RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests jingai 8/30/09 8:34 PM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests Moonsun6 8/31/09 4:59 AM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests luweewu 8/31/09 8:23 AM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests tenten_k 8/31/09 8:56 AM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests Corinna 8/31/09 12:34 PM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests tlym 8/31/09 10:28 PM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests MomWiz 9/1/09 5:44 AM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests elfmum 9/1/09 8:57 AM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests galocha2003 9/1/09 8:58 PM
RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests harmless_52 9/2/09 6:36 AM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests petersong 9/2/09 12:25 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests meisti 9/2/09 12:42 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests ACW 9/2/09 5:42 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests nzangelita 9/3/09 1:31 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests hagitm 9/3/09 9:48 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests sundance 9/4/09 1:28 AM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests philana 9/4/09 2:54 AM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests dcroebuck 9/4/09 10:11 PM
RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests hagitm 9/5/09 11:35 PM
After completing a tournament we always invite everyone to tell us if they have special requests or new ideas for the next G-Match. Here are some ideas we came up with. Let us know what you think.

Passwords:
Instead of having the passwords in the chat's header, we thought to place them in the site's pages. Every week the password will be in another page of the site. The directions to find the pages will be given in the chat's header.
For example: This week's password is in Community --> Dictionary
You will need to go to the Dictionary page and grab the password from there. Click to view an example.

We can also use the puzzles descriptions as passwords. Again, the directions will be given in the chat's header.
For example:
This week's password is Griddler #83413 description
This week's password is Triddler #7222 description

Like always, the chat's header will be revealed 5 minutes before the G-Match. This will give you enough time to find the password.

Puzzles:
How about having quick rounds? Like - only 4 or 5 puzzles per match.
If we reduce the number of puzzles, how about having one difficult puzzle? Not those "evil" 3-color billion of points, but a bit above the average G-Match puzzles?

Schedule:
Do you want to have short tournaments? Like - only 12 rounds in even (2, 4, 6...) or uneven (1, 3, 5...) hours?

We can also split the day to two halves and have two tournaments simultaneously: one tournament (12 rounds) with "good hours" for the Americans and another tournament (12 rounds) with "good hours" for the Europeans. However, if we run two tournaments - the time different between every G-Match will be 2 weeks. One week for the Americans, one week for the Europeans. If you like this idea, tell us "where" to split the day, like: 10PM to 10AM GMT for the Americans and 10AM to 10PM GMT for the Europeans.

When:
We want to start the 8th G-Match tournament on Saturday, September 12th. If there are reasons to postpone it, let us know.

Two nay's:
1. There will not be a T-Match.
2. The G-Match is based on the user's attendance and not on the speed of solving. i.e.: The contest is not about solving puzzles faster than any other but about attending as many matches as possible and coming in on time.

Call for Puzzles:
The secret of having good G-Matches is having good puzzles too. Once again we call our authors to collect their muse and submit puzzles for the G-Match. Easy, small, mini-multies. Let your imagination drift. :-)
Thanks in advance!

Share your thoughts and ideas in here.

RE: 8th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests
Answer
8/30/09 4:26 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Hello. I write here my ideas and suggestions. Thank you for letting me doing it and sorry for my english.
Passwords: No change, please. Although I don't say any word in chat, I like to enter the chat once in the week to know the password and "hear" about the other people.
Puzzles: Every idea is a good one. Many kiddlers (as in 7h tournament) is difficult because the match depends on computer or net speed, but four "easy" puzzles and another one more difficult is good. I think the idea must to respect one hour "work". The puzzles of this 7th g-match were more difficult than in 6th, and I often "worked" longer than an hour.
Schedule: Tournaments are so exciting, that shorter tournaments mean more tournaments. "Europeans" or "Americans" hours, I don't mind. I live in Spain, but I prefer the night, when everyone sleeps at home and I can play easily. Split the tournament means two groups of puzzles with tow password?
When: OK, September 12th is good for me.
Thanks again

Answer
8/30/09 5:42 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Hi, thanks for another great tournament... slightly ticked off because the last rounds were during summer holidays and my destination did not have an internet connection... bad planning on my part!

