Re: Curious to know... how you vote Heidi Wegman 4/16/04 5:20 PM
Re: Curious to know... how you vote Tally Axel 4/16/04 9:05 PM
Re: Curious to know... how you vote Heidi Wegman 4/17/04 4:40 PM
Re: Curious to know... how you vote Evalyn 4/18/04 5:00 AM
Curious to know... how you vote
Answer
4/9/04 5:00 AM
Hi,

During our work on the MultiGriddlers (make each Multi votable only after all the parts are solved) we found out some interesting data we would like to share with you.

Some solvers hit only (or mostly) the 0% or 25% when they vote for a puzzle they solved. In extreme cases 40 to 84 percentages of the puzzles have been voted out.

We would like to remind you that low popularity puzzles with more than 40 zeros are removed from the site permanently. When you vote 0, it is your way to say "this puzzle is so bad it should not be solved by others".

We also would like to remind you that each author has their own admin page that shows them the popularity and the votings of each puzzle they created. When you vote 100 or 0, you tell the authors how good (or bad) their puzzle was. They take your votings seriously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to hear you out, to know how you vote
When do you vote 0?
What makes a puzzle perfect to gain 100?

And... if you are one of those multi 0s voter- we sure wish to understand the way you vote.

Thank you,
Hagit.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Curious to know... how you vote
Answer
4/10/04 2:27 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I personally have only voted zero on one puzzle ( it had no distinct picture AND was untitled) . I believe that a puzzle should only be voted zero if it truely has no merit. As for Multi's, I don't vote until I have completed all of it. I am not comfortable judging it only on one part. As an afternote, I have found that MOST members of this are very nice when posting comments on puzzles.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 2:38 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I'm both surprised and not surprised to know about those persitstant low voters, if that makes any sense. On the one hand, I'm surprised anyone would continue to come here and solve puzzles if they think such a high percentage of the puzzles on this site aren't worth anything. On the other hand, I'm not surprised to find someone on the internet acting like a complete jerk because their "anonymity" allows them to... That is all too common of a phenomenon.

As for my own voting, I rarely give a zero. I've probably given them less than a handful of times, usually because the puzzle appeared to be someone just messing around, not a real attempt to make a nice puzzle. If it looks like someone actually was trying to make something, I wouldn't give it lower than 25%. I feel guilty when I go even that low, so usually I will give a 50% or above. Fortunately, most puzzle creators do make nice puzzles, so it's rare I have to think about going lower than 50%. I have to really like something to give it a 100%, though.

I've tried a couple times to make my own puzzles, and especially the ones with triangles are HARD. So I really appreciate the work the puzzle creators go to. I hope that airing the actions of a few puzzlers, who vote everything zero, makes the creators who get a few stray zeros feel better.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 4:30 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I don't believe that I have ever voted 0% on a puzzle, I think that authors of this site do a fantastic job, mostly I vote for those that are worthy in my opinion over 50%.

I am also an author, and i wish that people that have voted a 0% would write a little note either to me directly, or in the comments as to why they thought that it deserved a 0%, then I as an Author could take those comments into consideration to try to better myself as an author. I know that I would never want to see one of my own puzzles be banned from the site forever just because 40 people out of the site didnt like it.

I hope that people that vote 0% have also tried to be an author. It is not only hard to make them but hard to come up with ideas that authors think that the puzzlers would like.

thanks
JynxsMom
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 5:38 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I'm not sure if I've ever voted a zero, but my "policy" is that a puzzle only g...

>Hi,
>
>During our work on the MultiGriddlers (make each Multi votable only after all the parts are solved) we found out some interesting data we would like to share with you.
>
>Some solvers hit only (or mostly) the 0% or 25% when they vote for a puzzle they solved. In extreme cases 40 to 84 percentages of the puzzles have been voted out.
>
>We would like to remind you that low popularity puzzles with more than 40 zeros are removed from the site permanently. When you vote 0, it is your way to say "this puzzle is so bad it should not be solved by others".
>
>We also would like to remind you that each author has their own admin page that shows them the popularity and the votings of each puzzle they created. When you vote 100 or 0, you tell the authors how good (or bad) their puzzle was. They take your votings seriously.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>We would like to hear you out, to know how you vote
>When do you vote 0?
>What makes a puzzle perfect to gain 100?
>
>And... if you are one of those multi 0s voter- we sure wish to understand the way you vote.
>
>Thank you,
>Hagit.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 6:01 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>When do you vote 0?

I never vote as the site is so slow on my system it would waste hours of my life that I could be spending on the puzzles occasionally I've vote dbut maybe only 2 or 3 times
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 8:06 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hi
Hagit, I don't understand from your entry if those who voted 0 on a multi did so for most of its parts, or just a few part out of all.
Maybe those solvers voted 0 on most parts, but on the last puzzle of the multi voted "for real", thinking that their 0 doesn't count if it's made on the other parts? Or maybe becouse many parts of multis are too easy to even count as puzzles. maybe they are too empty.
Maybe they did so becouse they just don't like multis, but this don't make sense becouse, in that case, why would they solve those multis? unless it's for the points, like I sometimes do.
I suspect we will not get unswers from serial 0 voters here. They might not want to show who they are. I don't understand that, eather. Unless they do that for spite. Why be ashamed if you vote 0? just tell us why!

I never vote on multis unless I finish the whole thing. I don't remember ever voting zero for anything. maybe once or twice. if I vote low, I try to write why in the commants.

