All About You

Why are we so afraid to share our details?

Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Toggle
Why are we all so afraid to give out our personal details to each other on this site ? Come on folks, we're willing to sit in front of a monitor and actually solve a "5x5 puzzle,And have the nerve to feel challenged by such a thing !Come on folks, how dangerous can we be?. Lighten up Ladies and Gentlemen, it's only a game..........But it'salways more fun if you know your rivals(ha ha ha ) Take care .Elemi
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Why are we so afraid to share our details?
Answer
11/17/03 7:50 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
>Why are we all so afraid to give out our personal details to each other on this site ? Come on folks, we're willing to sit in front of a monitor and actually solve a "5x5 puzzle,And have the nerve to feel challenged by such a thing !Come on folks, how dangerous can we be?. Lighten up Ladies and Gentlemen, it's only a game..........But it'salways more fun if you know your rivals(ha ha ha ) Take care .Elemi

I don't think it's that people are afraid to share their details, it's that people would rather be solving/creating puzzles than socializing. *heh*

-Llyra
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/18/03 3:04 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
I'll tell ya, there's no way I'd ever share my real name or contact info with hundreds of strangers on the internet. You never know who's out there. I'm not saying anyone here is a troll or a stalker, but who's to say someone might not get angry about a comment I make or perhaps really hate the puzzles I put up, and decide to take out their anger by spamming me or something. Plus there are folks whose sole job is to create e-mailing lists, and as such search sites like these to cull addresses. So I might get spam just from having my address listed here.

I'm totally supportive of those who wish to keep their personal information (even to the extent of what country or state they live in) private. I mean, a lot of people make generalizations about folks based on where they live in the world, and I have to respect the person who wants to avoid that sort of generalization about him/herself.

Bottom line is, the internet is the great equalizer. We can all be blank slates here if we want to. I think it's great. )
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/18/03 7:11 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
I have to agree with architectofslee. While I have never found a site more friendly or welcoming to its users, there can be no guarantees made to any of us. I like to include some minimal info in my profile and I enjoy reading what others have to say in theirs, but I do understand and respect the feelings of those who choose to remain totally anonymous. We shouldn't take it personally when some refuse to share these details. They're not accusing us of something diabolical, they're just cautious.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/19/03 12:09 AM as a reply to eleanor millar.
Spammers will not bother to get your email addresses in Griddlers. For that they need to register, login, and visit each solver's profile page. Clicking on half of the list in the right side of this screen (logged on users) is enough to reveal that the profiles don't show the email addresses because you have the option to hide it.

This is too much work for so poor an output.

Filling in the profile is optional, of course, yet, because Griddlers is an international site by giving away some of your details you may find interesting people from the other side of the globe, or be surprised to discover that someone you know by the handle 123xyz actually lives next to you, door to door that is (this did happen in Griddlers).

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/20/03 8:27 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
Sorry, Hagit, I agree, it's too hard for spammers to get info from this site (though I do know a couple people in that industry, and I think they wouldn't hesitate to stoop so low if they thought there was less effort involved).

My point is just that, living and working in Silicon Valley, it's been heavily impressed upon me that it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to personal data and the internet.

--aos
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/21/03 1:45 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
I like to see people's profiles. What I like is to know is gender, age group and country of origin.

I didn't give my e-mail on the profile, for the "just to be safe" reason. people can (and some do) contact me through the massage box on this site, and I always answer. I often contact people that way (and through the chat room, of course)

And, don't forget that nice feature the few lines of massage that everyone can use to say just about anything. This is the most charming part about the profile, becouse it can tell you a little something about the person. Check out mine, for example -)

About age group some people don't like to reveal their age. The axact age doesn't interest me. I'm just curious, when I chat with someone, to know if the person is a child, a young adult, middle age, etc.

Thanks for listening
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/23/03 3:11 AM as a reply to eleanor millar.
>>Why are we all so afraid to give out our personal details to each other on this site ? Come on folks, we're willing to sit in front of a monitor and actually solve a "5x5 puzzle,And have the nerve to feel challenged by such a thing !Come on folks, how dangerous can we be?. Lighten up Ladies and Gentlemen, it's only a game..........But it'salways more fun if you know your rivals(ha ha ha ) Take care .Elemi
>
>I don't think it's that people are afraid to share their details, it's that people would rather be solving/creating puzzles than socializing. *heh*
>
>-Llyra

I've had a really bad experience with someone I met on the internet who I thought was safe. I hope everyone takes precautions.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/03 5:00 AM as a reply to eleanor millar.
>who I thought was safe

I'm not sure about correctness of this construction, are you sure about it?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/03 11:05 PM as a reply to eleanor millar.
>I'm not sure about correctness of this construction, are you sure about it?

Griddlers is a multilingual site. 2/3 of the solvers use any other section(from Slovak to French) and not the English one. Since English is not the majority mother tongue - typos, misspelling, mistakes, errors, incorrectness, etc are okay. -)

hagitm
0 (0 Votes)

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.