Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN" Jeltje 3/15/06 9:06 PM
Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN" Irashtar 6/28/06 11:30 AM
Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN" Jeltje 6/28/06 7:05 PM
Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN" sslug 6/28/06 8:47 PM
Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN" Jeltje 6/28/06 9:53 PM
Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN"
Answer
5/8/05 10:54 AM
I am a fairly new user of Griddlers.net and am finding it amazing.
I had previously become quite proficient doing "Tsunami" puzzles and thought that I'd be able to cope with most of what I would find on Griddlers.
However I can't get started properly on the "CORN" puzzle.
I've obviously completed part of the column with the 26 block and part of a row containing 18.
Apart from that I've managed to blank out a few squares around the edges and got no further.
Can someone please advise where I can go next? Is there a key square or block of squares.
Regards
Herrkutz

Re: Help needed with puzzle 21803 "CORN"
Answer
5/8/05 8:07 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Hi, Herrkutz,

If you make a screenshot of what you've solved so far it will be much easier to tell you what the next step is.

The Sticky Post in this forum (2nd in the list, with the yellow color) explains how to upload an image (the screenshot).

Looking forward to seeing the image. :-)

Hagit

Answer
5/14/05 1:23 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I'm embarassed to show my ignorance but how do I attach the puzzle I'm stuck on for someone to have a look at and provide help in solving it?

Answer
5/14/05 4:56 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Herrkutz"]I'm embarassed to show my ignorance but how do I attach the puzzle I'm stuck on for someone to have a look at and provide help in solving it?

Hello Herrkutz,

You have to make a screencopy first. You can read how to do that in How do I do a screenshot topic under Get Help in Solving forum.

Good luck!

Jelga

Answer
5/15/05 6:19 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I now attach an image showing how far I have got with this one.
Hope it is an acceptable format to enable someone to peruse and offer advice.
(Wasn't sure how best to get full grid on page without making too small - I don't have MS paint).

Hope to have guidance on how I can proceed with "Corn" soon.

Regards
Herrkutz

Answer
5/15/05 9:02 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
It's not there emoticon
What format did you use and what was the size of the image?

Try once more!

Jelga

Answer
5/15/05 12:53 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Hopefully worked this time!
If its not there, what am I doing wrong?
My actions were as follows:
Open puzzle;
Click on minus (-) sign until whole puzzle visible;
Al/Print screen;
Paste to word document & saved as 21803 Corn (in "my documents";
Back to forum;
Get help in solving;
Open topic;
post reply;
Browse;
Clicked on saved document;
clicked on "open" (I can see that the file name/path has appeared in the filename window);
click add attachment;
type this message;
submit. (but the filename is no longer visible!)

Answer
5/15/05 2:03 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Herrkutz"]Paste to word document & saved as 21803 Corn (in "my documents";

You should save it as gif or jpeg, not as word document.

Answer
5/15/05 2:22 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
The instructions to printscreen are as follows:
1. Maximize the window you'd like to capture.
[quote="Herrkutz"]My actions were as follows:
Open puzzle;
Click on minus (-) sign until whole puzzle visible; :angel8:

2. To copy/capture the current window, hold down ALT + Print Scrn at the same time. To capture the entire screen, just press Print Scrn.

[quote="Herrkutz"]Alt/Print screen; :angel8:

3. Open a new document in MS Paint, MS Photo Editor, or Adobe PhotoShop.
[quote="Herrkutz"]Paste to word document & saved as 21803 Corn (in "my documents"); :cry: :cry: :cry:

Document files (with the extension .doc) cannot be loaded to the forum.

Hagit

Answer
5/15/05 6:37 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
What are gif, jpeg, MS paint, MS photo editor and adobe photoshop?

I hate it when people assume that everyone is as computer literate as they are.

Why does it seem so complicated to add an attachment.
Why can't the system be configured so as to be able to just click on the puzzle itself and select an option to send as an attachment.
Surely not beyond the realms of possibility with today's modern technology!

