« Back to Java Problems

New Java security issues

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
New Java security issues
Answer
1/28/13 10:52 AM
On advice from the US Dept of Homeland Security, and many other gurus, I disabled Java in both my browsers. I was still able to do puzzles using the iGrid Applet, since it doesn't run in a browser.

When I tried to run the applet today, it wouldn't start, because it "Failed to validate certificate." So I went to the Griddlers website to try to download the applet again, but I can't do that because the "Download Webstart" page is in Java. Consequently I can't use that page, since I'm now in a browser again.

Catch-22!

After reading the previous thread, I decided to adjust my Java security settings, but I can't do that either, since I'm afraid to download the latest Java version, and the version I'm using doesn't have the sliding scale to enable this.

Guess I'll have to sit out another long period without my griddlers! ( That's why I'm afraid to update my Java. Every time I've done this before, the new version won't run the applet for about a month, until the Java programmers fix it. )

---
Professor

RE: New Java security issues
Answer
1/28/13 11:25 AM as a reply to prof611.
Hi
you should be able download the file igrdd.jnlp and run it (using Java Webstart) out of the browser even when the java is disabled in browser. If there is some error, please send mi the screenshot.

It should be also safe to install latest Java version from Oracle. According to http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA13-010A.html 7u11 fix this threat.

Rasto.

Answer
1/30/13 2:25 AM as a reply to Ra100.
Hi -

Thanks fo the reply.

When I try to download igrdd.jnlp, using the WebStart tab above, it takes me directly to a Google search page, so that won't work. If I click on "Open iGridd Applet", it requires me to update Java, so that won't work either.

I started to update to Java 7 Update 11, but it requires me to shut down my computer. So I'll do it later - right now I have 23 items in my Taskbar that I really don't want to close.

---
Professor

Answer
1/30/13 6:51 AM as a reply to prof611.
oops my typo, correct url is http://igridd.com/igridd.jnlp , there was missing i in igridd.

Answer
1/31/13 12:58 AM as a reply to Ra100.
OK. I installed Java 7 Version 11. And I downloaded igridd.jnlp. But it won't run.
Application Error
Unable to launch the application.
ERROR: Unable to load resource: http://igridd.com/jars/igApplet4.12.jar
So I still can't do puzzles!!!

Answer
1/31/13 6:54 AM as a reply to prof611.
Hi
I guess the file name is igApplet412.jar e.g. without dot, just typo.
The problem can be firewall, proxy server, antivirus. One of them blocks downloading jar files.
1. Try to download file http://igridd.com/jars/igApplet412.jar from the browser.
2. If it works, go to Control Panel -> Java. General -> Network Settings. There are 4 options, so you can try to change them depending on your internet connection.

Rasto

Answer
1/31/13 12:55 PM as a reply to Ra100.
Hi -

I had already tried the applet after disabling my ZoneAlarm and AVG, but got the same error.

I was able to download the JAR file, but no matter what Network Settings I use, I still gey the same error.

The error message contains loads of information, in "Launch File", 'Exception", and 'Wrapped Exception" tabs, which I can give you if you need it.

Answer
1/31/13 6:15 PM as a reply to prof611.
Last chance is Windows Firewall. You must explicitly tell to firewall that application javaws.exe (Java Webstart) has access to internet.
Normally if your Windows Firewall is active, it asks for each new application which wants to access internet if it can.
Rasto.

Answer
2/4/13 7:21 AM as a reply to Ra100.
Windows Firewall is disabled on my computer, so your suggestion won't help.

However, this kind of stalemate has happened to me several times in the past. I just have to wait until the Java developers fix whatever it is that prevents me from using it for iGridd. I don't like being without my griddlers, but there's no choice.

With that in mind, I made my weekly try at using the iGridd applet. I now have updated Java to Version 7, Update 13. I get a popup that I've seen before, but I can't remember the way around it.

"Opening igridd.jnlp
You have chosen to open igridd.jnlp
which is a : JNLP File (870 bytes)
What should Firefox do with this file?
* Open with
* Save File"

What do I open it with? Nothing works!

Answer
2/4/13 7:29 AM as a reply to prof611.
The JNLP file should be associated with Java Webstart. Exe file is located somewhere in Program Files\Java\some version\bin\javaws.exe .

Answer
2/4/13 9:03 AM as a reply to Ra100.
Ra100:
The JNLP file should be associated with Java Webstart. Exe file is located somewhere in Program Files\Java\some version\bin\javaws.exe .

Tried this. It does nothing at all. So I went to the Java Control Panel > Java Runtime Environment Settings to add javaws.exe . It will not do this.

Answer
2/4/13 9:19 AM as a reply to prof611.
Right click on .jnlp file - Open with .. and select javaws.exe.
Attachment

Attachments: OpenWith.png (69.1k)

Answer
2/4/13 1:00 PM as a reply to Ra100.
DId that. Got a popup telling me to change my security settings. So  I set them to the bottom of the scale, and did it again. Got the original error message. Guess there's no way to use the applet until their experts fix the usual bug.

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.