As for a next tournament:

passwords Please don't change anything, it's fun to join the chat, sometimes even say something and finding the password shouldn't be another "puzzle"

puzzles I like the idea of quick rounds, and especially the idea of 1 difficult puzzle. But I agree with ajesus that "1 hours worth of puzzling" is about the maximum I can get away with at home..

time schedule I don't mind "bad hours" - I kinda like the irregularity of it. A shorter tournament would be nice, I kinda lose interest after 7-8 rounds because it becomes a "chore"

planning september 12th sounds fine! bring it on!

Answer
8/30/09 8:34 PM as a reply to Marion68.
Hi, I enjoyed the last tournament and look forward to the next.

Here are my thoughts...

passwords Fine by me as they are

puzzles ParticuIarly liked the quick fire G-match as it was all over pretty quickly. Some puzzles used were way too hard to be rushed IMHO and spoiled the element of fun as it felt more like a slog...especially in the early hours!

Maybe a maximum mid-time of 1 hour should be set per G-match. Is there a program that could guess the mid-time prior to release as I know it's comes from the result times of the solvers?

I wouldn't say no to a 12 part multi as an occasional G-match.

time schedule Fine by me as they are. What time of day gets the largest attendance from your records?

Thanks

Jingai

Answer
8/31/09 4:59 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Thanks for giving us a chance to give input, Hagit. emoticon

My $0.02:

Passwords: I like the passwords as they are. Without them, chats are going to become nearly non-existent. However, if you are feeling pressure to expose us to less-used portions of the site, I would request that you meet us half-way. Ex: putting a look-up funtion right on the front page.

Puzzles: I liked having a variety of types from week to week and during each round. I inevitably fall behind one, and can sometimes catch back up on an easier one. I am a slower solver, so I thoroughly enjoyed Mini Week. It was a nice breather from the stress of trying to solve normal griddlers with a clock ticking in your head the whole time. emoticon Side note: I like that you don't announce what to expect ahead of time. It makes the entire thing more balanced, and rewards those of us who will get up to play at 3am regardless of the type of puzzles.

Schedules: I would be amenable to playing solely on even or odd hours to make the tourney a little shorter (and thus more manageable). I am also content simply keeping the tourney as is. However, I would be highly opposed to splitting up the tourney between the US and Europe. Part of the appeal of the tournament is the world-wide rankings. We like to see how we compare with all the players all over the world, when everyone starts on equal grounds. One of the things I most appreciate about the tournament (and, in fact, what I tell everyone when I explain the basic concept) is that it is completely and unequivocably fair to every single player in every single country around the world. Everyone has to face the choice, at some point, to set an alarm for the aforementioned 3am round, or stay awake until then, or to just give it up as a lost cause and get a full night's rest. Those decisions affect all the rest of us and our rankings among each other. And let's be honest, ranking is why we do it, right? I'd much rather get an award for ranking "99th in the World" than for ranking "32nd in the Western Hemisphere North of the Tropic of Capricorn..."

When: I was thinking of rearranging my sock drawer that weekend, but I doubt a few hundred other people would mind waiting a week for me... (^_^)

Final note: I'm the first to admit I'm not a fast solver. And since this was my first full tourney, please remember that this part comes from the noob in me. (~_^) I don't know if it was just because I'm slow, or because my brain doesn't work past 11pm, or what, but a lot of the puzzles this time around seemed difficult to me. I very rarely finished in the 1hour timeframe. I always stuck it out, though, because I wanted my darn points for showing up! I would kind of (don't laugh! lol) like to see one easy puzzle in each batch of releases to give us slow-pokes a chance to catch up and breathe. The vets would still whip through them fast and get the best scores, and us loyal pokeys can still get a decent night's rest.

