RE: New Puzzle list Ra100 2016.07.06. 11:59
RE: New Puzzle list john lever 2016.07.10. 15:52
RE: New Puzzle list bvaanhold . 2016.07.25. 18:20
RE: New Puzzle list Ra100 2016.07.30. 7:14
RE: New Puzzle list bvaanhold . 2016.08.02. 23:19
New Puzzle list
Válasz
2016.06.06. 8:41
We are working on new format of puzzle listing. The demo version is available here.
We plan to implement also some predefined categories and bookmars of filters. 
How do you like it?
What features are you missing?
Do you need swithch to different ( table ) listing?
Do you need pagination? 
Is the speed fast enough ? 

Rasto
+1 (1 Szavazás)

RE: New Puzzle list
Válasz
2016.06.06. 10:49 válaszként erre: Ra100.
The biggest improvement I can suggest is that I'd like to see multi-part puzzles represented by some sort of summary.  If I'm searching for puzzles with 20 or more parts, I don't really need to see a separate listing for each part of a given puzzle.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.06. 11:06 válaszként erre: Thok.
Exactly, also OP1 suggested this. In iGridd webstart we have separate list of multis and separate filters.
When we wanted to make separate listing of multis, some users did not like it because they wanted to find parts of multi by points.

For single puzzles there are filters - size/colors/triangles/points/solved/voted
For multi there are filters - parts, max part size, max part colors, max part triangles, total points, solved all, solved partialy, voted

These could be two lists. Single puzzles would have checkbox - include parts of multi. (actually this is it except the parts)
The question is - how to represent thumbnail of multi? Really large multi has 100 parts and it is 500x500 pixels. Not solved is easy - it is just a grid of parts. For fully solved puzzle it could be complete solution downscaled. For partially solved puzzle it can't be 100 images, it is just too much. So it must be the grid maybe with some progressbar on it.

Rasto
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.07. 13:48 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I also don't like the new list with these little pictures and don't see the benefits. It's giving me a headache to see all those little pictures. The old manner was quick to search.
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.08. 1:01 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I agree that the little pictures are more distracting than the benefit they add and it makes it much more difficult to just scan a list of pictures.

Definitely split it into different pages for both the list of puzzles and the puzzles themselves. It agian makes it easier to skip to a particular spot and I find in other context that the "continuous page" will load the first few fine but very quickly slow down my entire computer to the point that I can no longer use the page. Also once you click on a puzzle I think the landing page for it ought to be a seperate page-often I will copy the links of several puzzles I want to do later or I will have to refresh the page or something of the sort and unless each puzzle has a seperate URL that becomes almost impossible to deal with.

When you do get the additional details about a particular puzzle in the mini-window the new format makes it so that (for me) the category information is much more apparent than the puzzle title or ID and makes it look like the category is the title. This may be because it is closer to the actual puzzle and not (noticably) smaller, or perhaps just switching the two would work.

You may plan on changing this but I don't see any current way to go from a particular puzzle that you like (i.e. a picture of lions) and decide that you want to do more pictures like that and go to that category so you're only shown lion pictures (for example). On a related note, in the new format I don't see a way to search by description, author, or ID which is very nice, especially if you have friends making puzzles and want to search for them.

Finally, in the new layout I don't see any option to hide the titles or categories for puzzles which is a featue I really enjoy. That way as I'm completing the puzzle I can try to guess what it's going to be as I go along and my expectations of what a lion might look like won't influence my puzzle solving. Even if this feature is added I think the new layout would make it much more difficult to navigate if someone is using that feature.

Thank you for the opportunity to give this feedback and I may be adding more as I explore further.
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.06.08. 1:12 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Sorry....not a fan of either the list layout or the new solving windows. 
+4 (4 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.08. 9:51 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Sorry Rasto but I do not like this new format.    I see no benefit from the picture and it makes the list longer and more cumbersome.   I also like the current listing which allows you to  look at certain types of griddlers such as black and white small, medium, large - colour small, medium, large - multis small, medium, large.    Lets not do change for change sake, the current list is good don't fix things that are not broke.    Please please please retain the current listing format even if it is as an "option" similar to how you had the option for showing the individual griddlers in the old or new solving  formats
+4 (4 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.08. 14:28 válaszként erre: Anita ..
I have to say I am not a fan of all those pictures on the page...Too busy and unneccessary in my opinion.

