« Nazaj na Discussions

Do we need comments?

Pogled na kombinacije Flat View Drevesni pogled.
Teme [ Prejšnja | Naslednja ]
toggle
Do we need comments? hagitm 16.4.04 7:49
Re: Do we need comments? HSpring 17.4.04 5:55
Re: Do we need comments? onenafreak69 17.4.04 6:15
Re: Do we need comments? liri748 17.4.04 7:14
Re: Do we need comments? maglizrd 17.4.04 8:16
Re: Do we need comments? kennebec 17.4.04 10:53
Re: Do we need comments? kennebec 17.4.04 10:58
Re: Do we need comments? steveo 17.4.04 12:45
Re: Do we need comments? twinmom 17.4.04 13:58
Re: Do we need comments? DNA 17.4.04 14:56
Re: Do we need comments? tattoedkitten 17.4.04 15:12
Re: Do we need comments? puzzler 17.4.04 16:11
Re: Do we need comments? Rashea 17.4.04 16:12
Re: Do we need comments? wiggles 17.4.04 16:27
Re: Do we need comments? pizmac 17.4.04 16:45
Re: Do we need comments? patt 17.4.04 16:54
Re: Do we need comments? carootje 17.4.04 18:25
Re: Do we need comments? maristone 17.4.04 21:12
Re: Do we need comments? nonogramfan 17.4.04 23:57
Re: Do we need comments? ccisaacs 18.4.04 2:31
Re: Do we need comments? barbara 18.4.04 13:34
Re: Do we need comments? talanimal 18.4.04 14:58
Re: Do we need comments? JynxsMom 18.4.04 18:00
Re: Do we need comments? bugfuz 18.4.04 19:02
Re: Do we need comments? just_tami 18.4.04 21:26
Re: Do we need comments? Bee 18.4.04 22:17
Re: Do we need comments? RESmith 19.4.04 1:51
Re: Do we need comments? chantal74 19.4.04 6:49
Re: Do we need comments? Sacker 19.4.04 14:39
Re: Do we need comments? maglizrd 19.4.04 20:33
Re: Do we need comments? domi77 20.4.04 19:42
Re: Do we need comments? luweewu 21.4.04 7:49
RE: Do we need comments? steveo 20.11.12 23:31
RE: Do we need comments? lioness999999 22.11.12 7:26
RE: Do we need comments? Jeltje 22.11.12 11:09
RE: Do we need comments? Jeltje 22.11.12 11:12
RE: Do we need comments? windapfel 6.11.13 23:46
RE: Do we need comments? ANA_LILI 25.11.13 12:50
RE: Do we need comments? RoCoJo 27.11.13 12:21
RE: Do we need comments? edgarfrancois 27.11.13 17:02
RE: Do we need comments? ANA_LILI 28.11.13 10:35
RE: Do we need comments? kiprsi 29.3.14 14:12
RE: Do we need comments? ardyer 14.5.14 1:43
Do we need comments?
Odgovor
16.4.04 7:49
A new idea that came up during the meeting was having the option to write a comment for a complete MultiGriddler. It would be available only for the people who solved all of the parts, of course.

Since we talked about comments - the old, known discussion about the necessity of the comments came up again. We will always have comments like "I was here" or "too easy" even though these comments are meaningless. We will always have mean comments, and bad language comments. We will always have people who hurt others and people who get hurt.

Do we need the comments? We would like to know what the rest of you think.

Re: Do we need comments?
Odgovor
17.4.04 5:55 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Having created a few puzzles, I know that I enjoy reading what other people thought of my puzzles. Also, I like reading comments on other puzzles. Sometimes it helps me to understand what i am seeng and sometimes it helps me to decide if I even want to solve the puzzle at that time and sometimes it just puts a smile on my face.
Yes, I think we should keep the comments.
--HSpring

