RE: The new forum! Ra100 20.2.2009 7:03
RE: The new forum! Corinna 29.5.2009 9:25
RE: The new forum! Corinna 29.5.2009 12:04
RE: The new forum! hagitm 29.5.2009 12:07
The new forum!
Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:13
Hi,

Although the forum is not complete yet, you are welcome to use this topic to test all features and write your comments about the new forum.

Enjoy!

Jelga

RE: The new forum!
Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:17 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
i like your new avatar. looks like my new lamp in the livingroom from ikea....

btw,
good new design of the forum and i like the

rss-feed option

Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:20 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Ok, I try to post in the new forum and if you see this I have succeeded! emoticon

Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:20 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
As I said in the chat: it looks great.

Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:21 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Looks nice emoticon But I want my avatar back! emoticon
We didn't have all those font-options before, did we?

Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:22 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
:error: What happen when I put a long text with no spaces:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwurerws3wwestrdetrewsesresrtedstdxstretrwsrewsredxre
And a forum is very nice emoticon

Odpoveď
26.4.2008 20:24 ako reakcia na Oskar.
Oskar:
:error: What happen when I put a long text with no spaces:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
urerws3wwestrdetrewsesresrtedstdxstretrwsrewsredxre
And a forum is very nice emoticon

What happens is that we will edit it for you emoticon

Forum migrated
Odpoveď
27.4.2008 12:19 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
We completed the migration of old forum. Well, we lost some posts because they had wrong attachments, some format errors or so but more than 90 percent is OK. Now we need to cleanup some double post and you can start to use it . emoticon

Odpoveď
27.4.2008 13:44 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Looks good. Now I just have to figure out where I put my old avatar to get that back in here. In the meantime, I'll use my big fish picture LOL
Have a great day.
Michaela

Odpoveď
27.4.2008 23:30 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
I think the new forum looks rather snappy. I may need to explore for a while before I get used to it though. Offhand, I have yet to see where one can disable emoticons. Otherwise, this happens: (27.04.08)

Odpoveď
28.4.2008 11:41 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
*looks around*

Nice new forum. And I love the RSS feature. Now I can see with my Google reader what's new without signing in at the office. :oops:

btw. Many thanks for all the work the griddlers team is doing for us. emoticon

Edit: works too ...

Odpoveď
28.4.2008 18:07 ako reakcia na Jaenelle.
Looks good. I no longer have the problems I had during the introduction.

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 5:20 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
I like the look of the new forum and also think it is much easier to navigate than the old one was. There are a couple of things I would like to find out about though.

1. In the recent posts tab, is it possible to have the menu show the category the thread is from? As an example, I cannot use the Igridd applet (my boss won't let me download it) so I have no real interest in reading the posts in that section of the forum. With the current setup of the menu I don't know what category the post is in until I click on it.

2. On the old forum I had the option to view the threads with the most recent posts at the top, I can't find a way to do this on the new forum. I prefer to have the new posts at the top so that I don't have to scroll down through all the posts I have previously read.

If those two things are possible I will be a very happy Griddler emoticon .

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 8:23 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
I came. After a few initial problems getting it to work on Firefox, I checked it out. I liked it. In fact, I spent so much time checking things out, I didn't even get a chance to do any puzzles. emoticon Good work Griddlers team.

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 9:06 ako reakcia na LadyRose59.
LadyRose59:
1. In the recent posts tab, is it possible to have the menu show the category the thread is from?
2. On the old forum I had the option to view the threads with the most recent posts at the top, I can't find a way to do this on the new forum. I prefer to have the new posts at the top so that I don't have to scroll down through all the posts I have previously read.

Exactly the 2 things I would like as well!! For the rest...great job team (we don't expect any less than a great job from you nowadays emoticon )

Maarten

RE: The new forum! - Recent Posts
Odpoveď
29.4.2008 11:51 ako reakcia na dreamtheater.

LadyRose59, dreamtheater, et al - more info about Recent Posts and in general:

Recent Posts:
If you click on the link under the column Last Post it'll take you directly to the last post submitted.

View Threads options:
There are three ways to view a thread - Combination View, Flat View, Tree View:

I use Combination View because it allows me to see the real way people answered to each other. Also, if I visited this thread before and a new post is submitted - only the new line will be in bold. Clicking this line directs me down to that post. If it is a long topic I use the little TOP arrow to browse up/down the thread.

Hagit

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 12:19 ako reakcia na hagitm.
My time to say WOW for something we did. :angel9:

I've just posted a reply to LadyRose59 and dreamtheater (above). My reply has images, colored lines and text in bold. I got the reply through the email and it looks exactly the same as in the forum. It also gave me the following details:
---------------------------------------------------------------
New message has been posted in Your Thoughts
Submitted by: hagitm
Subject: RE: The new forum! - Recent Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------
I know it is a reply and not a new thread because of the "RE". I know the category, and the author of the post.