Answer
5/15/05 7:16 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Herrkutz"]What are gif, jpeg, MS paint, MS photo editor and adobe photoshop?

I hate it when people assume that everyone is as computer literate as they are.

Why does it seem so complicated to add an attachment.

Herrkutz, it's not as difficult as it seems emoticon

gif and jpeg are the extensions telling the computer that the file is a picture (like .doc extension tells this file is a document).

MS paint, MS photo editor, and Adobe Photoshop are the programs, into which you should paste (ctrl+v) the image you took from this page (alt+print screen). When you save the captured image in one of these programs, it automatically offers you to save it as a gif or jpeg-file.

Once you have it saved as a gif or jpeg-file, it is possible to upload it into this forum. (If you save it in a word document, the system won't recognize it as a picture, but as a text document.)

Give it another try emoticon

Answer
5/15/05 7:36 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
But I don't know what MS paint, MS photo editor or adobe photoshop shop are.
I've never used them. How do access these services?

Answer
5/15/05 8:21 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Herrkutz"]But I don't know what MS paint, MS photo editor or adobe photoshop shop are.
I've never used them. How do access these services?

What system are you running on? Windows, Mac, Linux?
If Windows, you should have also MS Paint already installed on your PC. I don't know whether you can download a trial-version of MS photo editor from the net, but there is a trial-version (for 30 days I think) of adobe photoshop downloadable. Click here to download and install the trial version of Adobe Photoshop (there are two versions - one for Windows, the other one for Mac). (Download the "Adobe Photoshop CS2 tryout" file.) After that you can paste your screenshot image into the program and add it here. Hope this helps a bit emoticon

Domi.

Answer
5/15/05 8:23 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
MS Paint is a program that comes free with Windows, it should be in Program Files/Accessories/. You can use the search option and look for 'paint.exe' if you don't see it right away.

It is a very simple program. When you start it, it opens a blank file. You can paste (ctrl V) the screencopy in it right away. Then, have a look at the picture. It has probably too much in it, you can choose the selection tool (the dotted rectangle) and select the part that you really want. Press ctrl-C to copy this part and open a new file in paint. Press ctrl-V and you've got the part that you selected.
Save it and choose the type .jpg or .gif.

I hope this helps!

Jelga

Answer
5/15/05 8:50 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
At last I think I've managed to attach my partially completed puzzle.
If someone could point me in the right direction to proceed with comnpletion, I'd be very grateful.
Attachment

Attachments: 21803 Corn.JPG (112.8k)

Answer
5/15/05 10:53 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Well, you're not the only one who doesn't know how to get on with this one. The only way I can find is with the infamous 'trial and error' method... :roll:
I think the next clue to look for will be the yellow in the top rows, but I haven't found it yet. What I've been doing is this: I mark all the places where yellow cannot be with a 0 (shift+right click). From that point I filled in the first place (from the left) where yellow could be and looked how far it got me. When I find out it doesn't work out, I'll mark it with an 0 as well and try the next one. You'll notice soon that the fives and sixes in the next rows will limit the places for the yellow. If you're lucky, there'll be only one place left where the yellow can be.

I uploaded a picture of how far I've come with the 0's. It isn't much and it is n't a very 'logic' way of solving, but I hope it does help you anyway!

Maybe somebody else has got a better hint?

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: 21803 corn.jpg (131.3k)

Answer
5/15/05 11:01 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Jeltje"]MS Paint is a program that comes free with Windows, it should be in Program Files/Accessories/. You can use the search option and look for 'paint.exe' if you don't see it right away.

The program's called mspaint.exe. You can start it with Run->mspaint.exe.

Answer
5/18/05 4:16 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Ok, I'm not getting anywhere with this puzzle myself, so we need a different approach:

Fineke introduced the term 'Briddlers' sometime ago, for the 'real braincrackers that are only solvable with Multi Line Solving'. Well, if ever a puzzle met this description, it's this one. It doesn't even have extremely high points and the average solving time isn't too bad either.

