How to use the Site

I'm back, but so confused!

Alterna
I'm back, but so confused!
Risposta
03/05/18 4.39
I have a new computer.  Windows 10 surface book.  I thought it would be great for Griddlers, but I miss iGridd.  Does it not work in Win10?  I tried a puzzle on the regular site, which was kind of like iGridd, but hard to use.  Advice?  Also is there a way to transfer my old saved puzzles from XP computer to finish on the new one?  Thanks!  It's good to be back.
0 (0 Voti)

RE: I'm back, but so confused!
Risposta
03/05/18 12.41 come risposta a JC.
I am using iGridd with Windows 10. If you open your iGridd folder there is a sub-folder called gsaved and you can copy your save puzzle from there.
Edgar
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
04/05/18 6.02 come risposta a Edgar Martineau.
Great!  Thanks!  But...any idea how I can get iGridd onto my new computer, as well as the data?   I can't find a way to download it...  Doesn't it have to install stuff into Windows?
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
04/05/18 6.51 come risposta a JC.
Okay.  I was so excited that I'd be able to use Java again with the new computer, but after so more digging around just now, I found out that none of my browsers support Java, and that there's a legacy IE on the computer which might, but which comes with a stern security warning.  Please help!?!

Added:  I figured out how to get IE set up with Java.  I still can't figure out how to download iGridd.  I tried Webstart, but it's so teeny tiny I can't see the words, and it doesn't wwork with Magnifier.

Next addition:  I was wrong, I think.  It did download.  There's an icon.  It opens.  But it's still teeny tiny.  Now what??
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
05/05/18 19.02 come risposta a JC.
You can use magnify feature by windows. just type magnify (and Enter)  in the command line in window start menu.
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
07/05/18 22.53 come risposta a Elad.
Thanks, Elad!  I had tried that before, and failed, but on your advice I messed around with it some more and got it to work so I can get it visible if my face is near the screen.  I may need to get a Griddlers monitor. emoticon
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
29/06/18 0.24 come risposta a JC.
So, it's been awhile.  I've been enjoying Griddlers on the Surface Book, but not as much as on the old desktop with a bigger screen and a mouse.  I thought I should report on what works.

the Windows magnifier does work for the login panes.  Use Windows button and the plus key (no shift) to turn it on and again to increase the magnification.

With iGridd, it takes longer on wi-fi to populate the puzzle titles, so give it awhile.  I did find my old saved puzzles, including MissTress, which I would have hated to lose, downloaded automatically.  I still have to get into my old ocmputer to trasfer the locally saved puzzles.

Once the magnification is set, the magnifier window can be minimized.  I haven't figured out how to get rid of the bards on the edges of the screen, however.

Working a griddler is easier if I maximize the window.  Then I can move the puzzle around by moving the track pad pointer, and get away from the magnifier bars.

The Surface Pen works, but has terrible lag for long lines and areas.  The lines draw and partially redraw, and follow in and out if the pen goes over the line, but it does correct to the right line if you end in the right place.  There's a huge amount of lag, however, and there's a kind of will 'o the wisp that runs along the line showing its thoughts.  When it's ready, the guide lines on the clues start moving again.  One of the great things is that the pen has a pointer that shows on the screen when you just point at it and the guidelines move as you hover the pen and move it.  That's brilliant!  But if you don't wait for the will o' the wisp and the guidelines to move, the commands get combined and you have to wait for it to slowly fill the whole area that you didn't want filled before you can undo it.  

The iOS app with Apple Pencil doesn't have lag, but it also doesn't have the pointer, and it bangs against the screen, whereas the Surface Pen has a soft touch.  And there aren't many puzzles in the iOS app.

Another good thing about the Surface Pen is how it works.  You can put the color in the "left" by tapping quickly, and the background in the "right" by touching and holding.  Use the same gestures to color with.  And with the Surfacebook there's full access to the markings for x's and o's, using the same gestures.

I got  a dock, and maybe I'll get it set up for Griddlers with a big monitor and mouse, but it's also fun going full on lap top, while lounging with the TV. emoticon

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who might search for Surface book tips. emoticon
0 (0 Voti)

Risposta
02/07/18 15.14 come risposta a JC.
Thank you for sharing.
0 (0 Voti)

Moderatori del forum griddlers_team, elad, Ra100, chefmomster2, domi77, dreamtheater, elimaor, ElinaMaria, Jeltje, sslug, cosmictrombonis, raist.
Please read the Board-wide Policies before you start using this forum.