Unable to hide solved puzzle?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Showing 1 - 20 of 25 results.
of 2
Unable to hide solved puzzle?
Answer
5/6/08 2:12 PM
Hi! Suddenly you removed the ability to hide solved puzzles... is this your way of trying to force us to pay for the WebStart thingy? I'd really like to get back the missing display options

RE: Unable to hide solved puzzle?
Answer
5/6/08 3:32 PM as a reply to silentguy.
I totally agree...I'm really upset about this.

Micmaq

Answer
5/6/08 3:53 PM as a reply to Micmaq.
Yes, this is VERY inconvenient: the more you've solved, the harder it is to find your next puzzle.

Makes every search category (except maybe new?) pretty useless.

Answer
5/6/08 5:01 PM as a reply to silentguy.
Ah, now the site officially mentions this... They say it's to "speed up the site"... They could at least have had the decency to say "It's to get you to subscribe"... at least that would have been honest...

Answer
5/6/08 6:20 PM as a reply to mistercone.
mistercone:
Yes, this is VERY inconvenient: the more you've solved, the harder it is to find your next puzzle.

Makes every search category (except maybe new?) pretty useless.

But the unsolved puzzles are still available for you. Yes, it is now inconvenient, but keep in mind, that it is expensive to host a website with such a web-traffic.
You get 40000+ puzzles for free, a very large free available content.
If you love nonograms, why do you not want to support this service?

Answer
5/6/08 7:00 PM as a reply to silentguy.
Yes, it is about performance. In one category there are more than 4000 puzzles , in solving table there are 44 millions records. Each time you are browsing the puzzle list, the database server must take these 40000 puzzles, find YOUR records of solving for them, remove that solved puzzles and sort the rest. Once the server show the list, it can throw it away because nobody else, nor you , will wan to see the same result again. So no caching is possible.

This takes 5 seconds. So if there are 1300 users online and everyone wants to see list of puzzles once per hour it is ..... 7500 seconds per hour , oops one hour has only 3600 seconds.

Browsing without solving filters uses cache on database level, because there are hundred users which are browsing the same category as you, this query takes only 0.05 sec.

Well I agree it is not really convenient and I'll try to find better solution. Maybe I can do filtering different way but then for sure I have to change paging, e.g. I won't count how many pages and filtered puzzles are there, I'll only calculate if there is next page.

Bye Ra100

Answer
5/6/08 9:35 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Ra100, is it possible to help you in analysis and possible solutions? Would be a good way to take at least advantages out of my study - what else should I use computer science for ;)

//edit: Well, you do show when I solved a puzzle if it is solved. So you do still retrieve this information - then why do you not enable the filter again?

Answer
5/6/08 10:21 PM as a reply to Ra100.
I cannot use the Igridd applet on my work computer, and I don't have a computer at home. I usually only save one puzzle at a time so even the reduction in allowed saves didn't matter to me.

The cost of subscribing is the equivalent of one bus ride to work per week and money is so tight that I would have to choose between paying for griddlers and walking 2 miles each way to work, or riding the bus and playing griddlers for free.

Until now I have chosen to continue riding the bus because the benefits of subscribing all seem to be in Igridd.

Not being able to filter out my solved puzzles is a HUGE inconvenience to me and may be the push that gets me to sign up (and get some exercise)...but:

Will I be able to filter solved puzzles on the website or will that only be available with the applet?

Also, I went through the list of reasons to subscribe and these are the ones that matter to meā€¦are all of these features available through the website or are they only in Igridd?

You can save 25 different selections of puzzles and name them in your own words.
The lists of puzzles are executed instantly.
There is no delay when changing filters or sorting differently.
There is easy browsing forward and backwards through the puzzles.
A Score Holder keeps your solved records safe, if you disconnect from the Internet right when you finished solving a puzzle, and registers your score when you reconnect.

Griddlers
You can change the color of the blank grid area and add pattern to it.
There are three drawing modes - free, line, area - which can be switched easily.
A built-in Square Counter helps you to count the number of squares.
The Locked Clues option keeps the clues viewable when scrolling in the puzzle.
There are better key combinations for the X and O markers, and having a 3rd option (X+O).