I like the list the way it is now.
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.08. 16:59 válaszként erre: Ra100.
The thumnails just slows down the loading process. Pages are usefull to go to a given time period without loading everything that came after it. The new search option are an improvement.
Edgar
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.10. 2:37 válaszként erre: Ra100.
The page that grows: Before, I could go directly to page 17. How can I do that on the new list?
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.06.10. 5:53 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I dislike the new layout. I know what an empty griddler looks like, I do not need a graphical representation. The current list view allows one to parse much more information than thumbnails for the same layout space. I did not see a way to load a specific puzzle by ID, though I'm sure that will be added. I prefer pagination on any site I visit, here it's useful to quickly get where I choose.

Colors are fine. The page loads quickly, even when scrolling to load more puzzles.

I do not mind the modal for solving, however it is currently missing many of the site links (themes, next/previous puzzle, etc.) that I would prefer to see.

These changes appear to be an attempt to make the site more mobile friendly, big tiles to mash with fat fingers. Mobile is where the money is now, I understand. Just please don't forget about the dinosaurs, such as myself, on a desktop.
+3 (3 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.10. 6:17 válaszként erre: . ..
You'v got the point. It is about mobile. The switch between views is not a problem. I have to only solve pagination -I think that it can go together with view. Table view will have pagination, tiles view will have scrolling. 
Yesterday I was working on themes selection. It will be pop-up dialog instead of seaprate page. As it is now it is a bit confusing.

On Sunday I'll deploy new test version.
Rasto 
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.10. 8:48 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto Ra100We are working on new format of puzzle listing. The demo version is available here.
We plan to implement also some predefined categories and bookmars of filters. 
How do you like it?
What features are you missing?
Do you need swithch to different ( table ) listing?
Do you need pagination? 
Is the speed fast enough ? 

Rasto

What I like about the new listing format is the scrolling at the bottom of the list. This feauture would specifically be helpful after having applied some very specific filters. It is nice to see all puzzles from for example 1 author together at one page only.This feauture however is also a bit of a concern to me when randomly browsing for puzzles to solve. As I understand correctly, it is getting a lot more difficult to get to the older puzzles because of the scrolling. If I would like to solve all puzzles in a certain category, it is getting very hard to scroll through all the pages over and over again to find the next puzzle to solve. A page index would still be very helpful for that matter.

Personally I never look at an empty puzzle to make a decission for solving it or not. For me, comments and number of points are the most relevant to see. So I'm not sure about the added value of showing the thumbnails for the way that I use the website.

Speed of scrolling is OK by the way.

As for the filtering, it would be great to see a summary of applied filters on top of the page, since they stay hidden after applying. Not sure if I overlooked that though.

On a somewhat related matter, I would be very grateful if you would be able to give authors the option to suggest a category when submitting a puzzle. I know it is in a very different part of the website, but stil it could save both author and editor some time and possibly frowning emoticon.

Thanks for continously trying to improve our website Rasto!
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.23. 8:16 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto, Just viewed the update you did (about Sunday 12th) and this is much improved particularly as you have provided the list option which makes it similar to the current format.   Thank You.   
As regards additional items I would like to see that are in the current format but not the proposed new format they are:
1.   can you include in the "predefined list" an option for just showing "new" puzzles similar to the new tab in the current format.   This would save searching for just those newpuzzles which could cover all categories.
2.   In the current format it is possible to save three "user defined" selection options , could you include that in the ew format as well please.
3.   This may be there but I could not spot it, but is there a way to find "saved puzzles" in the new format or does the user just need to remember where they were?

Thanks again for listening to the comments provided by the users
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.23. 8:25 válaszként erre: john lever.
Hi, thank you for feedback.
1. The default view shows ALL puzzles ordere the newest on the top. So it is basically hte New section .
2. Save filters - yes, it is on TODO list . This feature is for subscribers. Actully now it is even better, you can bookmark the URL from browser , it contains all search parameters. 
3. There are not only Saved but also Most popular missing. Those categories should not be combined with other filters/sorting . I am considering to put them somewhere else in menu.

Rasto
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.06.30. 13:47 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Hi, this is not implemented yet. For you there is still the old layout - and also for all old users which used to use site in certain way.
You can open any puzzle and just replace the ID in URL as I do.
How ever any suggestions where to put puzzle ID input field are welcome. I would put it to section More where author and theme is.
Rasto

P.S. Save fitler is aslo on TODO list.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.30. 14:27 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto Ra100, 

Thanks for all your work. I know it has take a lot of time. Not everybody will be happy about it, but I am. 

What I personally love with the new search list, is the voted filter. I thought I voted on all my solved puzzles, but now I can see that I missed a few. 
The next thing I really like is that you can see all puzzles, normal or multi without any problems in 1 list. It does make my live a bit easier. I don't have to change the category. 

