« Back to iGridd Applet

One More Remark

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
One More Remark
Answer
1/22/07 12:37 PM
One more remark on behalf of the new iGrid applet.

The categorization of triddlers to groups like we see in griddlers is all right, but I think it should be revised... It is not always appropriate. Example? I have solved today the #1503 triddler. It is in the black and white category, but the foreground is black and background yellow - that is no black and white...

GICaesar

Re: One More Remark
Answer
1/22/07 4:07 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
in the griddlers-segment it`s the same:
black and white just means only 2 colors.

Answer
1/24/07 4:20 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
Well if I read black and white I expect black and white... If it was black on yellow why does it not belong to colored triddlers...

Answer
1/24/07 7:11 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
Two coloured puzzles were called "black&whites" already in old applet. And it isn't only with triddlers, it is the same with griddlers too. That's only because most of them are and the name has stayed without anyone really paying any attention to it. Doesn't bother me at least. And puzzle belonging to coloured puzzles means that it has three or more colours.

Answer
1/25/07 9:38 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
As you wish it. I have solved hundreds of griddlers in the old applet. When I opened black&white category, I was sure to find black and white puzzles there. And in the old applet, there was no categorisation of triddlers - so - it bothers me quite a bit. You remember the old televisions? They called the black and white, because the picture was grayscale. If I'd accept this, then I could say I had a color TV 40 years ago!

Next - I have found today something that can be very annoying. It's both in griddlers as triddlers in the new applet. As you solve the puzzle, correctly filled lines become marked with a small green sign near the clue area. You save the puzzle being solved. Then when you load it to continue solving, the green markings like to disappear. I have spent a lot of time checking the lines (or columns) if I used the proper color - and still, the lines/columns were not marked with green as properly filled. That drove me crazy. I had to make an error in the solved areas and then correct it again to make the applet to mark the solved areas again as properly filled. An error?

GICaesar

Answer
1/25/07 10:51 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
ElinaMaria is right, there have been like blue and green puzzles in the Black&White category from the date it was created, check for instance Griddler 5301.

The naming of the puzzles isn't really about colors, it's about the number of colors. A Black and White puzzle will have two colors only, even if they are purple and orange. If you prefer them to be black and white, you can change the colors, the logic of solving stays the same.

A colored puzzle can be designed in 5 different shades of grey. You can change them in any color of the rainbow, it won't matter for the way it's solved. So if anything might be wrong, it would be the technical names, not the categorization. And the names that are chosen is how people talk about them. You don't say 'I like 2-colored puzzles', you talk about B&W puzzles and everyone knows what you mean.

As for the problem with the disappearing green lights, the problem is known for Triddlers and is on the list of bugs to fix. It happened once to me in the past week with Griddlers too. Restarting the applet fixed it, I probably had been solving too long.

Jelga

Answer
1/26/07 5:56 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="Jeltje"]A Black and White puzzle will have two colors only, even if they are purple and orange. If you prefer them to be black and white, you can change the colors, the logic of solving stays the same.
Jelga

Not so. A black and white puzzle might have two colors only for sure, but if they will be purple and orange, it is not black and white puzzle - taken colors as the author used them. If we would approach it this way, the colors would have no sense, since - yes, they may be changed. Speaking of colors we should thus refer to colors that the author used to create the puzzle, because changing them we do only in order to ease the eyes the solving. Anyway, black and white are colors too, so black and white puzzles are of course colored puzzles :? Frustrating? Not at all. All that is just a matter of the term used. Let us agree upon black and white be black and white. Would that be not the most logical thing we could do? emoticon

Answer
1/26/07 8:59 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="GICaesar"]All that is just a matter of the term used. Let us agree upon black and white be black and white. Would that be not the most logical thing we could do?

i think the most logical way is to call them 2colored.
because its not important which color, but how many colors make a difference in the solving strategie. the 2colored or b+w are differnt in solving than the more colored ones.
so maybe a songtext from king of pop (i´m not a fan!) : "no matter if your black or white", and a little more tolerance ... emoticon

Answer
1/26/07 11:00 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="bullfrosch"]and a little more tolerance ... emoticon

Now, that is a little bit exaggerated, is it not? But of course, I am so intolerant, that I dare to call black things black and white things white... 8)

Answer
1/27/07 11:56 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
I am thinking on people with colour-blindness. For them are two-colourpuzzles always in one way or another black-and whitepuzzles. So let it be.
leo02

Answer
1/28/07 1:05 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
Which brings up another little literal quirk. The "save" icon in the new iGrid looks to be one of those 3 1/2 inch disks. As I don't have to insert one into my computer in order to save a puzzle this must be happening somewhere else.

I fear for poor Hagit's sanity and health for having to insert a disk into some computer somewhere in order to save my -- and thousands of other's -- puzzles at the saver's own whim. I would be willing to take a shift or two to ease some of the burden.

Just please don't tell me that the revenue raised by the subscribtion fees is going to pay for outsourcing this saving chore. In no way do I want to support third-world sweatshops and would have to ask for my money back.

emoticon Sean

Answer
1/28/07 1:30 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="GICaesar"]Next - I have found today something that can be very annoying. It's both in griddlers as triddlers in the new applet. As you solve the puzzle, correctly filled lines become marked with a small green sign near the clue area. You save the puzzle being solved. Then when you load it to continue solving, the green markings like to disappear. I have spent a lot of time checking the lines (or columns) if I used the proper color - and still, the lines/columns were not marked with green as properly filled. That drove me crazy. I had to make an error in the solved areas and then correct it again to make the applet to mark the solved areas again as properly filled. An error?
GICaesar
The bug in Triddlers is fixed. If you save a puzzle with Green/Red lights, when calling the save record later - the green/red lights are there.

