if the depth/width of the clue-frames is extra-wide.

I tried a high resolution, but then everything is microscopic. Thus far, I am limited to doing puzzles of 25 x 25 or less.

Puzzle larger than screen
Answer
1/5/03 2:55 PM
Hi -

I'm new here, maybe this question was raised before, but I couldn't find it.

Larger puzzles don't fit in the window provided, and there are no slider buttons. How do you view the complete puzzle. I understand the +/- zoom, but if you zoom out enough to present the entire puzzle, it becomes too small to see or maneuver.

Hoping there is an easy answer. For now. I can only work smaller ones.

Answer
1/5/03 2:55 PM as a reply to TallyHo.
I have slider buttons but every time I try to go down, it refreshes itself and only moves the tiniest little bit. Help! Also, where are the zoom out/in buttons?

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.