But most important
forty 0% votes remove a puzzle????
Please don't! what about forty 0% on puzzles that might have also forty 50% and forty 100%? It can happen in tiny puzzles.
And what about real hard ones that you bother to solve, and then find that you dislike it, and then 40 people deside to put it out, and my hard earned points are gone forever!

I think the criteria for removing a puzzle should be based on precentage of voters, not absulute numbers. For example lower then 25% average should be voted out. But anyway, I don't think puzzles should be removed at all. Whats so wrong about having a few bad puzzles when the site has so many good ones? someone might ectually like them. I know I found some very low vote puzzles unique and interesting, and voted high on them.

Thanks for listening
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 8:40 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I never give any grid a zero score. If someone takes the time to create a grid for us to solve, no matter what the picture looks like, it deserves at least a 25 for effort. I give really nice pictures a 75 that are copy/paste pictures (the author used an existing picture to make the grid) 100% belongs to the grids that are a really nice picture that is created by the author IMO. Sometimes I don't vote because after solving the grid and the little completed picture loads, my puter freezes up. Being on a Mac is most likely the problem but it only does that for some grids.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 9:44 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hi all of you,

On the toppic curious to know, I never vote. Why??? Because I want the puzzles to be there for everyone to solve and not to be deleted. And I dont think that one puzzle is better than another. I tried to make some puzzles myself and I know how difficlut it is to make a puzzle that everyone likes.

Some people vote 0 to puzzles they think are to easy or to difficult, but if you think that about a puzzle you better not give a vote because other people may just find that puzzle very nice to solve.

grtzz sandra

>Hi,
>
>During our work on the MultiGriddlers (make each Multi votable only after all the parts are solved) we found out some interesting data we would like to share with you.
>
>Some solvers hit only (or mostly) the 0% or 25% when they vote for a puzzle they solved. In extreme cases 40 to 84 percentages of the puzzles have been voted out.
>
>We would like to remind you that low popularity puzzles with more than 40 zeros are removed from the site permanently. When you vote 0, it is your way to say "this puzzle is so bad it should not be solved by others".
>
>We also would like to remind you that each author has their own admin page that shows them the popularity and the votings of each puzzle they created. When you vote 100 or 0, you tell the authors how good (or bad) their puzzle was. They take your votings seriously.
>
>
>When do you vote 0?
>
>And... if you are one of those multi 0s voter- we sure wish to understand the way you vote.
>
>Thank you,
>Hagit.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 10:33 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Two notes to clear this up

>I don't understand from your entry if those who voted 0 on a multi did so for most of its parts, or just a few part out of all.

(***) Multi 0s voters give 0 to any puzzle, not just to MultiGriddlers.

>I think the criteria for removing a puzzle should be based on precentage of voters, not absulute numbers.

(***) There are 2 conditions to remove a puzzle
Low popularity (below 15%).
At least 40 votes of 0s.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 10:35 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
This message was sent to my message box with the permission to post it in the forum. I found it important for all to read, especially our puzzle creators. Here it is

Voting 0%
---------------------
I think I don't do this often. I may have voted this way more often in the past. I've found that my personal voting style has changed over time. Currently, I have a personal policy of voting 0% when any of the following conditions are met

a) The picture is just a fill-in. This rarely happens anymore, and is mostly a layover from the old pbn site. If someone else hasn't commented on this for a particular puzzle, I usually do so.

b) The picture has two colors that are exactly the same. Voting 0 here is just a reflection on the carelessness of the puzzle designer. I actually haven't found this to happen in a very, very long time. Also, the new color boxes have helped to keep this from becoming a solver-frustration issue anymore, because you can clearly see that there are two similar colors and change one of them.

c) This one is probably the one that would get me into the most trouble if it were widely known. This is just a personal preference issue. I vote 0% on virtually all puzzles that have writing in them, because I think a griddler should be a picture, and not writing. I'm not trying to tell the authors not to make any more puzzles with writing in them; I'm just expressing my personal preference through voting. I make exceptions to this rule for only two reasons 1. If the end picture is so extraordinarily good that I can't in good conscience give it a 0; and 2. If I entered the picture. Yes, I know the latter is hypocritical, but I think all authors should give their own puzzles 100% simply because they put the work into creating and/or entering it. Every time I solve one of my own pictures that has lettering in it, I hem and haw for ages about how to vote - 100 or 0.

Low-scoring Multis
-----------------------------
In general, I don't like Multis. I solve them for the points, and for the occasional gem. I usually won't give a multi more than 50%. I also usually don't give it a 0%. I follow my 0% policies listed above for multis, as well. This means I give a lot of 25% scores to multis.

What makes me give a low score? So many multis have large, boring sections with tons of extra, unnecessary white space. Also, most multis don't have a decipherable picture in the individual puzzles. There are a few multis that I consider truly wonderful that have decipherable pictures in each section in addition to the final picture. Those are the only multis that get good scores from me, because it takes a real artist to make something like that. Multis like that are interesting to solve all the way through, because you're constantly getting pictures, and not just weird abstract lines and dots that are meaningless until the whole thing is finished.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 10:41 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I personally don't vote on a multigriddler until I've completely solved it. It's really not fair to the author. We had one multi that had one part that had either no blocks or one or two. With multigriddlers this can't be helped because on most of them the major picture is in the middle boxes. The corners may be very easy, but it doesn't take away from the over all picture. You usually know after solving a few parts on a multi whether or not you're going to like it or not, so why continue if your going to vote zero?

