Suggestions and Developments

Triddler feature suggestions

Toggle
Triddler feature suggestions
Answer
1/21/04 4:06 AM
Okay, Hagitm finally goaded me into upgrading Java to fix something I was seeing in griddlers so now I'm able to do triddlers. I hadn't been in any hurry to do this as I still have so many griddlers to solve.

The Griddlers Team does so much for us in up grading the site that I feel like an ingrate for making suggestions of more work for them, but I know they ask for suggestions so here goes.

It would be really nice if triddlers had some of the features that griddlers has for making solving easier. I find doing them a bit painful as they don't have the various labor saving features that the Griddler Team has spoiled us with.

A save button.

A darker line every 5 or so rows - it gets really tedious counting out the triangles and I also tend to loose track of which clues are the right ones for the current row as I slant across. (Of course, if the lines are every 5 rows, there will be 10 triangles between lines because of the way the grid works but that should be fine.

An area fill or at least a line fill with the alt key (because perhaps area will be tricky to figure out on a triangle grid.

Color change with number/letter keys -

Magnified clue lines - I'm not quite sure how to do it for the slanting rows but perhaps one could be shown on the left and one on the right

Middle button erase (is this a bug? the middle button seems to just produce the same thing as the left button).

Many of these features would be even more helpful on triddlers than on griddlers because it is so hard to keep track of which clues apply to the row with them slanting and because it is hard to see the clues on all sides on the larger puzzles.

Any of these that could be managed would make solving Triddlers more fun.

Thanks for all you do.
Pat
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Triddler feature suggestions
Answer
1/21/04 8:55 AM as a reply to Pat.
Hey , did you copy all these features from my ToDo list ?

I'll do some of them in next few months.

Bey Ra100

>Okay, Hagatim finally goaded me into upgrading Java to fix something I was seeing in griddlers so now I'm able to do triddlers. I hadn't been in any hurry to do this as I still have so many griddlers to solve.
>
>The Griddlers Team does so much for us in up grading the site that I feel like an ingrate for making suggestions of more work for them, but I know they ask for suggestions so here goes.
>
>It would be really nice if triddlers had some of the features that griddlers has for making solving easier. I find doing them a bit painful as they don't have the various labor saving features that the Griddler Team has spoiled us with.
>
>A save button.
>
>A darker line every 5 or so rows - it gets really tedious counting out the triangles and I also tend to loose track of which clues are the right ones for the current row as I slant across. (Of course, if the lines are every 5 rows, there will be 10 triangles between lines because of the way the grid works but that should be fine.
>
>An area fill or at least a line fill with the alt key (because perhaps area will be tricky to figure out on a triangle grid.
>
>Color change with number/letter keys -
>
>Magnified clue lines - I'm not quite sure how to do it for the slanting rows but perhaps one could be shown on the left and one on the right
>
>Middle button erase (is this a bug? the middle button seems to just produce the same thing as the left button).
>
>Many of these features would be even more helpful on triddlers than on griddlers because it is so hard to keep track of which clues apply to the row with them slanting and because it is hard to see the clues on all sides on the larger puzzles.
>
>Any of these that could be managed would make solving Triddlers more fun.
>
>Thanks for all you do.
>Pat
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/21/04 1:08 PM as a reply to Pat.
>Color change with number/letter keys

this is already here
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/21/04 7:19 PM as a reply to Pat.
>>Color change with number/letter keys
>
>this is already here

Oh, you are right. It just doesn't show the numbers in the color bar and there doesn't seem to be anything in the tutorial to tell about the feature. It could use an extra tools page or something added to the tutorial page to explain the panel.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/21/04 7:21 PM as a reply to Pat.
I forgot a feature. It would be nice to have a green marker show up when a row is filled in correctly as it does in griddlers.

Thanks,
Pat
>Okay, Hagitm finally goaded me into upgrading Java to fix something I was seeing in griddlers so now I'm able to do triddlers. I hadn't been in any hurry to do this as I still have so many griddlers to solve.
>
>The Griddlers Team does so much for us in up grading the site that I feel like an ingrate for making suggestions of more work for them, but I know they ask for suggestions so here goes.
>
>It would be really nice if triddlers had some of the features that griddlers has for making solving easier. I find doing them a bit painful as they don't have the various labor saving features that the Griddler Team has spoiled us with.
>
>A save button.
>
>A darker line every 5 or so rows - it gets really tedious counting out the triangles and I also tend to loose track of which clues are the right ones for the current row as I slant across. (Of course, if the lines are every 5 rows, there will be 10 triangles between lines because of the way the grid works but that should be fine.
>
>An area fill or at least a line fill with the alt key (because perhaps area will be tricky to figure out on a triangle grid.
>
>Color change with number/letter keys -
>
>Magnified clue lines - I'm not quite sure how to do it for the slanting rows but perhaps one could be shown on the left and one on the right
>
>Middle button erase (is this a bug? the middle button seems to just produce the same thing as the left button).
>
>Many of these features would be even more helpful on triddlers than on griddlers because it is so hard to keep track of which clues apply to the row with them slanting and because it is hard to see the clues on all sides on the larger puzzles.
>
>Any of these that could be managed would make solving Triddlers more fun.
>
>Thanks for all you do.
>Pat
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/21/04 8:26 PM as a reply to Pat.
Since I love triddlers, and I do find the solver hard to use, I found ways to make it easier for me by using a feature that only triddlers have. I mean the extra colors that apear on the color choosing line.

I take one unused color, and change it to somthing totally differant from the other colors so it's obvious to me that this is a "temporary" color. I can use that to simulate two features that exist on griddlers

1) I can draw a temporary line along the direction I need, until the edge of the puzzle, to see what clues belong to that line. This is like a guide line.

2) I can use it to fill in an area that can be of a certain color. If there is a certain color that is limited to a special area, and can't be anywhere else in the triddler, I can "highlight" this area, and then it's easier to count triddler cells ("squares") for this color only. This simulates the circle marking on griddles.

All this is, of course, temporary, until ra100 finished his "to do" list.

Happy triddling, everyone -)
T.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/22/04 4:06 AM as a reply to Pat.
Thanks, those suggestions do help.

>Since I love triddlers, and I do find the solver hard to use, I found ways to make it easier for me by using a feature that only triddlers have. I mean the extra colors that apear on the color choosing line.
>
>I take one unused color, and change it to somthing totally differant from the other colors so it's obvious to me that this is a "temporary" color. I can use that to simulate two features that exist on griddlers
>
>1) I can draw a temporary line along the direction I need, until the edge of the puzzle, to see what clues belong to that line. This is like a guide line.
>
>2) I can use it to fill in an area that can be of a certain color. If there is a certain color that is limited to a special area, and can't be anywhere else in the triddler, I can "highlight" this area, and then it's easier to count triddler cells ("squares") for this color only. This simulates the circle marking on griddles.
>
>All this is, of course, temporary, until ra100 finished his "to do" list.
>
>Happy triddling, everyone -)
>T.
0 (0 Votes)

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.