MultiGriddlers
Each Multigriddler is listed on a single line.
You can filter by Partially Solved.
You can sort by Number of Parts.
You can zoom in/out on the image of the entire multi.

Triddlers
You can change the color of the blank grid area and add pattern to it.
You can change the color of the Grid Line and the Guides.

Answer
5/7/08 7:34 AM as a reply to LadyRose59.
Hi LadyRose,

I'm afraid that for most of those benefits you'd need to use iGridd. The solving applet on the website has not been changed. Once you've subscribed, there are two benefits that are available for you using the old applet: You can use the filter for solved/unsolved puzzles and you can save up to 50 Griddlers and Triddlers.

Jelga

Answer
5/7/08 9:28 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
I'll also say something about the change emoticon . In the first place i'd say i really understand that the team has made some necessary changes. But, i think with this new change you hurt the non-subscribers with a lot of solved puzzles the most. For example in my case, i have solved 13000+ puzzles. I had just 2 small b&w puzzles to solve so i had them all, but right now it takes so much time to search for these ones that i really want to search.. Of course this is a good reason to start with the Igridd, but i'm just an 18 years old guy, who doesn't have the money for these kind of things, so youth will be puzzling less i think!

Well, at least this is how i think about it. :roll:

PS. Is there a sponsor who could pay my contribution for the Igridd? :twisted:

Answer
5/7/08 4:53 PM as a reply to silentguy.
silentguy:
Ah, now the site officially mentions this... They say it's to "speed up the site"... They could at least have had the decency to say "It's to get you to subscribe"... at least that would have been honest...

Maybe you should try subscribing instead of complaining about what it takes to keep a free site free. I highly doubt theres any conspiracy going on here, from what I know of hagit.

Answer
5/7/08 5:48 PM as a reply to silentguy.
You can add all the new features to iGridd you want to try to get people to subscribe, but removing features from the old version is much ruder. And removing "show only not solved" makes the site useless, except for the "New" category.

If I were to subscribe now, it would make me feel like I'd been blackmailed, and that's not acceptable to me. Besides, I don't like the iGridd interface.

UmberGryphon
(who hopes you find a solution everyone will find reasonable)

Answer
5/7/08 9:26 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Ra100:
Yes, it is about performance. In one category there are more than 4000 puzzles , in solving table there are 44 millions records. Each time you are browsing the puzzle list, the database server must take these 40000 puzzles, find YOUR records of solving for them, remove that solved puzzles and sort the rest. Once the server show the list, it can throw it away because nobody else, nor you , will wan to see the same result again. So no caching is possible.

This takes 5 seconds. So if there are 1300 users online and everyone wants to see list of puzzles once per hour it is ..... 7500 seconds per hour , oops one hour has only 3600 seconds.

Browsing without solving filters uses cache on database level, because there are hundred users which are browsing the same category as you, this query takes only 0.05 sec.

Well I agree it is not really convenient and I'll try to find better solution. Maybe I can do filtering different way but then for sure I have to change paging, e.g. I won't count how many pages and filtered puzzles are there, I'll only calculate if there is next page.

Bye Ra100

Okay, taking this into consideration, I can understand your argument... I still think it makes the site quite a bit more useless then before, but thinking back to my courses about database theory I see your problem...

Personally I like what you proposed in the last paragraph... just creating one page of results and maybe a next button... Another thing I could think of is maybe not always updating the filter, meaning you filtered results on your first access but then if you solve an griddler it just gets maked as solved without a new db access... that way it could just weed out the solved puzzles every few reloads or something...

Answer
5/7/08 9:31 PM as a reply to Nico.
Nico:
Well, you do show when I solved a puzzle if it is solved. So you do still retrieve this information - then why do you not enable the filter again?

Well, the way it is now it just has to load the fitting griddles from the griddle-db and then get 30 entrys from the solved db that fit...
with the filter it has to get all griddles, all solves, intersect them and then display 30 results...

