« Revenir vers All About You

Curiouser and Curiouser!

Vue combinée Vue Plate Arborescence
Threads [ Previous | Suivant ]
Affichage des résultats 1 - 20 parmi 69.
de 4
Curiouser and Curiouser!
Réponse
18/06/04 02:11
First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!

Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?

Tell me! Tell me!
Thanks!
Chef D

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser!
Réponse
19/06/04 00:18 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I am a single mum of two young children aged 3 (a girl) and 6 (a boy). Obviously my time is spent looking after the children, and the home but that is by day.........................

At night, when the children are in bed and sound asleep it is mums time !!!!!

Griddlers help me to relax, and do something I enjoy doing. It also helps keep my brain ticking over. For no matter how much I enjoy my children, I need some stimulation.

So thank you griddlers team for saving my sanity.

>First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!
>
>Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Réponse
19/06/04 01:00 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I'm a stay at home mom, too. My son is only a few months old.
When he's asleep, I play Griddlers to keep my brain alive.

Réponse
19/06/04 01:19 en réponse à chefmomster2.
Hi.

I'm a college student earning a degree in physics, and eventually engineering. I solve griddlers to relax after class, but also keep my brain active so I'm not bored silly when there's no homework to do (which isn't often. ;))

NS1

Réponse
19/06/04 01:45 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I'm a software developer. I solve griddlers and triddlers every now an then throughout the day (mostly when I'm waiting for something to complet, such as when I'm compiling something). I also solve them in my free time at home.

I like the challenge and stimulation of them, and I try to keep up with the triddlers as best as I can. So far, I've been successful at completing every triddler that has been created and keeping up with all of the new ones. With all of the griddlers and the amount of new ones every day, I've given up the hope of solving every one of them any time in the foreseeable future. -(

I even like to create a puzzle every now and then and currently have 6 up on this site (3 gridders and 3 triddlers).

Réponse
19/06/04 02:05 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I am basically a stay at home mom. I have four girls, 1, 4,5, and 7. I am attending college to get my accounting degree. I am only getting the degree so if something happens to my husband we have a back up plan. My life is devoted to my kids.
I solve both griddlers and triddlers in the morning while kids watch their cartoons and at night to relax.
Dolphin

Réponse
19/06/04 02:24 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I am a kindergarten teacher. I love working puzzles of any kind and I especially love Griddlers! Some days, I feel as though I may scream after dealing with 20 5&6 year olds during the day! Griddlers relaxes me and keeps me sane!

>First I'd like to thank the many of you who satisfied this old cat's curiosity by telling me the origin of your names and how you found griddlers! I have LOVED every single story!
>
>Now, I have a new obsession! What do you DO? I wonder if there is a common thread to the occupations of Griddler-devotees. I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs. So, tell me what you do and how, if at all, Griddlers impacts your work. Does it sharpen your wit, improve your logic skills/give you an illicit break from what you ought to be doing? Do you actually USE griddlers on the job? Teach them in school, for example? What use COULD they serve if you used your imagination and creativity?
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Réponse
19/06/04 02:44 en réponse à chefmomster2.
Another teacher here! I teach ESL ( English for Second Language Learners) to K5 through 5th Grade youngsters during the regular school year. This summer I am teaching reading and math to at-risk 4th Graders for our Summer Academy. Griddlers is both relaxing and mind stimulating. But, at this time, it's an avoidance technique. I should be finishing my master's thesis and inservice program. However, I find that working the Griddlers clears my mind so that I can concentrate and be more productive...is this a rationalkization for my wasting time or what?!?! No, I do not use Griddlers with my students. Most of them have enough trouble with basics.

Linda
Lebanon, PA USA

Réponse
19/06/04 05:15 en réponse à chefmomster2.
Retired physician. Have always loved numbers. I spend most of my time in my woodshop, playing poker, and in the yard. My wife is an early to bed (1100) person and I stay up another few hours and spend some of that time on this site.

Another plug for the Griddler Team. I would like to see more stars. At this time, there are 67 users on line and only 2 stars. I would like to see this site go a lot faster, but the team cannot do it without some help from more of us.