I'd apologize for how long this is, but you invited us... so it's all your fault. ;)
Looking forward to #9! I think... lol
~K.

Answer
8/31/09 8:23 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Here's my $0.02 worth:

Passwords: Keep the passwords as is. Quite often, I only have tine to fire up the chat to see what the password is and get started as the match begins. Having to go looking elsewhere for the puzzle would delay my start and put me further down the list. I wholeheartedly agree with Marion68 that the passwords shouldn't be another puzzle to solve.

Puzzles: I'm ok with a variety of puzzles (lots of small ones, a big one or two, a 12-part multi), but like others, I think you should try to limit the total solve time for the puzzles in a round to no more than an hour. (There were some rounds in the last tournament that kept me going for over 2 hours. After the first hour, it starts to feel like a slog.)

Schedule: I'm fine with the round the clock schedule, but it could do with a shift: 2 AM, Saturday - 2 AM Sunday GMT (or 3 AM - 3 AM when Daylight Saving Time is not in effect). That way, those of us on the North American west coast have a chance to get home from work to participate. (Many of us can't participate in rounds that start during working hours due to the site being blocked. And then, there's the commute home.)

When: Whether you start it on Sept. 12 or as late as Oct. 3, it'll make no difference to me. I'll still miss the Oct. 3 round due to prior plans, and the tournament will still last until after the Christmas holidays, so one or two rounds may be missed in there unless the tournament is put on hold for a week or two.

Nays: No Triddlers? Bummer. emoticon

Answer
8/31/09 8:56 AM as a reply to luweewu.
for me it would be pefect if the g-match start later that September 12th ;)

Answer
8/31/09 12:34 PM as a reply to hagitm.
My thoughts:

Passwords - When they are in chat, everyone knows where to get them. If they are elsewhere, does that disadvantage people who are not fluent in English?

Schedule - Every second hour would be ok, but I do not like the Europe/America idea as I am not in either. Will you run another tournament for those in the southern hemisphere?

Everything else is fine by me.

Keep up the good work.

Corinna

Answer
8/31/09 10:28 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Hello,
Thanks for asking for our input even though mine isn't very interesting....
Passwords: I understand why you would want us to search for the password - a great way to let everyone see what this site has to offer. But I think the Password in Chat is perfect.
Puzzles: I love the minipuzzles but I love the idea of fewer puzzles and one toughie or a multi.
Schedule: The time really doesn't matter to me. Some of you know I take care of my mother (who just turned 93 yesterday.) Sometimes I can't get to the computer until just before the G-Match. Then I'll start it but not be able to complete it until later. Sometimes I'm lucky and can complete the whole thing in one sitting. I'm so exhausted by the time I get to bed, I would never set my alarm to get up in the middle of the night. My G-Match will just have to wait until morning.
When: Saturday, September 12, is fine with me.
Terry

Answer
9/1/09 5:44 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Always happy to put in my 2 cents worth! Have to say I agree with most of the others. Passwords are great as they are. It's good to have a reason to log into the chat, makes the whole tournament feel like community. I have felt that when the passwords are also puzzles it doesn't make much sense to give the final one away so easily, after all that hard work for weeks. So if the passwords are an additional part of the puzzle-solving it would make sense to stay within that concept and not wimp out at the end. But since this is a griddler tournament, making the passwords also puzzles is a bit much.

Please don't change the world-wide competition! I love seeing how my stats stack up against everyone else, not just my corner of the world. Times are very fair and makes the whole thing more interesting-sometimes it's just my turn to have it easy or tough.

I really haven't enjoyed the multis in the tournaments, but I know many folks love them-so however that works out is good. Mini-multis? Hmm. . .might like that.