Odgovor
17.4.04 6:15 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Hi,
I think comments are important to creaters. Of course the rude and meaningless one's suck but the real one's that show enthusiasm for a great puzzle or suggest ways to make something better are a must. To bad rude people exist. I do think that if a person scores your puzzle a zero it should be set up so they have to leave a comment on reason why they disliked or score won't count towards puzzle. I say this because i've had a few puzzles that everyone scored 75% 0r better and along comes a zero with no reason why they disliked it so much. It may sound dumb but even if comment was rude at least I could determine if the Zero was a reflection on my creativity or if that zero came from a mean solver. Not knowing why zeros have been given really eat at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odgovor
17.4.04 7:14 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I agree with onenafreak69...
I just wanted to add that if I get a realy good comment then I write a thank you massage in the massage box...
I think that the good comments, as well as the ones who makes me lough, makes me do more and more puzzles...
Anyway, this is my chance to say thanks to all of you, who like my puzzels...
I love you all!!!
Liri748

Odgovor
17.4.04 8:16 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Although I guess I wouldn't miss the mean or stupid comments, if the comments section was totally removed, I would miss it. It's interesting to see what other people thought of the puzzle, and it is just another small way to build community here. Many people never come to the message boards, but I would have to think most people at least glance at the comments.

Gives you a bit of an idea of what the other people who play here are like.

Odgovor
17.4.04 10:53 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>Do we need the comments? We would like to know what the rest of you think.
>
I really appreciate the opportunity to say something when I solve a particularly wonderful puzzle - either due to color or design. However, if the negative comments are cause for designers to not make more puzzles, the cost of having comments available may be greater than the benefit.

Odgovor
17.4.04 10:58 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>
>

Also, I often rely upon the comments to help me decide whether to solve a puzzle - when browsing a group of puzzles, I look for a puzzle where the comments are especially positive. This can be even more informative than the vote... because I like great pictures and great shading in puzzles.

Odgovor
17.4.04 12:45 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Please keep the comments. I always read them.

Odgovor
17.4.04 13:58 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Personally, I don't think public comments are necessary. The ones that have any meaning often give away unwanted information about the puzzle and can detract from the fun of solving. I try not to look at the comments before solving a puzzle. While not as convenient, maybe sending comments directly to the author would be an option. I understand that feedback is important to authors and can help them improve, at times. But I've seen very few constructive or helpful comments posted. I think that voting is much more effective.

Twinmom

Odgovor
17.4.04 14:56 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Keep the comments please, because I always read them and I like it if there are lots of comments for a puzzle, and also, they give you an idea about the puzzle, sometimes, "very easy" comments motivate me to finish and get the points, or "too cute" comments make me wonder aboout the finished puzzle...
Maybe there can be choices for comments, if a solver doesn't want to see the comments, he can turn it off in his profile choices, or in the puzzle pages.. I don't know..it is just my opinion, i like comments..
BEga
PSlast chat meeting was late for me to attend, sorry for that.(I haave to 3 hours to GMT)

Odgovor
17.4.04 15:12 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Sorry, was at the meeting but my computer decided to play up.

I personally only read the comments occasionally and wouldn't miss them if they were gone, but agree that the creators of the puzzles need some sort of feedback.

The reason I wouldn't miss them is some of the rude, really negative comments, especially about some of the simpler puzzles, surely they are meant to be simple and help the kiddlers section, or people or have just discovered this type of puzzle or an authors first attempt at a puzzle. Negative comments can put the creators off and they never bother again and they might just have some brilliant ideas that we never get to see.

I like all the puzzles, simple or otherwise, I don't mind what the pic is of it's the solving that matters to me.

Just as I was chucked off last night i did suggest having a system similar to auction sites, where you can make comments, and then it's the choice of the user whether or not they read them, or a link to message the author directly rather then listing them on the puzzle page, and a link to read them if you wish, don't know if this would be difficult to do or take too much time etc. but they are my suggestions )

Nikki

Odgovor
17.4.04 16:11 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>A new idea that came up during the meeting was having the option to write a comment for a complete MultiGriddler. It would be available only for the people who solved all of the parts, of course.
>
>Since we talked about comments - the old, known discussion about the necessity of the comments came up again. We will always have comments like "I was here" or "too easy" even though these comments are meaningless. We will always have mean comments, and bad language comments. We will always have people who hurt others and people who get hurt.
>
>

i Personally never read them so wouldn't miss them!
Pen

Odgovor
17.4.04 16:12 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Since this is an international site, I've found puzzles that mean nothing to me. Comments posted by other solvers have included explanations and insight to the puzzle's meaning that I find helpful. A good example is the griddler titled "IKEA."

