« Back to Tips for Better Solving

Is it possible to change the grid colour?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
I read the topic on changing the background colour. I already knew that one and am using it frequently.
But is it also possible to change the grid colour?
This would especially come in handy when doing puzzles with a lot of shades of grey. Now I have to "lighten up" every single one of them when the darkest is the same colour as the grid.
Which I can of course continue doing, but one can always ask, right? emoticon

Re: Is it possible to change the grid colour?
Answer
12/21/04 3:07 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
Yes! It's possible and it's done in very much the same way as changing the background color.

If you'll check out the pics below, you'll see examples of changing both the Grid lines(the smaller individual lines around each square) and the Grid5 lines, the darker squares placed every five gridlines.

In both cases you just click the button in the upper left corner of the solving applet. The position is marked by the name Grid or Grid5. Then just use the color window to change it as you wish.

Hope this helps!
emoticon Chef
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: Grid Change.GIF (29.0k), Grid5.GIF (28.2k)

Answer
12/21/04 6:24 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
[quote="chefmomster2"]Hope this helps!
I'm terribly afraid that it doesn't. emoticon emoticon

Maybe I didn't explain it very well, but I ment the colour of the grid itself. I already happily use the possibility of changing the colours of the lines, but that still doesn't solve my problems with the (dark) greys. If the shade of grey is (almost) exactly the colour of the grid, I find it impossible to see if I coloured a particular box or not. And changing one grey isn't such a big problem, but if there are more shades I have to make them ALL a lighter shade (or a completely different colour).

Answer
12/21/04 6:33 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
I think you are asking if there is a way to change the color of the unknown squares, since they are gray. I haven't found a way to do that specifically, but I have found a trick that sometimes helps.

Basically, instead of using the background color to mean I know it doesn't have color, I use the gray "?" squares. The unknown squares are all colored with the background color.

If you have a 3-button mouse, the middle button always turns the square back to the gray with the "?". Color the entire grid with the background color. Now you can assign two different colors to the right and left buttons. All squares that you have determined will be the background color in the finished picture, use the middle button to use the "?" square.

By the way, the puzzle shown below is #11557.
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: suggested method.GIF (14.4k), usual method.GIF (14.3k)

Answer
12/21/04 6:39 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you're saying: do you mean giving the whole grid a totally new colour?
Because I do use the assigned background colour as a help to determine where a particular colour is NOT to be used, i.e. to rule out certain squares.

Answer
12/21/04 6:43 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
The way you are doing it now is to have the gray "?" squares as the unknown and the background color as the ones you have ruled out.

All this does is switch those two. Make the gray "?" squares the ones you have ruled out. The ones that are the background color are the ones that are unknown.

Answer
12/21/04 9:30 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
That's clever!

Answer
12/22/04 11:29 AM as a reply to lyonesse.
Ok

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.