And if you are wondering, I still feel kinda blackmailed, but now i have a better understanding for why ;-)

Answer
5/7/08 11:52 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
Jeltje:
Hi LadyRose,

I'm afraid that for most of those benefits you'd need to use iGridd. The solving applet on the website has not been changed. Once you've subscribed, there are two benefits that are available for you using the old applet: You can use the filter for solved/unsolved puzzles and you can save up to 50 Griddlers and Triddlers.

Jelga

Thank you Jelga,

I suspected that was the case and that was a big part of my decision not to subscribe. As much as I enjoy doing the puzzles, and really appreciate all the time, effort and money that the team puts in to the site, it just didn't make sense to me to spend money I don't really have and not any of the extra benefits I would be subscribing for.

As it turns out, my son saw my post and has purchased a subscription for me as my Mother's Day gift and with the amount of time I spend on this site I really believe that it was money well spent even if I won't get all of the features.

Answer
5/8/08 9:05 AM as a reply to Ra100.
This graph shows how many processes are waiting for processor on DB server. You can see that normally each day afternoon and evening the processor is just very busy.
After the change on 6th afternoon there no so peaks.
Attachment

Attachments: graph_image.png (39.1k)

Answer
5/8/08 10:12 AM as a reply to Ra100.
I'm not that technical and don't know exactly what I see in the graph, but... WOW, that's a change. I also noticed it already in iGridd, loadingtimes are a lot faster. Thanks for the effort.

Answer
5/8/08 1:27 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Ra100:

I think I can see some middle ground. For non-subscribers, you could cache copies of their saved lists that include the not solved option. This way, people could have three lists of not solved puzzles to work on. Perhaps doing this over each night during light load time.

People can do puzzles in order from one of three lists and not need to worry about "finding" ones that are not solved.

I`m not sure how easy this would be to implement, and I can see some places where it might have technical problems, but I think it could make a lot of people happier.

Answer
5/9/08 6:47 PM as a reply to lmdemasi.
I don't believe I've ever posted here before, but I've used this site probably for as long as it's been online to satisfy my occasional cravings for griddlers. I was also a little perturbed to see the option to filter unsolved puzzles gone, but as I had begun to solve puzzles in ascending order in a few categories, and as I've only solved maybe 1,000 puzzles in the categories I've so far used, I'm not having any problem avoiding pages and pages of solved puzzles. I'd probably be a bit more perturbed if that was the case.

That being said, I don't believe that removing the option can truly destroy the utility of the site given the other search features we're given. I notice that the "view all" feature isn't there anymore either, so no matter what you do, you have to choose at least one filter for the type of puzzle, right? Or is it that I just haven't figured out how to turn that off? Anyway, if you've been here for a while and enjoy minimalisms, why not include filters to show puzzles in numerical order? That way, it's a good bet that all your finished puzzles will be in the beginning pages of the list, so you'll only have to go through them once, maybe finishing a few you missed, but all the new ones should be near the end of the list, right? You can also show them in reverse order, which would put all the new ones first! Then you won't even have to remember a page number!

What you do lose is the ability to instantly see how many of each type of puzzle you have actually solved, so you'll never be sure you got them all. I'm sure the loss of that ability is very annoying if you pride yourself on keeping all of a certain type of puzzle solved.

I, for one, am extremely grateful that this site has remained free all these years. I'm sure the growing restrictions anger daily visitors a lot more than they anger someone like me who visits in spurts, but even doing things you love - like running websites - can become tedious and, more importantly, expensive. If you are naive about the costs of running a successful website, you'd probably choke on your complaints if the owners posted their base costs (and they should if only to shut us up). If it came down to it, I'd much rather pay $5 a month than run into the message "this site has exceeded it's bandwidth for the month - try again next month" every time I tried to play.

I've found myself doing a bit more griddling these days than I have in the past and I might end up subscribing this time if only to show my appreciation for all the comfort and relaxation this site has given me over the years.

Answer
5/29/08 4:32 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Ra100:

Bye Ra100

well if the current list is cached, simply allowing sorting on "solved" column should do just fine, no?

Showing 1 - 20 of 25 results.
of 2
Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.