There are thousands of users on the Griddlers site, so saying that 40 zero votes eliminates a griddler is not fair to the rest of us. That is such a small percentage of users and the only griddlers that get that many solvers are the small or the easier ones that some of us either don't solve so we can solve the harder ones, or we save them for times we need need a fast one. Some of these easier ones are being authored by children.

I rarely vote zero or 25 because I know how hard it is to make one. I've made a few and they were never posted, so I know a lot goes into the ones that are accepted. The only time I will vote zero is when I know there is a copyrite issue. There are a lot on the site that are actual cross stitch patterns and the real authors have not been given any credit for THEIR work. These automatically get a zero vote from me. I am an avid cross stitcher and although the patterns may have been changed a little so that they are solvable, they are copyrite violations anyway. So if you don't want a zero vote from me, either do your own work or give the author credit.

Barb
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 11:25 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I only vote 0% when it is just filling, not puzzling. I found only two of them however.

The problem with these puzzles is that some like them, while others don't like them at all.
Maybe you should consider removing the puzzles with the following only

1) More than 40 times a 0% voting
AND
2) the number of 0% voting is at least 50% of the total number of votings.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 12:07 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I, too, appreciate the difficulty of making these puzzles. My problem with too many of them, however, is that they are merely fill-ins. From many of the comments, it appears that many solvers are solely interested in, and vote on, the perceived quality of the finished picture.

But a fill-in is merely a tedious exercise. It is not a puzzle! Therefore, I have adopted the policy of giving most fill-ins a 25 (in honor of the author's effort.) However, I have bestowed 0's on the extremely tedious - those with numerous strings of 1's for example. I have solved many of these by just filling in the next available block(s) in a row or column without reference to the column or row to see if they match - because they always do.

Is there any way to separate real puzzles from fill-ins? I think that would help for us old-timers who come to this wonderful site for a challenge, not just a pretty picture.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 1:07 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I love this site and appreciate all the wonderful authers. I have made a few puzzles and know how difficult they can be to get right.
I have never voted 0 for anyone. I vote 100% when I enjoy solving the puzzle and the finished picture.
Personally I dont tend to like multi grids, hence unless in the mood I dont solve them, and dont vote until I finish them.
I notice a lot of low votes and comments from people saying small puzzles are too easy... can people not read or understand the difficulty rating?? If you dont like easy puzzles, then it is easy... dont solve them. Surely if you are doing it for the points, solve them and dont vote, but dont vote low because they are easy... when that is an easily seen by the difficulty rating!! Personally, they are good when you are feeling tired at the end of a hard day, or just dont have the time for a larger, more difficult puzzle (often the case in my situation).
PLEASE also give our younger & new authers encouragement and a fair go.. we dont want to stop our creators.. without them, we have no more to solve!!
Thanks to all creators, and the wonderful team at griddlers. Its a great site that just keeps getting better!!!
bitmore

>When do you vote 0?
>
>
>Thank you,
>Hagit.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 2:38 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
what if we don't vote? does that count as a zero? cuz i don't always vote, just solve and continue to next puzzle ...
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 2:59 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>There are thousands of users on the Griddlers site, so saying that 40 zero votes eliminates a griddler is not fair to the rest of us.

You have a point!
When we accommodated less people than today, the 40 zeros was the right number. What do you think is right for today - 100 zeros? More? Any other rule?

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 3:11 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>Is there any way to separate real puzzles from fill-ins?

If there were totally fill-in puzzles in the site they could be separated by the system, but as far as I know there is none. (If I am wrong, I'd be glad to get an ID numbers). As for merely fill-ins - those puzzles usually have 8 colors and a grid of 50x50. You can sort them our by choosing less colors or a smaller grid.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 3:15 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>what if we don't vote? does that count as a zero? cuz i don't always vote, just solve and continue to next puzzle ...

Popularity is the total sum of the votes divided by the number of votes.
For example - if we have 1 vote of 100%, 1 vote of 50%, 2 votes of 25% -
The sum of the votes (1x100 + 1x50 + 2x25) is 200.
The number of votes is 4.
The Popularity is 200/4 = 50%.

So... if you don't vote it cannot be counted in.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 3:16 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>1) More than 40 times a 0% voting
>AND
>2) the number of 0% voting is at least 50% of the total number of votings.

1) How much more?
2) Good thinking! Agreed by others?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 5:09 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
First of all, I think this is one of the most interesting threads in the forum so far and the opinions expressed are all very relevant, giving the team plenty to think about!

I've only ever voted 0% once, probably for the same puzzle as the one mentioned above - no title and no discernible picture.

I have now stopped voting altogether because I don't consider it a fair system. The site asks for a vote on the QUALITY of the puzzle and from the comments posted it's patently obvious that a lot of 0% votes are given because
a) the picture isn't sophisticated enough or
b) the puzzle is too easy
All the comments here about the difficulty involved in creating a puzzle and the respect that authors deserve are completely in line with my views, too. New authors and children especially need encouragement and not the harsh comments that are frequently posted by their puzzles. In particular I feel for the first-timers.
As for puzzles getting 0% because they're too easy, I do feel that occasionally a puzzle's rating doesn't reflect it's real level of difficulty - but that goes both ways. There are some that are rated high and seem easy and some that are easier than I would expect from the rating. but perhaps that's just me having a particularly good or bad day! In general though, the rating is a good indication of the challenge a puzzle presents and solvers should be able to judge beforehand whether a puzzle is going to be easy, so giving a 0% rating for an easy puzzle being too easy is unfair.

