Vista Combinata Vista Piatta Vista ad Albero
Argomenti [ Precendente | Prossimo ]
toggle
Leader Board
Risposta
11/02/08 9.25
For people who are fairly new users it will be impossible to climb to the top of the leader boards for points and number of puzzles solved.
I.E., one couldn't catch users who have been members for years.
How about creating tables that show performances say, for example, over the most recent period of 12 months.
Let's get an accurate reflection of who the current top performers are.
Also, is there an on-line competion that one can take part in? I.E. a one-off puzzle where there is a race to achieve the fastest solving time?

Re: Leader Board
Risposta
11/02/08 10.27 come risposta a Herrkutz.
[quote="Herrkutz"]How about creating tables that show performances say, for example, over the most recent period of 12 months.?
We used to have lists like this in the topsolvers page a long time ago. It was one of the first things that had to be removed because of the performance of the site.
[quote="Herrkutz"]Also, is there an on-line competion that one can take part in? I.E. a one-off puzzle where there is a race to achieve the fastest solving time?
We have this, it's called the G-Match. Every Saturday at an announced hour some puzzles are published of which the first 100 solvers are registered in a separate top list. Check the FAQ to learn more about the G-match.

Watch the Site News to find out at which hour the next match will be and please join us in our next chat!

Jelga

Risposta
03/04/08 13.41 come risposta a Herrkutz.
It is not hard to tell that all "top solvers" cheat.
To achieve those scores you would have to solve about 10 very difficult puzzles every day for about 10 years!
No human can do that. (I hope :-)
I respect the programming capabilities of these people. They know how to grab a puzzle, feed it to a solving program somebody else wrote, and "solve" it.

I find pleasure in solving each puzzle myself by logical deduction. I don't care about scores. I almost never solve a puzzle in the "average" time. That's impossible when competing against computers. Who cares.

To all solvers: Solving griddlers is brain training. Making software to solve griddlers is brain training too. Using this software to "achieve" a high-score is just plain cheating.

Risposta
03/04/08 14.20 come risposta a Herrkutz.
[quote="Reiner_Baumwoll"]It is not hard to tell that all "top solvers" cheat.
To achieve those scores you would have to solve about 10 very difficult puzzles every day for about 10 years!
No human can do that. (I hope :-)
I respect the programming capabilities of these people. They know how to grab a puzzle, feed it to a solving program somebody else wrote, and "solve" it.

I find pleasure in solving each puzzle myself by logical deduction. I don't care about scores. I almost never solve a puzzle in the "average" time. That's impossible when competing against computers. Who cares.

To all solvers: Solving griddlers is brain training. Making software to solve griddlers is brain training too. Using this software to "achieve" a high-score is just plain cheating.

It is not hard to tell that you don't know what you are talking about. I consistently solve puzzles at approximately half the average time using only my brain. Just because there are people who do things faster than you does not mean they are cheating.

Risposta
03/04/08 14.47 come risposta a Herrkutz.
I made some quick selections and calculations. There are about 200 puzzles with over 10M points. Solving them all would take about 600 hours and would get you 4,2 billion points. Not quite enough to get you in the top 60, but you'd get close. I've seen people entering the site and reaching the top 60 within a year. That's still possible, if you are prepared to spend a few hours in the site on a daily basis and concentrate on the though puzzles.

It is possible to cheat with filling in the puzzles after solving them by a program. But have a look at the number of puzzles the topsolvers in the list have solved. Most of them have solved thousands of puzzles. I don't know if you tried filling in a puzzle that you solved on paper. It's a very boring job for sure. To me it's far more acceptable to think of people that spent hours every day in the site solving puzzles than to think of someone copying over 2000 puzzles first into another program and after that back into the site.

So please, have some respect for the topsolvers and don't accuse them of cheating.

Jelga
(#80 by points with solving by SLS alone)

Risposta
03/04/08 15.56 come risposta a Herrkutz.
I zolve puzzle for pleazure and not to beat anyone.
My average iz about 4 timez the mid time I have found, even on my zelf created puzzlez!

I admire the timez put up by zome people but I don't ztrive to beat them az I like to take it eazy too much emoticon

pz..the ezz key on my keyboard iz broken hence the zed'z emoticon

Risposta
03/04/08 17.15 come risposta a Herrkutz.
Hi
I am checking the solving records, if there is something not normal e.g. it is visible that the puzzles is solved by computer I'll delete it.

After every g-match people complain that "raist" is computer, not human. Well I went to Tel Aviv to verify it, you can see our photo in Personal events and stories thread. :-)

Risposta
04/04/08 1.20 come risposta a Herrkutz.
It is possible to do the puzzles under the average time. I usually only need about half the stated time.

myamollytaz

Risposta
04/04/08 8.10 come risposta a Herrkutz.
I have just found that if you hold ALT and left click and hold the mouse you can fill in huge areas in a second.

Just thought someone might like to know.

PS I'm back on my own keyboard now

Risposta
05/04/08 22.53 come risposta a Herrkutz.
Math: There must be more than two people who can solve in half the average time or less, because there are lots of people who inadvertently leave the clock running all night long. Without these quick solvers there were be no offset.

Physiology: If you want to solve fast it really helps to be young (under 25 if you can't manage under 17), athletic, and good at spatial skills like driving and playing ball. If you have these qualities your brain works faster on griddler kinds of things.

Spirituality: Some people like to run, feel the rush of air on their faces and see the world go by in a flash. Some people like to dawdle, smell the roses, see where the snails' trails end, and enjoy all the details before they move on to the next bit of landscape. The runners like races and are on the top of the G-Match list. The dawdlers fill in the background of each piece of the 50 part multi just because it's fun and looks prettier that way, even though it adds a lot to the solving time.

Griddles: Big ones, little ones, color ones, black & white ones, three color heartbreakers, zero point potato chips, multis, triddlers, movie stars, fine art, jokes, riddles, cartoons, kiddlers, nature's bounty, historical figures, landmarks.... Whether you run or dawdle or something in between, there's always a puzzle here for you to do...UNLESS you run so far and so fast that you've done them all. Time to become a top author!

Risposta
08/04/08 20.58 come risposta a Herrkutz.
[quote="glllop"]The dawdlers fill in the background of each piece of the 50 part multi just because it's fun and looks prettier that way, even though it adds a lot to the solving time.

This is completely wrong. I fill in background, and solve usually in about half the median time. Filling in the blanks actually makes it easier to see where squares can't go.

Moderatori del forum griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.