So here's a challenge for those who really like to solve the hardest puzzles: Solve this puzzle (if you haven't done so yet) and tell us why it has to be solved this way. No guessing allowed! It's not about being the first to tell us where the next blocks will have to be, but about giving the best logic explanation for it!

Fineke, JvLoenen, Wiggles, JohnWillemse, your names come to my mind first, but anyone else is very welcome too, please help us out! I really would like to know where logic has gone in this puzzle...:confused2:

Jelga

Answer
5/20/05 5:38 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I haven't solved this one yet, but I'm going to now emoticon

But I'd like to make a comment about the multi-line solving issue: as far as I know the program code that checks a puzzle after creation to see if it can be solved only supports single line solving; therefore the puzzle must be solvable that way. It would probably be easier to use MLS though. I'll try and solve the puzzle offline in Photoshop and take snapshots each step. It might take a while for I don't have plenty of time on my hands right now.

Greetings,
John Willemse

Answer
5/20/05 7:16 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
With pure logic the solving times Jelga noticed are not possible I think. But While I was trying to eliminate a possibility I suddenly "painted" half of the picture. From there on the rest was easy. But that's not a fair method in my opinion. So I didn't finish the "painting"
and have to start again. Until now -using pure logic- I only managed to find little more. The 26 vertical blacks cannot reach the bottom two horizontal lines. (elimination by trial) but that won't bring you much farther. I keep trying!
Fineke

Answer
5/20/05 4:20 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I may be able to help a little bit.

In your screenshot I see that there are some lines with "o"'s then two blank cells and then another "o". The yellow number on the line was "3". Therefore you know that the two blank cells CAN'T be yellow so you can put "o"'s in them. This can help a little.

You can also use this same sort of logic when you have a black followed by 2 blanks and then another black. If the smallest yellow clue is 3 then you can put "o"'s in between the two blacks.

(Plus you can go a little farther in your "o"'s I notice.)

For the first column I think you can colour in quite a few cells white by logically thinking that there is a yellow cell in the second column so the only way to have that is by having a black cell before it. So since the second column column starts with 14 "o"'s you know that the first 12 cells in the first column must be white. (Though I see you have done that.) You can do this a little farther down plus use the same logic for the bottom. (Maybe you have but your screenshot got chopped off.) I'm unsure whether or not this logic is SLS (single line solving) though. Maybe SLS is a bit different for colour pictures.

Another tip I had to figure out was when you have the clue black3, yellow8, black1, black7, black4 and black3. I had some parts of the line complete. So I had the first 3 cells marked with "o"'s. Then a bunch of blanks. Then I had an "o" followed by 3 blacks. Then my row was complete with "o"'s with some white's at the end. I figured out that TWO cells to the left of the three blacks I had coloured in must be "o"'s. If the three blacks were the 4 clue or the 3 clue then obviously there'd be a couple of blacks before. But if the three blacks were the 7 clue the only way for the yellow clue to be before this would be if there was the 1 clue before this block of three. So therefore the one "o" for the potential white and the one "o" for the potential black.

I don't know how much all of this is going to help you but maybe some of the logic will help figure more things out.

Answer
5/21/05 1:03 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Here's another part that stumped me for awhile.

Look at the line with the 3 "x"'s that are circled. (I put "x"s where only yellow can go.)
These must be "x"'s since we have the black square on the grid (this is part of the black clue26 that you both got). If that black square is part of the black 2 clue then only 1 square at the most to the left could be black and 6 squares to the left could be yellow. If it is part of the black 3 clue then 2 squares max to the left could be black and 5 squares to the left could be yellow. If it is part of the first black 2 clue then 1 square max to the left could be black and everything else to the left is white. Anyway you look at it these three squares CANNOT be black.

Because of this if you check out the column clues for the 2nd and 3rd "x" you can fill in alot of squares below these two "x" lines.
Attachment

Attachments: help2.GIF (41.8k)

Answer
5/21/05 9:15 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
YES!!! Wiggles, this is the kind of logic I was looking for. No trial and error, no guessing, just a simpel 'those squares can't be black' with a lot of blacks suddenly to be filled in below it.

