« Back to Java Problems

Java Load of Puzzle Looping

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Java Load of Puzzle Looping
Answer
9/24/08 10:55 PM
This problem started with the latest version of Java (1.6.0_10-rc) and happens on both IE 7.0 and Google Chrome.

When you click on the solve button, and the new grey box appears, it keeps refreshing. The number of times it refreshes has to do with the size of the puzzle. If one then changes the size of the window, it will go through the refresh process again. On a mid-sized puzzle (30x30) one can waste 30 seconds or so before it settles down.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

RE: Java Load of Puzzle Looping
Answer
9/25/08 6:59 AM as a reply to Hot_Mama.
This update was not officially launched. It was a Java patch to fix a bug Google Chrome has with Java. More about it in here.
You'll need to uninstall this update.

Hagit

Answer
9/25/08 12:33 PM as a reply to hagitm.
How to uninstall:
Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs
Find the Java update and uninstall it.

If you have a long list of updates and don't know which one to uninstall - go to Java site and install the update manually.

Hagit

Answer
11/2/08 4:17 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I reloaded my Java yesterday as I had problems with chat, I then had the looping problem and also lost the rulers on all but the smallest puzzles. I use Firefox so maybe the update was the problem!

Taking your advice, I uninstalled the last Java update (version 10) and now have no problems at all emoticon

Answer
11/2/08 4:25 PM as a reply to elfmum.
Just thought I would check and, in fact, I have my undefined string problem back in chat now that I have uninstalled the update.

So it is obviously a choice between undefined strings and looping/rulers.

I guess the chat is only once a week so I will keep it as it is.

Answer
11/3/08 9:47 AM as a reply to elfmum.
We already know that the "undefined strings" doesn't affect the ability to chat. So, just ignore it. When you log into the site make sure you use your accurate username (small letters). The site itself accepts your username in any way you submit it. The chat is case sensitive.

Also, check your connection. Using proxy may cause problems. In IE:
Tools --> Internet Options
Select the tab Connections and see if you use a proxy server.

Hagit

Answer
12/18/08 12:23 AM as a reply to hagitm.
I have a bit of the same problem...but I use Chromium, what should I do then?

Answer
12/22/08 2:10 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I uninstalled my Java version completely and downloaded the new one (6.11). Now I have the looping problem; the page refreshes four or five times. How can I get a previous version or eliminate the updates I don't want?

Tanks.

Answer
12/22/08 2:25 PM as a reply to Prisol.
Hi,
There is no need to uninstall Java, version 11 is fine. There is one setting you need to change in you pc to make everything work ok:

Right click on "My Computer" , select "Properties" . Select the tab "Advanced" and click on the button "Environment variabels" .
In the "Environment variables" dialog, section "System variables" (or "User variables" if it is just for you), click the button "New" . Type J2D_D3D into name field and false into value field. While there is a window, click "O.K."

Let us know if this works ok for you!

Jelga

Answer
12/22/08 2:42 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
Thanks a lot, but I couldn't find the ""environment variables" button. I have windows XP and it is in Spanish, moreover. So finally I uninstalled 6.11 and installed an old version Java 6.7. It's working now.

Anyway, thanks again for answering. And so fast!!!

Answer
1/1/09 3:59 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
Jelga,

I made this change exactly as you stated and it did not fix the problem, each puzzle section still refreshes several times and there is no vertical and horizontal key when you place the cursor on a square.

I have 6 different JAVA programs listed in Add/Remove:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03

Java (TM) 6 Update11

Java (TM) 6 Update 3

Java (TM) 6 Update 5

Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

do I have conflicting versions? how else can I cure the problem since the new variable setting didn't work?

thanks for your help

Brent

Answer
1/1/09 1:58 PM as a reply to ssn671.
Remove this one: Java (TM) 6 Update11.
Hagit

Answer
1/2/09 12:54 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Thanks Hagit, that fixed the problems. Normally I like to keep Java updated just for security reasons, but I'll check here for problems first!

Brent

Answer
1/28/09 7:14 PM as a reply to ssn671.
I'm having the looping problem as well and I only have Java 6 version 11 update installed. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Answer
1/28/09 9:05 PM as a reply to lentilman544.
Did you set the "Environment variabels" as described in my message above? It should solve the problem. If it does not, let us know!

Jelga

Answer
1/28/09 11:38 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
I did set the environment variables and it still didn't fix the problem. I also have the yellow exclamation point, but that doesn't bother me as much as the weird loading. Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Answer
1/29/09 8:29 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
I had the same problem, to the degree that the loops didn't stop and the picture never settled but that it froze my browser (happened both with Firefox and IE).
Changing the settings for "system variables" or "user variables" changed nothing about that despite closing the browser and reboot.
The only thing that helped was uninstalling the Java Update 11 and go back to the Update 7 version. But now that I did that, it works fine again.

Answer
2/7/09 11:16 AM as a reply to Rincewind.
I had that problem, too.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.