On the whole, I do not believe that the voting reflects a true picture of the puzzle's quality. Quite apart from that, the whole idea of "quality" is open to interpretation. So perhaps the answer is to have a slightly more complex voting scheme where solvers are asked to rate the picture, the puzzle and the challenge of each grid. But then perhaps solvers would be put off voting altogether?

On another note, I have also stopped posting comments and in many cases I no longer read other solvers' comments either. It's nothing to do with not having time or being snobbish - I have found too many comments too upsetting and as I'm here for the fun aspect, I do not want to read yet another stupid comment from some rude peabrain who has never learned to show respect for others. I know there are a lot of nice, friendly people on the site but the rude ones spoil it for me, so I stay away from the comments box.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 5:16 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hi Hagit

I'm just curious too - what do you do with multigriddlers when 1 part has such a low rating that it should be tossed - does the whole multi get tossed, do we keep only the higher rated parts of the multi, or do you keep the whole puzzle?

As far as the whole ratings issue - it doesn't bother me too much if puzzles are low rated. I agree with 2 points that have been made.

1) If you haven't made puzzles - or even tried to take an existing picture, make it small enough to be even a multi, and reduce it to 8 colors while still making it look like something - then you probably don't understand how hard it is to come up with something decent. Tons of what I start doing gets tossed out before I even try and download it because it just won't make a good puzzle. Making a multi that doesn't have any edge parts that are really easy is very difficult, and if we were to get rid of every multi that had easy "fill-in" edge pieces, we would have far fewer puzzles to solve.

2) Given the relative anonymity of the web, there are going to be some people that get their jollies from trashing other people's work consistently, since they do not have to be accountable for it. If voting was set up like comments where people could tell who was consistently voting 0%, I bet that fewer people would vote 0% so much (not that I am suggesting you should do that - like I said, I don't really care that much).

I like to submit puzzles that make a good looking picture when they are solved. Given the way the workshop operates, we "authors" cannot tell what the grid looks like or try the puzzle before it is submitted to everyone (I understand they are working on changing this). I have been surprised at times by what the grid of a puzzle I submitted looks like - I cannot really tell if it will be good to solve or not until I try it myself after it is already up.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents on the issue. I love these topics, they are fun to read!

Seeya Later

Mak
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 6:00 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I agreed with Mak. It is impossible to know how the griddler, you have created, looks out or is it good and logical to solve. I can only guess that and count number of hints per row.

But to the question
I have voted 0 for mutli-grid earlier. Today I don't vote multis anymore.
The reason is allways the same It is not a griddler. Just fill-in on one part of the area (with black lining) and lots of empty space.
I didn't know about this 40 zeroes rule. I think that its not fair.
I have solved many good little griddlers, witch have good logic and understandable picture, (mostly 2-colors) with very low rating. I really like them, but I quess some people give zero to them only lack of extra colors.

The most important thing to me is good logic. Good picture is extra bonus.

Authors Pleace don't delete any griddlers more.

Mari
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 6:12 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>I'm just curious too - what do you do with multigriddlers when 1 part has such a low rating that it should be tossed - does the whole multi get tossed, do we keep only the higher rated parts of the multi, or do you keep the whole puzzle?

The way you used to vote for MultiGriddlers is going to be altered. A multi will be votable only after solving all its part. Each multi will get only ONE vote. This way, it is simply impossible to ban one part of a multi.

People who solve puzzles by difficulty will be able to continue solving parts of multis. However, they would not be able to vote unless they completed solving the full multi.

As for the old votes given so far
If a solver voted more than once for a certain multi, we will take the highest vote and place it as the final voting of this solver.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 8:35 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I may never have voted 0.
I vote 100 if the puzzle is difficult and is a good representation of whatever is being pictured. The difficulty is more important. A hard puzzle that's not such a good picture can still get 100.
A picture that is a very good representation but is only of medium difficulty can get at most 75 from me.
A beautiful picture that is mostly a fill-in I will give at most a 50.

Sometimes I don't vote because I would give a lower number than the average (50 or less) but I don't want to discourage the author.

I think keeping and labeling the Kiddlers is a great idea because there will always be people who need easy puzzles, at least to practice on, to work up to the harder ones.

I liked voting separately on the Difficulty and the Design in Mr. Kajitani's site.

>
>When do you vote 0?
>
>
>Thank you,
>Hagit.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 9:45 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
hi

As I already said on this forum thread, I'm against removing puzzles at all.
Hagit, can you tell me why this is considered? Most people don't remark, and many don't bother to vote. Is there any reason to remove them, other then having fewer bad ones? becouse is that's the only thing, then I personally can live with some very bad ones, rather then disapoint a creator or a solver that happened to work hard on this puzzle.

I'd also like to point out that, looking at the puzzles list by difficulty (without multis, for simplicity), I found that
1) looking at avarages only 7 puzzles scored an avaraged of 25% or less, which means they are the only ones that had more 0's and 25's then other votes.
2) out of those 7 puzles, some got very warm remarks from a solver who liked them. And even a few 100 votes.

I didn't do the math, but it seams to me, with all the puzzles on site, only very few would be deleted by any criteria based on percentage that was sugested in this forum. For example, the rule that suggested "the number of 0% voting is at least 50% of the total number of votings", will couse the deleteion of only 7 puzzles, at most, and I suspect other criteria that was sugested here will only remove very few puzzles, while any stricter criteria runs the risk of removing puzzles that many people liked. I must wander if it's worth the affort of bothering to remove them at all!