Odgovor
17.4.04 16:27 kot odgovor na hagitm.
As a creator, I really look forward to the comments people make about the puzzle. Most are good for a laugh or a smile which is all the reward I'm looking for.

As a solver, I find the comments can be very helpful. Comments noting that two colours are virtually identical have potentially saved me from having problems with the puzzle.

Even negative comments, when constructive, can be helpful in improving the creators next masterpiece. (Emphasis on CONSTRUCTIVE!)

Therefore, I think the benefits of comments far outweigh any negativity.

Odgovor
17.4.04 16:45 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I can't believe anyone gets upset by the comments - even if they're not constructive! Let's keep them in please

Odgovor
17.4.04 16:54 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Rashea, That is just what I was going to say. With a culturally diverse group, sometimes one doesn't recognize the result and the comments help one understand it.

I don't entirely understand the concerns about comments revealing the result. At the size I usually keep my window, the comments are off screen when I open a puzzle. If I want to see them, I scroll down. If you don't want to see the comments before you solve the puzzle, you don't have to.

I also think it is nice to be able to tell people when a puzzle was much easier than its difficulty rating so they can be encouraged to try it anyway.

I realize comments mean some work for the griddler's team because they sometimes have to remove a comment, but they do add something to the site.

>Since this is an international site, I've found puzzles that mean nothing to me. Comments posted by other solvers have included explanations and insight to the puzzle's meaning that I find helpful. A good example is the griddler titled "IKEA."

Odgovor
17.4.04 18:25 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I don't think we really 'need' comments, but I really like them. The only ones that leave footprints in my heart are the nice ones, so please let the possibility for comments in. And a lot of comments make me smile.

It would be nice to add an extra click or an on/off option for comments for those people that want to solve a puzzle without any clues first. Especially when the title of the puzzle is meant to make the outcome a surprise I like to refrain from reading comments till after solving.

Having the comment section turned off in the kiddlers section is a good idea however. Maybe comment could be turned of if the creator is a kid as well? Technically difficult maybe, but it would be nice. Comment on a kid author is always possible by a personal message anyway.

Tnx 4 listening,

Caro

Odgovor
17.4.04 21:12 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I really wait first comments when I have posted a griddler. Good or bad.
I already know these couple of peoples with rude comments, they doesn't bother me. People afrait many times to say crative comments or say anything negative about the griddler.
Ofcourse it is heartwarming to read nice comments, but I really like to know how I can make my griddlers better. All critic is welcome to me.

I like a lot to read comments about other creators works too. It's fun, and I have really learned new things from comments. (Now I know what is Ankh.)
Mari

Odgovor
17.4.04 23:57 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I vote to keep the comments.

Odgovor
18.4.04 2:31 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Personally, can the comments. I rarely (if ever) read them, and it's just tying up server space and processing power.

Odgovor
18.4.04 13:34 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I almost always read the comments after I finish the griddler. If does annoy me when you read the same comment over and over like "EASY" duh- and "Was here" but I'm getting over it. Lately I've seen more positive comments than nasty negative ones, so somewhere along the line something got through to these nasty people. I think that the comments can be constructive to both the author and the solver. I don't care one way or another if the comments stay or not. If they're there I'll read them if not I won't. If I find a griddler that I really like, I'll send a personal note to the author telling him/her so anyway. It's the zero votes, not the comments that can hurt. You're never going to get these "zero" voters to make a comment. I can usually match up one or two comments with a "zero" vote but what about the other zero votes. Maybe eliminating so many high votes and so many low votes would be the answer to a true popularity score comments or not.

Odgovor
18.4.04 14:58 kot odgovor na hagitm.
YES we do!

I love the commants. I think they add a charm to this site, a personal touch. Some commants are fun to read, some are original and some informative.

As a creator, I keep an eye for new commants on my creations. I love the ones that say something meaningful, good or bad. As a solver I find it useful to know what others thought. I also like them as a way to let the comunity know what I though of a puzzle. It's a good way to give the creators a constructive opinion.

