« Back to Tips for Better Solving

Use of Xs and Os for puzzles with 4 colors

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
The strategy for solving 3-color puzzles has been discussed in this forum quite a bit, but I haven't seen strategies for puzzles with 4 or more colors. I've also read some posts about not solving colored puzzles because of the complexity of the logic.

When I am solving a 4-color puzzle, I use the Xs and Os with colors in the squares to allow for additional options. Here is how I indicate each possibility:

No marks (default unknown squares): Can be any color
X with a color: Can be any color except the one shown
O with a color: Can only be that color or blank
Color/blank with no X/O: Known square

This covers all possibilities for what is known about a square's coloring in a 4-color puzzle. It can be a little difficult to change from X to O, but I haven't seen puzzles where it is necessary to do that repeatedly.

You can use a similar notation system for puzzles with more than 4 colors, but it won't cover every possibility. With the addition of the capability to use X and O in the same square it's possible to cover all possibilities for a 5-color puzzle, but the notations become more complicated as the number of possibilities increases.

How do you all solve these puzzles?

Re: Use of Xs and Os for puzzles with 4 colors
Answer
5/15/07 1:02 AM as a reply to kysuebr.
Hi
Well to be honest with some amount of brain and eye strain - :scratch:
I have been using this site for 6 months now and am in 2,182 position in points solving, however I have only just discovered XXX & ooo s. :oops:
When i arrived on the site I didn't bother to read the 'how to' as i already new how from doing them in books. I recently saw on the forum people talking about XX & ooos so went to the manual and found how.

I was doing an 'andreasss' puzzle and gave them a go and they were definately a great help so now i will try your method too - very useful - thank you. emoticon

Freespirit

Answer
6/23/07 12:28 PM as a reply to kysuebr.
^^ no shame in that... I've been here for a year (well then I signed up) and I found out...today, tss shame on me

Answer
11/13/07 9:38 PM as a reply to kysuebr.
I just discovered the x's and o's as well but I can't seem to get them to work. Do they only work with puzzles with two colors? I tried the shift left click and it didn't work. I am not using the applet.

I've gotten pretty good at solving puzzles however beyond 6 million points is too difficult for me. Any suggestions?

Answer
11/13/07 10:50 PM as a reply to kysuebr.
Hi,

The x's and o's should work with all puzzles, it doesn't depend on the number of colors. So it must be something on your side.

Firstly, are you a pc or a Mac user? With my Mac, I never managed to get the X's, but the O's worked.

On a pc, make sure you're Java is up-to-date. There is a link on the homepage where you can download the latest version. If that's not it, try the configuration of your mouse. Maybe you got some additional software that helps you changing the settings?

If this doesn't help, give us some more info, like which mouse you are using.

Jelga

Answer
11/15/07 3:54 AM as a reply to kysuebr.
[quote="Jeltje"]Hi,

The x's and o's should work with all puzzles, it doesn't depend on the number of colors. So it must be something on your side.

Firstly, are you a pc or a Mac user? With my Mac, I never managed to get the X's, but the O's worked.

On a pc, make sure you're Java is up-to-date. There is a link on the homepage where you can download the latest version. If that's not it, try the configuration of your mouse. Maybe you got some additional software that helps you changing the settings?

If this doesn't help, give us some more info, like which mouse you are using.

Jelga

Thanks Jelga. I'm using my laptop so I'm not using a mouse, just the dohinky thing on the laptop. I haven't updated java recently so I'll try that. I'm using a PC not a MAC.

Do you have to use a separate mouse? Let me know.

thanks for your help and I love this site too!!!

Now teach me how to start solving the > 10 million point puzzles and I'll be a happy camper..lol.

Answer
11/15/07 9:14 AM as a reply to kysuebr.
Hi,

I've never tried to do Griddlers on a laptop, so I have no idea if it's possible to use the markers without a mouse. Maybe someone else has experience with this?

As for solving the multicolored millions puzzles, I wouldn't be able to solve them without those markers myself (though some I cannot even solve anyway). So I'd advise to get a mouse if you cannot get the X's to work without it!

Jelga

Answer
11/16/07 12:00 AM as a reply to kysuebr.
I can only use the "shift/mouse" buttons to get the O's on or off the puzzle. Unfortunately, if your laptop does not have a middle mouse button (most, like mine, don't), you can't use the X feature. :sad2:
Hope that helps.
Wayne

[quote="Jeltje"]Hi,

I've never tried to do Griddlers on a laptop, so I have no idea if it's possible to use the markers without a mouse. Maybe someone else has experience with this?

As for solving the multicolored millions puzzles, I wouldn't be able to solve them without those markers myself (though some I cannot even solve anyway). So I'd advise to get a mouse if you cannot get the X's to work without it!

Jelga

RE: Re: Use of Xs and Os for puzzles with 4 colors
Answer
6/7/08 7:59 AM as a reply to wbennett.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for methods for 4 color puzzles? My idea was that I would designate 2 colors as primary colors, then I would mark every square that can be the third and make marks for what other colors it can be like I do for 3 color puzzles. What are some good 4 color puzzles to do?

Answer
6/7/08 12:21 PM as a reply to xitvono.
I fill in the whole gridd with O's. After that I start tto fill in the clues form the egdes with the color of that clue. If a cell is right I remove the O.
Hawkmoon

Answer
6/7/08 11:10 PM as a reply to xitvono.
xitvono:
What are some good 4 color puzzles to do?

A very nice (and difficult!) 4 colors multi is Wanderers (32519) by Dreamelina.

With some of the very complex 4 colored puzzles I use the markers combined with colors. Blue with an X would mean - cannot be blue (but could be any of the other colors) and blue with an O would mean - has to be blue or the background color. That way I can cover all 4 colors with markers. You have to get used to it though - the puzzle will look messy and in some lines the red lights will appear. But it works!

Jelga

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.