The mini-week was fun! I usually finish the puzzles in a couple of hours-sometimes more, sometimes less-but it's been quite consistent and once I finished a regular week within "the hour." That was a kick! I don't think they should always be calculated to be done within one hour, that would be too easy. Quick, but not up to the level we've been accustomed to. Making standings based on attendance rather than finish time would defeat the whole idea of a tournament-that doesn't sound like a good idea, looks like that one was nixed anyway :-).

Start time for the next competition is no problem one way or the other. I look forward to it, whenever. See you there.

Answer
9/1/09 8:57 AM as a reply to MomWiz.
My twopennyworth is

Please leave passwords alone just making the final a search is enough

I love the ridiculous times of day and think it is fairer to the whole world for us all to suffer at some time

No opinion on short or long tournaments

If whatever puzzles are supposed to be completed in 1 hour I can manage in 2 hours that's not too long but I did love the minis round

I can't do 12th September as I am going to my sons graduation ceremony in Oxford ( First Class Honours - and am I a proud mother) but I guess it's a good day to start.

And just a thank you for organising the G match

Nicki

Answer
9/1/09 8:58 PM as a reply to hagitm.
hi all
please don´t move the passwords out of chat.

i prefer short and easy puzzles for g-match

please keep allworld g-match

i vote for start after september 12th, but if we start this day, please before 12:pm gmt. ¡¡ it´s my sister wedding day!!

anyway thanks for all your work
bye

Answer
9/2/09 6:36 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Password on an other page could be a problem for people, like me, who use not the englisch version of the site.

I like small, easy puzzles

Don't split the world in two.

12 or 24 rounds : I don't mind

For starting hours, please use 24h notation, no Am and PM, but 00:00 to 23:59

On sept. 12 I am not able to do G-match after 12:00

Harm.

RE: 9th G-Match Tournament - Suggestions and Requests
Answer
9/2/09 12:25 PM as a reply to hagitm.
First: best thanks for the great 8th Tournament!

Password: Chat's header is fine.

Puzzles: if you reduce the number of puzzles, so they should be more difficult, please keep the actual average solving times (example: 12 easy or 8 middle-hard or 4 difficult puzzles or a combination of it)

Schedule: 12 or 24 rounds - no problem. But please let us all play together, I don't mind the night hours.

The start of 9th G-Match on September 12th is O.K.

Nays: No T-Match? What a pity! I understand the problems with the whole added organization and suitable puzzles and and and... but I'd enjoy it very much (and I'm not alone). What about of scheduling of 1 - 2 triddlers in every G-Match round?

A great 9th G-Match to all players!

Answer
9/2/09 12:42 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I would find it better if the matches are sundays. saturdays are so many events. partys, birthdays, concerts,...

Answer
9/2/09 5:42 PM as a reply to meisti.
Just keep everything the same pretty much emoticon

Answer
9/3/09 1:31 PM as a reply to meisti.
meisti:
I would find it better if the matches are sundays. saturdays are so many events. partys, birthdays, concerts,...

I've found it impossible to play many G-matches due to the timing and working Mon - Fri. I'm no longer doing that and am looking forward to playing this match. Pushing it to Sundays GMT would be a problem for anyone in the likes of New Zealand or Australia as that will push into our Mondays.

I'm looking forward to the tournament emoticon

Answer
9/3/09 9:48 PM as a reply to nzangelita.
One way or the other the start time will be "bad" for some users. So... let's just start.

The 1st round of the 9th G-Match tournament will be at midnight GMT between Friday (Sep 11) and Saturday (Sep 12).

Requests and suggestions are still open to discussion. :-)

Hagit

Answer
9/4/09 1:28 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Hello. This was my first tournament and I loved it. Thankyou puzzle creators and moderators and organizers. :notworthy:

Please keep the round the world round the clock format - it make everyone have good and bad hours and being part of a world wide tournament is fun. If the consensus is that 24 weeks is too long, then you could have one tournament at even hours, then a couple of weeks off, then the next tournament at odd hours.