Réponse
19/06/04 06:08 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I'm a Mental Health Counselor currently working with convicted sex offenders, the majority of whom were recently released after many years incarceration. I print off the 50X50 griddlers and work on them when I need a break from the some of the intensity of the job. I find that carrying a clipboard of griddlers also makes me look like I'm busy with paperwork ;) They also come in handy for killing time when I've got 'down time' (e.g. waiting to testify in court, during over-extended administrative meetings, etc.) And then in the evenings and weekends, I always make some time to solve a few on line.

Réponse
19/06/04 07:11 en réponse à chefmomster2.
> >I have noticed many members in math/science/technology fields and also in the academic area and even social service oriented jobs.

Well that's me! I have a bachelor's in math, and love to read all that I can on the subject. I'm working on another degree in women's studies. I do all sorts of volunteer work for local non-proftis, that social service category. Here's the thing, my favorite job was working with young women, in an after-school program, definetly a service oriented job. The thing is I love school so much I'll probably end up in some sort of academic feild.

Griddlers keep me thinking, and I love that.

Réponse
19/06/04 07:29 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I'm a PhD student in molecular biology. I don't have time to griddle at work, but (almost) every evening at least a part is spent at griddlers. And I have to admit I get up an hour earlier just to do some griddlers before I go to work....
Marije

Réponse
19/06/04 08:02 en réponse à chefmomster2.
Chef, you curious cat! )

I work as an editor in the largest Slovak publishing house (which is not large in comparison to the largest publishing houses in the rest of Europe LOL). I never quite liked maths back at school, but I always loved logical puzzles of all sort. A couple of years ago (well, some 7 years ago, to be precise) I discovered griddlers in a newspaper and I became addicted almost instantly. So when I discovered this site, it was quite normal that I have become a regular visitor to this site.

I do most of griddlers at home - just for the fun of it (and as a relax). But when I'm fed up with my work (which isn't often) I do griddlers even at work. When I need a break, I make some coffee and griddle ).
I gave up teaching it other people unless they ask me. Most of the people I know think I'm "strange" when they see me filling empty squares but I don't mind. They don't know what fun is hidden behind it, do they? LOL

But Chef, you didn't reveal YOUR story. Will you do it for us? We're curious too!

Dominika.

>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Réponse
19/06/04 13:38 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I'm a work at home mom. I have a degree in computer science and now do mostly ColdFusion web development. I have 3 kids, all under 5, and sometimes I griddle and triddle to escape. I usually do a few in the morning to help my brain wake up, and will work on a really hard one at night - the kind where you go over and over it, trying to find just one more box to mark - to help me fall asleep. I first discovered these puzzles in Games Magazine, and got their book. I worked and then erased those puzzles until the paper was worn out! I am very grateful to have a virtually unlimited supply now!

Carol in Gatesville, TX

Réponse
19/06/04 13:46 en réponse à chefmomster2.
>But Chef, you didn't reveal YOUR story. Will you do it for us? We're curious too!
>

Sorry, Dominika, what was I thinking?

I was a teacher for several years working with 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English and History students, but at that time I didn't even know Griddlers existed. More recently my time has been spent with 2-5 year olds as a Media Center Paraprofesional- mostly reading stories and teaching library skills. (Not much use for Griddlers with the 2year old set, I'm afraid!) but, while working at the school I got to know one of our teachers for the Gifted.

I had an absolutely wonderful time one day when I made arrangements to go into her classroom and teach Griddlers to her 5th and 6th grade students. It was fabulous! Some of them had no use for Griddlers- it's more than just IQ, it's also drive and persistence and many of these kids feel the need to succeed instantly or they give up. However, there were a precious few who ask me about Griddlers to this day.

I also substitute teach at the school and now that we have the minimalist puzzles and the super-easy kiddlers, I intend to keep a ready supply with me. You never know when extra activities will come in handy when you're called upon to fill in for a teacher at the last minute!

I can see SO many uses for Griddlers with children and young adults! Not only for teaching logic, but what about maps of continents, states or nations? Great works of art or historic persons or buildings? What a way to involve the students and get them to really take a detailed look at the subject!

Not surprisingly I'm seeing a lot of stay-at home moms (as I was for 6 years. Anything to keep your mind above the level of a screaming 2-year old! You know you're in trouble when you find you're humming the latest songs from Sesame Street instead of the latest Top 10 hit!