For me, it is easier to organize my life through the email. It saves me time to visit web pages just to check up things. Question is - should I add all the forums to my watch list? For me the answer is YES. For everyone else - just select the forums that interest you.

I love this new thing we have in the forum! emoticon

Hagit

questions
Odpoveď
29.4.2008 15:07 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
is there a way to mark all post as read like in the old forum?

edit:
will you get a new email, when a post was edited?

will the one-hour-edit-time beginn new after a edit, so you can edit your post 6 times over 6 hours??

edit2:
what happens if i change the topicname from RE: the new forum to questions ?
Príloha

Prílohy: name changed.jpg (38,4k)

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 17:43 ako reakcia na hagitm.
hagitm:
quote]Recent Posts:
If you click on the link under the column Last Post it'll take you directly to the last post submitted.

View Threads options:[/b]
There are three ways to view a thread - Combination View, Flat View, Tree View:

I use Combination View because it allows me to see the real way people answered to each other. Also, if I visited this thread before and a new post is submitted - only the new line will be in bold. Clicking this line directs me down to that post. If it is a long topic I use the little TOP arrow to browse up/down the thread.

Hagit

THANK YOU, Hagit that does make it easier to jump straight to the new posts.

RE: questions
Odpoveď
29.4.2008 17:43 ako reakcia na bullfrosch.
bullfrosch:
will you get a new email, when a post was edited?

Yes, you will. If someone asked to get help in solving a puzzle and edited their post because they managed to proceed with it, or even solve it completely within an hour - you will know.

The email's subject will clears it. e.g.:
New message has been posted in Your ThoughtsA message has been edited in iGridd Applet - Suggestion Box

bullfrosch:
will the one-hour-edit-time beginn new after a edit, so you can edit your post 6 times over 6 hours?

The post gets a time stamp once it is submitted. The one hour starts from that time stamp.

bullfrosch:
what happens if i change the topicname from RE: the new forum to questions ?

Your post will have a new subject, but it is still under the same thread.

Hagit

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 18:05 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
More questions: I there a way to make a default font for my posts? The old forum had signatures, does this one also have them?

Odpoveď
29.4.2008 23:30 ako reakcia na anna_black.
anna_black:
More questions: I there a way to make a default font for my posts? The old forum had signatures, does this one also have them?

I'm sorry, Anna. RIght now the answer for both is "no". Use your avatar to express your "signature" and don't forget to tell us the meaning of it through the forum All About You --> The story behind my avatar.

Hagit

Odpoveď
30.4.2008 6:54 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post to this topic is my thoughts on how this new forum seems to take its time loading topics that have a lot of posts in it. In short, I'm not too impressed with that. emoticon

It seems that the more posts a topic contains, the longer it takes to load, which gives me the impression that the forum's loading them all in even though it's only going to show you so many at a time. :idea: IMHO, when a user opens a topic, only those posts on the first page should be loaded. Then if the user decides to go to the next page, only then should the next pageful of posts be loaded at that time. And so on with the next page and the next and... :idea:

On a Web site, speed and appearance are everything, and if you can make this new forum appear to be snappier by not making it do work that it doesn't have to, everyone will have a much nicer experience for it. :thumbleft: :thumbright:

Odpoveď
1.5.2008 9:29 ako reakcia na luweewu.
Hi Luweewu,

I'm afraid you are right about this forum loading all posts from one topic at once. The point is, it does not paginate at all. This is not possible for now - I have no idea if it can be changed in the future. The only solution is to split topics that become too long, like we did for the topsolvers lists.

Jelga

Odpoveď
2.5.2008 9:19 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
My experience the last few days about the loading time were really bad. It took ages to open all topics, even those with only a few messages. Most topics didn't even open at all, I just got the disclaimer lines (bottom of the page). Today however, everything is working the way it should. I hope it stays that way.

David

Odpoveď
2.5.2008 9:49 ako reakcia na DAC99.
DAC99:
Today however, everything is working the way it should. I hope it stays that way.
David

Yes, yesterday I found corrupted data after migration which caused some problems. So I hope it stays that way too.

RE: questions
Odpoveď
4.5.2008 19:48 ako reakcia na bullfrosch.
bullfrosch:
is there a way to mark all post as read like in the old forum?

Now there is.
Go to the main forum page. The Actions button has a new option - Mark as Read. You can mark all post as read for each category.

Please be patient the first time you do it because the system needs to mark several thousands of posts as read.

Hagit

Odpoveď
6.5.2008 3:21 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Hm... :? It seems like the all the things that were going wrong yesterday are okay today. :clock:
Time heals and all that. It's wonderful that this new forum is more easily accessed by people who were left out, and it's translated etc., but it's not nearly as cozy. :? And I keep getting lost. At least the tools seem to be working now...