This site has been around for a long time, and with almost 6700 (non-multi) puzzles listed on this site, only 7 got an avarage vote of 25% or less, I think if this stays the precentage of realy bad puzzles (~0.001%!), Than we can all very well live with that.

Thanks for listening
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/10/04 10:27 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>I'd also like to point out that, looking at the puzzles list by difficulty (without multis, for simplicity), I found that
>1) looking at avarages only 7 puzzles scored an avaraged of 25% or less, which means they are the only ones that had more 0's and 25's then other votes.
>2) out of those 7 puzles, some got very warm remarks from a solver who liked them. And even a few 100 votes.

You cannot see "bad" puzzles because they are not in the site anymore. The last one was removed about a week ago. It had 7% popularity and 100 votes of 0s.

We will NOT remove any puzzle until we are set with new rules. If the new rule is "we are okay with any puzzle" then, no puzzle will ever be removed. We can also point you out when a puzzle becomes candidate for removal upon new rules you'd set.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/11/04 6:31 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
hi,
I agree with talanimal...
I don't think you shuld remove bad puzzles...
Actually, it can be usefull for the author... Maybe when he'll see the law votes, he would improve with his other puzzles...

Now... About how I vote...
I allways try to vote as high as I can...
First of all, when I see it's a new athur I give him some extra credid on his 2 first puzzles...
About the other authors...
1. I look at the becoming picture and see how much I liked it...
2. how difficult it was for me...
And at the end... I write something most of the times...
So that's all from me...

C.U. ALL,
liri748
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/11/04 10:40 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I did give a 0 and a 25% vote in the beginning occasionaly, I stopped doing so. I did always make sure the picture I voted low numbers was made by an experienced author, and I can remember only 3 occasions, one for a religious symbol, 2 because neither me or my boyfriend or my best friend could figger out what the picture was meant to be, even with the title.

But after solving more , I've almost stopped rating puzzles alltogether, with the exeption of some pictures that made my day or pictures that in my opinion where underestimated for whatever reason or authors that need encouragement. I simply enjoy solving and making puzzles, and I rather share my feelings by writing a comment, then by rating it.

The reason is that rating is so much abused by jerks (one solver actually called 'most puzzles lame' ) who usually get no further than solving the real easy puzzles. I really don't want to be part of that.

I wouldn't mind if the 0% rating was removed alltogether; I know by experience that the editors watch each submitted puzzle closely and if it's not alright they write a comment to the author. There is for me no reason to remove puzzles by popular demand. If a puzzle really has a mistake in it, you can always tip off the editors via this forum or by a personal message and that works better than a 0% vote. It's also much more work, so the jerks won't take the effort ;-).

A 1-100% rating will probably be difficult to accomplish, but it would be a nice alternative I think. Anyway, removing puzzles is no longer needed, and it can always still be done quietly if one slips the check before it is placed.

If you still think it should be possible, rules like at least 100 times 0% AND 2 times more 0% than 100% AND a rating below 25% should comply. But creating a puzzle is so much fun and work that I wouldn't wish any author would ever see their work removed. A strict screening before placing works much better.

Greetz, Caro
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/11/04 11:13 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I have never voted 0 for any puzzle nor do I ever intend to. So far, I have not encountered a puzzle that deserved a 0 vote anyway. I have encountered puzzle that I have given 25%, but that is usually for puzzles which are too symmetrical and do not provide a challenge for the solver. I feel that each author has something to contribute by using their creativity and their time and I don't think they should be discouraged from that. Also, I think puzzle ratings depend a lot on individual taste, therefore it should not be used to decide whether or not a puzzle should be taken off the site, but merely give a feedback to the author to strive to do better in the future. What makes me give 100% to puzzle is the final picture, the artistry and originality, and very often to those which make me smile when I complete it.

So, in conclusion, there is no need to take any puzzle off the site, unless it is offensive material, which they are being screened for anyway. The ratings should merely reflect author's level of ability at that time which should mean that they could improve on their skills. Practice makes perfect, after all.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/11/04 6:48 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Just an add on to my previous posting

I personally agree that the puzzles should not be deleted, they represent someones hard work. That said I think that the idea of rating a puzzle on design AND difficulty seperately would be nice because sometimes the computers rating is a bit off. Also, if it would be possible to see who voted what on a puzzle (even if only by the author and the site crew) it would discourage the jerks out there.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/11/04 11:55 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>Also, if it would be possible to see who voted what on a puzzle (even if only by the author and the site crew) it would discourage the jerks out there.

Voting is a private matter. If we haven't had to work on the MultiGriddlers (select the highest vote of each solver on each multi) we wouldn't have known about the multi 0s.

As for the jerks. Just look at the comments. It'll give you a first start to meet them.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/12/04 4:19 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I very rarely vote 0. Actually I am not sure if I ever have. The puzzle would have to be absolutely atrocious or offensive and since the team does a good job of weeding those out before they get published, there really isn't much need for zeros.
I vote 100 if a puzzke was enjoayable to solve and made me smile or really catches my attention and sometimes if it is just a great picture that someone obviously put a lot of hard work into.
--HSpring
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/12/04 3:33 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I still follow the "guide to voting" as much as possible. I only vote a 0 (have I ever done it?) when the endresult is a horrible picture by design AND was no fun solving. If it is only one of these things, I vote 25%.
When it is lots of fun solving and has a great outcome, I vote 75%. I rarely give a 100, because hardly any picture is really perfect in all aspects. But then, nothing in this world is ;-)
Everything else is a 50, simple as that.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/12/04 9:15 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>>1) More than 40 times a 0% voting
>>AND
>>2) the number of 0% voting is at least 50% of the total number of votings.
>
>1) How much more?
>2) Good thinking! Agreed by others?

