« Back to Java Problems

No Java, no griddlers

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
No Java, no griddlers
Answer
1/2/12 1:49 AM
I know that this is not your problem, but for the past two weeks, I have been unable to do any puzzles, since I no longer have Java. Is anyone else experiencing this difficulty?

Two weeks ago, I tried to update Java. I had difficulty deleting my old version - even had to use Microsoft FixIt to accomplish it. Now I can't install the new version at all. "The wizard was interrupted before Java(TM) 6 Update 30 (64 bit) could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

Java is aware of the problem, but "The actual root cause of this issue is still under investigation." It is impossible to contact them to find out when the problem will be solved.

So if any of you are thinking about updating Java, FORGET IT! I sure wish I hadn't tried - now I'm puzzle-less!

RE: No Java, no griddlers
Answer
1/2/12 6:51 AM as a reply to prof611.
Hi
it is possible to uninstall Java and install older version from this page http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html .

Answer
1/8/12 8:33 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Thanks Ra100, but I still can't make anything work. I downloaded and installed jdk-6u26-windows-x64.exe successfully. But when I try to open iGridd, it says "You need the latest Java(TM) Runtime Environment." So I guess I have the version of Java that I had before all this, but now it doesn't work either!

Answer
1/29/12 1:19 AM as a reply to prof611.
Got tired of the futility of attempting to install the latest Java, so I gave up. But today, almost 3 weeks later, I tried again, and this time it worked!!!

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think that the people at Java who finally fixed the problem could have let me know.

Answer
1/29/12 7:48 AM as a reply to prof611.
prof611:
the people at Java who finally fixed the problem could have let me know.
Yeah, right! You wished!

I am happy to see you back with us.

Answer
7/29/12 7:08 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Well, it's deja vu all over again! When will I learn NOT to install the latest version of Java?

I installed jre-7u5, and AGAIN I can't do any griddlers. I get an error message saying I need Java Runtime Environment 1.7 u4. When I click to download it, it won't do it, and I can't find a download for it anywhere on the Oracle site.

I also tried putting back jre-6u33, but now trying to solve a griddler gives rise to a similar error message.

So I am again unable to do any puzzles - @#$%#!

Answer
7/29/12 4:51 PM as a reply to prof611.
After a lot of trial & error, I finally am able to get griddlers on the website, but still can't download the Applet. I went back to jre-7u5, and adjusted the security on my Zone Alarm.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.