Odpoveď
6.5.2008 13:16 ako reakcia na glllop.
I agree with glllop...After using the forum for a few days, I still don't feel comfortable with it. I get lost, too. :shock: Will we ever be able to access the forum without going to a new page? I know new things need getting used to and I appreciate all the work everyone has done. This still is and will always be the best griddler site. Thanks. emoticon

Odpoveď
6.5.2008 18:05 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
The blue corners on the inactive fill-in boxes on the composing screen are very interesting. I've never seen anything that subtle before emoticon

For future consideration: Once you've got the new forum all ironed out and shiny do you think you could add navigation links to the bottoms of the pages? I loved that in the old forum, and the "top^" links only go to the top message (understandably), not to the top of page.

Thanks!

JC

P.S., you might also consider changing "Save" on the composition screen to "post message" or "submit" or something. "Save" keeps making me think it means save draft, and it took me at least a minute on my first post to even decide it was the right button--and I've been online since before the PC or Apple.

Odpoveď
6.5.2008 20:14 ako reakcia na glllop.
glllop:
Once you've got the new forum all ironed out and shiny do you think you could add navigation links to the bottoms of the pages? I loved that in the old forum, and the "top^" links only go to the top message (understandably), not to the top of page.

Do you mean something like you can see at bottom of this page ?
:-)

Odpoveď
7.5.2008 7:55 ako reakcia na glllop.
glllop:
P.S., you might also consider changing "Save" on the composition screen to "post message" or "submit" or something. "Save" keeps making me think it means save draft, and it took me at least a minute on my first post to even decide it was the right button--and I've been online since before the PC or Apple.

You're absolutely right! It is Post Message now.
Hagit

Odpoveď
8.5.2008 20:48 ako reakcia na griddlers_team.
Do you mean something like you can see at bottom of this page ?
:-)

Well, yeah, but more the category tree, or whatever you call it, and the tabs. The thread control is blind, rather than indexed, and only marginally useful. But then, I hate the next buttons on e-mail too and open messages from the index, so I might be in the minority. I used to use the tree on the old forum all the time emoticon On this one, I seem to be using the tabs more. I was using the thread control at first and that's when I got really lost and unhappy emoticon Now I'm not so lost or unhappy, but I spend a lot of time scrolling.

Odpoveď
10.5.2008 15:14 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Thank you for adding the categories to the recent post list.

Not having that was the one thing I didn't like about this new forum..now it is

PERFECT :love4: :notworthy:

Odpoveď
10.5.2008 18:17 ako reakcia na LadyRose59.
:notworthy: Ditto! I was thinking I would just like to know what category the posts were in, but having the whole, clickable, category link in the Recent Posts is fantastic!! Many thanks!! :notworthy:

Odpoveď
10.5.2008 21:31 ako reakcia na glllop.
glllop:
Well, yeah, but more the category tree, or whatever you call it.

Look at the bottom of every forum page. There is a Go To option with a droplist of the Categories and the Subcategories. Is that what you had in mind?
Hagit

Odpoveď
12.5.2008 1:07 ako reakcia na hagitm.
hagitm:
glllop:
Well, yeah, but more the category tree, or whatever you call it.

Look at the bottom of every forum page. There is a Go To option with a droplist of the Categories and the Subcategories. Is that what you had in mind?
Hagit

Well, it's actually not at all what I had in mind, but it's very nice! I also like that now when clicking through from Recent Posts in combined view it shows the place in the thread tree rather than going straight to the start of the thread. That's really useful!! And also that the "top" link goes to the top of the thread tree instead of the first message. That's much more useful. And it's a short scroll from there to the category tree thingie and the tabs at the top, which makes navigating a long topic much easier emoticon With all these updates I think it's at least as easy to navigate as the old forum now, probably a lot more.

Many thanks!!

Odpoveď
16.1.2009 13:51 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
I liked old forum much more - just got used to it ;)
T

Odpoveď
19.2.2009 23:49 ako reakcia na twoznia.
Is there any way of putting the time on the forum page?
When reading the recent posts, I sometimes would like to know how long ago they were written, but have to go back to the home page to find out the time.

I use GMT time on the site to help me with G Match times.

Corinna

Odpoveď
20.2.2009 7:03 ako reakcia na Corinna.
Hi Corinna
it is not necessary recalculate the time. If you setup your timezone in "My Account" then the time of forum post will be recalculated by the portal.

Ra100

Odpoveď
29.5.2009 9:25 ako reakcia na Corinna.
Thanks to whoever put the time on the forum page. I really appreciate it.

I don't know if it's just me, but the forum time seems to be about 8 minutes ahead of the home page time.

Corinna

Odpoveď
29.5.2009 12:04 ako reakcia na Corinna.
The time is fixed now.

Corinna

Odpoveď
29.5.2009 12:07 ako reakcia na Corinna.
Thank you for noticing. Now the clock is accurate in both sections (forum and web). It is also synchronized 4 times a day.
Hagit

Moderátori fóra: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.