Forbidden Puzzles?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Forbidden Puzzles?
Answer
7/8/12 8:48 AM
Dear moderators,
I would like to know if there are themes that are automatically banned so that I do not spend my time creating a puzzle that will be automatically rejected.
Last week I created 3 triddlers, Ghandi, Hitler and Britney Spears. Ghandi and Britney were approved and Hitler wasn't. I asked hagit if the reason for rejecting was because of what Hitler represents or if it was because it was a bad triddler (which I do not think it was, in fact I spent almost an hour creating it). She was not the one analyzing and publishing those puzzles.
I think the moderator who rejected my puzzle should have sent me a private message explaining that any nazi symbols or people are not allowed in this site, which I can fully understand. My English is not good enough for me to tell you how much I am totally against Hitler and all his horrendous acts, I even stopped watching movies that show that period and all the suffering.
In my opinion, making a Hitler triddler does not promote his views, or nazis, or anything, it is just a puzzle of a famous person. Famous for a horrible reason but still famous.
You accepted my Lenine and Mao Tse Tung triddlers, which were also dictators that had no respect for human rights.
I would like to know from other authors if they had similar experiences before, and maybe ask the moderators for a list of themes that are not allowed in griddlers.net

RE: Forbidden Puzzles?
Answer
7/8/12 11:45 AM as a reply to ANA_LILI.
Hi Lily,
I'm quite surprised by your message. If you are totally against someone and what he did, why do you create a puzzle of him? Or of Lenin or Mao, for that matter?
I am a moderator of this site, but not of the publisher. However, I know that there is no exact list of subjects that are not allowed. Any kind of list like that would only cause more discussion, because there will always be something unacceptable that is not on it or things on it that are considered innocent by others. That's why there are just general rules like that the puzzle should not be offensive. Of course there's a huge grey area about what is offensive or not. Some people you portrayed are probably very much disliked by some solvers and are allowed in here anyway.

The best thing to do if you are in doubt if your puzzle is acceptable or not, is to contact the team beforehand. Hagit will check with the moderators about what is ok or not before you spend too much time on it.

Answer
7/8/12 11:17 PM as a reply to ANA_LILI.
I was once concerned about a famous female statue that I had done as a triddler. I contacted Hagit and it was allowed. Some people get extremely riled up over the upper anatomy of a female, especially in the U.S. I had a few other statue puzzles that were of male figures but I never was concerned with them even though most were just as "nude."

A few months ago I was doing a nonogram the old fashioned way, in a book, and it was of Saddam Hussein. Given that the book came out during the early 1990s, I could not understand why such a person, especially living, was represented in puzzle form besides that he was often in the news at the time. Had I had the book then, I might have thrown it away solely based on the inclusion of this puzzle. I thought about how the authors of the puzzles were Japanese and maybe they view him differently but I, as a Westerner, just didn't understand it. The book was still represented by an American company (GAMES) and they could probably have edited this one out but didn't.

I usually create subject matter that is personal to me and I know about. I don't seek controversy. I realize it's about perspective and who's perspective. I personally prefer to champion artistic themes. I believe if "infamous" can be labeled to something, it's best to avoid it.

Answer
12/17/13 10:14 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
As I said before Jeltje, I create portraits of famous people, historical figures.

Although I now know that Lenine and Mao were dictators that did horrible things to their people, in my country (Mozambique) they were very much praised during the comunist years. In fact we have in Maputo very important avenues with their names: Karl Marx, Vladmir Lenine, Mao Tse Tung, Kim Il Sung, etc.

I understand your point, and I will keep away from those from now on.

Answer
12/21/13 7:07 AM as a reply to ANA_LILI.
I'm sad that even in Griddler Land we must bow to pressure to only create puzzles of a politically correct nature.  (Which still doesn't explain why my excellent multi of Emily Ratajkowski was twice rejected, by the way...)

Answer
12/30/13 8:29 AM as a reply to Jeltje.
I am afraid that the list exists.
Happy Year subject nor last year, nor this year there was not  puzzle. A few days ago I made a New Year's puzzle, and has been rejectted.

Answer
12/30/13 11:27 AM as a reply to meszi.
I sent in a puzzle entitled 'One foot in the grave' ,which is a common english saying, which I set in a graveyard for obvious reasons.
It was rejected with no reason given but I presume the graveyard setting might upset some of the more sensitive members.
I would love to see some a much wider range of puzzles allowed through by the censors (that's basically what they are) which cover subjects outside of the snails, flowers, buildings and triangles type which we seem to have a plethora of.

Answer
12/30/13 12:00 PM as a reply to meszi.
meszi:
I am afraid that the list exists.
Happy Year subject nor last year, nor this year there was not  puzzle. A few days ago I made a New Year's puzzle, and has been rejectted.
Really, there is no such list. And especially not about days of celebration. In fact, if you check today's new puzzles you'll see a nice surprise!

Jelga

Answer
12/30/13 12:51 PM as a reply to jingai.
jingai:
I would love to see some a much wider range of puzzles allowed through by the censors (that's basically what they are) which cover subjects outside of the snails, flowers, buildings and triangles type which we seem to have a plethora of.
I don't know why your puzzle was rejected, but keep in mind that every days loads of puzzles are being sent into the publisher. Checking them is not censorship - it is taking care of the quality of the site. It is a lot of work and there is just no time to tell everyone why their puzzle was not accepted.

Please keep on sending original images!  Of course your image should be within the general rules. If you are in doubt about some kind of interesting image, send a message to the team, they will tell you if the image is good enough to spend more time on to turn it into a good puzzle.

Jelga

Answer
12/30/13 2:08 PM as a reply to Jeltje.
Oh, I see! Thank you very much.
I wish to Griddler-team Happy New Year with this, I hope you will like it.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.