« Back to Get Help in Solving

Need help!! Please!!

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Need help!! Please!!
Answer
8/16/12 10:35 AM
Hi! I've been trying to solve this puzzle for 18 months!! I will go crazy if I don't find a way to solve it! It is so hard! Please someone try to solve it and help me!

On this screenshot you will see marked solved fields that are 100% correct! But I simply can't go further on. I have mistake all the time..

Puzzle is called Director, and I think that when it's solved, it should be picture of Woody Allen, but I'm not sure.. Please someone help me!

RE: Need help!! Please!!
Answer
8/16/12 6:32 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Assuming everything is correct, there are a few spots you can do something that I noticed. In column 15, row 27-30, the clue you have placed must be either the 1 or the first 2 clue. If it is the first 2 clue you must place a background at row 29 and the 1 clue would go at row 30 of that column. If it is the 1 clue, background must be from row 28-30. This means the box at c15, r29 must be background.

In column 20, row 26-30, you need the 3 clue to fit somewhere in there. If the clue you placed is part of the 3 clue, it must extend downward two additional spaces. If it is the first 1 clue, then the 3 clue must go below it. Either way the box at c20, r28 must have a clue placed there.

In column 8, row 9, you forgot to put background after the 4 clue. This will in turn help you with column 8 to see that the two clues have to be part of the 3 clue in that row.

This should be plenty to help you keep going. Good luck.

Answer
8/16/12 8:04 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Thank you very much! Could someone help me more, please!! I beg you to help me with more hints!!

Answer
8/18/12 7:01 AM as a reply to layzerod.
I made a little progress, but I'm stuck. Can someone please help me to solve it?

Answer
8/18/12 10:01 AM as a reply to layzerod.
It's a little harder to tell the grid lines. Why isn't it in the same program?

Regardless here's another spot you can work. Look at the 7 clues in the first two coulmns. Using MLS you can determine that they must extend upward and form the 2 clue in that respective row. The reason for this is because if either of the 7 clues extended down by one, the 1 clue in that row would force the other 7 clue up and then the 2 clue has to be placed. Since you can't have a clue of 8, both the 7 clues must go up. Of course this also means that the 6 clue to the right can be placed correctly now. Don't forget to use backgroud either such as at c4,r17 and two spots right of the 5 clue in r11. Keep working at the edges and I'm sure you'll find steps to proceed.

Answer
8/18/12 2:39 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Thank you for your help cosmictrombonis!! I did what you told me in previos post and I solved some parts of the image. But again, I'm stuck... Please see what can I do next!! Thank you for your time and your help!

Answer
8/19/12 2:16 AM as a reply to layzerod.
This one appears like it will take some serious advanced logic to solve it. Try to work near borders to find spots, like the one I'm about to tell you. The amount of progression may seem to go nowhere at times but often the small steps move forward eventually.

In columns 1&2, you have a 1,1,2 clue set left and a 1 clue left, respectively. If that bottom portion, which must be part of the 2 clue in c1, is placed upwards then the 1 clue in c2 is placed by the 3 clue in the row six from the bottom. However you must now place the two 1 clues above that 2 clue in column 1 and you'll see that they will only fit one way. The top 1 clue must go to the right as defined by the 2 clue in that respective row. This in turn creates two 1 clues in c2 but we know this cannot be. Therefore the 2 clue in c1 must go down. This is an expanded version of MLS that requires a few more steps.

I can't see any more steps other than this right now but if there was a grid I probably would. 

Answer
8/19/12 6:36 AM as a reply to layzerod.
Hey, here is an updated picture. However, it's just a small update. But, I added grid to the picture, so I hope it will help you in finding more spots that can be solved!

Answer
8/19/12 8:44 AM as a reply to layzerod.
Please see the following attachment. I had a detailed writing about what I did but forgot to copy it and since there was some server issue when I was trying to post, it didn't and I lost it. It shows a non-possibility and determines placement of two clues in r29. Once they have been made, see below.

See that at r29, c13, the 1 clue cannot be placed there as there is overlap of the 3 clue and produces the same result in r26 as seen in the photo. If you still need help let me know but it would be good if you can figure out a few more moves after the techniques I've discussed. I'm wagering it deals with the 4 clue in r26 and which 2 clue from c9/c13 it is.
Attachment

Attachments: 1.png (82.3k)

Answer
8/19/12 9:43 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
Thank you for the attachment.. I manage to solve some clues with it.. But I need help further on. I hope it's not a problem for you..

Here is the picture:
Attachment

Attachments: 123_Director1234.png (81.4k)

Answer
8/19/12 8:50 PM as a reply to layzerod.
I don't mean to sound incredulous but it seems like only I'm solving this. Regardless, I'm here willing to help. If you win a prize for this, be sure to send me half of it emoticon.

The x at c13, r29 was mentioned previously. The x at c17, r19 is because if the 3 clue in that row goes there, a 2 clue forms in c19 which cannot be.

Starting with the orange square, we are assuming the clue at c11, r26 is the 1 clue so the bottom of c11 can be background. From this r27 can be filled in and overlap occurs in r29 with the 2 and 3 clues in that row. In c9, we now have to put background at r25 and the two 3 clues in that row must be placed to the left. This in turn leads to background at c7,r26. The 2 clue in r26 can only fit where the light green is and this in turn causes a 4 clue in c3 assuming other steps were done before (could be seen as a 3 clue if the 2 clue in row 28 wasn't placed). Since all this MLS lead to a non-possibility, it means c11,r25 must be a clue portion of the 4 clue in that column.