I don't like the irrelevant commants that say "I solved first" or "I was here", and the ones that state the obvious like "easy" for the puzzles with low difficulty. On several occasions I sent a massage to the commanters who wrote those, to let them know what I think. Politely, ofcourse!

And now, a massage to the people

To the creators
Don't be too sensitive. Crual remarks can not kill you, and a constructive critisizm can teach you something. Some people will hate your puzzles, some will love them. Chances are you'll get good remarks for the same puzzle that got negative ones. Take what is helpful and ignore the rest. Keep making puzzles. Some of them might be great! We all depend on you to make us new puzzles. Don't let the critics discourage you! Don't let personal remarks get to you!

To the writers of commants
Be MORE sensitive. Keep your critisizm to the point and don't make it too personal. If you have something negative to say, say it in a constractive manner, letting the creator know what you didn't like. People care about your remarks. It can incourage or discourage a creator, especialy if he or she is young or a beginner. Think first "Is this something I will say to a friend? Is this something I would like people to say to ME?" Your anonimity on this site is not a licence to be crual. Remember We all depend on the authors to make the puzzles.

Thanks for listening... and listening -)
T.

Odgovor
18.4.04 18:00 kot odgovor na hagitm.
i like getting comments about my puzzles, the only ones i dont like are the people that type in "OK" or "EASY" if you have something to put in comments make it worth while. i think, if people can't do that then maybe comments should be taken away. it would be sad to see them go but some people abuse them and its not right.

Odgovor
18.4.04 19:02 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>A new idea that came up during the meeting was having the option to write a comment for a complete MultiGriddler. It would be available only for the people who solved all of the parts, of course.
>
>Since we talked about comments - the old, known discussion about the necessity of the comments came up again. We will always have comments like "I was here" or "too easy" even though these comments are meaningless. We will always have mean comments, and bad language comments. We will always have people who hurt others and people who get hurt.
>

I'm sorry that some comments are mean-spirited, but I do enjoy some of the more clever quips. It's an added bonus to the puzzles. Also, occasionally, though not often, the comments help explain a puzzle to those unfamiliar with another cultures icons.

Odgovor
18.4.04 21:26 kot odgovor na hagitm.
i think the comments are one more thing that makes this place so much better than just solving griddles magazins.
it makes it more fun, and sometimes helps you solve it right or get the picture ( many times i almost gave a zero because i didnt get the picture, but then the comments explained it. which is great, might have missed the coolest pictures otherwise...).

tami

Odgovor
18.4.04 22:17 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>Nope!

Odgovor
19.4.04 1:51 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I vote for keeping them. All of us do not leave them all of the time, but it is nice to be able to compliment a creator for a job well done. It is also a place where a question about the meaning of the puzzle or the title can be asked? These are also helpful.

As for those which are offensive, we may just have to live with them. It is too bad, but there are some people who are not as sensitive to the feelings of others as we would like for them to be. There is always the option of having them removed if those who oversee this site think it should be removed.

I believe that the pros outnumber the cons, and that the comments should be kept.

Odgovor
19.4.04 6:49 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Hi I think comments should be kept,one learns to ignore the irritating comments and read the rest. I agree that one should only be allowed to write a comment once a Multi Griddler is complete ( see my reply to the MultiGriddler question).
Regards
Chantal
>
>
>

Odgovor
19.4.04 14:39 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I don't think we need comments. If most solvers are like me, they keep solved puzzles out of their puzzle list. So, in the end, it's not like the comments section leads to any useful conversational threads. I almost never even look at the comments as far as that goes.

Sacker

Odgovor
19.4.04 20:33 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>I don't think we need comments. If most solvers are like me, they keep solved puzzles out of their puzzle list. So, in the end, it's not like the comments section leads to any useful conversational threads.

I don't know if most solvers are like you, but I'm not. I don't keep the solved puzzles out, and I have been known to return to the comments section of one I liked.

This morning, returning to a puzzle I had previously solved, I noticed someone posted the same (idiotic) comment on more than one puzzle. It made me realize that it would be easier for the puzzle creators to recognize that a negative comment was just left by someone who is a jerk (as opposed to taking it personally) if there was a way to see, perhaps in their profile page, what comments have been left by a specific user. It may also prevent people from being so mean if they know anyone is going to be able to see ALL of what they've said.

