Re: Help on 'Please start again' Jeltje 5/26/05 3:55 PM
Re: Help on 'Please start again' ArizGal 5/26/05 6:07 PM
Re: Help on 'Please start again' Jeltje 5/26/05 6:31 PM
Re: Help on 'Please start again' ArizGal 5/26/05 7:12 PM
Re: Help on 'Please start again' dreamtheater 5/26/05 9:47 PM
Help on 'Please start again'
Answer
5/22/05 8:21 PM
Can someone explain to me how to get a screenprint of a puzzle. I assume you use the computer key that shows the computer and the screen, but where does it go and how do I find it in browse. What folder is it in, how is it named, and what is the file extension? I've looked thru hundreds of files on my computer and I don't see anything that gives me a clue. :cry:

Re: Help on 'Please start again'
Answer
5/22/05 8:42 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Hi Arizgal,

When you press the 'printscreen' key, it copies the contents of your screen to the memory of your pc, not yet to a file. When you open a new file in for instance Paint -but it works with Word and other programs too- and press 'ctrl V' (paste) the picture appears in your file and you can save it.

If you want to make a printscreen to ask for help with a puzzle, make sure the puzzle is small enough to show us all of the part you have been working on, together with the clues. Pasting it in Paint is usually te easiest.

I hope this makes it clear emoticon

Jelga

Answer
5/22/05 11:38 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="Jeltje"]Hi Arizgal,

When you press the 'printscreen' key, it copies the contents of your screen to the memory of your pc, not yet to a file. When you open a new file in for instance Paint -but it works with Word and other programs too- and press 'ctrl V' (paste) the picture appears in your file and you can save it.

If you want to make a printscreen to ask for help with a puzzle, make sure the puzzle is small enough to show us all of the part you have been working on, together with the clues. Pasting it in Paint is usually te easiest.

I hope this makes it clear emoticon

Jelga

Thank you so much Jelga!!! I don't have Paint but I will try to use Word.

Answer
5/23/05 12:15 AM as a reply to ArizGal.
I do have Paint. Here is the screenprint. Hope I can finish this upper corner so I can delete one of my saved segments, I'm running out of save space.

Ahh, the file is too big. It's a bit map,and is 1407kb. Any hints on how to make it smaller??

Answer
5/23/05 12:27 AM as a reply to ArizGal.
Used different format, let's try this - Well it's small enough now but Griddler won't take a BMP file. How do I get it into another format?

Answer
5/23/05 6:21 AM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="ArizGal"]Ahh, the file is too big. It's a bit map,and is 1407kb. Any hints on how to make it smaller??

Hi ArizGal,

do not save the picture as a bitmap (BMP), the image is ususally too big to upload it here. Save it as a .JPEG (or .JPG) file - you can choose this format in Paint too.
Good luck!

Domi 8)

Answer
5/23/05 8:41 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
My version of Paint only allows me the choices of
saving in different types of bit maps. 16 bit 256 bit, etc. With the 16 bit, I get a small enough file size,
but wrong format :-(

Answer
5/23/05 9:10 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Hi!

Gee, you're having a world of trouble with this! I hope you can solve it soon.

Did you check that drop-down under the space where you fill in the title in Paint? You probably did, but I figured it can't hurt to ask! That's where my formatting is.

Here's a pic to show it.

emoticon Chef

PS To complicate things further, it seems I can't save Word docs as JPEG. Maybe Ariz can't either. Any more ideas?
Attachment

Attachments: untitled.GIF (93.5k)

Answer
5/23/05 10:25 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
I had the same problems in the beginning.

For me the problem was that, in paint, when I tried to save the image and I chose 'save', the only options I had were the bmp-options. Just under 'save' there is the option 'save as...'. When I choose that option, I am given the options chef shows you in the image below.

I really do hope that you solve this problem, we are all anxious for the image now emoticon emoticon

Maarten

Answer
5/24/05 7:38 AM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="chefmomster2"]PS To complicate things further, it seems I can't save Word docs as JPEG.

That's because word-documents aren't images, but (as the name already suggests) documents.

Answer
5/24/05 12:44 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Some older versions of paint just won't save pictures in .jpg or .gif format :cry:

Well, that won't stop us. Here's the picture emoticon

Now we just need someone who can point out what the next step is to solve this one!

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: 21100.gif (35.0k)

Answer
5/24/05 2:45 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="Jeltje"]
Now we just need someone who can point out what the next step is to solve this one!

Jelga

Well first of all, as the title of the puzzle already suggests emoticon : please start again!!
There are some major errors in the image Jelga shows.

Second, I will be very elaborate with this one, so that it will be very clear how to tackle this puzzle (and many more on the site). The problem is that I can only use 2 attachments in the same post, so I am going to spread this one over 2 posts. emoticon

Look at the first screenshot I made (start again01)

I will explain what I did: I filled in all the easy blocks, and then, from the top and from the right, I added x's and o's. The x's are places only black can go, the o's are places only white can go. We will continue from the right and go on to screenshot 2.

With combining the horizontal and vertical clues I managed to put some backgroundcolour in, and then with the same method as before, I put some x's and o's in the grid. On to screenshot 3 (and the next post!!)emoticon
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: start again01.GIF (122.9k), start again02.GIF (123.0k)

Answer
5/24/05 2:51 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Again combining horizontal and vertical clues, again filling in some background, and now we have a start!!
In column 28 there has to be one white, and as you can see, it can only go into 1 spot. From there on you can fill in some more, which will lead us to screenshot 4.

