« Back to Java Problems

Java vs Firefox?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Java vs Firefox?
Answer
1/12/12 3:53 AM
I have not had a good day.  When I powered up the laptop it tried to spend over an hour installing updates.  I had to hit the power button to reboot in order to get some work done.  I started getting error messages and had to unistall then reinstall a couple of programs, including Java.  I decided to unwind by solving a few triddlers and could not get iGridd to launch.  I uninstalled it with the intention of dowloading and reinstalling webstart.  The download files show up in a little Firefox download window but no where else.  Clicking on them just makes another copy of the dowload show up in the window.  I searched the hard drive and iGridd is not showing up anywhere.  Help!

RE: Java vs Firefox?
Answer
1/12/12 6:12 AM as a reply to breckbabe.
I just tried to solve a triddler by selecting it from the website.  I picked one and the top two lines with the description showed up then there was a large blank area and a couple of lines at the bottom.  "Solve" and "vote" etc were missing.  Comments were visible at the bottom.

Answer
1/16/12 7:33 AM as a reply to breckbabe.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Do you still have troubles?
Hagit

Answer
1/16/12 4:07 AM as a reply to hagitm.
I just tried to download webstart.  It added an 865kb file to my downloads list.  When I clicked on it to open it or save it nothing happens.

Answer
1/16/12 7:43 AM as a reply to breckbabe.
breckbabe:
I just tried to download webstart.  It added an 865kb file to my downloads list.  When I clicked on it to open it or save it nothing happens.
I just hope that what you described in your first post doesn't affect everything on your laptop, including Java, Webstart, etc.

Let's try the following:
Can you open iGridd online? Do it from the menu:
iGridd --> Open iGridd Applet

If you use Windows XP (or a previous OS) the next thing I'd suggest is this:
Delete the following directory from your computer -
"C:\Documents and Settings\ < user > \Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment"
(< user > is your name on the computer).
Restart your computer and download WebStart.

I hope it'll help.
Hagit

Answer
1/16/12 2:07 PM as a reply to hagitm.
I'm running Windows 7.  Everything else seems to be running fine.

When I try to open the iGridd applet I get the message about being patient if I'm downloading and nothing else happens.  I checked Task Manager and first it showed that the applet was running but a minute or so later it changed and now the only task that is running is the Griddlers forum.

Answer
1/16/12 4:12 PM as a reply to breckbabe.
I think that you have remnants of files, either of Webstart or Java. My recommendation is to clean up everything: Java, iGridd/Webstart.

There are two places you need to visit and uninstall the programs:
Control Panel --> Java
Select the tab General, click on View under Temporary Internet Files
Mark iGridd and delete it (click on the red X).

2. Add/Remove programs:
Remove iGridd.
Remove ALL Java files, including updates.

Then - install Java and Webstart.

Answer
1/18/12 8:36 PM as a reply to hagitm.
You were right when you said there were probably remnants of old Java updates.  I searched my hard drive for j*update and some other terms.  I found various files that looked like they were remnants of updates 24-27.  I deleted them, ran disk cleanup and reinstalled Java.  I also downloaded Webstart and everything seems to be okay.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.