If you try this another way and assume c10,r25 is the 1 clue, the same thing will happen but in a different direction. The 3 clues to the left show up right away and the invalidation occurs at the same spot. I looked at it both ways to be sure. What we know now is that the clue at c10,r25 must be the second 3 clue and have one portion go to the right (the orange square area). 

I know this is a lot of work for one step but it is required. I'm fairly certain these deductions will be required until the end.
Attachment

Attachments: 1.png (83.5k)

Answer
8/20/12 8:08 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
Hey.. I'm not going to win a prize for it when it solved, but if there was a prize, I would give you half of it for sure! emoticon

About puzzle... I'm posting picture here with the orange square added to original picture, and I will keep working all day on it, so if I succeed in solving some pieces of picture, I will update my post. If not... then I hope you will help me again.. emoticon

Hope to hear from you soon with some new clues solved!!! emoticon
Attachment

Attachments: 123_Director1234.png (81.3k)

Answer
8/20/12 9:27 PM as a reply to layzerod.
EDIT: AHH!!! Please subtract 5 squares from the top in regards to row. So r30 is now actually r25.

First off, please put the red Xs in. They are just as important as the clues that are placed.

1a) Here we are assuming the 3 clue starts at the border in c6. The 1 clue in r22 must be placed at c5 and orange Xs are placed at r25, c5 and 7. Since the clue in c5 must be part of the 2 clue, orange x at r24. The 2 clue in c7 can be placed. Orange Xs to the left. The two 2 clues in c3 and 5 must go up. There is a non-possibility created. Therefore red X at c6,r25.

1b) Here we keep assuming with the 3 clue in c6. Orange X placed at r24,c4 which leads to Xs in r23, c4 and r23, c3. Also X at r21, c6. 2 clue in c3 goes up and 2 clue in r21 goes right and 2 clue in c4 goes up. 3 clue in r20 goes right. C6 is done but just for reference. C7 has overlap of the 3 and 2 clues (Edit: Only the 2 clue is overlap the 3,1,1 set would have to fit at top but it's not important). C5 from r23-25 is background. No space to fit 2, 1, 4 clue set in c5. Therefore red X at r24, c6.

1c) Starting with assumption that 2 clue (orange squares) from r24 is right of recently placed X at r24,c6. Now orange slashes to left in r24 and other necessitated areas. Orange slash must be at r23, c4 and c3. 2 clue in r26 goes right and background for remainder. 2 clue from row 23 has overlap in only place it can fit. 3 clue cannot fit from c6. Therefore 2 clue from r24 must be to left of red X. 

Here you can see three steps I discovered with some careful looking and advancement. If you have an assumption that can advance too far, you may have the correct orientation. If advancements are too small to foresee any non-possiblities, try somewhere else. I'm still predicting that this bottom area is where one must work. Always try the biggest clues and orientations in which clues are forced with minimal space as possible between them to see if non-possibilities present themselves. 

If you still need help, update the picture again and I'll take another look. It's much longer to do this in paint than in an actual solving grid.
Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: 1a.png (286.5k), 1b.png (286.4k), 1c.png (286.5k)

Answer
8/21/12 10:11 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
Hey, I managed to solve some parts of the picture, and I need you help again. I just don't know what to do next!

Here is the picture:
Attachment

Attachments: 123.png (81.4k)

Answer
8/21/12 10:15 PM as a reply to layzerod.
See what happens if you place a clue at c5, r27. Also see what happens to the 2 clue in row 30 from c12-14.

Answer
8/22/12 7:29 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
I've done what you said and here is the pic... I don't know what to do next... emoticon
Attachment

Attachments: 123.png (81.3k)

Answer
8/22/12 9:41 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Look at c14. Then look in particularly at r25, c14-15. Something can be deduced about c14. This move should help a lot.

Answer
8/23/12 4:43 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
I don't know! I can't do anything there, because clue 1 can go in c14 or in c15.. Do you have more hints about this one?

Answer
8/23/12 7:20 AM as a reply to layzerod.
And what happens if it is in c15? Remember to look at multiple places. You can deduce where the other 1 clue in c14 must go between two places. You already have one of the two 1 clues, but it isn't marked off because before you couldn't deduce which it was. Now you can. If you still don't follow, I'll let you know but you'll gain more confidence if you find it yourself.

Answer
8/23/12 10:50 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
I found it, finally!! Thanks! emoticon
Please give me my next mission!! Can't wait for your reply!!

Here is picture:
Attachment

Attachments: 123.png (81.9k)

Answer
8/23/12 5:30 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Hey cosmictrombonis!!!

I've got a great news!! I SOLVED picture!! After months and months of trying, I finally managed to solve this puzzle!! I couldn't do it without your help!! So, thank you so much for helping me here... I also learned some advanced techniques of solving griddlers here on the forum with you!!

So, until I stuck on some other puzzle, goodbye!! emoticon
Attachment

Attachments: 123 - Director.jpg (197.6k)

Answer
8/23/12 8:15 PM as a reply to layzerod.
Great job, it looks like you found some significant point of advancement. If you can do a puzzle like this on your own, nothing should be too hard. Again well done.

By the way, it looks like Marty Scorsese to me but could just as well be Woody too.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.