Griddlers never had this bug. However, if you use the applet for long hours while your computer runs other applications in the background, or if your computer is not the fastest one - it may happen. Closing and re-opening the browser to clear the memory will do the work.

Enjoy!
Hagit

Answer
1/28/07 9:28 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="FredTheYounger"]

Just please don't tell me that the revenue raised by the subscribtion fees is going to pay for outsourcing this saving chore. In no way do I want to support third-world sweatshops and would have to ask for my money back.

emoticon Sean

The revenue raised so high that we bought five new FD drives so the process of saving is now much easier and faster. Please think of it when you press save button.

Answer
1/28/07 2:05 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
[quote="Ra100"]The revenue raised so high that we bought five new FD drives so the process of saving is now much easier and faster. Please think of it when you press save button.

Do I not get something or do you realy save puzzles on floppy disk drives??? FD(D) usualy means floppy disk drive...

Answer
1/29/07 12:11 AM as a reply to GICaesar.

The revenue raised so high that we bought five new FD drives so the process of saving is now much easier and faster. Please think of it when you press save button.

You know, I have noticed a more rapid response in saving. Used to be that I'd set the puzzle on pause then save. No longer find that necessary. One billion thanks for all of your work.

Best,
Sean

ps: It is kind of fun, though, to envision a mess of people with a mess of those three-and-a-half inchers frantically inserting them into machines so things can be saved. Perhaps my imagination is over-active (or my sense of humor utterly cruel).

Answer
1/29/07 7:59 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
Sitting here giggling enjoying the byplay...and pondering the fact that black and white are the same "color". (Test: Go in a darkroom and shine a true-white light on anything black. emoticon )

When I first enrolled in an exchange of "black & white" patterned art materials I didn't understand that shades of gray were not included emoticon B&W means so many different things.... :twisted:

Answer
2/3/07 3:18 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
Oh no! Hagit, what will you do? Shall we start buying them up them for you? I have a few office supply stores nearby and I know where I can rent a storage shed for a small amount. Climate-controlled, so as to keep the little beauties in tip-top shape.

The floppy disk fades from memory
By Jose Antonio Vargas
The Washington Post

The last time I saw Floppy was at the library of Crittenden Middle School in Mountain View, Calif. It was an early spring morning in 1996. And blue, square, 3 1/2-inch Floppy — tired from a late night of writing and rewriting — was his usual humble, upbeat, irreplaceable self.

No more.

This week PC World, one of the largest computer retailers in Europe, announced it will stop selling floppy disks once its existing stock is sold. Dell Computer Corp. stopped including floppy drives in its desktop computers four years ago. Walk into any high school today and you're more likely to see a 15-year-old listening to her cassette player — it's a retro thing — than toting a floppy disk storing her 10-page, doubled-spaced, annotated book report.

Floppy's gone, an artifact of that time back in the day when we called the new, exciting, mysterious creation of the Internet the World Wide Web.

As Bryan Magrath, commercial director of PC World, told Britain's Daily Telegraph: “The sound of a computer's floppy disk drive will be as closely associated with 20th-century computing as the sound of a computer dialing into the Internet.”

It's the same old story told again and again, the march of technology and time. Remember when you had a pager?

In 1998?

Floppy was born way before that, in 1971, and underwent various makeovers in the '70s.

The first time I saw Floppy he was really floppy, a 5 1/4 -inch iteration of plastic with a doughnut hole in the middle. That thing really flopped — as in you could wave it and watch it move.

But it wasn't until the early 1980s, when personal computers became more common, that Floppy took off. He was ubiquitous. That 3 1/2-inch Floppy was where I kept my WordPerfect documents, my Quattro Pro spreadsheets.

Then, of course, the CD-ROM came. And these days you can store your MP3s, video files, Web pages, anything on the Web, in a CD or a USB thumb drive. Goodbye, Floppy.

Oh, you can visit a few, probably stored in the same place as other relics, the eight-track and VHS. It will be next to the Apple IIc, sitting atop your Super NES.

“It's weird. It's dead and it isn't, “ says 57-year-old Tom Persky of Floppydisk.com, a one-stop shop where you can buy floppies and get your floppy files transferred to CDs, among other things.

There are 2 million floppies in his office in Orange County, Calif., he says, and business is strong. Someone, he says, is always finding a floppy disk that needs transferring.

See, Faulkner had it right. The past is always with us — on Floppy.

Answer
2/4/07 4:11 AM as a reply to GICaesar.
Well, I remember Rasto to write about 5 new floppy drives that had to be bought to store puzzles... That evokes the most diverse feelings in me, most of all emoticon and :shock: ... Certainly this was not the reason for the 40 bucks that a years subscription to iGrid is??? A floppy drive in Slovakia is about 10 bucks... Buying several terrabytes HD fields would be more proper reason anyway emoticon

GICaesar

Answer
2/21/07 11:28 PM as a reply to GICaesar.
YAY!!!
Look what I found today, cleaning my office. A box full of them, most of them brand new! :toothy8: Rasto, will you be coming this way again soon or should I send them directly to Hagit by mail?

There's old software on some, do you want me to format them beforehand?

Jelga
Attachment

Attachments: for hagit.jpg (135.4k)

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.