As you can see, there are some blocks filled in, and from the top I started to use the x's and o's again. Now look at the third row, there has to be a white, and it can only go on one place. I think you will understand the method I used by now, so I am going to leave the rest of the puzzle to the solvers (wouldn't want to spoil all of the fun :twisted: )

I hope I was clear enough with this, good luck with the rest of the puzzle!!!

Maarten
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: start again03.GIF (123.3k), start again04.GIF (122.0k)

Answer
5/24/05 9:07 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Thank you, Maarten, you really are a wizzard. I'm
going back to tackle this again and I'll let you know how I'm doing.
emoticon

Answer
5/24/05 10:33 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
I got it and one more section like it. I'm working on
a third one that has all those squiggles too.

Thank you for teaching me your technique. One question
tho, how do you get the X's? I know how to mark with
the O's, but????

Answer
5/24/05 11:06 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="ArizGal"]

how do you get the X's?????

If you know how to get the o's, you are only a tiny step away from the x's emoticon
o = right click
x = middle click
with left click you delete the x or o.

Good luck with the rest, I'm glad I have been of some help to you emoticon

Maarten

Answer
5/25/05 1:44 AM as a reply to ArizGal.
Once again I have antiquated equipment - only a two button mouse :cry:

Maarten, I have one more segment that I am stuck on in this puzzle. I will ask Jeltje to upload it for me
and maybe we can get this finished!!! Whew, what a tough one.

Answer
5/25/05 4:04 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
The picture of the other puzzle (21096) gave me some trouble too :? , but I think this is what it would be like. Now lets see which wizzard will offer some help this time! emoticon

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: 21096.jpg (86.4k)

Answer
5/25/05 5:03 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
This is for help with 21096. I'm assuming you got the other ones.

The picture shows the last two rows. 'o's are cells which must be black. 'x's are cells which must be white. You can see in the picture that for the row clues that end in black2 black2 the cells that are circled in red must be white.

Hey, by the way, did you ever finish Corn? I must say I have not been challenged like that in quite some time!
Attachment

Attachments: Help.jpg (9.8k)

Answer
5/25/05 5:47 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="wiggles"]Hey, by the way, did you ever finish Corn? I must say I have not been challenged like that in quite some time!
No, I didn't, not yet... I did find a lot more clues thanks to your help, but right now it's on my list of puzzles to solve one day, next to Run and the lost Jaguar. But wouldn't it be boring if there weren't any challenges left! :laughing6:

Thanks again, Wiggles!

Jelga

Answer
5/25/05 6:00 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
[quote="Jeltje"]Now lets see which wizzard will offer some help this time! emoticon

Jelga

Here we go again emoticon

First screenshot I added o's and x's (I use the reverse from wiggles, so O where only white can go, and X where only black can go) Now look at the 2nd row from the bottom. There have to be two blocks with 2 blacks. The last one can only go completely on the right, and there is only one space where the other one can go. If you look at screenshot 2, I filled in some more, just by simple deduction.

The rest is up to you Arizgal, good luck :!:
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: start again01.gif (43.5k), start again02.gif (41.9k)

Answer
5/26/05 3:04 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Jelga,
I'm sorry, but the one you uploaded this time is the same one as last time. I was able to finish it and all the other similar ones. Maybe I made a mistake with what I e-mailed you :-( I will send a new e-mail with the one last remaining segment of this puzzle.

If you haven't done this one yet, it is fun and funny.

Thanks again for your help.
Sheryl (ArizGal - I'm from the state of Arizona in USA)

Answer
5/26/05 3:55 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Well, the two solved here are different puzzles for sure (althought they do look very much alike), but here is another one. It won't be hard to point out some of the mistakes, the question is what to do without starting all over? :roll:

[quote="ArizGal"]If you haven't done this one yet, it is fun and funny.
Oh, I did solve it and I loved it! It is very funny indeed emoticon

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: 21090.gif (20.2k)

Answer
5/26/05 6:07 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Jelga,
You are too quick for me. I did go back and start again and I just sent you what I think is a better start, I hope. But I am back to the upper corner
again and stuck. I know I am being such a pest, but I am soooo close to having this finished.
Sheryl

Answer
5/26/05 6:31 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Well, I had a look at this one right away and I think you missed a '3'. I haven't checked on everything else, but I'm not sure about those whites you already filled in. They make the top two rows unsolvable...

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make it :hello:

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: 21090.jpg (80.5k)

Answer
5/26/05 7:12 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Thank you so much everyone, but especially Jelga and Wizzard. I finally finished it. Wow, what a challenge, but I loved the puzzle so much I just had to finish it.

Answer
5/26/05 9:47 PM as a reply to ArizGal.
Funny that someone refers to me as 'wizzard' emoticon
In real life I am far from that 8) but I am glad I was of some help to you (and maybe to others who had the same problems as you, Sherryl). The only thing you have to do now is buy yourself a simple 3-button mouse, and you are on your way to solving the more challenging ones like this one on your own.

Maarten/Dreamtheater/(part-time) Wizzard

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.