I'm hesitating now.:confused4: Will I delete all that I solved with trial&error and start all over by logic only? Or just go on and see how far I get now. Even after two hours of solving, this is a very usefull hint to me, the first real logic step after filling in the obvious blacks. And it still isn't going to be easy from here...

:thumbright: Thank you !!!!

Jelga

Answer
5/21/05 2:12 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
The 12B 18B row blocks yellow in the first 31 columns in this row.
Then in the column ending with 14B, you can fill two blacks.

Answer
6/11/05 6:01 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I tried using pure logic to solve this for a while, without getting very far. Then I thought, "Why am I doing this? I don't need pure conscious logic. From the numbers, there seems to be a yellow 'fin' outlined in black leading down into the lower-left corner." So I put a yellow block in the lower-leftmost spot that a yellow could go, and it was easy to solve from there.

I guessed plenty along the way (though only to save time after that first yellow), but every one of those guesses turned out to be correct. Pure logic is overrated, unless you're trying to tell a computer how to do something. I'm not a computer, I can guess intelligently. ^_^

Answer
3/11/06 2:07 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Ok, I left this one alone for a long time and in the end I did start all over again. My goal: To solve this puzzle with Single Line Solving (SLS) alone. Not because I want to beat the computer, but because apparently the computer can solve it that way and so I should be able to find that next step too. But now that I've looked over every row and column innumerable times and used every bit of logic Wiggles taught us here, it is time to call in your help.

Earlier today I had a look at it together with Dreamtheater. We both agreed that one of the blocks in the red square just has to be yellow. This means, whichever it is, the two black cells in the row above it cannot be connected together to make the black four. It also means in the row below it, there won't be place for a yellow 2, so this does have to be the black block of 4.

The thing we did not agree upon is if these steps are SLS. What do you think? And if this is Multi Line Solving, is there another step (or way of reasoning) to be found that doesn't use MLS?

I will love to hear your opinion about it!

Thanks, Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: corn.jpg (213.9k)

Answer
3/11/06 4:45 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
To me that type of solution is MLS. The way I look at it, you're only looking at a single line at a time. There is no way of marking that one of the lines above may be yellow, it is purely a carry over from looking at the line below at the same time. When the computer solves it, I would be surprised if it somehow used the same logic as it would have no way of marking the puzzle to solve the next step on its next iteration.

That's my opinion, but then again I couldn't for the life of me find the next SLS step, so there's a strong chance I'm wrong.

Answer
3/15/06 1:55 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
I agree with growne -- MLS. (But you knew that already.)

You are right about the red block -- it does have to contain a yellow. But what does that tell you about the squares adjacent to the black squares that flank the red block?

Once you've figured that out check out the line that is 3 lines down from that red block...

Hope that helps!

BTW I did solve it totally by SLS. Not the first time though. It was probably the toughest puzzle I ever did.

Answer
3/15/06 9:06 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Wiggles, you did it again!!!! :notworthy:

Not very advanced logic needed for this one though, more like looking too much for X's and O's and overlooking the plain fill-ins. :oops: Oh well, we still needed you to see it, so maybe it wasn't that obvious after all. Found a nice couple of steps because of this and now it's back to marking squares again.

Thanks a million!

Jelga

Answer
6/28/06 11:30 AM as a reply to Herrkutz.
read through all the tutorials again, I'm going crazy. I've bounded in the yellow as best I can, but am blind to the logic that is putting white in http://www.griddlers.net:8080/phpBB2/download.php?id=115
Heck, I'm still fuzzy on the white I did put on mine, would you please elaborate the logic?

