« Späť na Your Thoughts

Annoyed about the new "no unsolved puzzles" rule.

Kombinovaný pohľad Plochý pohľad Stromový pohľad
Vlákna [ Predchádzajúci | Ďalší ]
toggle
So I logged on today looking forward to spending some time solving Griddlers. I was dismayed to read the new news entry saying that non-subscribers will no longer be able to filter puzzles by whether they are solved or unsolved. This means I now have to sort through page after page of puzzles I've already solved in order to find ones I haven't. Is there any chance this decision will be reverted in the future?

RE: Annoyed about the new "no unsolved puzzles" rule.
Odpoveď
6.5.2008 22:17 ako reakcia na Monkeyman1138.
Same here!

Of course, I realise that we're very lucky to have such a great puzzle resource from griddlers.net (and I really appreciate it - thanks very much to the site owners!), but the removal of this filter just makes the site hugely less usable. The only way to easily find unsolved puzzles is now through keeping a single puzzle ordering option in any given category - otherwise it's just too hard to find unsolved puzzles.

Please bring back this filter, if there's any way of doing it!

Odpoveď
7.5.2008 16:05 ako reakcia na Illusionary.
It probably has a lot to do with how much load such a filter puts on the system. The servers are probably pretty badly overloaded, based on how slow the site has been in the last few weeks, so anything that can be done to lessen the load is necessary to keep the site from taking years to load. I would say that if it was bad enough for them to remove this feature, theres probably a pretty good chance it wont be coming back any time soon.

You could always subscribe to the site and get all those features back. 5$ is really not a bank breaker. And you'd be doing your part to make the site stick around

Odpoveď
7.5.2008 17:10 ako reakcia na Aelia.
I understand that the features on the site take toll on the systems. I also understand the importance of upkeep and maintenance on sites. That being said, I have to say that I'm disappointed in the new "feature" that is available to subscribers only.

I've been on this site, using it, since 10/22/03 - almost 5 years now. I've solved more than 13K Griddlers, and have been as high as 235th place for number of Griddlers solved.

With the new change, I'm not sure that I will be coming back to the site very often, if at all.

I can understand a lot of the other changes made for Members only - case in point, the saved puzzle limit.

However, the ability to filter out solved puzzles is a necessity for someone like me to be able to continue to enjoy the site. It could take me a long time to find a puzzle that I haven't solved yet, having to look individually at each page. Especially if it's something in a category that I've solved a bunch of puzzles in already (Minimalism puzzles, for example). Is it worth the time to spend 3 minutes searching for a puzzle that takes me 5 seconds to solve, only to start the process all over again?

No - it isn't.

Sure - $5/month isn't that much, or $40/year, but it's more than I want to spend on something I do occasionally for fun. I'd rather that this money go to something that is a bit more enjoyable, like gas for my car so that I can go to work and earn a paycheck, or food for my table so that I can continue to live.

Yes - that's extreme, but it still seems like paying just so that I can enjoy a basic feature like filtering out solved puzzles is ridiculous.

I would like to take a moment to thank the creators and moderators for allowing me to enjoy this site over the past 5 years. I've always enjoyed coming here when I have a few minutes so that I can solve a few puzzles. It helped relax me. With the new direction, though, I am afraid that I will not be returning in the near future.

Good luck to everyone who stays with the site. And congratulations to the mods who get the extra $5/month from people who want to use this simple/basic function of filtering puzzles.

Andrew/croyd

Odpoveď
7.5.2008 20:14 ako reakcia na Croyd.
Croyd:
it still seems like paying just so that I can enjoy a basic feature like filtering out solved puzzles is ridiculous.

I would like to take a moment to thank the creators and moderators for allowing me to enjoy this site over the past 5 years. I've always enjoyed coming here when I have a few minutes so that I can solve a few puzzles. It helped relax me. With the new direction, though, I am afraid that I will not be returning in the near future.

Good luck to everyone who stays with the site. And congratulations to the mods who get the extra $5/month from people who want to use this simple/basic function of filtering puzzles.

Andrew/croyd

You don't understand it at all. You are not being asked to donate some money to the site to keep your filter. You are asked to donate money to the site to keep it alive. During those 5 years you have been relaxing by solving Griddlers, others have been using their private time and money - out of their personal pockets - to create this site. Not to make money with it - but because they loved building it and improving it.

