« Back to Discussions

New Applet - is this supposed to be an improvement? Looks like it is!

構造的に表示 平面上に表示 ツリー上に表示
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
I really don't like the new format - the numbers are difficult read (hard to tell the difference between a 5 and 6), the "picture" isn't aesthetically pleasing and it makes it difficult to get help for surrounding griddlers,  the list of griddlers looks like a badly formatted excel spreadsheet and having to flip between the list and the picture makes isn't user friendly!  All in all regression rather than progress in my eyes!!

RE: New Applet - is this supposed to be an improvement?
答え
12/12/13 23:46 aavへのコメント
Agreed. The worst part is the picture. It looks distorted and terrible.

答え
12/12/14 0:31 edeainfjへのコメント
edeainfj:
Agreed. The worst part is the picture. It looks distorted and terrible.
Please make a screenshot and place it in here. We need to see what you see (distorted image?) in order to fix it. 

答え
12/12/16 7:44 hagitmへのコメント
When I first started this puzzle, the picture was large, detailed, and very pretty. After the new applet kicked in, all I see is this, on three different computers. It's all scrunched in, distorted, and ugly.
画像の固定

添付ファイル: puzzle02.png (5.1k)

答え
12/12/14 1:39 edeainfjへのコメント
Right-click on any part and select Zoom in/out the whole multi. The  popup window will reveal a nice picture and also the ability to make it bigger or smaller.

答え
12/12/14 15:20 hagitmへのコメント
But what's the point of that? Why not just show the picture in its actual size on the puzzle page?

答え
12/12/14 19:35 edeainfjへのコメント
One of the reasons is that with the new way of viewing it is possible to zoom in and out on the image. This was a request for the individual parts, because with requests in 'get help in solving', it's much easier to compare the puzzle with the image in the forum if both are the same size. But with large multis it can be nice to zoom as well.

答え
12/12/15 9:21 edeainfjへのコメント
edeainfj:
Why not just show the picture in its actual size on the puzzle page?
Without getting into too technical issues: The applet has a fixed size - width, height. In large multis, if we set the "so-called" actual size (do you know that there is no such thing as actual size?) the large multis would have taken a lot of space from the screen, caused the solver to scroll to the left/right and down/up, and not getting the whole preview. Moreover, in large multis the solvers look for the details and want to have the multi bigger, even bigger than the "actual size".

We do consider removing the lines that separate the parts. But it'll be done after fixing real bugs. 

答え
12/12/16 0:13 hagitmへのコメント
That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I love this site and am gradually getting used to the changes.

答え
12/12/16 7:45 edeainfjへのコメント
In order to enable others to enjoy solving that multi, I removed your picture and replaced it with only portion of it because your screenshot reveals almost everything.

Glad to hear that you get used to the new applet. :-)

答え
12/12/22 5:52 aavへのコメント
Though I'm trying hard and getting used to using the fingers of my left hand much more I still prefer the old applet. I don't need the cross to solve my puzzles, the zero is enough to use as a marker. It was more relaxing to play without the cross as a second marker. It feels like I've lost a good friend: the old applet. Is it really not possible to give us the choice to keep using the old applet to satisfy all users of the site?
Can't you make a poll to see wat the puzzlers prefer?
And one other thing: my puzzle (new applet) keeps loading but does not open. This happens often. It's really annoying when I'm stuck and want to get a clue with trial & error. Therefore I have to close without saving, get back and cannot come in again. 

Using the old applet is a matter of time. Not because we had a strange whim to create a new one. It became a necessity. I am quite sure that some (a lot?) of our users still remember the struggle they had during the last few months after updating their Java version. We asked them to remove it and go back to the previous version. We can't dwell in the "dark ages" anymore. The progress forces us to move forward.

Nonetheless, the old applet is still available. You can use it as much as you wish. Unfortunately, it is just a matter of time, though we don't know how long that time is. Some solvers can't use the old applet anymore. Some won't be able to use it once they replace their computer or update their system. You need to understand that basic knowledge.

We asked everyone to tell us what bothered them in the new applet. People wrote, we fixed, we even added new features as they requested. If you look at the last news message related to the new/old applet you can see that we still willing to create new features according to your requests.

RE: New Applet - is this supposed to be an improvement? More issues
答え
13/04/01 14:47 aavへのコメント
Where are the guidelines (those lines that mark the column/row you are on) and the side and top column/row numbers? Those were all invaluable in doing large puzzles, this new format makes it very difficult.

RE: New Applet - is this supposed to be an improvement? More issues
答え
13/04/01 22:11 bobosean29へのコメント
Do you mean the lines that show in the clues of the line you are in or the rulers that show at the top and the side?
Both should be there. You can change the colors of the lines in your settings and you can check/uncheck the rulers at the top of the screen. I hope this helps!

Have fun solving,

Jelga

RE: New Applet - is this supposed to be an improvement? Looks like it is!
答え
13/08/19 14:51 hagitmへのコメント
If I could piggyback on this thread, there is one feature I would like to see added to the applet: could you have a Solve button on both the Detail and View tabs for Multigriddlers? I like being able to look at the picture, click on the next part of the puzzle I want to solve, and go straight to solving. Is there a reason the Solve button was placed only on the Detail screen?

答え
13/08/20 1:10 Maedhrosへのコメント
Maedhros:
If I could piggyback on this thread, there is one feature I would like to see added to the applet: could you have a Solve button on both the Detail and View tabs for Multigriddlers? I like being able to look at the picture, click on the next part of the puzzle I want to solve, and go straight to solving. Is there a reason the Solve button was placed only on the Detail screen?

Just double click on the part of the picture you want to solve emoticon

答え
13/08/20 18:48 Dominiekへのコメント
It works! Thanks!

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.