I've reread wiggle's post over and over, I understand his second hint, the one his image displays, but all the stuff below is driving me bonkers.
For the first column I think you can colour in quite a few cells white by logically thinking that there is a yellow cell in the second column so the only way to have that is by having a black cell before it. So since the second column column starts with 14 "o"'s you know that the first 12 cells in the first column must be white. (Though I see you have done that.) You can do this a little farther down plus use the same logic for the bottom. (Maybe you have but your screenshot got chopped off.) I'm unsure whether or not this logic is SLS (single line solving) though. Maybe SLS is a bit different for colour pictures.

http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled0hz3.png

Answer
6/28/06 7:05 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="Irashtar"]read through all the tutorials again, I'm going crazy. I've bounded in the yellow as best I can, but am blind to the logic that is putting white in http://www.griddlers.net:8080/phpBB2/download.php?id=115
Heck, I'm still fuzzy on the white I did put on mine, would you please elaborate the logic?
Hi Irashtar,
Forget about logic in that first image I uploaded, I was desparate at the time and all that is in it was put there by trial and error. I'm not saying the whites are wrong, but I won't be able to explain what's the logic behind them :? As you can see in this screenshot I uploaded later, there is no white to be found in the top rows for some time if you want to solve it by logic alone.

I've reread wiggle's post over and over, I understand his second hint, the one his image displays, but all the stuff below is driving me bonkers.

Be glad you understand the second hint, that's the most important one and it was a real eyeopener for me. More tricks like this are explained in the lessons by the way. The bit you quoted is about the two most left columns. You need a yellow cell in the 2nd column and there aren't really that many places where it can be, because most rows start with 2 blacks or more. Left of this yellow cell has to be a black one, because none of the rows starts with yellow. As there is only one clue in the first column, that whole clue has to be in reach of the yellow clue. So all the cells that are further than 3 cells away from a place that can be yellow, can't be black.

LOL, I hope this makes sense... Have a look at my screenshot and let me know if it is clear!

Jelga

PS Don't be desparate if you do understand this and still can't solve this puzzle. It is a really hard one - unless you solve it by Zen instead of logic - but you'll need Sslugs help for that emoticon
Attachment

Attachments: Corn again.jpg (45.7k)

Answer
6/28/06 8:47 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
Thanks Jel!

I don't know if its Zen or just picture logic, but it does WORK.

I can get too obsessed sometimes with the counting and X's and O's and start to get frustrated. :banghead:
The whole process becomes too much like work. :homework: This IS supposed to be fun recreation, not too much frustration and stress.

You just have to let yourself let go of some of that control and be willing to have an adventure. Sometimes you can just see where the picture is going and it just seems to flow. If something isn't working, you usually don't have to back up very far to try a new path.

I just spent an enjoyable afternoon completing squarepusher's new "Slug" (which is really a snail) using this method. I wanted to enjoy this one and not stress about it. :glasses7: (BTW, the result is great!)

Don't misunderstand. I do most puzzles in the conventional manner, counting, marking X and O, etc. And some puzzles I have had to save and keep coming back to, because I'm determined to find that next pixel by SLS (if the computer can do it, I should be able to, too). But nobody is grading us on HOW we complete the puzzles, so sometimes Zen seems the way to go.

I know those puzzle purists out there will just cringe when they see this and shout "But that's just guessing!" But its not random guessing, you are using your brain's ability to recognize patterns.
:hippy2:

Everyone have a wonderful day solving, no matter which way you choose.

S.

Answer
6/28/06 9:53 PM as a reply to Herrkutz.
[quote="sslug"]I know those puzzle purists out there will just cringe when they see this and shout "But that's just guessing!" But its not random guessing, you are using your brain's ability to recognize patterns.
:hippy2:

Everyone have a wonderful day solving, no matter which way you choose.

S.
Hi sslug!

LOL. I'm a purist myself if it is about my own solving - or when someone asks for an explanation for the next step in this place. Although sometimes it is very tempting to continue without SLS, especially when the solution is obvious. :sad7: Corn is my final challenge - if I have solved this one by SLS alone, I'll let go and allow intuition as a solving method. Last time I did decide I could do that was when I started some puzzle called 'Run' - which turned out to be the greatest challlenge in the site at that time. :toothy3:

I loved your remark in the comment box of Corn - and you are completely right, everyone should solve the puzzles the way they like it best!

Jelga

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.