Thank you to all of you who have responded so generously with your ideas.
Chef )

>

Réponse
19/06/04 14:21 en réponse à chefmomster2.
When I told my boss I was pregnant he got very angry and told me he would do everything to get me sacked. He also said that I would most probably miscarry since close to 40% of every pregnancy ends with a miscarriage. Five weeks later I miscarried...

Today I am unemployed and use Griddlers to keep my mind going. Griddlers is one of the reasons I turn on my computer almost every day. And I make use of the time to e-mail my friends, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise...

But hey... I'm glad I don't have to see my boss anymore anyway! -)

Réponse
19/06/04 15:27 en réponse à chefmomster2.
>
>
>Tell me! Tell me!
>Thanks!
>Chef D

Leave it up to you, Chef, to come up with another great link.

I am a licensed Medical Technologists who will within the next few months be changing from managing a 5 doctor physicians office laboratory to a 34 doctor, 17 office laboratory. Doing griddlers helps relieve some of the stress of this transition. I have always had a passion for puzzles especially logic or mind games. I came across griddlers in game magazine and immediately fell in love with them so I was thrilled when I found this site. I do griddlers at work, both on paper and on line during lunch or any other slow time. I don't have as much time to do them now as I have in the past, but I still try to get in an hour or so in the evening. I always have a few 50 X 50 griddlers with me to work on. I have found that this site is not only a great site for griddlers but also a great site to make friends. I have made some really great friends and with the message capabilities it's so easy to keep in touch with them. You have to figure that the people on the site have the same interests as you do. How often in the "real" world do you find that?

Love ya Chef,
Barb

Réponse
19/06/04 18:26 en réponse à chefmomster2.
First of all, Griddlers has nothing to do with my job. I work for JLG Industries ( for those of you who are unfamiliar with them, we make Diesel and electric powered boom lifts - the second largest supplier globally). Griddlers for me is just a natural extension of a lifelong passion for logic puzzles. I have always found that working my brain is the best way to relax and unwind. As for possible uses, I had a trig teacher years and years ago who used logic puzzles for extra credit work.

As always, great thread chefmomster!

Becklenay

Réponse
19/06/04 18:35 en réponse à chefmomster2.
Griddlers relax me, and sharpen my mind. I can often be found with the site open at work... finishing "just one more" puzzle at lunch. When I am overwhelmed with people, questions, projects and responsibilities... griddlers are a chance to focus on thinking my way through to a beautiful outcome.

I work in the Community Development office of the small city of Bath, Maine in the US. Community Development means... we write lots of grants! for housing programs, environmental clean-up, businesses, and more. My favorite recent successful grant is for ArtWorks, a summer arts outreach program (think art teachers with a van full of supplies).

In my spare time, I make mosaics from scrap glass and tile - a project not unlike solving a griddler!

Brenda (kennebec) ... by the way, my name comes from the river I live next to - the Kennebec. BEC are my initials, so it made sense to become kennebec...

Réponse
19/06/04 19:35 en réponse à chefmomster2.
I can truly identify with Chandcar. Several years ago I became the stay-at-home parent, and started a subscription to Games magazine and found the PBN puzzles. I too bought the book, and did every single one!

Then, after doing an online search for Paint By Numbers, I ran across the PBN site, and was reading an old forum post which brought me to Griddlers. I've been here ever since!

I find that Griddlers satisfy a life-long passion I've had for jigsaw puzzles, without needing to take up space on a table, or look for lost pieces. I think the largest jigsaw I ever did was 10,000 pieces. (Never again!)

While at home, I've taken on some extensive volunteer projects at my son's school, the biggest of which is a world geography study program. 400 students at this school are learning the locations of countries around the world. I am very proud of the what I have helped these kids accomplish, and I enjoy finding people from some of these places on this site. How many Americans do you find who know that Yugoslavia is now Serbia and Montenegro? What has been particularly interesting is how much the kids have taught their parents!

Now, I will be returning to work as a Software Engineer (my husband is taking over the at-home parenting responsibilities) I will certainly not have as much time to spend on the Griddlers site, but I will still be here!

Keep up the fine work, Griddlers!
Kay in Beaverton, OR (USA)

Affichage des résultats 1 - 20 parmi 69.
de 4
Modérateurs du Forum : griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.