triddlers and unclear numbering

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
triddlers and unclear numbering
Answer
5/17/11 3:01 AM
All,

I'm trying to do triddlers, but am having a lot of difficulty on the larger puzzles because it is often not clear exactly how many numbers are in each row (the double digits get obscured by overlapping).

I understand the limitations of the format (that there often isn't enough space) but it would be great if - on mouseover of any particular cell - the numbers on the three rows would be displayed up on top of the screen..

Anyways, this (along with keybindings emoticon ) would make the larger grids definitely more playable.. And ways around this difficulty would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks much,

Ed

RE: triddlers and unclear numbering
Answer
5/19/11 7:23 AM as a reply to horos22.
The thing with triddlers is that scrolling is a necessary evil when it comes to larger and/or harder puzzles. If your eyesight isn't hindered, I suggest using a larger resolution so you can open the window fully and have the clues appear larger. This usually exposes more clues without having to minimize to see the numbers as well as requiring less scrolling.

I doubt there will ever be clue shorthands like with griddlers as I believe the programming is complicated. It would take quite a while to load all 3 rows even if 2 are short and 1 is long, it becomes unnecessary. Usually, two clue sets are needed for most solving aspects.

I think the best thing for most of these puzzles is an option to have clues marked off automatically as the puzzle is being solved. I say option because for larger or harder puzzles it can be essential but smaller puzzles are usually easy enough. Having to mark off the clues manually as solving can create misclicks. Of course things like questionable middle clues and clue visibility after being marked out might be hard to program.

If you didn't know, you can left and right click the clues to set the color to that mouse click. To reset to the back ground color just hit 1 or shift+1 for left click or right click, respectively or use the palette set in the upper left of the solving window.

Answer
5/20/11 9:16 PM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
cosmic,

The problem isn't so much in the size of the clues, its in the graphic presentation.

For example, the clue may suggest 27 red squares are in a row, but only the 2 is fully visible (the 7 showing up partially, looking like a : with the right part of the number removed.

What I was suggesting shouldn't be too difficult - merely, on mouseover (and hopefully keyover) putting the text of the clues on the top bar, perhaps delimited by a ','. This would allow a totally unambiguous presentation of the clues. Having the clues be the same color would be nice but not necessary.

Speaking about changes to the code, is it possible to get the source used in griddlers and triddlers? I'd like to play around with it myself, see what I could do..

Ed

Answer
5/21/11 8:51 AM as a reply to horos22.
I can guess what your problem is but I have not been able to recreate it. Every double set clue, from 11 to 83, for example, should be visible. I have never seen a clue numbering get cut off, whether a triddler or griddler. The clue box should have a set size and the thickest double numbers, say 77, should fit in that square, no matter the size.

I'm not sure but you might have a problem with Java? Can't really say more because I'm not versed in computer programs and programming. You can always send a message to hagitm through the Message Box, in case she doesn't see this.

Answer
5/21/11 9:31 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
The problem with the double clues overlapping happens when you try to solve Triddlers on a Mac. It used to be completely impossible to solve them before with a Mac and Griddlers wasn't very nice either, the mouse keys never worked the way they were supposed to. It is one of the reasons I never abandoned my pc, even with a great G5 standing next to it (or at least, it was considered great when I bought it).

Horos22, I know Ra100 (the programmer of this site) won't easily share his source code with anyone. But who knows, you might provide him with some usefull tips anyway!

Have fun solving,

Jelga

Answer
5/23/11 7:47 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
Jeltje:

Horos22, I know Ra100 (the programmer of this site) won't easily share his source code with anyone. But who knows, you might provide him with some usefull tips anyway!

Have fun solving,

Jelga

Jelga,

I have no problem with giving Ra100 'useful tips' on improving the site as long as him or her is responsive to actually implementing them..

For example, I'd like to have key bindings for movement, and have a pretty good idea on how to implement this easily (ie: pressing certain keys 'synonyms' for mouse cursor movement - ie: when the up arrow gets depressed, move the mouse x number of pixels up the y axis).

This would be awesome, but such suggestions are only useful if Ra100 actually listens..

So - what's the best way to get a hold of Ra100? Does he/she have an IM handle?

Ed

Answer
5/23/11 8:23 PM as a reply to horos22.
Rasto reads this part of the forum on a regular basis, but I forwarded your offer to help to him as well. He'll get in touch with you if he has time!

Answer
5/26/11 8:24 AM as a reply to horos22.
The problem with the double digits is known, as Jelga explained. It is on our todo list, but quite down the list because we do those things by priority. Triddlers activity is ~10% of the site. Users who solve triddlers on Macs are about the same percentage. This may explain why it isn't at the top of our list.

I am not sure, but maybe this issue was resolved on the iGridd applet. It is worth to take a look.

Hagit

Answer
5/27/11 12:16 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Hagit,

I appreciate that you guys are aware of it, and planning on doing something about it, but I was hoping that you guys might have a little more open a stance on things (ie: letting others fix issues they feel are important if they have the time and inclination, and submit patches to you guys for review)

I'm a developer, and things go a *lot* faster implementation-wise IMO if developers are allowed to 'itch what they want to scratch' and play around with the source code. Personally, I've tried to solve both triddlers and griddlers, and for me, the interface is not as optimal as I'd like it to be. Frankly, I can't even solve the larger triddlers because of the impreciseness of the mouse controls and the numbering issue.

I'd like to rectify those issues, if possible.. Definitely for triddlers and perhaps for griddlers...

Ed

Answer
8/9/11 3:00 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Like horos22, I would be available to help, especially with improving the triddlers interface (that's what I mostly do). After the problem with double-digit numbers, I guess adding a pause button would really be needed.

Regards,
unknown

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.