I think that 50% is a very fair number. That takes into consideration how many people are solving the griddler.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/12/04 9:18 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>First of all, I think this is one of the most interesting threads in the forum so far and the opinions expressed are all very relevant, giving the team plenty to think about!
>
>I've only ever voted 0% once, probably for the same puzzle as the one mentioned above - no title and no discernible picture.
>
>I have now stopped voting altogether because I don't consider it a fair system. The site asks for a vote on the QUALITY of the puzzle and from the comments posted it's patently obvious that a lot of 0% votes are given because
>a) the picture isn't sophisticated enough or
>b) the puzzle is too easy
>All the comments here about the difficulty involved in creating a puzzle and the respect that authors deserve are completely in line with my views, too. New authors and children especially need encouragement and not the harsh comments that are frequently posted by their puzzles. In particular I feel for the first-timers.
>As for puzzles getting 0% because they're too easy, I do feel that occasionally a puzzle's rating doesn't reflect it's real level of difficulty - but that goes both ways. There are some that are rated high and seem easy and some that are easier than I would expect from the rating. but perhaps that's just me having a particularly good or bad day! In general though, the rating is a good indication of the challenge a puzzle presents and solvers should be able to judge beforehand whether a puzzle is going to be easy, so giving a 0% rating for an easy puzzle being too easy is unfair.
>
>On the whole, I do not believe that the voting reflects a true picture of the puzzle's quality. Quite apart from that, the whole idea of "quality" is open to interpretation. So perhaps the answer is to have a slightly more complex voting scheme where solvers are asked to rate the picture, the puzzle and the challenge of each grid. But then perhaps solvers would be put off voting altogether?
>
>On another note, I have also stopped posting comments and in many cases I no longer read other solvers' comments either. It's nothing to do with not having time or being snobbish - I have found too many comments too upsetting and as I'm here for the fun aspect, I do not want to read yet another stupid comment from some rude peabrain who has never learned to show respect for others. I know there are a lot of nice, friendly people on the site but the rude ones spoil it for me, so I stay away from the comments box.

Well said, Punkinuk
>
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/12/04 9:22 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>>I'm just curious too - what do you do with multigriddlers when 1 part has such a low rating that it should be tossed - does the whole multi get tossed, do we keep only the higher rated parts of the multi, or do you keep the whole puzzle?
>
>The way you used to vote for MultiGriddlers is going to be altered. A multi will be votable only after solving all its part. Each multi will get only ONE vote. This way, it is simply impossible to ban one part of a multi.
>
>People who solve puzzles by difficulty will be able to continue solving parts of multis. However, they would not be able to vote unless they completed solving the full multi.
>
>As for the old votes given so far
>If a solver voted more than once for a certain multi, we will take the highest vote and place it as the final voting of this solver.
>
>Hagit

Thank you Hagit,

This is a much fairer way to vote for a multi griddler.

Barb
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/13/04 1:31 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Why vote zero? Because I didn't enjoy solving the puzzle, or it didn't challenge me like it should have.

As for this...
>We would like to remind you that low popularity puzzles with more than 40 zeros are removed from the site permanently.

Well that 40 seems pretty arbitrary, especially as more and more people join. I don't care about the popularity when I'm going into I just like solving. Maybe from now on I'll sort by popularity so I can solve those that might not be around any more.

I urge you to reconsider the 40 vote thing. Maybe move it to a set time deadline and if it has a low popularity, below some set percentage then take if you must take it off the site.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/13/04 9:50 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I have sorted all the griddlers by difficulty and I started to solve them with the easiest. Therefor I have solved more puzzles that I didn't found very nice. And for this reason I've voted probably low. But I think that the nicest puzzles have to come. I would just like to solve them all en that's my strategy.
But I will consider what you wrote, I didn't knew that they really disappeared from the site and I will think about it when I vote again.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/13/04 2:55 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>You cannot see "bad" puzzles because they are not in the site anymore. The last one was removed about a week ago. It had 7% popularity and 100 votes of 0s.
>

I'd like to know some statistics, if I may, about the puzzles that were removed in the old mathod
1) how many puzzles were removed? is there really a large precentage of real unpopular puzzles? (less then 25% avarage)
2) were there any puzzles that were removed with more then 100,000 difficulty rating?
3) how much time did you wait before removing a puzzle? can a puzzle be removed after, say, a year that it had been on site? how many people solved those puzzles before they were removed?
4) were there removed puzzles that had a few high votes? or some very good remarks? maybe some people found those puzzles special, even if most people thoght they were terrible.

I don't expecet accurate numbers, ofcourse. I just would like to have an idea, since my own checks were biased becouse the worst puzzles had already been removed. I need this data to understand the implications of not removing any puzzles at all. I might even change my mind about not removing any -)

Thanks (again) for listening
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/13/04 7:02 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>I'd like to know some statistics, if I may, about the puzzles that were removed in the old mathod
>1) how many puzzles were removed? is there really a large precentage of real unpopular puzzles? (less then 25% avarage)
>2) were there any puzzles that were removed with more then 100,000 difficulty rating?
>3) how much time did you wait before removing a puzzle? can a puzzle be removed after, say, a year that it had been on site? how many people solved those puzzles before they were removed?
>4) were there removed puzzles that had a few high votes? or some very good remarks? maybe some people found those puzzles special, even if most people thoght they were terrible.

