« Back to Tips for Better Solving

How do I mark solved clues?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Re: How do I mark solved clues?
Answer
3/2/04 9:16 PM as a reply to georgeny.
You can mark the squares you already found on the grid, that might be handy sometimes in large griddlers. To be honest, I always did this when I solved a griddler in a book. But only found out yesterday griddlers.net also had this feature. See at extra tools how it works.

Answer
3/2/04 9:34 PM as a reply to georgeny.
>How are the X's and O's used on the puzzles?

X's and 0's are a good way of "guessing" at where you believe different marks should go. For instance, in working a black and white puzzle, you might know that one of 2 squares needs to be black, and yet be unsure of which one is correct. You can use the X's and 0's in place of Black (X) and White ()). Then, try one of your "guesses". Fill in as much as you can with X's and 0's placing an X anywhere a black would fall and a 0 anywhere a white would belong. Eventually you will see one of two outcomes. Either you will hit a place where your X's and 0's simply can't be correct, or you will find that they fit very nicely into the grid. If they don't work, erase your X and 0 marks and use them again to try your other "guess" . If they do work, change your X's to black and your 0's to white and you're on to the next problem!

As Tinky suggested, you can find an explanation of how to use the mouse to make these marks under "Extra Tools". Here are some small items from the section that might help

The Puzzle Area

Middle mouse click - places "?" (empty square) in the grid.
Shift+Left click - places a circle on a clue.
Shift+Right click - removes the circle.
Drag+Shift Left/Right click - places/removes several circles.
Shift+Middle mouse button - places "X" on the grid.
Shift+Left click - removes the circle and/or the "X".
Drag+Shift Right/Middle/Left click - places/removes several circles and or "X".

Hope this helps! Come back again and tell us if you're still having trouble. We'd love to help.

Chef )

How do I mark solved clues?
Answer
3/3/04 1:57 PM
How are the X's and O's used on the puzzles?

Answer
3/3/04 1:57 PM as a reply to georgeny.
You can also look in the Tutorial under SOLVE PUZZLES - Example 6.

Here the o's are used to "eliminate" a certain colour.

You can use them to show a certain square CAN'T have a colour (like in the example) or also to show that a square MUST have a colour.

You can also use them both in the same puzzle. Have x's be put in squares that MUST (but not necessarily) be blue and o's put in squares that MUST (but not necessarily) be red. Alternatively, x's can be put in squares that CAN'T be blue and 0's in squares that CAN'T be red.

As you fill in more squares with colours, you can add more x's and o's as needed.

You get the idea. They really help on the more complex colour puzzles.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.