The only thing I don't like is the solving applet. The java applet had a lot of nice options and a beautiful design, but I know that there is not much you can do about it. 
I will use the iGridd solving applet for the large puzzles.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.30. 18:12 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Bhaskar Babu YerubandiWhat is the functionality of "x" in Parts button (are what ever that is)?
It is the delete button. If you click on it, you will remove the filter from the search. 
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.06.30. 23:23 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Okay...appreaciate all the work that goes into this site, but very frustrated right now.  The changes I make to the "list" to get what I want and how I want it sorted are NOT sticking.  Can't stand the new lay out.  Then in the puzzle window....not liking the new image at all and can't figure out how to you change the color????  I want my backgrounds light, but then I can't change the puzzle colors so the one isn't white.  I used to just double click on the color I wanted changed, but it does nothing now.  I sure how this is still a work in progress.....  HELP emoticon
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.01. 5:55 válaszként erre: Susan Bolam.
Hi Susan, there still the old puzzle list and Java solver waiting for you in the menu Puzzles-> the socond link to Griddlers. 

And yes, the filter is now persistent during the session only. I plan to store it in user profile.

Rasto. 
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.01. 7:59 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Hi Ras, now thatI am having to use the new format I have spotted an additional adjustment required:   In the pre defined lists for B&W and Colour you use the size 0-15 for small, 20-50 for large, and 60-100 for extra large.   Unfortunately that results in the 15-20 and 50-60 puzzles being omitted from any of the lists.   Could you please amend the large to be 15-50 and extra large to be 50-100 in order to fill in these gaps.    Also I note that the "medium" version of B&W and Colour has been dropped, for my information could you let me know what the sizes used to be for the old small medium and large.
PS just realised I have not yet reviewed in detail the predefined multi options so not sure if my point above applies to them as well I assume you will check as you make the amendments.   Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into this site and your willingness to seek out and listen to user feedback..
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.01. 10:49 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I have an additional request as well (if possible). When I choose Puzzles - Griddlers, I see the new list format per default. Would it be possible for the system to remember my settings/preferences so that I do not need to switsh to list format when I go to Griddlers next time?
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.07.02. 2:12 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I have been a member of this site since 2004.  I absolutely ABHOR the new solving window.  It is difficult to change colors, the contrast makes it nearly impossible to read the numbers in the grid, the grid line color default is almost unseeable when solving, the x & o markings are faint - overall it is stressful, not enjoyable.  Please change it back.
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.07.02. 16:09 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto,

The new format must have been a lot of work. Thank you for your efforts. A few initial concerns:

1. The puzzle name is not displayed on the solving window.
2. Setting filters will not allow the display of 20x20 ONLY.

Steve
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.02. 22:17 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I don't seem to be able to get to alot of the puzzles any more.  If I search by large multi I can only get 332 pages of 1500! 
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.03. 11:05 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I like the new format!   It seems very clear and easy to use to me.   Thank you so much for your continued efforts.   I do echo one question from another solver --- can you     tell us what the former size limits were for the B&W Medium and Color Medium puzzles?  

"Krop" (susan)
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.03. 13:53 válaszként erre: a v.
This bug is fixed. 
We have some new features too:
  • for all users - filters are stored so when you return back next day, you will the same filters
  • for subscribers - you can store current configuration as named filter. Check menu Predifined filters. It is limited to 5 filters. 
Rasto
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.04. 6:08 válaszként erre: Ra100.
I still can only get to a small proportion of the puzzles!  330 pages out of 1500 large multi!
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.04. 6:11 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto Ra100
  • for subscribers - you can store current configuration as named filter. Check menu Predifined filters. It is limited to 5 filters. 

Is it possible to remove a custom named filter?
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.04. 8:39 válaszként erre: Sieuwe.
On friday ;-) 
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.04. 11:04 válaszként erre: Ra100.

This filter doesn't work for me. I chose "order by mid time - ascending" and "only not solved". When I press my saved choice I get all griddlers sorted by ID descended.

And another thing: why I see griddlers not solved when I choose "Most popular griddlers." I know I have solved all "singles - all times"  but I can't see any of them. If I click on the "Details" only then I can see the picture.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.05. 0:15 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Overall I'm happy with the new compromise format (although I still prefered the old filters and that I could have one set of filters "saved" for multi puzzles and a different one saved for single gridlers) but I'm noticing that on the individual page for each puzzle even though I have clicked "hide theme" it hides the theme but it displays it elsewhere. As you can see in the screenshot I attached it says "Theme: Hidden" but immediately below that it shows the theme, and even more prominently than the "hidden" one. Please fix this, I really like having the puzzles be a surprise as I solve them.

