Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Pattern Distracting
Answer
11/20/10 2:20 AM
The pattern used to mark undesignated pixels (a question mark) is distracting to me. It interferes with my scan because it's too much of a character. Is there any chance that it could be replaced with the shaded dot used in the Lite version? Or could we have a choice of patterns?

RE: Pattern Distracting
Answer
11/20/10 8:48 PM as a reply to mudshark.
It interferes with my scan because it's too much of a character.

What do you mean by 'my scan'? Are you actually scanning the puzzle and converting it somehow to solve it without the site? In that case I suppose I should not be telling you there is already a solution for you problem...

Answer
12/2/10 2:36 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
By 'my scan' I'm referring to my visual scan, counting how many pixels a segment will extend. Then scanning from the other direction to find the overlap. The question mark slows that process down for me.

I have seen a program that you can type in the clues and it will spit out the solution, is that what you're talking about? I realize that everybody that finishes quicker than the mid time uses it (in other words, everyone faster than me), but I just prefer to do it myself. emoticon

Anyway, I just want a choice of pattern.

Answer
12/2/10 3:45 AM as a reply to mudshark.
If you use the iGridd application, you can turn the pattern on an off. I consider it part of the perks for supporting the website.

Answer
12/2/10 4:57 AM as a reply to Lilyheart.
Thanks Lilyheart, I do that. I'm requesting the Lite version pattern of "shaded dot" to be used when I turn it on, instead of the "question mark" pattern.

Answer
12/3/10 8:29 AM as a reply to mudshark.
Ok, I understand the way you are scanning now. Actually I was referring to iGridd, where you can turn the markers off - so if you were making an actualy scan to read it into a solver, opening iGridd would have been the solution for you. But to be honest, I have no idea if there are people who are really solving that way.

Personally I've turned the markers off from the moment it became possible to do so. I have no idea how many people are still using them. Of course some would probably comment right away that they want it back the way it was if it would be changed according to your suggestion. And I have no idea how complicated it is to change this option. But who knows, maybe if one day Rasto has time...

Have fun solving!

Jelga

Answer
12/4/10 2:20 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
Jelga, thanks for responding. I posted this in the iGridd Suggestion Box group because I don't like the pattern in iGridd. And I realize I can turn it off, but when someone uses a color close to the default background color and I have trouble telling the difference, I turn the pattern on. I use it when I need it.

The question mark pattern in the regular web interface seems lighter and less distracting. Maybe that's the solution, to make the iGridd pattern lighter. Or use the shaded dot from the old Lite app. Or provide a choice to subscribers of iGridd.

At this point I feel like I may be talking in circles. The programmer is Ra, is there a mechanism in place to request changes other than the forum? For example, submitting a trouble ticket? Or a feature enhancement request? I don't want to just bug him with messages.

And as long as I'm on a roll (and since it relates peripherally to this discussion), periodically I get an update to the iGridd application, but there is no version information that I can find, much less a description of the changes that have been implemented. What kind of configuration management is being used, and where can I track changes to the iGridd app?

Answer
12/4/10 11:09 AM as a reply to mudshark.
Hi,
This forum is the perfect place for suggestions like this. Hagit and Rasto keep track of all ideas and decide in between them which ones can be implemented. If a lot of people make the same request, it might happen faster. But of course the most important thing is how hard it is to do and the implications on other parts of the site.

I can't say anything useful about your last question. I know Rasto works on the site constantly, but a lot of the changes are minor. Important things like a different background pattern will be announced in the site news for sure!

Jelga

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.