« Back to Chat and G-Match/T-Match

10th G-Match Tournament: Suggestions and Requests

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Like always, you can tell us if you have special requests or new ideas for the next G-Match. Use this thread to share your thoughts. No promises, though. We are really super busy with so many other things... :dontknow:

Here are questions and requests from us:

When?
When do you want to start the next G-Match - March 27th or later?

Short or Long?
Do you want to try a short tournament this time - 12 rounds, 12 weeks, every 2 hours? Or - a full, 24 rounds G-Match?

Calling for Puzzles
Once again we ask our authors to submit puzzles for the G-Match: Easy, small, mini-multies. The key for a good G-Match is having nice puzzles. Thanks you! :salute:

See you in the 10th G-Match Tournament

RE: 10th G-Match Tournament: Suggestions and Requests
Answer
3/10/10 4:53 PM as a reply to hagitm.
There is already one suggestion by sandz:
Extra column in the result G-Match table.

Answer
3/11/10 7:16 AM as a reply to hagitm.
I don't mind a challenge during the G-Match but I sure don't enjoy triangles! :?
Other than that I don't have too much of a problem with anything. Just like the race emoticon

I tend to not be able to make a number of the matches so I wouldn't mind a shorter G-Match (I want to crack into getting a certificate!)

Answer
3/11/10 6:06 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I've wondered how much the final standings are affected by casual solvers (folks who only attend for a week or two in the middle of the match). When I started competing it was just because no puzzles are released for general solving on Friday and Saturday. Could there be some kind of pre-registration and release passwords to dedicated participants? Shorter tournaments would make sense in that case, and close registration after the first week. Probably shooting myself in the foot here, because I tend to start low in the ratings and scratch my way up until the end of the tournament.

Loved having to piece out the final password as an extra exercise!

Please, no Triddlers! Maybe a T-Match for those solvers.

Answer
3/12/10 5:56 AM as a reply to hagitm.
When? asap 8)

how many rounds? 24

Changes? puzzles not bigger then 25x25 and maybe adding 1 or 2 triddlers, small ones

Answer
3/12/10 9:21 AM as a reply to hagitm.
As the last G Match was one where I had to miss several rounds the extra column is a good idea but the pre registration would have precluded me and I am sure many others.

As I really enjoy the match.
When - asap
How long - don't mind

Triddlers - no
Triangles - as few as possible please

Answer
3/12/10 12:30 PM as a reply to hagitm.
March 27 is fine.
Long like last time.
The hours last time were GREAT.
PLEASE no Triddlers.

Answer
3/13/10 4:05 PM as a reply to hagitm.
When: Apr10 and next Saturdays, because of the Easter

Length: 12 rounds will be enough and the gmatch will be more competitive also for me. I have small baby and it is difficult for me to be online everytime and after missing some rounds I am "out of order" emoticon

Also some triangles should be veeeery fine.

Thanks, everybody.

Answer
3/13/10 9:52 PM as a reply to hagitm.
When?
By reading your requests I think we better start after the holidays (Passover and Easter). So, write down the date - the 1st round of the 10th tournament will be on April 10th.

Short or Long?
I tried to count who was in favor of what and I think we have a tie, or more for 24. I already have a nice 24-round "riddle" for the last password. I can make it short, but alas... :!:
How about having 24 rounds for this match, and the next two will have 12 rounds each - one in odd, one in even hours. I'll keep 10 puzzles per round and won't make it longer than it is now.

T-Match
We can't mix griddlers with triddlers.
Reason 1 - too complicated to program because it involves iGridd applet(s).
Reason 2 - users who solve griddlers don't necessarily like, or even know how to solve triddlers.

The only way to have triddlers in a match is to create a T-Match. But here is a catch - to run a T-Match we need enough new (and easy!) triddlers every week. Even if we decide to have less puzzles (say - 5 per a match) we don't always have a big enough selection for a T-Match.

If you want to have a T-Match start creating nice and easy triddlers. Once I see that we are ready to have a T-Match - we will.

Hagit

Answer
3/14/10 7:57 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Here's a different idea: what about a 24 hour G-Match? Basically puzzles could be released every hour for a whole day. That certainly would be very challenging to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Answer
3/15/10 7:35 AM as a reply to hagitm.
I think having less rounds doesn't cut the problem if someone can participate in every round. I think the length of the match is not the main reason, but which hour is it on a special date.
As we still have the changing hours everyone is hidden sometimes not being able to attend, no matter how many rounds there are.

If we have 12-rounds matches, I for myself would prefer having them over the summer, as I noticed that I can attend the matches more regularly in winter (having the 24 rounds match then).

Starting after Easter is great.
Please not too many triangles, not up to letter o or p.

Answer
3/16/10 10:01 AM as a reply to hagitm.
@hagitm:
....The only way to have triddlers in a match is to create a T-Match. But here is a catch - to run a T-Match we need enough new (and easy!) triddlers every week. Even if we decide to have less puzzles (say - 5 per a match) we don't always have a big enough selection for a T-Match....

Yes, that's right, I understood. Without suitable triddlers we can't have a full T-Match.

But what about to start a "small size" T-Match?
Suggestion:

1. Only one round in a month.

2. Together only 6 rounds per a T-Match (so it'd take the same time as 24 rounds of G-Match)

3. Only 5 puzzles per a round (because only 5, we could schedule small AND some easier middle triddlers)

4. Points only for the first 100 participants (I suppose, much less people would attend a T-Match than a G-Match)

???

Answer
3/16/10 9:28 PM as a reply to petersong.
T-Match people - read the T-Match News, write your comments, and choose the best plan for you amongst the suggestion we came up with.

Hagit

Answer
3/17/10 8:47 PM as a reply to hagitm.
Sorry, but G-Match-Starts at Sleeptime are impossible for me due to my job. I want to take part. Why not by this way:

1. Griddler password-protected like before
2. a Server/Homepage-Script/Function, where I can request the Password
3. The password is given with a server-saved time-stamp
4. I solve the puzzle
5. TimeStamp (End-Time) - TimeStamp (PasswordRequestTime) = SolvingTime

Just my two cents.

Best Regards
Superproll

Answer
3/17/10 8:57 PM as a reply to Superproll.
@Superproll

It's a nice idea in theory but it is way too easy to cheat. All you need is one person who do it first, take screenshots and then a second person can solve from the screenshots without thinking at all. Unless the puzzles are very easy, this would be faster than a normal person can solve.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.