I'm sure it would be a programming and logistics nightmare, but it is something that had occurred to me to want in the past when I saw someone posting negatively. At the very least, it would be really nice to be able to link to someone's profile by clicking their name at the comments box. That way you can get a good idea if they're new here, if they've ever put in the effort of creating a puzzle, etc.

Odgovor
20.4.04 19:42 kot odgovor na hagitm.
Yes, Hagit, I think we should leave the comments. I don't know how many of us read the comments, but I definitely belong to the group who do. I enjoy reading them - sometimes before I start to solve (especially the more difficult puzzles), sometimes after I finished (mainly easier ones). And when I really liked the final picture, I wish to thank the creator for pleasing me with what he/she created. And I want also other people - and friends - to know that I liked that particular picture. I know I could post a message directly to the creator, and maybe that is more personal... but as I said before, I want everybody to know what I liked. I don't think I have ever posted a negative comment (since I know how difficult it is to create a meaningful puzzle that would please as many as possible).

As it has already been said by many, there will always be jerks, who offend others - even this perfect and my favourite site cannot be "jerk-free"; and as in real life we have to live with them, we can live with them (and try to ignore them) also here.

Dominika

Odgovor
21.4.04 7:49 kot odgovor na hagitm.
>I don't think we need comments. If most solvers are like me, they keep solved puzzles out of their puzzle list. So, in the end, it's not like the comments section leads to any useful conversational threads. I almost never even look at the comments as far as that goes.

I, too, filter solved puzzles out of my list. However, if I'm finding a puzzle to be particularly troublesome, I like to be able to read the hints that are sometimes left by other uses. I also like to see how other people's opinions compare to mine after I've solved a puzzle.

Keep the comments. I like the idea of a whole puzzle comment for multi-griddlers. It beats leaving such comments on whatever part of the puzzle happened to be the last one that you completed, since not everybody does all of the parts in sequence. (I like to save the easiest part of a multi-griddler for last so that some part of it stays near the top of my list, which I keep sorted in ascending order of difficulty.)

RE: Do we need comments?
Odgovor
20.11.12 23:31 kot odgovor na hagitm.
If you posted "no comment" here, what would it mean?

Odgovor
22.11.12 7:26 kot odgovor na steveo.
why are these posts so old?

Odgovor
22.11.12 11:09 kot odgovor na lioness999999.
lioness999999:
why are these posts so old?

Because this is an old discussion. Our forum goes back a long time by now ;-)
But a few days ago someone found it and added a new reply, that's why it's on top of the list again.

Odgovor
22.11.12 11:12 kot odgovor na steveo.
steveo:
If you posted "no comment" here, what would it mean?
With 'here' you mean in the comment space of the puzzle? My guess is that some people just like to show that they've solved the puzzle.

Odgovor
6.11.13 23:46 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I like the comments

Odgovor
25.11.13 12:50 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I like comments, any comments. Keep them please!

Odgovor
27.11.13 12:21 kot odgovor na ANA_LILI.
I try to solve '7322 Pegasus' on my Ipad. When I got stuck it helped me to struggle on when I read that others had difficulties too in solving this puzzle. An other reason to keep the comments.

Odgovor
27.11.13 17:02 kot odgovor na ANA_LILI.
Any thing to keep Ana happy. I enjoy her trigglers a lot.
Edgar

Odgovor
28.11.13 10:35 kot odgovor na edgarfrancois.
emoticon emoticon emoticon thank you!!!!

Odgovor
29.3.14 14:12 kot odgovor na ANA_LILI.
Is there any way to block someone's comments?

I like to read the comments when I have solved a puzzle. It has started to annoy me to see this one person often commenting very good puzzles in a certain negative way, and I'd rather not see those comments at all. It spoils some of the nice feeling I had after having solved a really nice puzzle and having seen a great picture.

Odgovor
14.5.14 1:43 kot odgovor na hagitm.
I agree with a lot of the feedback.

Comments are great and part of the fun of the site but some of the multis etc could use spoiler warnings 

Forum moderatorji: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.