Suggestions and Developments

Do you want to be able to hide the titles of the puzzles?

Toggle
What do you think about hiding the titles (descriptions) of the puzzles? We already have an option to hide the themes. We can use a simillar switch to hide the title of the puzzles.

But...

The title appears in various pages: the puzzle page, the list of puzzles, the most popular list, etc. Do you want to have it hidden in all pages.

Now you can try the poll. Vote, and tell us what you really want.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Re: Do you want to be able to hide the titles of the puzzles?
Odpověď
2.3.06 14:00 jako reakce na Ra100.
I think it would be better to have the option of not knowing what the puzzle is going to look like. Knowing the title would deter me from doing a given puzzle. It spoils the outcome and I would rather be pleasnatly surprised as the picture develops. Otherwise it's like somone telling you the end of a whodunit mystery before you read it: it spoils the effect.

Now retaining themes makes more sense than retaining titles. Suppose I prefer doing landscapes and not doing cartoon characters. I could pick out an untitled landscape from the category and not be disappointed if Homer Simpson pops up on my puzzle.

I think it would make for a better puzzle to have this option...for those who prefer not to know in advance what they are working on.
+1 (1 Hlasuj)

Odpověď
2.3.06 19:03 jako reakce na Ra100.
I think that it would be good to have such option - to be setup in profile - so if someone does not want to see title - he-she will not see, if somebodz wants to see, or does not know that there can be such option - then will see it

But I do not need this option emoticon
Tomek
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
2.3.06 19:22 jako reakce na Ra100.
"ellipsis":
I think a lot of people are saying no because they think the titles will be hidden permanently and that it won't be an option.

I don't really agree with you, the question was clear to me and I voted the first option because I wouldn't hide the titles even if it was possible. For me, I'd always want to see the titles, they help me choosing the puzzles I want to solve. Although I love the cryptic ones best, like 'Mobile home resident' Chefmomster2 made earlier this month. I love the surprise with those and hiding the title would in this case have spoiled half of the fun!

But of course I won't mind at all if the option would be added as a checkbox. It would be a nice solution for sure. But what about hiding them in the lists as well, would you use that?
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
2.3.06 22:36 jako reakce na Ra100.
Add me to the group of not really caring either way. I don't mind them being there and I wouldn't mind having the option to remove them (It's an option I would use), but it actually happening doesn't matter to me either way.

Additionally, I would want the option to be all or nothing. You either choose to see the titles on all pages or no pages. Would make for some interesting search pages, with (basically) only puzzle sizes/values being shown.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
3.3.06 19:33 jako reakce na Ra100.
i don´t want them to be hidden. actually i got no real reason, i just think there´s no need for a change at that point. emoticon
+1 (1 Hlasuj)

Odpověď
3.3.06 20:09 jako reakce na Ra100.
In the old days when I was making jigsaw puzzles, I always asked somebody that gave me a puzzle for present to cover the picture. It was so much more fun to make a puzzle without any idea of what it was going to be!!
And now I am active on this site I really hate to start those puzzles that have a name without any doubt! There is no surprise in it anymore!
Please give me the opportunity to hide the title!!!
Fineke
P.S. And please, don't say what the picture represents when you give a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
4.3.06 18:04 jako reakce na Ra100.
For me it would be nice if there was a possibility to hide the titles. Sometimes puzzles ar harder when you can't see the titles, I like harder puzzles:!:
This is why I voted the last option.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
4.3.06 21:36 jako reakce na Ra100.
I'm not in favor of hiding the titles, and perhaps for selfish reasons... :oops:

I try to make some creative titles that will become clear only after being solved. (There are a few exceptions to this, of course.) The fun of these titles (or perhaps I flatter myself emoticon ) would be spoiled by already having solved the puzzles. This is also true of the puzzles of many other authors.

I also enjoy being surprised by the outcome, but in truth, even when I know the topic, the authors never fail to surprise me! Even a title like "Lady" can be everything from the dog in the Disney movie, to a grand dame, to a ladybug! emoticon

Of course, as long as hiding them is optional, whatever the Team decides will work for me!

Chef
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
5.3.06 16:45 jako reakce na Ra100.
I'd very much rather have better titles, instead of no titles at all. Maybe an option that goes "show topics instead of titles"...

"fineke":
P.S. And please, don't say what the picture represents when you give a comment!!!
Just don't read the comments until you've finished solving the puzzle! emoticon
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
5.3.06 18:54 jako reakce na Ra100.
Well, when I first began playing Griddlers, it was with the Gameboy game, Mario's Picross. I always enjoyed not knowing exactly what I was making until the puzzle was done and it would be nice to relieve that kind of experience again.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
7.3.06 4:12 jako reakce na Ra100.
"taboo":
Well, when I first began playing Griddlers, it was with the Gameboy game, Mario's Picross. I always enjoyed not knowing exactly what I was making until the puzzle was done and it would be nice to relieve that kind of experience again.

That's my thoughts exactly. I actually stumbled upon here from somewhere a couple months ago, I think it was wikipedia.org or something similar, because I was bored one day and played Mario's Picross 2 for awhile and started looking for some more puzzles like it.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
7.3.06 21:44 jako reakce na Ra100.
Scratch hiding titles.

How about adding a new button on the Griddler listing page next to Show. Let's call it the "Random" button.

Clicking the "Random" button will result in a search being performed for puzzles that match the given parameters, and a puzzle will be randomly chosen from that subset. The puzzle will be displayed to the user without title, theme, comments, or times (basically, all the user sees are the puzzle size, colors, and a Solve button).

Once the puzzle is solved, the normal applet will load for that puzzle, displaying the title, theme, comments, ratings, times, etc.

Special considerations will need to be made to allow users to save and later resume a randomly chosen puzzle.

This idea likens to the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
10.3.06 3:49 jako reakce na Ra100.
Thinking from a programming perspective, it might be easier to scramble the titles than hide them.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
26.3.06 16:54 jako reakce na Ra100.
"I try to make some creative titles that will become clear only after being solved. (There are a few exceptions to this, of course.) The fun of these titles (or perhaps I flatter myself emoticon ) would be spoiled by already having solved the puzzles. This is also true of the puzzles of many other authors.

I agree with ChefMomster that the authors' titles are gems too. For example, "When Did It Happen?" tells you that not only are you solving a puzzle, but there's a riddle to the puzzle (therefore getting 2 for 1). If you hide them, HOW will you know that (or get the humor in the author's thinking when they named the puzzle)?
:roll:
0 (0 Hlasů)

Odpověď
27.8.06 18:10 jako reakce na Ra100.
I would like the option..if i chose to use it to hide the title. emoticon
0 (0 Hlasů)

RE: Re: Do you want to be able to hide the titles of the puzzles?
Odpověď
20.9.18 6:53 jako reakce na Peter Ochs.
I very strongly agrees with omanrover. It's best to put on the main title with questionable title name, not very similar or common ones like 'House', 'Dog' and 'Face'. The Solvers can avoid that puzzle at once and the authors' artwork would be of a big waste even if in small grid panel. If the author whose has create the new puzzle, then he/she should have to make the title bit more mysterious-themed like 'I am stupid and damning' and or 'At Once We Got There . . .' such like that ones. For the Theme text, it can be adjusted to make it 'Hidden' upon on the selection if you don't want it to be known, for instance. Robert.
0 (0 Hlasů)

Moderátoři fóra: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.