Also, the mix of puzzles is good. Having some kiddlers and some minimalism and varying the time release is good. The idea of 3 puzzles and one longer/harder one is very good too - more variety. However, the idea of a very short round is not too appealing - getting up at 3am for a 15 minute round doesn't sound like fun - it would be over before I am even properly awake!

I agree with everyone else, the password is fine where it is. However, some people have been competing for much longer than me and may be wanting a bit of a change. Maybe you could test out some of the suggestions over the course of the tournament and see what the feedback is once we actually experience the suggestion.

And lastly, as a newbie to the tournament..... I have been doing griddlers for a while but always shyed away from the tournament because I thought it was for real experienced griddlerers. And I was nicely surprised to see that it is a fun puzzle hour and anyone can join in. Maybe a little news item before the next tournament to let other non competitors know how much fun it is and that you don't have to be an expert to join in.

Answer
9/4/09 2:54 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Hi everyone.
I love the matches, and miss them when they are not going on. I have given suggestions in the past, and thank you for taking my comments into consideration in the matches.

One thing that I would like is to know the total number of people participating in the matches. We have the ranking of the top 200, and top 200 in the individual matches/countries, etc. But it would be great to know the total number of people participating the the matches.

Thanks again to the moderators. Love the games! Thanks for embracing this logic puzzle as much as I do.
Philana

Answer
9/4/09 10:11 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I've been enjoying the G-match just as it is. I don't see any reason to split into a west vs east nor do I see any reason to change the way the passwords are obtained. I do like having passwords that are collected as clues to the final match. It's an extra puzzle to solve!

The past G-match had more harder puzzles than in the past. I think this is a good idea given that the competition is getting tougher and tougher. However I think that they need to stay easy enough that some of the newer solvers don't get discouraged. So I think the level of difficulty is good as it is, but maybe adding one tougher one is okay as long as the majority of the puzzles are solvable by the majority of regular users.

Answer
9/5/09 11:35 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Thank you for your posts! :salute: Here are some answers and comments:

jingai:
1 hour mid-time per round

I'll do my best, but I need a way to weigh the puzzles.
For every round we have a post in the forum. If a certain G-Match round is too short/long or some puzzles are too easy/hard please add your input in those posts and tell us (specially me) about it.

jingai:
Is there a program that could guess the mid-time prior to release as I know it's comes from the result times of the solvers?

I wish! But - no.

elfmum:
I can't do 12th September as I am going to my sons graduation ceremony in Oxford (First Class Honours - and am I a proud mother) but I guess it's a good day to start.
We are proud of him too! Cheers to your son! :occasion5:

galocha2003:
i vote for start after september 12th, but if we start this day, please before 12:pm gmt. it´s my sister wedding day!!

Congratulations! Sending our warm greetings to your sister and her spouse. May they have a happy and plentiful life. :occasion7:

harmless_52:
For starting hours, please use 24h notation, no Am and PM, but 00:00 to 23:59.

The site's clock shows AM/PM times. It's easier for the users to compare and calculate the difference between their local time and the site's GMT time. Therefore we will keep the AM/PM.

meisti:
A few tournaments back we agreed to have the G-Match on Saturdays.

nzangelita pointed out: Pushing it to Sundays GMT would be a problem for anyone in the likes of New Zealand or Australia as that will push into our Mondays.

I'll add the Israeli users who need to go to work on Sundays. Sometimes they attend the G-Match at 3am. It leaves them only a few hours of sleep before getting up to work.

Saturdays GMT remain the times for the G-Match.

philana:
One thing that I would like is to know the total number of people participating in the matches.

3114 users got trophies, but that doesn't mean there are 3000 G-Match players because we stop counting after 200 solving records. If we had raised the number of solving records, the number of players would have gotten higher too.

ACW:
Just keep everything the same pretty much

Looks like we will.

Keep your eyes on the Site's News. Later this week we will publish a News message and tell you how the 9th G-Match tournament will be.

Hagit

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.