Java Problems

Class Format Error - bad magic number!

Toggle
Class Format Error - bad magic number!
Answer
12/3/06 11:31 PM
I've just come back after months away and I can't load any puzzles.

I'm just getting a message on the page, instead of the puzzle -
java.lang.ClassFormatError: sk/ra100/pbn/GriddlersApplet(Bad magic number)

The java console error is (twice) -
Error: elem has no properties
Source File: http://www.griddlers.net/scripts/rewrite_comment.js
Line: 2
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Class Format Error - bad magic number!
Answer
12/3/06 11:37 PM as a reply to Gail Baker.
Hi bluebear,

There have been some background changes to the site, it might mean your Java needs updating. Could you try this and please tell us if it helped?

Jelga
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/06 12:17 AM as a reply to Gail Baker.
The update is for MacOS X.4 Tiger and I'm using X.2 Jaguar, so it doesn't look like I can update. emoticon
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/06 12:24 AM as a reply to Gail Baker.
Ah, a fellow Mac user. I must admit Mac's and Griddlers don't go together very well. :? Which browser are you using? Does it help to switch to another one or do you get the same error then?

Jelga
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/06 12:26 AM as a reply to Gail Baker.
Sorry, I just noticed the separate Mac section. Someone posted the same problem in a thread <java error message> and never got a fix, so I guess that's it -- it's not solvable unless I buy the new OS so that I can update my JRE.

Thanks anyway.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/06 12:34 AM as a reply to Gail Baker.
Whoa, halt the violins -- it's apparently not a Java problem because the puzzles work fine with Internet Explorer (unfortunately I don't but I guess I could put up with it just to use this site!).

Funny it didn't work with Mozilla!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/06 11:59 AM as a reply to Gail Baker.
Hi,

Thanks for telling us about the solution, I'm glad to hear you found one. The problem is mostly to blame on having an old version of Java, it's just that different browsers have different ways of coping with it. The site uses some advanced features of the newest Java and these aren't always compatable with old versions.

For Windows users that's not a problem, new versions of Java are available for free. Unfortunately for the Mac users, the new Java versions are developed for the most recent Mac OSX systems only, so you'll need to upgrade your OS to solve this. I'm afraid this problem will become only worse with future updates.

But for now, you are able to play again emoticon

Jelga
0 (0 Votes)