« Back to iGridd Applet

Sample looks nice, but for 40$ a year!?!

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Re: Sample looks nice, but for 40$ a year!?!
Answer
1/30/07 11:19 PM as a reply to nupanick.
Hi nupanic,

If you solve only a few puzzles per year in this site, you might consider 40$ too expensive, that's quite understandable. But you don't need to pay at all, you can continue solving with the old program.

As for paying with Paypal - it's safe and the moment your payment is done, you'll see the confirmation on the donation page. Of course it's a matter of trusting the creators of the site that you'll get access to the applet once the payment is done, but every way of paying would be like that. Unless you would have come to Antwerp yesterday and payed Rasto in cash of course. emoticon

Enjoy solving!

Jelga

At 40$ a year to use the new website, I'd be paying about 1$ every time I log in! :x I also don't want to pay for content I can't keep. I WOULD be able to afford 15$ a year, or a 40$ fee to become a permanent member. I'm with Scott McCloud, too (www.scottmccloud.com), in that I would be happiest to pay a small amount to download a fully-functional version of the applet, and then pay extra for new versions. I would cancel, however, if after a year (less than 10% of it griddlers-related) I could not use the applet at all. Also, I have become discouraged from doing anything with PayPal because there's no way to make sure you actually get what you pay for, and I don't want an honor-system agreement with a guy I've never met!
QUESTION: If I did only one griddler a week for one year, and payed 25 cents for each one, how much money would the WebMaster get, as opposed to if I did the same number of griddlers at one-a-day and bought a subscription long enough to cover it?

Answer
1/31/07 9:42 AM as a reply to nupanick.
$40 for a year works out to just over $3 a month emoticon
That is about the same price as one coffee a month, and griddlers are more fun emoticon and also addictive!

Answer
1/31/07 11:16 AM as a reply to nupanick.
You're right, 40$ is not a lot seen over a whole year. But all these small prices you pay for this and that sum together to a lot. Paying a dollar here for this and some more for that, going to the movies, buying a CD or a DVD - each thing demands only a small amount, but (in Germany we say so) "Kleinvieh macht auch Mist", which directly translated means that each small animal makes its own small heap of sh*t. For me as a student, it was always nice to get this cool game all for free, without advertising, and I think the new applet makes it even more fun, but it's not affordable, I'm sorry. Wouldn't it be possible to offer an applet also using ads, for a lower price?

Answer
1/31/07 12:59 PM as a reply to nupanick.
I understand for some that $40 is a lot to pay, but please, please, please do not put ads on your site. It is a joy to solve the puzzles in peace without an ad gyrating and pulsating on the page. :shock:

Answer
1/31/07 1:07 PM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="nupanick"]I WOULD be able to afford...
[quote="Nico"]Wouldn't it be possible to offer an applet... for a lower price?

Users with special needs (partially-time solvers, kids, students, families) - please contact us directly: team@griddlers.net
Together with you we will find the best plan for your needs.

Hagit

Answer
1/31/07 1:38 PM as a reply to nupanick.
Whether $40 is a lot is, indeed, relative to ones status. That said, I find myself solving a good number of griddlers without the applet. The applet provides gizmos which are helpful to people who do a LOT of solving.

If one is logging on 40 times a year -- as opposed to my probable 600 :oops: -- it is probably not worth it. Kind of like buying a HumVee when all one really needs is transportation to church on Sundays.

Before the applet was introduced Griddlers was a fantastic site where one could solve thousands of puzzles for free. It STILL is! It was the wishful sighs of the addicts who spend hundreds of hours at the site which led to its development. Charging for it seems to me to be an equitiable users fee.

I haven't put much thinking into the per-use or paypal aspect, but I am wary of transaction costs. Any time money changes hands there are incidental and hidden costs associated with the transaction: PayPal's fees; accounting for money received; ensuring delivery of the proper good, etc. Mistrustful of electronic transfers, as instructed I left my $40 in Thai Bhat in a Wenchel's doughnut bag at the agreed upon bridge in Amsterdam at 2:34 am on Wednesday, 10 January. My transaction costs (flight to Amsterdam, incidentals): $1,428. Ouch.

Sean

Answer
1/31/07 5:12 PM as a reply to nupanick.
I just want to say Sean you always put a smile on my face when I read your comments in the forum. Thank you so much for that emoticon

Answer
1/31/07 10:13 PM as a reply to nupanick.
Come to think of it, 40$ a year is just under the 5$ a week monthly price. :idea: Maybe I'll get a one month subscription to see if it would be worth once-a-week use, and if not, I can just use the two-saves total free version. If I only use it once a week, having only two save slots wouldn't hinder me anyway. emoticon Come to think of it, I should probably finish up a few of my saved puzzles, just in case emoticon .

Answer
2/5/07 2:03 PM as a reply to nupanick.
For me the choice is quite simple .. there is no choice as I simply can't afford to pay .. I'm disabled and on a very low income .. so I must put my bills, food, clothing, heating etc first .. there is rarely anything left at the end of each month, any month ... so I can't justify paying for something that I still could get for free .. and if the free choice were ever to finish then that would end my Griddlers membership too :?

So for me there is no real choice other than to continue with the free version .. I have around 16 or so Griddlers saved .. and I seem to be permanently stuck with them .. so no matter how many times I try to finish them I can't .. although I do keep trying .. or that is I will until they disappear when the new '2 only' ruling starts .. and truly if I could finish them I would have done so long ago ..

Answer
2/18/07 8:34 AM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="patootie"]I have around 16 or so Griddlers saved .. and I seem to be permanently stuck with them .. so no matter how many times I try to finish them I can't .. although I do keep trying .. or that is I will until they disappear when the new '2 only' ruling starts .. and truly if I could finish them I would have done so long ago ..

If you want to continue to try and solve the saved griddlers why not make a note of their ID number or the name of them. Then once they get deleted you will still be able to find them and solve them eventually.

Answer
2/18/07 6:34 PM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="devilish"]If you want to continue to try and solve the saved griddlers why not make a note of their ID number or the name of them. Then once they get deleted you will still be able to find them and solve them eventually.
The saved records will not be deleted. They will stay saved until you solve the puzzles or delete the records yourself. But if you have more than 2 saved puzzles, when you click on the SAVE button it won't save the puzzle.
Hagit

Answer
2/24/07 9:55 AM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="hagitm"]
The saved records will not be deleted. They will stay saved until you solve the puzzles or delete the records yourself. But if you have more than 2 saved puzzles, when you click on the SAVE button it won't save the puzzle.
Hagit

This was just a huge sigh of relief from me, Hagit! I was panicking how will I manage to solve them all i nthe next few days.

I've only discovered griddlers few months ago and had since been seriously addicted. I love the site, love the challange and love the great help I've gotten... but don't think I am prepared to pay a monthly fee to use the site. I'm sure my husband will be absolutelly trilled when I tell him that as they will be seeing much more of me at home now, considering I can only work on two puzzles at a time (oh may be I'll print them half solved and file them in a folder, and re-create them when I am ready to do them again! emoticon)

Answer
2/24/07 10:05 AM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="seaflower"](oh may be I'll print them half solved and file them in a folder, and re-create them when I am ready to do them again! emoticon)

You can print them only if you have subscribed. emoticon

Elina

Answer
2/24/07 10:10 AM as a reply to nupanick.
[quote="ElinaMaria"]You can print them only if you have subscribed. emoticon
There is more than one way to print them emoticon And I love a challenge emoticon emoticon

anyway, great site! and lovely people around!

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.