« Back to Get Help in Solving

Number Logic Straights 3147 Length 9

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Number Logic Straights 3147 Length 9
Answer
7/18/12 9:37 PM
Can anyone provide a logical next step that either furnishes a number or eliminates a smaller one? The last step I took was deducing that the 3 in column 2 must be in row 1 or 2.
Attachment

Attachments: 3147.png (37.1k)

RE: Number Logic Straights 3147 Length 9
Answer
7/27/12 7:28 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
Some people do not like to use this line of reasoning, as they consider it to be "cheating."  If the second entry on the first row was not 4, then you would have a 2x2 square of 3 and 2.  You could make it 23/32 or 32/23 and it would work.  Since these puzzles must have a unique solution, this cannot occur, so the entry must be 4.

RE: Number Logic Straights 3147 Length 9
Answer
7/27/12 9:00 AM as a reply to lmdemasi.
I did not notice that but I do understand what you mean. I don't think of it as cheating but it's more of an exploit of the rules of the puzzle. I definitely don't believe it should be a necessary step/skill to solving this puzzle. There must be a more direct approach to finding the 2 or the 3 in the 2nd column that eventually deduces that the top square is a 4. Even if the 4 is placed, I don't see it producing necessary progressive steps. I try working backwards but it rarely helps. Thanks for your effort though.  

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.