Suggestions and Developments

Who "owns" the puzzles?

Toggle
Who "owns" the puzzles?
Answer
11/3/09 7:18 PM
Maybe it's the wrong forum, but I don't know where else to post it.

I know the concept was invented by two Japanese guys in the 80's, but do they "own" it? or someone else? Do anybody get royalties from the sales and publications? or is it like sudoku which is free to use and publish?
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Who "owns" the puzzles?
Answer
11/3/09 7:45 PM as a reply to Oded.
Hi,

A good question. The concept of this kind of puzzles is not owned by anyone. Just like crosswords or sudokus everyone can create new puzzles without having to pay royalties to someone.

The content of each individual puzzle however is copyrighted. You cannot copy a puzzle from Griddlers and publish it anywhere else without permission of the Griddlers Team. The same thing goes for the software to create a griddler or triddler. This specific code has been designed by the owners of this site and therefor cannot be changed or copied without their permission.

Have fun solving!

Jelga
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/11/09 1:30 AM as a reply to Jelga ..
So does that mean the Griddlers Team owns contributed puzzles? If a puzzle was sold from the Griddlers site are there any royalties to the authors?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/11/09 7:55 AM as a reply to Mud Shark.
mudshark:
So does that mean the Griddlers Team owns contributed puzzles? If a puzzle was sold from the Griddlers site are there any royalties to the authors?

Before the authors - Ra100 should get royalties each time his Workshops are used. Authors couldn't create puzzles without them.

Before Ra100 - we have a free to use website that costs a lot of money and is up and running for 7 years now thanks to the subscribers.

You may find the following thread interesting as well.

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/18/09 4:28 AM as a reply to Hagit Maor.
Hagit,

Good discussion you linked to. I wasn't complaining, just curious about the specifics. I accept that anything I contribute to the site can be used by Griddlers, Inc. (or whatever it is) based on what we as contributors get in return. Otherwise I'm free to sell a puzzle on my own. (Not very likely in my case!)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/18/09 8:47 AM as a reply to Mud Shark.
mudshark:
Otherwise I'm free to sell a puzzle on my own. (Not very likely in my case!)

Actually, we encourage our users to give/suggest to newspapers and magazines puzzles FOR FREE:
Puzzles --> Free Printable Griddlers (to print or publish)

Until this week we have issued 2 new puzzles every week. Right now we are working on that page and changing the cycle of new puzzles to 1 puzzle a day + history of 6 previous days. In other words: we increase the no. of puzzles to 7 puzzle per week. Hopefully, the new page will go online today. :-)

Hagit
0 (0 Votes)

Forum Moderators: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.