Mellékletek:

Melléklet

0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.06. 11:59 válaszként erre: iluv2griddle.
Fixed. Have a nice day.
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.06. 13:56 válaszként erre: Olga Perhaj.
Hi Olga, the filter is fixed and we also have a "Delete filter" function. 
Rasto
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.06. 14:14 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto Ra100Hi Olga, the filter is fixed and we also have a "Delete filter" function. 
Rasto
Thanks, this works now.

What about the other thing: "Most popular griddlers" are still not seen.  Attached is what I see. All these griddlers I've already solved.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.07. 12:03 válaszként erre: Olga Perhaj.
What about the other thing: "Most popular griddlers" are still not seen.  Attached is what I see. All these griddlers I've already solved.

It works. Thanks.
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.07.07. 12:15 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto Ra100Hi Olga, the filter is fixed and we also have a "Delete filter" function. 
Rasto
That's days before friday ;).

Thanks for the quick fix.
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.07.07. 12:19 válaszként erre: Sieuwe.
And I also fixed "solved" in Most popular lists. Well, we had a holiday on Tueasday so I did some griddlers. 
+3 (3 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.09. 2:23 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto, just popping in to say thanks for including the list view. The chance of losing that is what really fuelled my earlier negativity. I've only had time to do one griddler, but I found no problems with what I've interacted. All in all I say the update is for the positive.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.10. 15:52 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Rasto,    having now had time to get used to using the new format for puzzle solving I thought it might now be appropriate to give feedback on the format and more importantly some suggestions for consideration either now or during future upgrades.
Firstly although I must confess to still missing the old format I have now got used to this new set up - I think the main problem is the puzzles now seem to be brighter and causing "glare" almost as though everything is now in "bold",    I do however see the benefit of moving away from Java which was becoming more troublesome, a step which would have to have been done at sometime.    Also for such a major change it did from a practical viewpoint seem to go smoothly - well done.
As regards suggestions for the future I appologise if many of these look like things we should have said we wanted to keep, its always easier to identify the items you miss after a change rather than specify in advance what you really liked to have or keep.   So here is my list for future considerations, once you have rested from the hard workof the last few weeks:

1.   Make the default background colour the darker grey which is currently second in the list of choices, its far easier on the eyes.
2.   for the magnifying ruler which is currently positioned in the top left of the screen give an option for them to be top right for the rows and bottom left for the columns as was the case in the past. At the moment they tend to get lost with the other information in the top left which makes it difficult to see them.    Also if they could be put in a header row (and column) it would stop them getting merged in and lost with the normal row and column clues on puzzles that exceed the screen size and require scrolling.
3.   As regards the "green/red" indicator row/column thank you for making them larger previously they were too narrow and difficult to click on, however  could you do two things with them :
    a.   lock them on the screen so they are visible during larger puzzle solving where we have to scroll up/down and left/right.
    b.  reintroduce the option to double click on the indicator row/column so as to automatically fill all unfilled spaces with the puzzle background "colour 1"
4.  As a shortcut for changing individual colours in a puzzle have the previous option of double clicking the colour in the clue section to bring up the pallette for alternative colour selection.
5.  If possible, could the puzzle selection page always open with whatever selection criteria we last input rather than the current default of the new puzzle selection, that way when we log on the next time we can always continue from where we left off rather than reinputting the selection criteria.
+1 (1 Szavazás)

Válasz
2016.07.12. 21:51 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Hi Rasto,

I just tested the filter delete option. If I'm not mistaken, it's the red "delete crosses" I need to click in order to remove a specific filter, correct? These do not seem to work properly, in that manner that nothing happens when I click these.

Furthermore, this is actually the first time I tried solving a griddler from picking one from the list. I have not been solving other puzzles that the ones I have created myself as an author, for a while. When I choose my own puzzle to solve from my stats overview, I seem to be directed to the old environment (which I actually do prefer emoticon). Is tis behavior you would expect? If so, is there a way for me to solve other puzzles in the same old environment?
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.25. 18:20 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Hi Rasto,

If you have some time left (most improbably) could you have a look at my post above? The selection criteria work properly. However, deleting these criteria doesn't seem to work. When clicking the red crosses, nothing hapens.

I browse the web using IE 11, Windows 7.

Thanks.
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.07.30. 7:14 válaszként erre: bvaanhold ..
Finally I managed to fix it.
Rasto
+2 (2 Szavazatok)

Válasz
2016.08.02. 23:19 válaszként erre: Ra100.
Thanks a lot Rasto!
0 (0 Szavazatok)

Fórum moderátorok: griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.