« Back to Authors Realm

Symmetrical puzzles

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Symmetrical puzzles
Answer
3/30/12 8:42 AM
I read in the Guidelines that symmetrical puzzles are not allowed.

"Totally symmetrical puzzles are very predictable to solve. They are accepted only if the image is designed for kiddlers."

Yet I am continually running across Griddlers that are symmetrical, and they are not designed for kiddlers. Could you please enforce this rule? I solve Griddlers because I love the challenge, and symmetrical puzzles take away half of that challenge - and cause that half to be nothing but a boring fill-in.

RE: Symmetrical puzzles
Answer
3/31/12 1:36 AM as a reply to prof611.
prof611:
"Totally symmetrical puzzles are very predictable to solve. They are accepted only if the image is designed for kiddlers."

I want to clarify one issue about the Kiddlers. We no longer add puzzles to this section. Maybe that's why you thought some symmetrical puzzles weren't designed/selected to be Kiddlers.

In the past the Kiddlers Team reviewed new puzzles every day and added them according to the Kiddlers rules. We set the amount of ~1000 puzzles and decided to stop adding new puzzles because we thought the quantity may intimidate our young (not necessarily by age) users.

The idea is - let the beginners start with the Kiddlers, then - they can try harder puzzles, or stay with what they feel confident enough, like - symmetrical puzzles.

After clearing this up, users are invited to discuss this matter: Should we or should we not have symmetrical puzzles.

Hagit

Answer
3/31/12 9:38 AM as a reply to hagitm.
Since I started this thread, I will put in my 2 cents first. I didn't know about the Kiddlers being limited, so this puts symmetrical puzzles in an entirely new light. They should be allowed, but only if they are added as a filter, similar to triangles, so that those of us who prefer not to solve them can do so. This would also have the benefit of allowing "kids" to graduate to the next stage in puzzle solving skills.

Answer
5/18/12 6:00 PM as a reply to prof611.
It's been quite some time since I proposed a solution to the symmetrical problem. Could we have a decision?

Answer
5/27/12 1:18 AM as a reply to prof611.
prof611:
It's been quite some time since I proposed a solution to the symmetrical problem. Could we have a decision?
I personally don't see anything wrong with symmetrical puzzles.  If they're easy (like a heart or diamond), I can understand that for Kiddlers.  But there are some bigger puzzles that are symmetrical that have a lot of detail for them.
Along that line of thinking, what about a multigriddler that was symmetrical?  What's your opinion about those?

Answer
7/29/12 6:56 AM as a reply to wbennett.
Quoting from my original post: "I solve Griddlers because I love the challenge, and symmetrical puzzles take away half of that challenge - and cause that half to be nothing but a boring fill-in. "

What about my proposed solution??

Answer
7/30/12 5:28 AM as a reply to prof611.
prof611:
Quoting from my original post: "I solve Griddlers because I love the challenge, and symmetrical puzzles take away half of that challenge - and cause that half to be nothing but a boring fill-in. "

What about my proposed solution??
I see & understand where you're coming from.  HOWEVER, the drawback I see about it is where would we draw the line of filters?  What's to say somebody is wanting to only solve pictures of cows in red & black in a 38X43 grid with the title starting with a "Q" over 10,000 points?  I know it's an exaggerated example, but where would we stop filter options?  emoticon

Answer
7/30/12 1:04 PM as a reply to wbennett.
We already have lots of options: solved, color, width, description, points, height, author, triangles. Why not one more?

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.