« Back to Get Help in Solving

Need help with puzzle 124628 (Solved)

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Need help with puzzle 124628 (Solved)
Answer
8/20/12 9:28 PM
The only comment on this puzzle is that the solver had to guess once. I didn't think griddlers that required guessing were allowed, that ones solvable only by logic were permited. Bt I may be wreong. Here's what I hve so far. It isn't much, but I just can't seem to find the next step. My only guess at where I *might* be able to go is indicated by the circle, but I don't see how. I just want a step that can get me going, I don't want it solved. ^_~

And it doesn't seem like the whole image is going through (Though it may fix when I post it) Anyways, here's a link to the pic http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/kovu-kun/124628-1.jpg )

RE: Need help with puzzle 124628
Answer
8/20/12 7:39 AM as a reply to kovusan.
You are absolutely right about the 14th row! In this row, column 4 must be background.

Answer
8/20/12 8:52 AM as a reply to Jenny84.
I'm not sure why row 14 column 4 would have background (yet) but row 15 definitely needs it. Using MLS, the 8 clue cannot include columns 3-6 because of the triplicate 1 clues created in row 14 once the column clues are filled in. Once the right portion of the 8 clue is placed, this will allow you to place the 4 clue from row 14.

Answer
8/20/12 8:54 AM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
The clue Jenny84 provided is SLS. If the black in that row is the 1-clue, everything left of it is background, if the black is part of the 4-clue, the spot indicated in column 4 is background as well --> you can mark it as background!

Maarten

Answer
8/20/12 6:15 PM as a reply to dreamtheater.
Wow, thank you all for your help! I see now what you mean, and I know what spot to fill. This one was tricky, never enountered one like this. (Though I don't solve too many hard ones ^^;) But it all does make sense. Now I have something new to help me solve puzzles. Though, I am curious, what is MLS and SLS? Can't say I'm familiar with these terms.

Answer
8/20/12 8:19 PM as a reply to dreamtheater.
Whoops, I see Jenny's reason now. It must have been so late I couldn't do SLS better than MLS lol emoticon.

Kovu-SLS is single line solving; MLS multi-line. Essentially all the puzzles on this site require SLS. I do not believe I've ever come across one that requires multiple MLS to progress. It can be used however to work on another portion of a puzzle instead of looking for that possibly one single place that SLS will lead to further completion of a puzzle. Hence what help I offered here; instead of just putting an X, I gave you a whole new region to work. Of course that new X allows you to work that column as well as some of the region I offered. The deductions and progression usually vary in whichever method you choose.

Answer
8/20/12 9:27 PM as a reply to cosmictrombonis.
I see. Well, thank you all for your help! I was able to solve thegriddler thanks to your help!

^_^

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.