There is no way to answer these question. But don't look at the past. The old rules were gone and a new rule was set NO puzzle will be removed unless it has an acute problem, like multi-solutions. We hope the workshop is fixed, but if it happens again we will try to fix those puzzles manually if we can.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/14/04 12:04 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>
HagitM >>You cannot see "bad" puzzles because they are not in the site anymore. The last one was removed about a week ago. It had 7% popularity and 100 votes of 0s.
>>
>
talanimal >I'd like to know some statistics, if I may, about the puzzles that were removed in the old method
>1) how many puzzles were removed?
>
>Thanks (again) for listening
>T.

It looks like 1,227 puzzles were removed. If you list all, there are 7,977 puzzles on the list, and the highest ID number is 9,204. That makes 13.33% removed.

But if every puzzle gets a number as soon as it's created, even if it's never published to be solved, then my figures are not meaningful, except that less than 13% were removed.

I want to thank all the authors on this site for their work. I really enjoy solving, and you make it possible for me. And like others who have commented on this topic, I like working on the difficult puzzles but often don't have the time to get involved. And sometimes I would rather be able to finish one and see how I did on my solving time. So I need easy ones too.

And I thank the Griddlers team. Your enhancements over the last couple of years have given us the choices to save the difficult puzzles and to select the easy ones whenever we feel like it.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/14/04 12:08 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>>
>HagitM >>You cannot see "bad" puzzles because they are not in the site anymore. The last one was removed about a week ago. It had 7% popularity and 100 votes of 0s.
>>>
>>
>talanimal >I'd like to know some statistics, if I may, about the puzzles that were removed in the old method
>>1) how many puzzles were removed?
>..
>>
>>Thanks (again) for listening
>>T.
>
>
>It looks like 1,227 puzzles were removed. If you list all, there are 7,977 puzzles on the list, and the highest ID number is 9,204. That makes 13.33% removed.
>
>But if every puzzle gets a number as soon as it's created, even if it's never published to be solved, then my figures are not meaningful, except that less than 13% were removed.

The way you analyzed the numbers is wrong because of one mistake and one accurate assumption.

Mistake the first missing 300 puzzles were not removed. They were gone because of a problem in the site. When the problem was resolved, those puzzles could not be restored. Accidents happen.

Accurate assumption every puzzle DOES get a number as soon as it is submitted to the site. Only lately we established a new system for publishing puzzles [ you can guess why... -) ] The recent published puzzles do have sequential numbers.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/15/04 3:32 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hi,
i am not voting every puzzle i finished, because i can't feel fine if i vote bad. At the same time, i can't feel fine if i vote very good. because i think that i am not an objective person nor an expert when it is about the puzzles, and i don't want the other solvers to be confused by me. Because when i see a low popularity, i don't really feel like solving it.
For example, when i first came to this site, i wanted to solve the top 10 popular puzzles in the list.
Bega.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/15/04 5:54 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>
>When do you vote 0?
Never have and don't plan on it ;)

What makes a puzzle perfect to gain 100?
One that comes out looking very nice.

Few times have voted on multigridders, have only done so when have completed all of them and vote was for the whole as opposed to just the one section.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/15/04 10:08 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hello,

For which reasons do eliminate you a puzzle apart from the rule from the 40 votes with 0%?

( Pour quelles raisons
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/16/04 12:48 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hi, I never vote zero. I'm new to making griddlers and I have been offendeed by 0 votes i think if you vote zero you should have to leave an explanation. I have puzzles that have all scores 75% or better and someone comes along and votes zero. I even have had others ask how someone could have voted anything low on a certain puzzles.
i dont believe a zero should be an opption. Anyone who attempts to create a puzzle deserves at least 50% for effort. it can be very frustrating to get a puzzle created correctly. i have thrown out 3 times what i,ve submitted and have put in alot of time on submitted ones
once i seen a comment on a puzzle that said "Everyone vote 0% on this get rid of sign puzzles (meaning road signs) this wasnt one i created but it made me angry because the title clearly stated it was a road sign if you dont like them dont try to solve them there may be others that enjoy them i thought that was just rude
I think 0% voting upsets a creater. If it wasn't for others creating puzzles we wouldn't have any puzzles to solve. I love solving griddlers and appreciate all puzzles good or bad. So there are a hundred roses or mice but if they wern't there Griddler's wouldn't exist. Everyone needs to use common sense if your tired if solving mice puzzles dont solve each one just to vote 0 just dont solve and it wont bother you
sorry i ranted on but i'm very irratated by some votes a few of mine have received . i think if they had left the reason why it wouldn't bother me so much not knowing why is irratating. All 0 votes should be forced to leave comment or not allow 0 score to go through
I love all the puzzles were all different with different lives it's interesting to see what others like
Thank you for hearing me out
Dee
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/16/04 5:05 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>>>
>>HagitM >>You cannot see "bad" puzzles because they are not in the site anymore. The last one was removed about a week ago. It had 7% popularity and 100 votes of 0s.
>>>>
>>>
>>talanimal >I'd like to know some statistics, if I may, about the puzzles that were removed in the old method
>>>1) how many puzzles were removed?
>>..
>>>
>>>Thanks (again) for listening
>>>T.
>>
>>
>>It looks like 1,227 puzzles were removed. If you list all, there are 7,977 puzzles on the list, and the highest ID number is 9,204. That makes 13.33% removed.
>>
>>But if every puzzle gets a number as soon as it's created, even if it's never published to be solved, then my figures are not meaningful, except that less than 13% were removed.
>
>
>The way you analyzed the numbers is wrong because of one mistake and one accurate assumption.
>
>Mistake the first missing 300 puzzles were not removed. They were gone because of a problem in the site. When the problem was resolved, those puzzles could not be restored. Accidents happen.
>
>Accurate assumption every puzzle DOES get a number as soon as it is submitted to the site. Only lately we established a new system for publishing puzzles [ you can guess why... -) ] The recent published puzzles do have sequential numbers.
>
>Hagit