You might not even have noticed - but in the past two years a lot of nice things have been removed from the site to keep it stable. We used to have a list with the most recent users logging into the site - with small balloons if they had some comment in their profile. I loved to have it and hated to see it go, but of course no-one else actually complained when it was removed. A large change was the removal of the possibility to make your selections on ALL puzzles in the site. There were a lot of complaints then - but it was necessary. Once the site gave you the fastest and longest solving time of each puzzle - it has been removed.

The Team was not happy about ANY of those changes. Don't you think they'd rather spend their time thinking about how to make the site nicer and more fun instead of removing their original ideas because of the performance of the server? This last change is a very annoying one - nobody denies it. But the increase of speed is amazing, so I don't think it's very probably they'll turn this back. And if they do - do you really think they'll do it because they are sorry to see you go? After this post you wrote in the forum? If you wanted to change their minds and convince them it should be turned back, I don't think this was the wisest way to do it...

Jelga

Odpoveď
8.5.2008 0:22 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Well, I'm certainly not going to have such an extreme reaction to this happening, but I am cautious about subscribing, namely because I feel a bit iffy about committing to something which is (although I enjoy it a lot) a small distraction to pass the time every now and then for me.

Odpoveď
8.5.2008 21:08 ako reakcia na Monkeyman1138.
If you don't want to become an addict, don't subscribe emoticon

If you enjoy it a lot, you might want to consider doing it the way we did in the pre-applet days. Give a donation instead of a subscription. They'll probably credit it as a subscription anyway, but you don't have to use iGridd. Just give a little something towards upkeep relative to how much fun you have here. That's what I did, but eventually decided I liked the applet too....

JC (a griddle-addict, but not associated with the Team)

Odpoveď
9.8.2010 16:07 ako reakcia na glllop.
Only today was above change implemented on the Dutch part of the site. Until now I could leave out the solved puzzles and see how many puzzles I had left to solve in a group.

I really don't like the change. Even just now I wanted to solve some themed griddlers but found 3 pages of solved groups first, before finding a page of solved griddlers.

I come here occasionally to solve some griddlers, in the hope to finishing some groups when I'm old and grey. I am not paying 5 dollar per month or 40 dollar per year when I'm not sure if I will play again this month or year. With this change, it's very difficult to find a nice puzzle I have yet to solve in the groups I'm active in.

Jeltje, the site wants to improve, I understand that, but does it want to improve while chasing alot of people away? If enough people voice their 'grief' then The Team might be willing to reconsider.

Odpoveď
9.8.2010 19:00 ako reakcia na Cregan.
This last year I paid to use the site .. mainly because I have a lot of problems with trying to stay asleep .. and Griddlers is always open to keep me company through the night ..

But I now can't filter the 'Themes' section .. and that's the section I use almost exclusively for finding my next batch of Griddlers to solve .. the Themes section is virtually unusable as it is now .. and I certainly won't be paying again if it stays like this .. admittedly, that's stern works and perhaps hastily spoken .. but that's just how strongly I feel about this particular change ...

It's definitely a change for the worse .. I certainly can't see new players coming and staying beyond a few games if they can't find the next unsolved Griddler or the new Griddlers (which for me have also disappeared, and my yes caches are emptied daily). If I was a new player I doubt I'd become a regular and it's a HUGE turn off for making any payment to use the site ...

Griddlers seems to have shot itself in the foot (as the saying goes) with this very unwelcome change ... !!

And by the way I have NEVER got on with the applet thing .. for me it just seems an unnecessary over complicated nuisance and I find it much harder completing Griddlers with the applet .. so I never use it .. preferring the much easier simplicity of the original way of completing the Griddlers !!

Odpoveď
9.8.2010 22:08 ako reakcia na Cregan.
The change that was discussed in this forum was implemented over two years ago. It was there too in 'Dutch part' of the site, because the language does not make any difference for this feature. The part it had not been implemented to was the Themes. Most themes did not contain that many puzzles, so it did not slow the site down much.