Thank you, Hagit, for clarifying.
So 927 puzzles either were never published for solving, or were removed because of low rating. That's about 10% -- and I can't guess how much of the 10% would be attributed to either reason.
Louise.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/16/04 5:20 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
I vote based solely on how good I think it is as a puzzle. Did it make me think and use logic? Good. That's a puzzle. I don't vote based on what the final picture looks like at all. After all, if I want to see a nice picture I'll just go to a clipart site. They aren't limited to 8 colours or a 50x50 size.

Saying that, I vote 50% for puzzles that are basically fill-ins. Outlined ones tend to be like this. Ones with no background colour inside the shape. I also give 50% to the triangled ones where the triangle shows the start and/or end of the line. These puzzles are just too easy for me to figure out where things go.

I give 100% to the puzzles where I had to do mostly thinking.

I give 75% to the puzzles in the middle. Ones where parts were obvious but I did end up having to do some thinking.

Once I started creating puzzles I never gave out less than a 50%.

I definately do take into account the puzzle size and difficulty. A 10x10 puzzle will never make me think like a 50x50 can. I don't expect it to. If I do a puzzle with an easy rating I also shouldn't expect to have to think too much. So if these puzzles are not fill-ins or triangles they tend to get 100%.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/16/04 9:05 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
This is the way I vote
the flow and logic of the puzzle determines my starting vote. if it's enjoyable to solve not too tediouse and not too easy to guess, The starting vote is 100. if it's too tedious it will get a lower basic score.

next I rate the picture. I increas the vote for those who made me laugh or move me emotionaly. also for those who are well thought of. by that i mean that the puzzle fits it's size if a picture is made to be a 50x50, but it can be made smaller without loosing it's quality, i will lower the vote. I don't lower my score for not liking the picture itself.

if the author is new, i tend to be more easy. I let myself be more critical to authors who make many puzzles that i usually like.

I almost always vote, but I put a remark only if I have something meaningful to say. If I vote low I usually give a reason in the remark. also, if I had something to say about the puzzle. I don't say just "nice" or "i don't like it". I try to make my remarks meaningful and helpful to the solvers and the author.
What I realy don't like are votes that say "easy" on a low difficulty puzzle. I also realy don't like the remarks that say "i was here" , or " I solved it first", or "i was the quickest". those remarks have no relevance to the puzzle itself.

I don't vote 0% usually. becouse most of the puzzles have something good in them, it's hard for me to find one that deserves a 0%. but i don't think the lower votes should be banned. there is no point in voting at all if the score can only be high, right?
Authors should have the courage to face the ocasional bad vote or remark. Not everyone will like our puzzles, and not everyone is nice, that's a fact of life. but i also urge the voters to consider the other's feelings when they want to post a negative remark. Be polite, be to the point. give your reasons. let us all enjoy solving and creating, and not take ourselves too seriously.

thanks for listening
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/17/04 4:40 PM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>Hello,
>
>For which reasons do eliminate you a puzzle apart from the rule from the 40 votes with 0%?
>
>( Pour quelles raisons
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/18/04 5:00 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
>I vote based solely on how good I think it is as a puzzle. Did it make me think and use logic? Good. That's a puzzle. I don't vote based on what the final picture looks like at all. After all, if I want to see a nice picture I'll just go to a clipart site. They aren't limited to 8 colours or a 50x50 size.
>
>Saying that, I vote 50% for puzzles that are basically fill-ins. Outlined ones tend to be like this. Ones with no background colour inside the shape. I also give 50% to the triangled ones where the triangle shows the start and/or end of the line. These puzzles are just too easy for me to figure out where things go.
>
>I give 100% to the puzzles where I had to do mostly thinking.
>
>I give 75% to the puzzles in the middle. Ones where parts were obvious but I did end up having to do some thinking.
>
>Once I started creating puzzles I never gave out less than a 50%.
>
>I definately do take into account the puzzle size and difficulty. A 10x10 puzzle will never make me think like a 50x50 can. I don't expect it to. If I do a puzzle with an easy rating I also shouldn't expect to have to think too much. So if these puzzles are not fill-ins or triangles they tend to get 100%.
>

Well said - this is about the way I do it too. I voted zero once only though - the bare butt on a swing one - I just didn't like the content. Any others that I don't like (fill ins) I just don't do any more - as there are so many other wonderful puzzles now. But I don't really like to see anything removed (that is not objectionable) as different people like different things - I even liked all the flags - as they represent ones pride in their country.
0 (0 Votes)

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.