However, the performance of the site became worse again. It might be because the number of puzzles in the site is still growing. (Did you notice we passed the total of 100.000 puzzles a few weeks ago?) So now the filter of solved/unsolved has been removed from the Themes too. Like I wrote two years ago - no-one is happy about this. It might chase some people away that are annoyed by having to go through long lists to find unsolved puzzles, but so be it. What we do need is more people to subscribe to the site. The filters are there for those! It is only € 28 per year, that's a cup of coffee on a terrace somewhere outdoors once per month.

Patootie, if you are a subscriber, the filters should be there for you, in the Themes and in the common lists. I understand that there were some problems earlier today, probably due to the changes. If they are not back, pleas let the Team know!

Jelga
PS I won't be able to reply to this discussion for a couple of days - I'm off to France and will only be solving puzzles on paper...

Odpoveď
10.8.2010 3:03 ako reakcia na Jeltje.
Nope ... still not got the 'unsolved' filter back in themes .. it's almost impossible to find the Griddlers I was working on without trawling tediously through dozens of sections .. for me this is really spoiling the site ..

Surely the one most important filter is to be able to filter out all the Griddlers you've already completed .. otherwise any other filter is just a nonsense if it's not filtering out the completed games ..

Being able to filter out solved games is probably the only plus side to paying .. so this seems to be a HUGE retro step and will probably end up with the site getting less payments than it already has ..

Odpoveď
10.8.2010 3:11 ako reakcia na patootie.
Ohhh .. and I still can't bring up any 'new' griddlers ... all I'm getting is a blank list ... if I 'clear' the selection I get ALL griddlers and then when I apply the filter 'only unsolved' the list disappears again ...

I can't play using the applet as it sends my brain spinning .. it's much too over complicated to use quickly .. and 'for me' the thiker, blacker '???' make the squares in the grid 'dance' about and then it all appears muddled ... even doing small griddlers makes my eyes hurt ..

Sigh ... so I sign out yet again having not completed any more Griddlers .. please ... please return the site to how it was ..

Odpoveď
10.8.2010 7:29 ako reakcia na patootie.
patootie:
Ohhh .. and I still can't bring up any 'new' griddlers ... all I'm getting is a blank list ... if I 'clear' the selection I get ALL griddlers and then when I apply the filter 'only unsolved' the list disappears again ...

Because there was a bug. Now that it was clearer we could fix it.
New Puzzles, filter "only not solved" should work well.

As for the Themes. We will bring back the "not solved" numbers. However, it will be available to subscribers only. Just be patient. It is not a "fix bug" issue. More of a complicated programming and performance task.

Hagit

Odpoveď
10.8.2010 10:00 ako reakcia na patootie.
I keep track of the puzzles in Access (Excel can also be use but my old copy has a limit of 64 000 rows). That way I can easily find out the unsolved ones and on which page that are.
It is easy to find unsolved puzzles using the applet and then locating them in griddlers.
It is a question of learning how to work with the system and making up for its short falls.
Edgar

Odpoveď
10.8.2010 14:41 ako reakcia na hagitm.
hagitm:
As for the Themes. We will bring back the "not solved" numbers. However, it will be available to subscribers only. Just be patient. It is not a "fix bug" issue. More of a complicated programming and performance task.

Hagit

Thank you very much Hagit .. emoticon

I realise this means a lot of extra programming for the team, especially when you have those pesky bugs to fix as well .. but I for one do very much appreciate getting back the 'solved/unsolved' filters .. thank you .. emoticon

And at last I can see the 'new' Griddlers too ... so hopefully that bug is now fixed and sorted .. :thumbup:

Odpoveď
11.8.2010 14:03 ako reakcia na patootie.
"It is only € 28 per year, that's a cup of coffee on a terrace somewhere outdoors once per month."

Do you buy a cup of coffee once a month only to let it stand untouched? No, I didn't think so.

So why should I pay for one of the most important features whilst not knowing how much time I'll spend on the site? If there would be a weekly subscription available I might consider it, since I do know how much time I'll be spending on this site in one week.

Seems to me that most problems can be solved by limiting the amount of new puzles added daily or weekly. It's nice that the site is expanding this much, don't get me wrong, but I'm assuming the non-paying visitors make up most the largest part of the total visitors. That's like sacrificing many to save the few :/

Moderátori fóra: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.